Suffering/Trusting God/Being Content/ HOW?

What do you believe and why? Here's the place to discuss anything relating to church and God.
aragtaghooligan
Fudge Marble

Suffering/Trusting God/Being Content/ HOW?

I don't even know why I'm doing this. I'm not expecting any good discussion. I tried to post some topics on here that I thought were interesting but between trolls and hard core debaters no one seems to want to discuss with confused and curious me, but this is a topic that really hurts and confuses me and I want to know what you think/ maybe I just need somewhere to vent. I was at Bible study today and we were talking about the importance of living simply, not storing up our treasure on earth, sharing, being generous, all that stuff. We talked about how we are supposed to trust God to give or take and that while we aim to be good stewards it is ultimately all his and we can't hold onto it or make it our security. Well...I got really mad and started crying. I'm really new to my city and these people don't know me well so they didn't really understand me. Some of them tried to give me some pat answers and then they gave up. This is the thing I don't know how to be content in all situations and I don't know how not to have extreme anxiety when it comes to possessions. I have an EXTREME fear of being homeless. I have never had a lot although I've always had enough but I live in constant fear that someday I won't have enough. This fear keeps me from being able to be generous.

This is the point I'm getting to: I hate it when people say trust God. Like I'm currently looking for work but I can't trust God for a job because that might not be His will. There are people who love God and trust him and have nothing and suffer greatly because we are in a fallen world. I trust God to save my soul and take me to heaven, but I don't really trust Him on earth. My dad died when I was 15 who knows what else he will take from me? So in this fallen world how do you have joy and be content. How do you deal with suffering and what does it really mean to trust God?
Woody
Cookies & Creme

I'm not going to lie, this is a hard topic. I think the reason you can't get a real answer out of anyone is simply because they don't have an answer. And I can't say I know the answer either. There are a lot of fluffy things I could say here, but I won't, since you have heard them so many times. Life is hard. We all have struggles, and I know I have trouble seeing the big picture.
Sarah Jane Smith, a Doctor Who character wrote:"Pain and loss, they define us as much as happiness or love."
It's not Scripture, but this quote is something that I think is absolutely true, and can be applied in a Spiritual context. I think God allows us to go through struggles because they can shape us into better people, and when we come out the other end, we may have more faith than we started with. When I was 12ish, my family made a long-distance move, and I had to leave all my friends and two of my sisters, and live about 600 miles away. We lived there for three years before (thankfully) returning to our hometown. And I won't lie, those three years were the darkest times of my life thus far. I came face to face with a lot of ugly stuff. I dealt with depression almost daily. Now, I know it's not an extreme situation, like losing a loved one, or being homeless, but I can confidently say that I would not be the same person today had that move not happened. Without that move, I doubt I would ever have found the AIO message board community, and therefore never started writing or coding. I would never have met the wonderful friends I have here, like Sam or Belle. I can't really be sure what I would be like today if things had been different. But I can't imagine my life without this board, or without my writing, or without the lessons I learned and the maturity I gained during those times. I don't believe I've yet finished with that particular trial, I still have bouts with depression, and some of the struggles are still ongoing, but I do see light at the end of the tunnel. I know hindsight is 20/20, and it's hard to see the good during hard times, but I have seen God's faithfulness at work. When I needed good friends, friends that could help me with my struggles, He provided this place. All I can say is, hang on tight because it will be a bumpy ride. Hold tight to God and His promises. He will come through. I hope I'm not coming across as preachy, and I'm sorry if it's not exactly the most hopeful of answers, I'm just sharing my personal experience in the hopes that it will be helpful to you :)

"You'll never be far, I'm keeping you near, inside of my heart, you're here." ~Owl City, Gold
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

I want to agree with what Woody said here. The hardest, darkest, most depressing time in my life I realize now was the time where I really matured. Without that turning point in my life, I really doubt I'd be the same person. My life a few years ago used to revolve directly around my friends, their social life, my social life and that was all that was important to me. My parents made a decision to give me a indefinite fast from my friends which ended up being quite a few months. No phone calls, no texting, no email...I was allowed letters and in person contact only. At that time, I believed my life had ended. I remember the only thing that held me back from being bitter at God for allowing this to happen, was the fact that He had allowed it into my life for a reason.

Often we view suffering as a dreadful curse upon our lives. When in reality, suffering is the greatest tool in showing us that we NEED God. Many people go through tragic cirsumstances, a hard upbringing, a mixed up family and often blame the pain of their past for their problems. And while yes, the mistakes of others do inflict cruel pain on others, God has put pain into our life for a reason. Why?

God alone knows why. But as I look back on my own life I realize, I am more aware of the pain of others because of my own pain. I can see a world past the small social world I had lived in. I am a different better person because of suffering. For those of you who might not think my suffering was great, you'd be right and wrong. I shouldn't have let myself get so wrapped up in my friends that it was such a tearing break away when I had to drop them. Compared to some circumstances living a few months without friends isn't much, I know. But for me it was a struggle and turmoil of a lifetime. God uses pain as a purifier, as a mold, to make us more and more grafted into His likeness. Suffering never makes sense while your in the midst of it, but after the storm has calmed, you can the bigger picture and see God's hand.

