Helios: Welcome.......to the Unknown

A place to discuss your own works. Whether they may be literary, visual art, or music pieces, this is the place to show off your stuff!
Helios
Butter Pecan

Here's the first of my "bi-weekly installment" story. Enjoy...and tell if you see typos, I found one on the first story that everyone missed... ;)
New Yearling

Date: Undated

Bolts of brilliant blue and white break into a thousand shards above my head. The cheers of celebrating citizens reach my ears from beyond the palace walls. I wish I was up high in one of the towers, so that I could see them.

Beside me, my mother squeezes my shoulder in excitement. “See the fireworks, Elf?” she asks.

I look up at her beautiful face, glimmering in the light of exploding spirals of green and yellow. Her eyes are sparkling as she laughs. The silver circlet flashes from amid the great tumbled masses of her black hair.

“Yes, I see them.” I nod solemnly, which evokes another laugh from her.

“So serious,” my father says, scooping me up onto his shoulder, “So serious at so glorious a new year. Truly, our daughter finds little humor in even the greatest of celebrations.”

“No more chiding,” my mother says with a warning glance in her eye; she smiles even as she speaks.

From my father's shoulder, I can see over the heads of all the nobles and dignitaries gathered on the balcony. Some bear the white robe and staffs of the Warriors. Others are arrayed in shimmering silks and satins. Most have jewels of some kind flashing from their heads and necks and wrists and waists. But my father's crown is brightest: gold, delicately intertwined around sapphire clusters. A single white stone shines from the center of his forehead.

A new voice speaks from below me, near my mother.

“They are lightning.”

I look down at the top of my brother's head, with hair as black as mine. His pale face is lifted up, and his gray eyes are large with awe. Flickering light from the fireworks plays over his features like magic.

“Yes, Nishi,” my father answers him. “The symbol of our realm's power. The lightning bolt.”

“Eno.” My brother touches my mother's arm. “Why do we celebrate New Year's like this?”

My mother looks thoughtful. “We did it like this back on my home planet. I'm not sure, though. You should ask one of the Warriors. They know more than I do.”

“No one knows more than you,” my father says to her.

She blushes at his praise. “In some things.” Her face turns thoughtful again.

And I can sense the hidden meaning behind the words.

“Elf, let's go see what the others are doing,” Nishi says to me. He swings me down from my father's shoulder, which is impressive because my father is the tallest man in the realm. He stands over six feet and four inches tall. A perfect height for a king, my mother says to tease him.

They tease each other a lot. But I suppose it's because they're in love. I don't know much about that, even if I am a girl. My mother told me that when she was a girl my age, she was already aware of the love between a man and a woman. Perhaps that is why she married my father when they were both so young.

I don't intend to get married when I'm young.

Maybe I will never get married.

“Elf?” I hear Nishi's voice. I look back at him, and for once, he's smiling.

He looks so handsome when he smiles. But I've only seen him do it five times in as many years.

“What?” I ask.

“They're spelling our names.” He gestures at the fireworks above us. I catch a glimpse of gray sparks against the black starkness of the night sky. The sparks form words, interlocking with the faint gleam of the stars behind them.

They're beautiful.

I catch my breath at the sight. Nishi squeezes my hand; he understands how I feel. We stand together, just the two of us, watching.

I then hear the voices of the Warriors coming toward us. I look over and see the six of my realm: handsome Darr, green-eyed Jost, mysterious Diri, sweet Aryn, dark-haired Somi, and quick-tempered Sairi. They are laughing, merry, their arms around each other in a solid line as they approach.

Nishi bows low, respectfully. I gather my satin skirt into a graceful curtsy.

“Royalty bowing to us,” Jost says mischievously. “I like it.”

Diri gives him a look. “Bow back. It's being polite.”

In a linked line they bow, though I see a gleam in Sairi and Somi's eyes. They think it's funny that they bow to royalty while royalty bows to them. I don't see the humor, but then again I don't see the humor in a lot of things that other people do.

Aryn picks me up and Nishi climbs onto Darr's back. They race us across the courtyard with great leaping steps, so that we seem to be flying. I squeal with laughter, and Nishi smiles again. The others whirl around us, looking like great white swans in their flowing cloaks.

I see my parents approaching. My mother's arm is linked through my father's, and she smiles up at him with so much love and admiration that a lump clogs my throat. Aryn sets me down gently and I run to them, flinging myself into my father's arms. Fear claws at my heart, an unexpected fear that I will lose them soon.

