"Swearing"

What do you believe and why? Here's the place to discuss anything relating to church and God.
Rosy
Cookie Dough

I also get uncomfortable when I hear a swear word, even though I'm not sure what most (of the very few I know) mean, and I don't really care what it means, either. I just wish people wouldn't say it. I almost never watch non-kiddie movies, and have only seen 1 PG-13 movie in my lifetime, and my parents watched it with me. I also don't listen to non-Christian music, so that doesn't really affect me either. What really affects me is complete strangers saying them. Once, when I was drying off after going swimming while on vacation, there were some college-age kids getting in, and one of them sweared after getting splashed, and I, never having heard it before, thought nothing of it until one of his buddies punched him in the shoulder and said something like "Dudddde! There's a kid over there! Watch your mouth!" and everytime I thought about what happened, I felt sick.
꿈. 희망. 전진.
ArnoldtheRubberDucky
Butter Pecan

I have been cursed (no pun intended) with the knowledge of nearly every swear word at an early age, though it was my fault. But that's a horrible, personal story that I don't want to get in to.

I have heard many people swear for no particular reason and I think, "What kind of message does that guy think he's sending?" I've heard a couple songs with swear words, as I do listen to non-Christian music, but I don't buy them or listen to them if I can help it, so that doesn't affect me too much either. And though I have seen movies with swear words, I'm honestly willing to listen to a couple mild swear words if it's a really great film. But if the swearing is worse than mild, I usually am not allowed to watch the movie, and I don't want to either. Once, thinking it was a perfectly good family movie, we went to see We Bought A Zoo. I regretted that. It's bad enough to see adults swear, but to see a child swear as he did in that film, well... it just makes me glad they are programs like AIO.
Sir Arnold, Knight of the Order of Augustine, Debate Vampire
Mr. Yorp wrote:You don't need a degree to shovel manure.
Aaron Wiley
Pistachio

I think what it really comes down to, is Romans 14. Paul talks about how our beliefs and our ethical decision making should habits should change because of the new testiment. It's a good idea to go read this whole chapter, but this is the part I want to get at:

14:13 Therefore we must not pass judgment on one another, but rather determine never to place an obstacle or a trap before a brother or sister. 10 14:14 I know and am convinced in the Lord Jesus that there is nothing unclean in itself; still, it is unclean to the one who considers it unclean. 14:15 For if your brother or sister 11 is distressed because of what you eat, 12 you are no longer walking in love. 13 Do not destroy by your food someone for whom Christ died. 14:16 Therefore do not let what you consider good 14 be spoken of as evil. 14:17 For the kingdom of God does not consist of food and drink, but righteousness, peace, and joy in the Holy Spirit. 14:18 For the one who serves Christ in this way is pleasing to God and approved by people.

The language in itself cannot be sinful, but for those who do feel it unclean for them to use, we, as their brothers, should avoid becoming a stumbling block to those people.
"I strive to be an Elephant" - Odyssey Fan Wiley
Liz'alike
Cookie Dough

Amen brother!!! That pretty much sums it all up! :D
Funny side note: I just read that chapter in my morning devotion yesterday. lol
brittany k
Peanut Butter Cup

I hate cursing, nd I hate it when somebody does it it really bothers.me I'm around it alot! Do I think It's sinful? I think it is but maybe I'm wrong! I think It's wrong I hate when I hear somebody say any kond of cuss word!!!
Last edited by brittany k on Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a crazy gal! :)
I love life! :)
Metal15
Peanut Butter Cup

I'm not a fan of swearing either. Even thought at times I get close to doing it myself... :?

I'm not exactly uncomfortable when I'm around people who swear, like if I'm at work or something, but if close friends or family are cussing like crazy, then that ticks me off.

Personally, I think those who swear all the time are just telling me that they don't know enough of the english language to speak correctly. XD
I'm the leader of the KRE, the group dedicated to countering ERK the Emily-centered cult. Join either team, you'll have a blast.

My Youtube channel --> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa8Nt7 ... ILthNNlUww

Feminism is cray.

FREEDOM!!!

Music FB page: https://www.facebook.com/louismusicdefinitelyofficial/
Tea Ess
Pineapple Whip

Metal15 wrote:I'm not exactly uncomfortable when I'm around people who swear, like if I'm at work or something, but if close friends or family are cussing like crazy, then that ticks me off.
I would agree with this. At work this summer, a good deal of my co-workers and quite a few patrons swore frequently, but I'm not particularly bothered by it.
Metal15 wrote:Personally, I think those who swear all the time are just telling me that they don't know enough of the English language to speak correctly. XD
Haha. I have thought this also.
"Happy Birthday to Hot Leaf Water Ess!" - Belle
NateVONgreat
Cookies & Creme

I really can't stand it! I have lots of believer friends who swear at different levels, and when I tell them to stop they say it's not a big deal and keep doing it, and its sad because my non-believer class mates who know I don't like it will try not to swear around me, which is saying a lot! Its rare to hear a sentence in hebrew from a non-believing mouth that doesn't consist of 3 hard-core swear words.
and about things that are short for God's name like OMG, I usually don't like, like OMG- I really don't like, but geez, apparently is "Geez"+us, so I try not to say it, but It doesn't get me as much.

