Methodist QA

What do you believe and why? Here's the place to discuss anything relating to church and God.
gabbygirl17
Mint Chocolate Chip

Methodist QA

Any questions for me? About my beliefs or anything? I am a Bible Methodist
Last edited by gabbygirl17 on Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Your words were found, and I ate them, and your words became to me a joy and the delight of my heart, for I am called by your name, O Lord, God of hosts." - Jeremiah 15:16
sheltiez
Caramel Crunch

I have a lot of respect for the Methodist Church. Because Adventism grew out of Methodism, we understand doctrine and the Bible in much the same way. I heard that Methodists today have drifted from the trational roots with the Wesley brothers. I even heard once that some Methodists even doubt the athority of the Bible! Is this true from what you have seen?
gabbygirl17
Mint Chocolate Chip

I am a Bible Methodist not United Methodist Wow never heard that! Thats crazy! And my Church believes in the Bible's authority over us. My Holiness camo i believe is the same way. We love the Bible! :) Thanks for the question! I could put our beliefs on here since my dad is doing a sermon on the doctrine.
"Your words were found, and I ate them, and your words became to me a joy and the delight of my heart, for I am called by your name, O Lord, God of hosts." - Jeremiah 15:16
sheltiez
Caramel Crunch

Would you? I would love to see what your doctrines are.
gabbygirl17
Mint Chocolate Chip

Sure! :

Faith in the Holy trinity. We believe in the trinity, God has revealed in 3 persons.
The doctrine of the Son of God. He came as the Savior, He is the Messiah and the Savior of the world.
Resurrection of Christ. Christ DID rise from the dead
The Holy Spirit is a person not an it.
The belief in God's word. Has everything about salvation
Belief in the rapture
good works are acceptable for Christians we were created to do good works like Christ
Sin after justification. we believe repentance is given, we dont believe u cant sin after justification
regeneration work of the Holy Spirit.
I'll do part 2 soon!
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Does your church have a statement of faith that you could share?

What is your stance on the Nicene Creed?

How often does your church take communion?
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
John Henry
Peach Cobbler

Yes, does the Bible Methodist Church teach the doctrines of John Wesley?
gabbygirl17
Mint Chocolate Chip

Okay, so I totally didn't see these questions haha! Sorry!

Doctor:

We do the Apostles Creed:
I believe in God, the Father Almighty,
the Maker of heaven and earth,
and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord:
Who was conceived by the Holy Ghost,
born of the virgin Mary,
suffered under Pontius Pilate,
was crucified, dead, and buried;
He descended into hell.
The third day He arose again from the dead;
He ascended into heaven,
and sitteth on the right hand of God the Father Almighty;
from thence he shall come to judge the quick and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Ghost;
the holy catholic church;
the communion of saints;
the forgiveness of sins;
the resurrection of the body;
and the life everlasting.
Amen.
I actually never heard of it, but it's kinda similiar.
We take it about 12 times a year :)

John Henry:

John Wesley was the Co-founder of the Bible Methodist denomination, so yes:)
Last edited by gabbygirl17 on Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Can you expand on your belief in the rapture and where that view comes from?

When do you believe justification occurs?
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

gabbygirl17 wrote:Okay, so I totally didn't see these questions haha! Sorry!

Doctor:

We do the Apostles Creed:
I believe in God, the Father Almighty,
the Maker of heaven and earth,
and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord:
Who was conceived by the Holy Ghost,
born of the virgin Mary,
suffered under Pontius Pilate,
was crucified, dead, and buried;
He descended into hell.
The third day He arose again from the dead;
He ascended into heaven,
and sitteth on the right hand of God the Father Almighty;
from thence he shall come to judge the quick and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Ghost;
the holy catholic church;
the communion of saints;
the forgiveness of sins;
the resurrection of the body;
and the life everlasting.
Amen.
I actually never heard of it, but it's kinda similiar.
We take it 4 times a year :)

John Henry:

John Wesley was the Co-founder of the Bible Methodist denomination, so yes:)
Fascinating. I didn't know others did that as well.
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
John Henry
Peach Cobbler

Do you approve of curling the hair?
gabbygirl17
Mint Chocolate Chip

Eleventh Doctor wrote:Can you expand on your belief in the rapture and where that view comes from?

When do you believe justification occurs?

Two verses we get it from are: 1 Thessalonians 4:17 - Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught to together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

1 Corinthians 15:52 - In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

I know the rapture is a view that many denominations don't think is true.

John Henry wrote:Do you approve of curling the hair?
Like for a hair stlye? We have no problem about it. Do you think it's wrong?
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Rapture is a view many denominations don't hold but I can see where you're coming from.

When do you think justification occurs?

SirWhit
Banana Fudge

Those two verses support the Second Coming. If it's a secret rapture, there ain't gonna be no trumpets!

(I assume by rapture you are referring to the secret rapture).
John Henry
Peach Cobbler

Gabby, if you follow John Wesley you have to know he forbade "curling the hair". In fact, what is called "broiding", "braiding", or "plaiting" in 1 Timothy 2:9 and 1 Peter 3:3 he translated "curling".
gabbygirl17
Mint Chocolate Chip

Eleventh Doctor wrote:Rapture is a view many denominations don't hold but I can see where you're coming from.

When do you think justification occurs?

We believe it happens through faith not by works. When you get saved.
John Henry wrote:Gabby, if you follow John Wesley you have to know he forbade "curling the hair". In fact, what is called "broiding", "braiding", or "plaiting" in 1 Timothy 2:9 and 1 Peter 3:3 he translated "curling".
In the Bible days different cultures would put gold and make their hair stand out. I think that's what He means. Are you against braiding hair?
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

And when are you saved?

Do you believe faith without works is dead?

gabbygirl17
Mint Chocolate Chip

You're saved when you ask Jesus into your heart and repent and turn from your sin. Accepting and believing Jesus into your heart.

James 2:14-26New King James Version (NKJV)

Faith Without Works Is Dead
14 What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? 15 If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, “Depart in peace, be warmed and filled,” but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit? 17 Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.

So faith without works is dead. But they won't get you to Heaven. There're apart of the Christian walk, but only Jesus can save you.
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

So you have never sinned since accepting and believing Jesus into your heart?

Makes sense to me, I don't know any Christians; Protestant, Catholic, or Orthodox who would disagree with that.

John Henry
Peach Cobbler

Not braiding it. Curling as in purming.