“I don't want to leave you,” I murmur in his ear. He looks surprised, but holds me close.

“You won't leave us, Elf,” my mother says. She has very sharp hearing and heard me. “You will never leave us.”

“Promise?” I ask, turning to her.

She takes my head in her hands and kisses my forehead. “I promise.”

I look back up at the fireworks, exploding with ever-increasing brilliance above our heads, and around at the Warriors gathered in a circle around us. Finally, my eyes meet those of my brother's. Gray as my own, yet without the brown and green shades that peep through at certain times. He nods to me. He will always take care of me. Like my parents, he will never leave me. I will never leave him. No matter what the future holds. No matter what year we find ourselves in. No matter the realm, the stars, the planets, the moons.

We are family.

And always will be.
Author's Note: Thanks to Blitz for the awesome editing! I hope it reads more smoothly now. ;)
Last edited by Helios on Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ameraka
Fudge Marble

Beautiful beginning. I love the description of the fireworks. I want to know more about this world and the characters. Too bad the installments are only bi-weekly. ;)

I was wondering--is the protagonist's whole name Elf, or is that short for something?

And is there a reason it's written in italics? I know the italics in your first post was a dream.

My book, Justice Lost, is on Amazon Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JM1XFCI
Helios
Butter Pecan

I got the descriptions from last night's New Year's festivities. :D

Don't worry, next part's due Saturday.

Elf is not her whole name. But that will become a bigger part of the plot as the story progresses. :D

Good question about the italics! The reason it's italics is because it's a dream sequence. :D
Liz'alike
Cookie Dough

I agree with Ameraka that it's a beautiful beginning! Elf and Nishi sound very interesting... Like there is definitely a mystery between them! I can't wait for the next part :)
Renae
Fudge Marble
Location: ....I'll be in a different place every time you read this....

Wow.
As soon as I started reading..I felt as if I had been engulfed in a world of words. Excellent, Efteayou! Just excellent!
Renae: Faithful companion of Drama King, aka Jimmy Barclay.
Helios
Butter Pecan

You guys are too kind. :D I feel basked in the warmth of your admiration. :)

Mystery...that is just the word for Nishi. He is full of mystery...

And so much more...

Lol, Renae. Thanks for the new name. :D Suits me well, I believe. :)

Efteayou 8)
Helios
Butter Pecan

Awakening

Date: February 1, 4092
Time: 7:05 AM by Apollo's Chrono

“Good morning, Employee 343. It is now five minutes past seven o'clock by Apollo time, and you are required to exit the sleeping chamber.”

The voice, cold, metallic, unfeeling, brushes against my consciousness. I open my eyes halfway to see the blurry, bluish-white ceiling of my tiny cubicle. A door slides open and I swing my legs over the side of the bed. An ache races up my back, pushing a sharp gasp from my lungs. What have I done to hurt myself so badly?

After standing, I exit the sleeping chamber and find myself facing a full-length mirror. I give myself a critical once-over, noting the dark rings of near-sleepless nights under my eyes. My ribs are almost showing through my skin—a sign that my lifestyle for the past few months has not been the healthiest.

With a sigh, I push a lever on the wall. A rack slides out, from which hangs my clothes for the day: a pale-blue jumpsuit, white knee-high boots, and a utility belt. I pull the outfit on methodically, fastening the boots with practiced fingers, and buckling the belt snugly around my slender waist. When I'm finished, the rack whooshes back into the wall.

I look around the room in search of my travel satchel. There are two doors: one opening into my sleeping cubicle, and the other leading into the hallway outside. The mirror hangs to the right of the outer door while a toilet, sink, and shower furnish the back left corner. The walls are white and sterile, like a hospital's; the ceiling is ice-blue, but so shiny it reflects the whiteness.

And in one corner, just above the toilet, is a black security camera.

I hate the cameras. Always watching, never missing a single moment of my life in here. There's no privacy with that thing constantly on the alert. According to my supervisor, it's a necessary precaution. I rolled my eyes when he said that; as if a moon-base doing research on meteors would have secrets to hide?

This is a military base. I can't forget that, especially since I'm just a civilian. And especially since they're not doing research just on meteors.

I hit the open-door button and step into the hallway. All along the corridor, dozens of other doors are also opening. Men and women just like me are emerging from their rooms, ready for a long day of work, repairing ships and doing general maintenance work on them.