Sandwiches are wonderful
Sandwiches are fine!
I like sandwiches, I eat them all the time!
Tea Ess
Pineapple Whip

Basically, since it's not difficult for me, I simply don't use any words of exclamation besides "Wow!". Although it's interesting, because I'm not very offended by other people swearing.
"Happy Birthday to Hot Leaf Water Ess!" - Belle
Bethany Shepard
Moose Tracks

I don't feel to comfortable when watching a movie and theres swearing. ESPECIALLY in music.

But I think any word can be used as a "swear word" if you mean it in the same way as the "actual" swear word. Does that make sense?
"I am not a demon. I am a lizard, a shark, a heat-seeking panther.
I want to be Bob Denver on acid playing the accordion."
-Nicolas Cage
NateVONgreat
Cookies & Creme

yeah I agree,
but its so sad to see what the world is becoming, to see 9 year olds swearing up and down. it makes me very sad.
I don't really feel anything about swearing in movies (unless its REALLY bad), because i kinda have become used to hearing it, which is probably not a good thing, I should try to hate it, if I become ok with it, I might find myself swearing, which really don't want that to happen,
The bible says that if we control the tongue we can control or whole body, like a small rudder to a ship,

Sandwiches are wonderful
Sandwiches are fine!
Ameraka
Fudge Marble

I hate swearing; I am quite affected by words--if something is said harshly, it's almost like a physical impact. I have said some words myself which I try not to do; they are the 'less offensive' ones, which I picked up from when my mom and grandpa were mad. :) I don't want to pick up any more, that's for sure. I don't like to hear swearing but I try not to judge people who do, especially those who don't know any better. It does annoy me when it's like every other word--don't they have a vocabulary besides swear words? I have gotten a little desensitized from movies, but it doesn't bother me enough for me to turn it off (like it used to) unless there's a lot of it and there isn't much redeeming value in the movie otherwise. It's a matter of degree.

My book, Justice Lost, is on Amazon Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JM1XFCI
fodo14
Raspberry Ripple

I think it's fun...and everyone should do it. :D
Rosy
Cookie Dough

fodo14 wrote:I think it's fun...and everyone should do it. :D
Wow...I sure hope you're being sarcastic or trying to be funny.
꿈. 희망. 전진.
fodo14
Raspberry Ripple

underseasie wrote:
fodo14 wrote:I think it's fun...and everyone should do it. :D
Wow...I sure hope you're being sarcastic or trying to be funny.
...What does sarcastic mean?
NateVONgreat
Cookies & Creme

To borrow the colloquialism,
Sarcastic, coming from the greek word sarcasm, pronounced sar·casm, Noun,
Is the use of irony to mock or convey contempt.
In a matter of speaking.

(if anyone tells me its not greek, well *beep* you, oh i mean, this is a forum on swear words, ahhhh, BLESS YOU! but there might be a small chance that could be that not 100% but maybe i made up the greek part)

Sandwiches are wonderful
Sandwiches are fine!
fodo14
Raspberry Ripple

CreativeThinker101 wrote:Once, thinking it was a perfectly good family movie, we went to see We Bought A Zoo. I regretted that. It's bad enough to see adults swear, but to see a child swear as he did in that film, well... it just makes me glad they are programs like AIO.
Thats like my favorite movie....and who said it was a family movie? Well I guess my family does watch it a lot.
Bethany Shepard
Moose Tracks

CreativeThinker101 wrote:Once, thinking it was a perfectly good family movie, we went to see We Bought A Zoo. I regretted that. It's bad enough to see adults swear, but to see a child swear as he did in that film, well... it just makes me glad they are programs like AIO.
Amen, Brother! That was a HORRABLE movie! (no offense, Fodo) My family did the same thing! We had seen the preview and were thinking it was gonna be GREAT!Image
"I am not a demon. I am a lizard, a shark, a heat-seeking panther.
I want to be Bob Denver on acid playing the accordion."
-Nicolas Cage
NateVONgreat
Cookies & Creme

Well, My mom thought of having our family watch it, but she read the review on plugged'n it is a great place where Bob walashezki {spell check suggested "Kalashnikov" } works (the guy from the clubhouse mag' movie reviews.)

Sandwiches are wonderful
Sandwiches are fine!
Wretched Sinner
Lemon Meringue

I'm completely fine with hearing swearing, whether it's on movies, tv shows, music, or if my friends swear. It doesn't bother me at all. My brain kinda automatically tunes it out. I try my best not to swear, but when I do it's using the swear word as it's actual definition and not in a profane way.