So You Wanna Be Rich?

What do you believe and why? Here's the place to discuss anything relating to church and God.
Tarol
Peach Cobbler
Posts: 1413
Joined: June 2015

So You Wanna Be Rich?

Post

Can Christians be rich?

Debate. Discuss.

(ask MF for the exact issue to debate :P)
xo eht haiasi-
User avatar
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle
Posts: 4818
Joined: February 2015
Location: Somewhere beyond you
Contact:

Post

Here are a few verses for you to read, OxR. :P How do you think that the rich can go to Heaven after reading this?


Mark 10:25 Quote from Jesus
It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.
James 5:1-5
Come now, you rich, weep and howl for the miseries that are coming upon you. 2 Your riches have rotted and your garments are moth-eaten. 3 Your gold and silver have corroded, and their corrosion will be evidence against you and will eat your flesh like fire. You have laid up treasure in the last days. 4 Behold, the wages of the laborers who mowed your fields, which you kept back by fraud, are crying out against you, and the cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of hosts. 5 You have lived on the earth in luxury and in self-indulgence. You have fattened your hearts in a day of slaughter.
Matthew 6:19-21 Quote from Jesus
Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
Matthew 19:21 Quote from Jesus
Jesus said to him, “If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.”
~Lady Friendship Knight of the Order of Chrysostom in the Court of the Debate Vampires~
AKA Countess Concordia of the Chat, Regalia, and the Queen of Sarcasm

I am a personal quirk. --Adrian Dreamwalker
User avatar
SirWhit
Banana Fudge
Posts: 2456
Joined: October 2013

Post

People seem to conveniently ignore the verse right after the first one you cited, MF.
26 And they were greatly astonished, saying among themselves, “Who then can be saved?”

27 But Jesus looked at them and said, “With men it is impossible, but not with God; for with God all things are possible.”
Just saying. *whistles*
User avatar
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle
Posts: 4766
Joined: February 2013

Post

So MF do you possess anything?
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
User avatar
SirWhit
Banana Fudge
Posts: 2456
Joined: October 2013

Post

Yeah that's also a good point. By what standard do we judge riches? From the standpoint of Jesus's time we're all rich here in the US. We work cushy hours for the most part, have smartphones, and make a lot of money compared to the rest of the world and compared to ancient times.
User avatar
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle
Posts: 4818
Joined: February 2015
Location: Somewhere beyond you
Contact:

Post

SirWhit wrote:People seem to conveniently ignore the verse right after the first one you cited, MF.
26 And they were greatly astonished, saying among themselves, “Who then can be saved?”

27 But Jesus looked at them and said, “With men it is impossible, but not with God; for with God all things are possible.”
Just saying. *whistles*
I'm never said it wasn't impossible. I gave the verses that show how it's possible too.
Eleventh Doctor wrote:So MF do you possess anything?
Of course. This is opposite extreme some could rush to after reading those verses, but I don't think it's the right approach.
SirWhit wrote:Yeah that's also a good point. By what standard do we judge riches? From the standpoint of Jesus's time we're all rich here in the US. We work cushy hours for the most part, have smartphones, and make a lot of money compared to the rest of the world and compared to ancient times.
I totally agree with you. Compared to the rest of the world*, America is extremely wealthy. Which is why us Christians should really pay attention here to what Jesus said on wealth.

*Western Europe and Canada are wealthy as well.
~Lady Friendship Knight of the Order of Chrysostom in the Court of the Debate Vampires~
AKA Countess Concordia of the Chat, Regalia, and the Queen of Sarcasm

I am a personal quirk. --Adrian Dreamwalker
User avatar
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle
Posts: 4766
Joined: February 2013

Post

So what is an acceptable level of possessions to possess?
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
User avatar
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle
Posts: 4818
Joined: February 2015
Location: Somewhere beyond you
Contact:

Post

Eleventh Doctor wrote:So what is an acceptable level of possessions to possess?
Your focus is on the wrong place. We don't try to figure out how much wealth we can have and still be saved. Our focus should be on how much we can give to God. When we are living to give Jesus our wealth and to work as hard as we can so we have more to give, our wealth becomes a blessing instead of a curse.
~Lady Friendship Knight of the Order of Chrysostom in the Court of the Debate Vampires~
AKA Countess Concordia of the Chat, Regalia, and the Queen of Sarcasm

I am a personal quirk. --Adrian Dreamwalker
User avatar
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle
Posts: 4766
Joined: February 2013

Post

Okay, so what does that look like in practice to you?
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
User avatar
Paula
Peach Cobbler
Posts: 1255
Joined: January 2015
Location: A Time Hollow
Contact:

