Something Old, Something New, Parts 1 & 2

Grab your AIO albums, and find a table! What makes your favorite episode the best? Have an episode you really dislike? This is the place to review and discuss AIO episodes and albums.

How Would YOU Rate "Something Old, Something New (Parts 1 & 2)?

1 - I Hated It.
10%
2- I really disliked it.
No votes
3 - It was almost cool...
3%
4 - I liked it.
52%
5 - THIS WAS AWESOME! Wheeeee!
34%

Total votes: 29

Samantha14
Mint Chocolate Chip

EmilyLBean wrote:
Pound Foolish wrote: But to give you fair warning, if you keep using that "a-word" (annoying) I may get very nasty. It's overused and detestable.
And if you continue to misspell "Maureen", I may get very annoyed. I like her.
Burn... :mrgreen: ;)

I happen to like this episode a lot. It's humorous, has great acting, and pretty much well put together all in all. I realize that things didn't quite go the fan's way... But, I like the way they did it.
Why? I'll tell you why. After Connie and Mitch decided things couldn't work between them, fan's all over the world have been asking what was to become of our dear Robert Mitchell. Most hoped that somehow, he and Connie would live happily ever after, despite the difference between them. However, that isn't always how things play out. Even though two people can seem so perfectly right for each other that it almost kills us when they aren't so, it usually means that they aren't the person planned for the one another. God may have different plans for each of them, that may or may not involve one another. Looks are deceiving, is the only way I suppose I can put it. Mitch and Connie, even though they seemed made for each other, were about as different as night and day. They soon saw that as time progressed and the began to see the real person behind the crush. Perhaps we fail to realize that Mitch and Connie were just that: A crush. So, they parted ways and everything was perfectly happy, right? Uh, WRONG. What was once one of the best things (In a probable fan's opinion.) that could ever happen on the show, had died out by one single goodbye. Were fans just going to accept the goodbye and move on with their AIO loving lives? Uh, NO! Mitch had been a huge character to them, and they weren't just going to accept a simple "goodbye" with no further explanation of what happened to him. So, they pressed on. "We want Mitch! Bring Mitch back! What's going to happen to Mitch?! Mitch and Connie should get back together!" For years and years to come. We already knew that he and Connie weren't right for each other. We already knew that they wouldn't live happily ever after. Yet, we continued. Finally, as you can imagine, the writers had a dilemma. They weren't planning on bringing Mitch the secret agent, knight in shining armor back so Princess "I'll be serving ice cream 'til I'm eighty" Kendall could just fall into his arms and ride off into the sunset. But, what they hadn't done was prove it yet. They hadn't explained anything about what happened to that said major character. So, what did they do? They did exactly what the fans wanted. They brought Mitch back. They showed us what happened to him after all these years. However, they also proved to us that Connie and Mitch will never get together. It's sad, but true. However, this gives us a world of new opportunities to explore! Chances to take! Who knows what Connie could amount to in the next few years? ;)

So, that's basically my two cents. I could say more, but, I figure this gets the gist of my main point. As I said, the acting and sound effects were superb. I loved the playful banter-like styles of the C-P-W trio. Emily and Matthew were great, as usual. (In my personal opinion. ;) ) The Connie feelings and the touching, yet heart breaking scene at the end with yellow tulips just grasped your emotions and took them for a spin. So, all in all, this was a great way to end that album, and I'm glad they made it. =]
Liz'alike
Cookie Dough

I liked this episode. I enjoyed the brief mystery (basically that Emily was in it), and that there was an update on our dear Mitch. I was glad to see that he found someone.... I think they made a good couple.

I will always say that I enjoyed Mitch when he was apart of Odyssey, but I was glad to see his story concluded (Everyone knows how I feel about C+J ;) ).
EmilyLBean
Chocolate Chip

Liz'alike wrote:I liked this episode. I enjoyed the brief mystery (basically that Emily was in it), and that there was an update on our dear Mitch. I was glad to see that he found someone.... I think they made a good couple.

I will always say that I enjoyed Mitch when he was apart of Odyssey, but I was glad to see his story concluded (Everyone knows how I feel about C+J ;) ).
I'm the new chick here, so I don't know your feelings on C+J. Care to share? :)

-- January 13th, 2013, 11:31 pm --
Samantha14 wrote:
EmilyLBean wrote:
Pound Foolish wrote: But to give you fair warning, if you keep using that "a-word" (annoying) I may get very nasty. It's overused and detestable.
And if you continue to misspell "Maureen", I may get very annoyed. I like her.
Burn... :mrgreen: ;)

