Santa:Yes or No?

If it doesn't pertain to Adventures in Odyssey, you've stepped into the right place! Grab a chair, and talk about your favorite books, TV shows, join a debate, or just be random!

Should parents do Santa?

Poll ended at Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:59 pm

Yes, there's nothing wrong with it!
29%
Maybe, I haven't really though about it/haven't decided
No votes
No, parents shouldn't do Santa
71%

Total votes: 21

Rosy
Cookie Dough

Santa:Yes or No?

I wanted to know you guy's opinion on Santa. I personally don't see the point of lying to your kids, then, when they get "old enough", to say, "You know all that stuff I told you about Santa Claus? Yeah, well it was all a lie, he's not real." That's not a very good example to kids in being honest, even about little things. My parents never did Santa or the Easter Bunny. They did do the Tooth Fairy, but we knew it was our mom and she knew that we knew, so we all just played along. :D So what do you guys think?

I just wanted to add, that if you do have Santa, I'm not trying to accuse you of anything, and I hope no ones takes offence from what I'm saying. :D
Last edited by Rosy on Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
꿈. 희망. 전진.
ArnoldtheRubberDucky
Butter Pecan

underseasie wrote:I wanted to know you guy's opinion on Santa. I personally don't see the point of lying to your kids, then, when they get "old enough", to say, "You know all that stuff I told you about Santa Claus? Yeah, well it was all a lie, he's not real." That's not a very good example to kids in being honest, even about little things. My parents never did Santa or the Easter Bunny. They did do the Tooth Fairy, but we knew it was our mom and she knew that we knew, so we all just played along. :D So what do you guys think?
This is a terrific topic. And I completely agree. My sister still believes in Santa. I don't believe parents should lie either. An alternative is they could do the same thing you did with The Tooth Fairy with Santa, playing along but knowing that he's not real.
Sir Arnold, Knight of the Order of Augustine, Debate Vampire
Mr. Yorp wrote:You don't need a degree to shovel manure.
EugeneforPresident
Raspberry Ripple

I'm really not sure, but it is a fun thing to do with your kids. I loved setting out cookies and milk for Santa on Christmas Eve, and looking out my window for Rudolph when I was little. Then waking up to find presents and no milk and cookies was always fun. When my parents told me I had already kinda figured it out, and I wasn't very disappointed. What do you think underseasie?
Eugene would be the best President, don't you think?
I'm a member of the:
Modest Cheerleaders Club!
Superheros Club!
Totally Tubular Commenting Club!
Doll Lovers Club!
Soda Shop Sisters Club!
Emily? Well, I'm in the middle somewhere.
ImageImage
HannahJ.
Mocha Jamocha

I have never believed in Santa..
Why do nothing when you can Dance?
Rosy
Cookie Dough

EugeneforPresident wrote:I'm really not sure, but it is a fun thing to do with your kids. I loved setting out cookies and milk for Santa on Christmas Eve, and looking out my window for Rudolph when I was little. Then waking up to find presents and no milk and cookies was always fun. When my parents told me I had already kinda figured it out, and I wasn't very disappointed. What do you think underseasie?
Yes, it probably was really fun, but I think that the is so much focus on Santa nowadays that I think I'd rather tell my kids about Jesus then have then distracted from what Christmas is really all about. Ever since I was little, because my parents had never done Santa, I kinda thought it was a little strange that all these kids believed in something that I knew wasn't real. But I guess I can't really say that it wouldn't be fun for kids, because, well, I've said bunch already.
꿈. 희망. 전진.
Tea Ess
Pineapple Whip

The main problem for our family is that all our relatives do it, and before we moved, two families we were very close to also did Santa. So, with my sister and I, my parents really weren't sure what to do. From the beginning, Santa was never really a big deal. Our parents never endorsed or elaborated him, so it wasn't a very important part of Christmas for us. We half believed in Santa for a couple years, but we knew from pretty much day 1 that it was our parents who stuffed the stockings. We weren't very old when we asked our parents if he was real (for some odd reason, we asked in the middle of May). Our parents told us then and there that he was not real, but had stemmed from Saint Nicholas. Their main problem with Santa and the tooth fairy was that we may not ever take their word about important things, like biblical truths and the resurrection of Jesus.