Joining the flow of people that moves steadily toward the mess-hall, I try my best to look nonchalant. To the casual observer, I want to appear ordinary and unsuspecting, like the worker they'd expect to see.

Nothing is further from the truth. But I can't let anyone know that. Even my eyes could give it away. I must remain calm, disinterested, and normal.

Perfectly, unassumingly, normal.

My eyes maintain a cool gray color as I take my tray from the buffet line and find a table to sit at. Most of the time, I sit with a group of girls around my age. Since none of us talk much, I don't have to worry about accidentally saying something suspicious—something that could give away the fact that I don't belong here.

But today, my luck runs dry. I end up at a table across from a young man a little older than me. I slide into my seat and ignore his interested gaze. I can't risk talking to him lest it take up too much time. I have to make it to the ship hangar before anyone else does.

“You work here long?” I hear his voice ask.

I give an imperceptible sigh. “No, not long.” The words are delivered in a crisp, cool tone that warns him to back off.

He ignores it. “What's your name?”

I make the mistake of looking up into his grinning face. He's handsome in a dark, swarthy kind of way. Thick dark eyebrows meet over a straight nose. Brown eyes twinkle and ask unvoiced questions.

I square my shoulders and hold my head high. “My name is not your concern.” With that, I stand and take my tray to the garbage disposal. I haven't half-finished the food, but I don't care. Another moment with that man and unpleasant things would have begun to happen.

Namely, his face would have been smashed into the table after being served two black eyes and a bloody nose. I absolutely cannot get into another fight, my supervisor told me last night. Another fight and I will be suspended for three days.

And I can't risk that happening. Not when I'm so close to...

Escaping.

Time: 7:32 AM by Apollo's Chrono

Just outside the ship hangar, I swipe my pass over the scanner and wait for the ID pic to download. A second later it flashes across the screen and I see my familiar face: the slender, pointed chin; the luminous gray eyes, like another whom I once knew; the pale cheeks devoid of any color except for a faint pink tinge; and the rich black hair pulled back from my face into a tight braid.

Most people think it's a pretty face. I don't care what they think.

Especially when it comes to outward appearances.

I step into the ship hangar and jog down the rows of military spacecraft waiting to be serviced. My job as a mechanic grants me access to any ship at any time.

But right now, all I want is the single red-gleaming one on the end of the row.

It's not often we get any ships other than military and business ones. But this red one is a privately-owned space cruiser, class Dionysus. What a pleasure ship would be doing on a military installation is a question I couldn't ignore. Last night, I checked the passenger list for the red ship.

All I found was the pilot's name: Oliver Askyer.

And that was all I needed to know.

My footsteps echo hollowly in the empty bay. I glance around as I slide underneath the red ship. No one in sight. My fingers fumble for the latch that opens the belly hatch. When they slip into the smooth metal groove, I jerk quickly.

The hatch slides open.

“Halt! Mechanic! You are not authorized to enter that ship!”

I whirl to see a guard running toward me. His gun is dangling loosely across his chest, but I know it will take only seconds for him to aim and fire should he need to.

Ignoring his shouts, I swing myself up into the belly of the ship. A pull of a lever closes the hatch beneath me, and I am locked in darkness.

The internal lights flicker on, almost blinding me, and I see the door that leads into the cockpit. I scramble forward, heaving my light frame over a net-like dividing wall, and slam the cockpit door behind me. Dim red lights beep an automatic welcome.

The first barrage of bullets hit the metallic skin of the ship.

I plop into the pilot's chair and secure the safety-harness across my chest. My hands work of their own accord, flicking switches and powering up the engines. The warm rumble through my body reassures me that all is in working order, and that the gunshots echoing outside are not a problem to structural integrity.

Grasping the control rod, I lift the ship up to hover in the ship hangar momentarily. Then I thrust the rod forward.

The ship rockets down the length of the bay, plastering me back into my seat. It's impossible to breath at such a speed, but I don't have to worry about blacking out. In ten seconds, I'm inside the airlock, whose doors are rapidly closing in a futile attempt to prevent my escape.

Missiles shoot out from under the wings of the red ship, splinting the glass airlock doors into a billion tiny shards. I rush out into the cool darkness surrounding the moon. Automated defenses guarding the research facility open fire, but I barely feel the hits. Called emirl, the hard red substance forming the skin of my ship is virtually indestructible.

I maneuver myself out of the moon's thin atmosphere. Then, when I'm far enough out that few of the shots make contact, I activate the hyper-flight sequence.