So, that's basically my two cents. I could say more, but, I figure this gets the gist of my main point. As I said, the acting and sound effects were superb. I loved the playful banter-like styles of the C-P-W trio. Emily and Matthew were great, as usual. (In my personal opinion. ;) ) The Connie feelings and the touching, yet heart breaking scene at the end with yellow tulips just grasped your emotions and took them for a spin. So, all in all, this was a great way to end that album, and I'm glad they made it. =]
Thanks for your thoughts! I personally found this a great way to tie up some loose ends, though I still hate Mitch. I think this was one of my favorite parts:
Penny Wise: Connie, stop grimacing. Think of happy things.
Connie Kendall: Oh ok. Hot fudge sundaes. Playdough.
Penny Wise: What else?
Connie Kendall: Discount coupons. Magazines.
Penny Wise: Good.
Connie Kendall: Moose.
Wooton Bassett: Hair, chocolate, or Alaskan?
Connie Kendall: Hair.
Wooton Bassett: Oh, we could never be.
Last edited by EmilyLBean on Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Liz'alike
Cookie Dough

EmilyLBean wrote:I'm the new chick here, so I don't know your feelings on C+J. Care to share?
(I want Connie and Jason to get married. Not many people agree with me... But I want them to!)
EmilyLBean
Chocolate Chip

Liz'alike wrote:
EmilyLBean wrote:I'm the new chick here, so I don't know your feelings on C+J. Care to share?
(I want Connie and Jason to get married. Not many people agree with me... But I want them to!)
Ahh...well, I'm among the minority as well then. :D I really think it could work, but if it doesn't, I want him with Monica.
Emily
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

Mitch couldn't help he was called away to Budapest. How does that make him inconsiderate? And what' wrong with him being so cheery about his getting married when he, like everyone else, thought Connie was marrying Wooton?
In any case, Sam... a remarkable post, but Connie and Mitch's romance wasn't "a crush" in the sense of false-love. A crush insinuates that the feelings "weren't the real thing." A crush can spring up at any moment and last ten minutes or less. (I should know.) Connie and Mitch were devoted, stayed with it through huge trials and stress, were honest with each other, and respected each other. They wanted to share their lives.
That's love.
But is love... in its highest and truest form... if it never leads consummation? Is there a great difference between the emotions involved in loving the one you marry and loving the ones who come before who don't quite match?
For that matter, how much of love is emotion? If love is indeed a verb, an action, then it would be possible to experience true love with any number of different individuals... maybe even at the same time.
Suffice to say, Connie felt for Mitch, and she acted on it as well.
In my heart, we must believe they loved each other. And that even people who truly love each other are sometimes taken apart by God and destiny.
Such is the cruelty is of the world. Such is its beauty.
  • "Pound Foolish, I just adoreee arguing with you! Here, have an eyeball."
~Suzy Lou Foolish

As the founder of the E.R.K., may I say: Emily RULES!
Doll
Rainbow Sherbet

Pound Foolish wrote:And what' wrong with him being so cheery about his getting married when he, like everyone else, thought Connie was marrying Wooton?
This, this exactly, so many people are saying that Mitch is awful because he came back and was happy about getting married.

He's in town, hesitant to call Connie because of the terms they parted under. Then, he gets an invitation to her wedding, hears her on the local radio station, and thinks it would be a perfect time to talk to her. After all, he thinks that she is also getting married, so there should be no hard feelings. And its not like he finds out otherwise until he's already called her and told her his good news.
~Queen Belle of Altanovia, Knight of Montreal & Order of Aristotle, Benevolent Dictator, Catspaw of the SS, & Dan's couch troll~
~"I’ve always found you to be a good person to disagree with." - Eleventh Doctor~
EmilyLBean
Chocolate Chip

God's Girl wrote:
Pound Foolish wrote:And what' wrong with him being so cheery about his getting married when he, like everyone else, thought Connie was marrying Wooton?
This, this exactly, so many people are saying that Mitch is awful because he came back and was happy about getting married.

He's in town, hesitant to call Connie because of the terms they parted under. Then, he gets an invitation to her wedding, hears her on the local radio station, and thinks it would be a perfect time to talk to her. After all, he thinks that she is also getting married, so there should be no hard feelings. And its not like he finds out otherwise until he's already called her and told her his good news.
This is not the reason I personally hate Mitch. I hate Mitch because of his clueless air-headed nature - the same cluelessness that we saw in action in Something Old, Something New. I understand that he couldn't have had any idea that his actions would hurt Connie when he though she was engaged, but after he learned of the mistake he was still so in her face about Monica's wonderful attributes.
Um, gettin' on my NEERRRVVEEESS.
Go away Mitch. You're all done.
Emily
Doll
Rainbow Sherbet

EmilyLBean wrote: This is not the reason I personally hate Mitch. I hate Mitch because of his clueless air-headed nature - the same cluelessness that we saw in action in Something Old, Something New. I understand that he couldn't have had any idea that his actions would hurt Connie when he though she was engaged, but after he learned of the mistake he was still so in her face about Monica's wonderful attributes.
But, didn't Connie ask Mitch what Maureen was like? Why wouldn't he want to brag on his fiance?
~Queen Belle of Altanovia, Knight of Montreal & Order of Aristotle, Benevolent Dictator, Catspaw of the SS, & Dan's couch troll~
~"I’ve always found you to be a good person to disagree with." - Eleventh Doctor~
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