In absolutely no way am I insulting my sister, she is a wonderful person who has great passion and determination. She also has no problem with stating her opinions openly. Thus, my older younger brother found out about Santa when he was 3.5. She was also the reason my parents chose to wait until we asked about Santa to tell us. They didn't want to tell us right away, because our cousins would have been in for a shock the next Christmas! As for my younger younger brother, he had never even heard of Santa, and the first time he saw him was at a mall. He thought the man was in a Halloween costume! So,we aren't the most liberal or conservative family when it comes to Santa, we are somewhat in between.
"Happy Birthday to Hot Leaf Water Ess!" - Belle
Suzy Lou Foolish
Peanut Butter Cup

Alright, may I be bold about this? Underseasie- I totally agree with what you said, by the way.
I don't believe in Santa and if I have kids some day, they won't either. First of all, It would be a lie to tell my innocent little children that there's this big, fat, old guy that creeps on them all the time and knows when they are sleeping or awake, or whether they've been good or not. Then on Christmas morning he rides around on a flying sleigh with a bunch of flying animals and stops at every house on Christmas morning and leaves the good kids presents, when the credit for those gifts should be going to me and their dad! (I mean, we're paying for them...so psh, we should at least be appreciated for it)

Second of all, it's supposed to be a remembrance of Christ birth that we are celebrating. Why in the tarnation would we put our focus on something that isn't even real, when Jesus came to live as a man on this awful earth for over thirty years and went through a terrible death to save us from our sins. (including the untruths we tell our kids about Santa Claus. No offense, people) Its ridiculous, if I may put it simply!

So yeah, thats what I think. I hope I wasn't way to harsh...and if you all disagree with me, its okay- I still love all of you!:D
Rosy
Cookie Dough

suzylou wrote:Alright, may I be bold about this? Underseasie- I totally agree with what you said, by the way.
I don't believe in Santa and if I have kids some day, they won't either. First of all, It would be a lie to tell my innocent little children that there's this big, fat, old guy that creeps on them all the time and knows when they are sleeping or awake, or whether they've been good or not. Then on Christmas morning he rides around on a flying sleigh with a bunch of flying animals and stops at every house on Christmas morning and leaves the good kids presents, when the credit for those gifts should be going to me and their dad! (I mean, we're paying for them...so psh, we should at least be appreciated for it)

Second of all, it's supposed to be a remembrance of Christ birth that we are celebrating. Why in the tarnation would we put our focus on something that isn't even real, when Jesus came to live as a man on this awful earth for over thirty years and went through a terrible death to save us from our sins. (including the untruths we tell our kids about Santa Claus. No offense, people) Its ridiculous, if I may put it simply!

So yeah, thats what I think. I hope I wasn't way to harsh...and if you all disagree with me, its okay- I still love all of you!:D
Wow, you described this even better than I did! If my parents had told me when I was little that there was this guy (besides Jesus) who was watching my every move, I (and my sister to, most likely) would have had nightmares. I mean, with Jesus it's one thing, because, he's, well, God's Son, but with this human guy watching me, it might have been kinda scary for me, especially the part where he brakes into the house. I never would have been able to go to sleep on Christmas Eve.
꿈. 희망. 전진.
SparkyHappyGiraffe
Fudge Marble

Hey, if you tell my siblings that there's no Santa then what will I get to eat on Christmas Eve? It's a Christmas tradition for the younger kids in our family to put out cookies for Santa and for everyone who knows the truth about Santa to eat the cookies after the kids go to bed! :mrgreen:
And I think that Santa is a perfectly fine thing to tell your kids about. As long as you just leave it as a guy who brings you presents, not a magical guy who is watching you constantly.
Wretched Sinner
Lemon Meringue

I should have known that Santa and Tooth Fairy was my mom. Once when the Tooth Fairy left me a gift it had a note saying I should "share with my sister"
ArnoldtheRubberDucky
Butter Pecan

I just posted about this topic on my blog. Check out The U.S.S. Response page.
Sir Arnold, Knight of the Order of Augustine, Debate Vampire
Mr. Yorp wrote:You don't need a degree to shovel manure.
Wretched Sinner
Lemon Meringue

CreativeThinker101 wrote:I just posted about this topic on my blog. Check out The U.S.S. Response page.
I just checked it out. GREAT JOB on that post.
EugeneforPresident
Raspberry Ripple