“Hyper-flight initiated,” the computer says. “Destination: Vulcan Burning Forge Three. Coordinates accepted?”

“Accepted,” I reply.

The engines take on a deeper hum and the ensuing vibrations surge through my chest. The points of light that shine through the windshield flatten themselves out into thin lines. I feel as if my stomach is being compressed into 2-D.

Then a whirring sound fills my ears and I close my eyes. There is a tremendous shudder, as if I've split the fabric of space and time.

A second later, the space my ship once occupied is empty space, with bright stars twinkling in the blackness.
Once again, thanks to Blitz for editing!
Last edited by Helios on Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ameraka
Fudge Marble

Renae wrote: As soon as I started reading..I felt as if I had been engulfed in a world of words.
I like this way you put this, Renae.

Intriguing beginning. I love science fiction, and yours is very well written. The touch of mystery makes me want to know more.

My book, Justice Lost, is on Amazon Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JM1XFCI
Liz'alike
Cookie Dough

How did I not see this till now? Especially since you told me you posted?? *sighs*

I thought this installment was very captivating! I thought Employee 343 was very interesting. I also, for some reason, pictured the young man she sat across from as Skandar Keynes... Funny.
Helios
Butter Pecan

You are a real comedian, Lexicon. :P

He doesn't look a thing like Skan, trust me. More like....Flabby... :evil:
Liz'alike
Cookie Dough

Oh. My. Word! Can you create a character that's like me than pair me with him?? PLEASE???
Helios
Butter Pecan

Seriously?

I'll see what I can do...you don't mind being a villain, do you? :D
Liz'alike
Cookie Dough

Oh, oh, oh! He's a villain?? Even better! I don't mind :) can my name be Shinale?
Helios
Butter Pecan

Even better....

I'm starting to wonder about your mental stability. :P

YES! He's a villain! Ain't it obvious? He tries to start an unwanted conversation with the main character. SO VILLAINOUS!

It might be Shinale...if you tell me what it means! And I have a few surprises up my sleeve for your character. ;)
Liz'alike
Cookie Dough

My metal stability? *starts maniacal laugh*

Yeah, he's totally the villain because he tried to talk to her... *rolls eyes*

Well... I don't really know, but it sounds sinister!
Helios
Butter Pecan

Oooo, I can outdo your maniacal laugh! Just you wait... :evil:

Well, duh! Of course that makes him the villain! Nice people don't do that. They back off if you're rude. :P

Sinister it is, then! :D

I'll be posting the next part in a sec here...just had some minor editing to do. :D
GratiaDei
Cookies & Creme

Looking forward to it, dear Sunny. I'll post here so you don't have to double post.
Helios
Butter Pecan

Meeting

Location: Iron Shield Public Landing Facility, Vulcan Burning Forge Three
Time: 11:18 AM by Apollo's Chrono (12:38 noon by Vulcan's Chrono)

Sunlight glistens across a desert landscape as I bring the emirl ship out of hyper-flight. Usually ships don't exit hyper-flight within a planet's atmosphere, but it's one of the ways to keep from being tracked as easily, which is something I have to take into consideration, now that I've officially gone AWOL from a military installation—and no, the fact that I'm technically a civilian doesn't matter to these guys.

After landing in the public landing bay, I pay my charge and ask an attendant where the head mechanic is.

“Top deck, maintenance office,” the man tells me.

At the top deck, I peek down a long stainless steel corridor with many doors lining the sides. The one at the end is labeled “Maintenance Office: Crew Only”. I step boldly inside and shut the door behind me.

A kid is kneeling by a bunch of thick energy cables, puzzling over them with a frown. He looks up, startled, at my entrance. His mouth falls open to reveal a row of straight white teeth.
“C-can I help you, ma'am?” he stutters out.

“I need to see the head mechanic,” I reply brusquely. “Where is he?”

“In the back room. I-I'll get him.”

The boy leaps to his feet and darts out of sight behind a swinging curtain. A moment later, a young man emerges. He's wearing the hunter-green-and-black of a civilian mechanic and smiles in a friendly way as he approaches me.

I suppress a smile of my own, though I'm sure my eyes flash green with pleasure. Stepping forward, I take his proffered hand and give it a firm shake. Tingles shoot up my spine at the skin-to-skin contact.

“Can I help you, Miss—?” He stops, raising an eyebrow. His handsome face is the perfect picture of polite congeniality.