Blondie is absolutely right, listen to her. :P The fact is, this is just like when Mitch, at Connie's absolute insistence, talked about Justine, and then Connie was hurt. Women. kidding...
~Suzy Lou Foolish

EmilyLBean
Chocolate Chip

God's Girl wrote:
EmilyLBean wrote: This is not the reason I personally hate Mitch. I hate Mitch because of his clueless air-headed nature - the same cluelessness that we saw in action in Something Old, Something New. I understand that he couldn't have had any idea that his actions would hurt Connie when he though she was engaged, but after he learned of the mistake he was still so in her face about Monica's wonderful attributes.
But, didn't Connie ask Mitch what Maureen was like? Why wouldn't he want to brag on his fiance?
Um, because he was talking to his EX-fiancee? If had a dissolved engagement, my former fiancee would be the last person I'd like to talk to. Especially about his NEW fiancee. Connie asked out of politeness, and he proceeds to spill his guts. Poor Connie!

-- January 18th, 2013, 4:41 pm --
Pound Foolish wrote:Blondie is absolutely right, listen to her. :P The fact is, this is just like when Mitch, at Connie's absolute insistence, talked about Justine, and then Connie was hurt. Women. kidding...
Justine who?
Emily
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

Are you saying Mitch should've said, "Oh, I know I'm getting married and you have no idea why or who the new girl is, but hey, why don't we talk about chocolate bunnies?"
As to Justine... sigh. Justine was Mitch's ex girlfriend, killed by Novacom. Just an insignificant detail.
Do please keep posting, this is fun.
~Suzy Lou Foolish

EmilyLBean
Chocolate Chip

Pound Foolish wrote:Are you saying Mitch should've said, "Oh, I know I'm getting married and you have no idea why or who the new girl is, but hey, why don't we talk about chocolate bunnies?"
As to Justine... sigh. Justine was Mitch's ex girlfriend, killed by Novacom. Just an insignificant detail.
YES! Thank you, Pound Foolish. Finally someone is getting the point. There are many things that he could have expounded on that would have been far less hurtful to our precious Connie. I remember Justine now...that was a weird little plot twist. :|
Emily
Doll
Rainbow Sherbet

EmilyLBean wrote:
Pound Foolish wrote:Are you saying Mitch should've said, "Oh, I know I'm getting married and you have no idea why or who the new girl is, but hey, why don't we talk about chocolate bunnies?"
YES! Thank you, Pound Foolish. Finally someone is getting the point. There are many things that he could have expounded on that would have been far less hurtful to our precious Connie.
So, it should have gone like this:

"So, tell me about Maureen?"

"Well, she's my fiance."

"And.....??"

"You know, I'm really in the mood for a chocolate bunny, would you like one?"
EmilyLBean
Chocolate Chip

God's Girl wrote:
EmilyLBean wrote:
YES! Thank you, Pound Foolish. Finally someone is getting the point. There are many things that he could have expounded on that would have been far less hurtful to our precious Connie.
So, it should have gone like this:

"So, tell me about Maureen?"

"Well, she's my fiance."

"And.....??"

"You know, I'm really in the mood for a chocolate bunny, would you like one?"
Yes. You guys are SO understanding. Thank you. *dries tears for Connie* *blows nose*
Emily
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

Okayyy... Pardon me while I pull you're wiping your nose, but all I understand is that you're wrong. Nyah, nyah, nyah.
But anyhow, I'm, err, glad you're so happy about it.
~Suzy Lou Foolish

EmilyLBean
Chocolate Chip

Pound Foolish wrote:Okayyy... Pardon me while I pull you're wiping your nose, but all I understand is that you're wrong. Nyah, nyah, nyah.
But anyhow, I'm, err, glad you're so happy about it.
I understand. Men must stick together and support each other.
However, all I see is Connie's shattered heart, and I can't help but hate Mitch a little for that.
*Tears start again, full force*
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

Ha ha! Oh please, we men are far too cool and macho to need any support.
Anyways, oh... Now I see where you're coming from. I understand completely. But while it's natural to emotionally need to blame someone (and believe me, I too was very emotional about Something New, it pretty much ruined my whole day) rationally, as has been shown, there's really no reason to blame Mitch.
~Suzy Lou Foolish

EmilyLBean
Chocolate Chip

Yeah, whatever.
I blame Mitch for his excessive cluelessness. Cluelessness that led to Connie's heartbreak. Therefore my hatred is rational.
I don't care if other people don't hate him. That's what I like about the Soda Shop - there's so many different personalities and opinions going on :)
Emily
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

Yes, well I'm glad, but as of yet you've yet to provide a rational reason that hasn't been discounted. You said he's clueless at the very beginning, and Blondie and I have debunked every bit of evidence you've put forth that he acted cluelessly. Mitch remains perfectly clueful as far as this debate is concerned unless you have something left to throw.
~Suzy Lou Foolish