I checked it out too!! GReat job!!
Eugene would be the best President, don't you think?
I'm a member of the:
Modest Cheerleaders Club!
Superheros Club!
Totally Tubular Commenting Club!
Doll Lovers Club!
Soda Shop Sisters Club!
Emily? Well, I'm in the middle somewhere.
ImageImage
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

This harks back to the comment I left on the discussion on Seth Young in the Character Discussion forum no one has replied to yet. I asked what a lie really is. Is a lie just an untruth? Or is it an untruth which we know can be truly harmful? My parents had me believe in Santa, though not the Easter Bunny. I like to think would not have swallowed that, as the Bunny isn't even a person, to state the obvious, but I probably would've. When I found out, it was because I simply saw too many contradictions I didn't as a younger person. I asked my mom. She told me. I wasn't hurt or mad. If anything, just a little confused. This confusion led to me to thinking about a faith and believing. It was a valuable lesson. I realized I hadn't lost Santa. The memories from believing him were part of my childhood. We're all children, and always will be. My parent's stories weren't lies. They were untruths. That's different. All mere untruths have truth in them.
Those hours I mentioned before... talking of Santa and elves with my brother into the night... asking my parents countless questions... looking with wonder-filled eyes at our stockings on Christmas Eve... They used my time in a wonderful way, not wasteful one. What they have left behind, I will always treasure. I still look to the sky in wonder... I still look around me, wondering just how much I'm missing... I still know there are things we can never see... I still am confused by our arrogance in holding that we know so much that magic and mysterious being cannot exist, merely because WE are incapable of understanding them... I still stand ready to defend my beliefs against those who call me childish for them...
I still believe in Santa.
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
gabbygirl17
Mint Chocolate Chip

My parents dont do Santa. none of my siblings believe in Santa. But just for fun we leave cookies or candy and milk for santa. One time Santa left "his" hat in our chimney doors. My grandparents say its from Santa buts its for fun... :) I dont believe in Santa but i know i think maybe a couple of people who do. yepper..
"Your words were found, and I ate them, and your words became to me a joy and the delight of my heart, for I am called by your name, O Lord, God of hosts." - Jeremiah 15:16
Rosy
Cookie Dough

CreativeThinker101 wrote:I just posted about this topic on my blog. Check out The U.S.S. Response page.
Thanks! :) It was really good!
꿈. 희망. 전진.
C-guy
Fudge Marble
Location: ►On the Lost island running from Rapid Rabbits Rashly Rushing Rapidly at me‼◄

I believe that if the children know that Santa isn't real, then it's okay to pretend. But if your fooling someone to believe that isn't true, then just read the bible and that'll change your view.
862 comments and counting...
ImageLeader of the Quadruple T and Double C Club.

Check out 1 of the S.S.'s most popular topics: Ruin a Wish

Emily's Okay...
NarniaQA Guy
Cookies & Creme

I dont agree with saying that the Santa from the North pole is real, but the guy who was a saint? Yeah, I agree with that. My main problem with it is, yes, it's lying, also when you tell your kids, they might start doubting other things too, like what if it was the same for Jesus as for Santa?
Owned by Audrey, My love. <3 baecon is amazing.
Cardsfan1113
Vanilla

underseasie wrote:I wanted to know you guy's opinion on Santa. I personally don't see the point of lying to your kids, then, when they get "old enough", to say, "You know all that stuff I told you about Santa Claus? Yeah, well it was all a lie, he's not real." That's not a very good example to kids in being honest, even about little things. My parents never did Santa or the Easter Bunny. They did do the Tooth Fairy, but we knew it was our mom and she knew that we knew, so we all just played along. :D So what do you guys think?

I just wanted to add, that if you do have Santa, I'm not trying to accuse you of anything, and I hope no ones takes offence from what I'm saying. :D
I agree, We never did Santa as little kids. My mom's reasoning: if we tell them Santa is real and then reveal the truth later, then maybe they'll be less likely to believe in Jesus. I'm not personally opposed to it, though.
GabrielleFandomGirl
Fudge Marble

I make my brother believe in Santa, but he is only 7, so I still play along.
"What-ever."- Pound Foolish

E.R.K.

"Why are you cutting a table with a chainsaw...?"