“Miss Quinn,” I reply. “Yes. I need to speak with you concerning a malfunction in my ship's hyper-drive.”

“Of course. Let's go down and take a look.”

We step into the hallway and head for the escalator, but instead of going down, he accesses a wall-comm and opens a secret passage. Grasping my arm, he pulls me into a dimly-light tunnel that shuts behind us with a clang.

Face-to-face in the darkness, his face loses its amiable expression.

“What are you doing here?” he hisses. “You're supposed to be at the safe-house on Apollo Arrow.”

I glare back defiantly. “I was doing some research at the moon-base.”

“You were at the Hendricks Moon Research Facility?” he exclaims. “Were you the mechanic who fled in the emirl ship?”

“Word travels fast.” I roll my eyes. “Yes, it was me.”

“What were you thinking?” he demands harshly. “Going AWOL like that! They're sure to know it's you.”

“No one knows,” I shoot back. “I was under an assumed name. Besides, they can't track me. I turned off the emission signals on the ship.”

He frowns and crosses his arms against his chest. I can't help but note the corded muscle taut beneath his tanned skin.

“Look,” I say, my voice softer, “I know you're worried about me, but I can take care of myself. I was there for two months and no one even noticed.”

“You don't know that,” he replies, his voice just as soft. “You don't know what they do or do not know. You can't read minds.”

“I come close to it.” I hug myself and sigh. “Besides, if they had known, they would have killed me by now.”

Silence answers me. His eyes are dark, brooding, for he knows my words are true and fears the implications behind them.

“They may be waiting to see where you'll go. Who you'll turn to.”

I snort. “All I have is you. Some list of contacts.”

“No, there is another. You know that.” He looks me in the eye and I glance down after a moment. I can't meet his gaze, because he speaks the truth.

“Look.” He lifts my chin with a finger. “We can worry about that later. Right now we need to get you out of that uniform and into some civvies—and we need to leave. ASAP.” He gives a faint half-smile.

We exit the tunnel and go up another escalator to the off-limits deck, where the mechanics live. In his room, which closely resembles mine from Hendricks, he pulls out a rack holding several changes of clothes. I grab an outfit off the rack and duck into his sleeping cubicle. Moments later, I emerge dressed as a civilian. I hand him my mechanic uniform and he dumps it into the incinerator.

“What was it this time?” he asks as I brush my hair down around my face.

“What was what?” I ask, knowing full well what he means.

“Why did you go to Hendricks?”

I sigh. “I found a lead. Something that might tell me where the portals are.”

“We've been over this a thousand times,” he reminds me. “You're supposed to be here. Looking for a way out isn't going to help anything.”

I fight back the sudden lump in my throat even as bitterness fills my voice. “You aren't the one who's known nothing besides the constant running for your life from the government. You aren't the one who's lived on a paradise planet with no worries. You aren't the one who was abandoned by—” I cut the words off abruptly before the anger can fully spill over.

“It's not your fault you're here,” he tells me quietly. “You can't fight it. You have to embrace it.”
“Embrace my fate,” I whisper, my voice trembling with anger. “It's a horrible fate. I can't. I won't.”
With that, I fling myself out into the hallway.

And straight into the arms of a military policeman.

“I have her!” he shouts to his unit around the corner. My fist breaks his cheekbone into several splinters as I drive my knee into his groin. He doubles from the pain, releasing me. I push him over and sprint down the corridor in the opposite direction from which more police are coming.

“There she is!”

“Shoot her!”

“Just stuns! We need her alive!”

Their shouts echo in my ears as lasers bounce around my feet. Shards of metal fly up, cutting my legs under my skirt. I wince at the pain as I slide down the escalator bannister. Hitting the bottom, I race through the ship hangar. More people are shouting at me: mechanics, technicians, guards, civilians. I ignore them all as I pound toward the emirl ship.

The hatch slides open as I dive underneath it. I haul myself up into the cargo bay, but just then someone below me grabs my ankle.

“Get off!” I scream, kicking furiously, but whoever it is, is stronger than me. My hands lose their grip on the rim of the open hatch, and then a strong hand grabs both of my wrists. I look up into the face of the head mechanic.

With the leverage I gain from bracing against him, I kick my attacker off and lunge into the ship's belly.

“Get buckled in!” he shouts into my face. “And hurry!”

I scramble behind him into the cockpit. We strap ourselves into the seats.

A giant explosion rocks the ship hangar and sends the ship hurtling through the wall in front of us.