Post

Umm...Don't you think we should define Rich before continuing? I mean there's always going to be someone richer than you no matter where you go. Also, if you're rich and dishing out your money according to God's plans why would you not go to heaven? If you're a good steward(*refrains from quoting Whit*) of what God has given you then I don't see any reasons to not be "rich".
Image
Fast & Jelly are at it again. This time they face the evil fast clickers. Can fast be faster? Is Jelly too slow to turn them into jelly? Find out this week on Fast & Jelly! --> Penguin
"update your signature, Paperclip's term ended ages ago" -Swah
Happy now?
User avatar
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle
Posts: 4766
Joined: February 2013

Post

Let's not swing in the opposite direction. There are forces outside people's control that could mean they're not rich even if they are good stewards.
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
User avatar
Paula
Peach Cobbler
Posts: 1255
Joined: January 2015
Location: A Time Hollow
Contact:

Post

Wait...Could you clarify that? Are you saying that there's "not rich" people, who are good stewards?
Image
Fast & Jelly are at it again. This time they face the evil fast clickers. Can fast be faster? Is Jelly too slow to turn them into jelly? Find out this week on Fast & Jelly! --> Penguin
"update your signature, Paperclip's term ended ages ago" -Swah
Happy now?
User avatar
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle
Posts: 4766
Joined: February 2013

Post

No, I'm saying one could be a good steward but because of circumstances beyond their control; health issues, economics, or accidents could be poor.
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
User avatar
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle
Posts: 4818
Joined: February 2015
Location: Somewhere beyond you
Contact:

Post

I am saying if we are actively giving of our money it's possible for us to rich to go to Heaven. Our goal isn't to become "poor." (I actually know quite a few people who went this route and the picture isn't pretty.) Rather, we use our riches for a reason which includes helping the poor and in doing that actually putting our money in Heaven...like a bank that will never rust or decay.
Eleventh Doctor wrote:Okay, so what does that look like in practice to you?
Did I ever give you the short story of Frank the Wise Investor?
~Lady Friendship Knight of the Order of Chrysostom in the Court of the Debate Vampires~
AKA Countess Concordia of the Chat, Regalia, and the Queen of Sarcasm

I am a personal quirk. --Adrian Dreamwalker
User avatar
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle
Posts: 4766
Joined: February 2013

Post

You did, I didn't find that story to be helpful.
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
User avatar
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle
Posts: 4818
Joined: February 2015
Location: Somewhere beyond you
Contact:

Post

Eleventh Doctor wrote:You did, I didn't find that story to be helpful.
I'm not surprised. Well that kind of focus and vision that Frank had is what we should have for Gods Kingdom in this area of money.
~Lady Friendship Knight of the Order of Chrysostom in the Court of the Debate Vampires~
AKA Countess Concordia of the Chat, Regalia, and the Queen of Sarcasm

I am a personal quirk. --Adrian Dreamwalker
User avatar
aragtaghooligan
Fudge Marble
Posts: 870
Joined: May 2015
Location: The Great White North

Post

Ok this is what I think on the topic:

1. It is not wrong to have any amount of money whether it be rich in the well I'm struggling to buy food, but I do have a university degree, the I have a jet plane way or anything in between.
2. It is wrong to get rich by using people selfishly and trotting upon the heads of the poor on your way to the top.
3. It is wrong to hoard your riches, give nothing to the poor, waste them on yourself, do nothing with them to make the world a better place and/or use your money on un ethical things.
4. We need to remember that while I believe the above is a good brief explanation of what I think a life changed by God will and will not look like in terms of money, living properly is not what gets us to heaven. It is faith in Christ that saves us. Maybe we have sinful (which could also be read as unhealthy) relationship with money and this is an area in our life that God is still working on. Let's not guilt trip each other about that but encourage each other. I believe the discipline of simplicity brings forth the freedom from fear concerning your possessions, but it is a tough discipline to practice.
Image
Spoon
Cookies & Creme
Posts: 289
Joined: July 2014

Post

What would you say is an unethical way to spend your money?
User avatar
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle
Posts: 4818
Joined: February 2015
Location: Somewhere beyond you
Contact:

Post

Spoon wrote:What would you say is an unethical way to spend your money?
Who are you asking?
~Lady Friendship Knight of the Order of Chrysostom in the Court of the Debate Vampires~
AKA Countess Concordia of the Chat, Regalia, and the Queen of Sarcasm

I am a personal quirk. --Adrian Dreamwalker
User avatar
aragtaghooligan
Fudge Marble
Posts: 870
Joined: May 2015
Location: The Great White North

Post

Probably me because I said I think it is wrong to spend money on unethical things. I meant things that are bad for the environment or that support slavery or something like that.
Image
Post Reply