"Swearing"

What do you believe and why? Here's the place to discuss anything relating to church and God.
HomeschoolCowgirl
Peach Cobbler

ArnoldtheRubberDucky wrote:And neither do I.

As for your other argument, I believe I already mentioned that casual swearing doesn't really "add anything special" to a conversation. I'm not saying that casual swearing is a good, moral thing that the world needs more of, but I don't believe it's an "aspersion", as you say. It's a completely neutral statement, and should, in many ways, be treated like any other neutral statement. Do the substitute words for swearing that people use add anything to a conversation either? No, but nobody really complains when people say them the way that people will freak out over cuss words.
I'm just now posting again here because I just found the line that explains my POV perfectly here:

"Live your life in such a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip" -- Will Rogers.

Or, in this case, to your pastor.
Swearing "for fun" I can't exactly call a sin, because I don't exactly know (aside from using God's name wrongly). But for me, if someone called him/herself a Christian and was "for fun" swearing all the time, I would want to get away and not hang out with them. :?
"Musical training is a more potent instrument than any other, for rhythm and harmony find their way into the inner places of the soul... making the soul of one who is rightly educated, graceful" -- Socrates
aragtaghooligan
Fudge Marble

In grade nine English my teacher said something about swearing that I have tried to live by ever since. "If an anvil falls on your foot then say any swear word you can think of, but if you are talking to your class mate I don't even want you to call them a fool." I love it because it gets at the heart of the issue.