“What just happened?” I scream above the roar surrounding us.

“Mortar launch!” He jerks the control rod back, barely keeping us from going into a nose-dive. With his teeth clenched, he jams the rod to the right and we swing around, our momentum almost sending us into a spin.

“Activate the hyper-drive!” he yells.

I hit the correct sequence of buttons in rapid-fire succession. There is a ping noise and then the automated voice: “Hyper-flight initiated. Destination: Hecate Arrow. Coordinates accepted?”
“Yes!” we shout in unison.

“Clear atmosphere before hyper-drive is activated,” the computer drones. I curse silently behind clenched teeth.

He also clenches his teeth even tighter than before. The ship zooms up away from the planet's surface, leaving the massive twisted wreck of the ship hangar in its wake.

Exiting the atmosphere leaves me breathless from the pressure against my lungs. Then we're in the coolness of space. The hyper-drive activates, sending us spiraling away into a cloud of bright lights and the distinct whirring sound that accompanies faster-than-light flight.

Time: 13:39 PM by Apollo's Chrono

Several hours have passed in sullen silence. I fold my arms tightly across my chest, squeezing and releasing the air trapped inside my lungs. Across from me, my companion stares moodily into the swirling darkness of hyper-space.

Neither of us have spoken since departing Vulcan Burning Forge Three. We don't have anything to say that hasn't already been said.

He says it anyway.

“That was a dumb thing to do.”

“Fleeing for our lives?” I ask, bristling defensively. “Or going to Hendricks in the first place?”

“Going to Hendricks.” He meets my eye with a fiery gaze of his own. “How can you expect me to protect you when you're constantly getting into trouble?”

“Oh, you've done a fine job,” I mock. “You've done better than even Nishi did!”

Dead silence falls at the mention of that name. I pinch myself and curse inside for having said it. Nothing makes me sadder than to remember Nishi.

I look over at the mechanic, noting for the first time the dark rings under his eyes, the worry lines around his mouth, and the fatigue he tries hard and fails to hide. He meets my gaze with eyes as green as mine now are, but while his are a sober olive-green, mine are stormy, like ocean waves.

He looks at my eyes, not into them. “Were they gray?” he asks quietly.

I nod. “At Hendricks. I had to make sure I was always gray, never green or brown. It would have given too much away.”

He snorts softly. “As if your presence didn't give too much away.” He looks away, his eyes focused on the hyper-space around us.

“It didn't,” I insist. “No one even knew.”

“Did the guys flirt with you?”

I look down. “A little. What does that have to do with it?”

He sighs. “It's something that marks you. You're very...attractive.” His face reddens slightly.
Something deep inside me flutters. I never feel this way around other guys.

Just around this one.

I can't meet his gaze. I look down as my cheeks burn. Some of it is—to be honest—embarrassment, but the rest of it is pure pleasure.

He reaches forward to adjust something on the control panel just as I shift position, and our hands brush together, skin against skin. Thrills shoot up my arm.

“Sorry,” he blurts. His face burns redder, as does mine.

“It's okay,” I stammer.

He smiles weakly. We both know that the attraction between us is growing. He hasn't said anything yet, so I don't know what his true feelings for me are.

Unbidden, my lips form around the sound of his name.

“Buck.”

“Yeah?”

I don't know what to say. I want to ask him about...us...but that seems too forward. Instead I fall back on our earlier subject. With a faked heavy sigh, I reply, “Look, I'm sorry you had to leave suddenly.”

“Three weeks,” he mutters, instantly irritated again. “I was there three weeks. Three weeks of peace. And then...” His voice trails off, but I know what he means.

He had to leave.

Because of me.

Everything's because of me.

This whole escapade is my fault.

Elf Girl's fault.
Yo Gratia, thanks for posting! I hate double-posting... :D

Thanks to Blitz for editing! I didn't follow all of your suggestions, but I did tone down all the hes. They were a lot, now that I look back. :P
Last edited by Helios on Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Liz'alike
Cookie Dough

*GASP* ELF GIRL??? *GASP*
Well, isn't this plot just thinking up right nice? It really hadn't occured to me that this main female would be the little girl in the beginning... Wow, I feel stupid!

Another beautiful installment, Punzy! Keep up the good work :D
Helios
Butter Pecan

That was a shocker, huh? :P

Not to worry, 'Con, I am (literally) working on it as I type. And your character (with Flabby!) will soon be appearing. :)