I have learned I can trust God, not because I understand, but because I know He does.
~Lady Friendship Knight of the Order of Chrysostom in the Court of the Debate Vampires~
AKA Countess Concordia of the Chat, Regalia, and the Queen of Sarcasm

I am a personal quirk. --Adrian Dreamwalker
aragtaghooligan
Fudge Marble

Interesting, but I didn't ask we suffer I asked how to get through it.
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

I think if you understand the reason for suffering, it helps you to get through it. It will never be easy, but never lose faith that God is doing something very important. That's what helped me through.
~Lady Friendship Knight of the Order of Chrysostom in the Court of the Debate Vampires~

aragtaghooligan
Fudge Marble

I almost get the impression that you think that there is this big picture plan for our lives as if bad things happen as a stepping stone for something better. I'm not so sure. We are stuck in a messed up world trying to maneuver through it all making choices as best as we can and fighting the urges to mess it up more through out own sin. Other than heave there is no guarantee that this chaos is going anywhere.
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Ragtag let me share a bit of my own story. I grew up in a Christian home, Reformed Protestant, and I prayed the sinners prayer when I was 6 and I went through the motions but it was never really my faith. When I went away to college and my parents and friends weren't there I stopped going to church. I eventually flunked out of college after my first year and spent the next few years doing random film and political jobs; it was really a low point for me personally this school had been my dream school. But then a couple years later I was hanging out with some friends from the school I had flunked out of, they were living in the area and the girlfriend of one started talking to me about Christianity and it really got to me and I decided to go to church with her and my friend. As soon as I walked into their parish, now mine, I experienced God for the first time and I've been going there ever since. God used the friends I made at the low point in my life to bring me back. Now some stuff is just messed up and chaotic but sometimes it's not.
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Actually yes, I do believe that. God doesn't create bad things, but He has the power to turn it around into something good for us. What the Devil wants to use to injure and hurt us, God uses it for our good.

God wants us to lift our eyes from the chaos of this world and focus instead on things that are beautiful and good. We are commanded to give thanks in all things. That includes everything. We should have the attitude of "I can do everything through Christ" instead of "what a wretched sinner I am" Not saying there isn't a time for repentance, but that can't be our main focus.

Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

I saw this posted by a priest's wife on Facebook and thought of this thread.

“God loves to be a comforter. His heart is ever tender and compassionate toward human pain and suffering. When we look into the Bible we find it full of comfort from beginning to end. On every page God is trying to get men to believe that He loves them, that He is their friend, that He wants them to do good. There is not a chapter in the Scriptures which does not in some way reveal or declare divine mercy. That is what makes the Bible such a dear and precious book to the dreary, the struggling, the disappointed, the wronged, the bereaved, the lonely. The Bible is like a mother’s bosom, to lay one’s head upon in a time of pain and distress.”

- New Martyr Tsaritsa Alexandra (+1918), Garden of the Heart, p. 41
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
aragtaghooligan
Fudge Marble

I think that is really interesting because I've been thinking about something. I sometimes get the sense that Christians think all suffering is leading us somewhere and God is working out some master plan that leaves us rich and happy. That is just not the case, some Christians may live their whole lives with nothing but misery where the chaos never turns into something beautiful. So where does that leave them? How do they hope and trust? Are they left with naught but heaven which they may not experience for many many years? When I look at my own experiences I found that the deepest pain often didn't come from poverty, pain, or loss but from feeling worthless, ashamed, guilty, alone, and unloved. I think the deepest Joy in Christ comes from His love, forgiveness, and the knowledge that He is with us always. I only wish I knew how to continue to believe that. It is so hard for me when the world screams at me "You can't do anything right, you don't have a good job or nice things you are a failure." And Christian culture screams "You still have sin you fight, you aren't trying hard enough, you aren't good enough, and your faith is too weak." No one seems to want me and I seem to belong nowhere, so it is hard to continually remind myself that the King of the universe loves me, forgives me, wants me, values me, and is with me. I wish I could find a way to hold onto that.
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

It is really hard to hold on to that and finding a community to support you is so important. For me the example of the Saints is a great comfort and example to emulate. So that quote is written by Tsaritsa Alexandria, the last Tsaritsa of Russia as her country was being torn apart by revolution. The same year she wrote that book she and her entire family was martyred by the Bolsheviks; their last act was prayer to God. That story reminds me that I can have courage like that, even when it's obvious, as it was to the Tsaritsa, that obedience and bravery won't lead to happiness and riches in this world.

aragtaghooligan
Fudge Marble

I guess I understand theoretically how people could do that, but experientially I can't even get through a plain old day without crumbling.
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

The Christian life is a series of falling down and getting back up again.

aragtaghooligan
Fudge Marble

Or in my case just laying on the ground your whole life :P
Blitz
Moose Tracks

It's funny that people trust God to save them which took the biggest price in the world and is the most important thing in the world, yet can't with the day to day things.
This is something pretty near to me. I reguarly have to go through suffering. I rely on people because I am a missionary kid. We don't work a job. Trusting God is near part of me. I'll admit it is hard. I live a far from comfortable life. I have to teach myself to rejoice in difficulty. I've fought depression since I was 8. God is the only real recourse I have. I have never had a best friend face to face. I haven't had a lot of things, yet I am generally a joyful person.
Pretty much I spend a large amount of time in the Bible and praying.
Anyway, if you think about it, nothing you do can prevent you from experiencing problems. It only makes it worse to try to do it yourself. I personally find it killing to try to do it myself. God alone controls the world. If your going to be poor, it will happen. Nothing is sure in this world outside of God. Its a truth hard to come to. I still struggle with it so often. His will for you will always provide joy and peace. The apostles found it despite being beaten. Peter slept like a baby on the day before his execution. I find peace despite not knowing if ends will meet each month.
I find trying to control life ends in getting broken.
Debate Vampire

Everyone (Blitz doesn't count) fears ninjas, except for one: I, Ninjahunter

Can you change me from the monster you made me? Monster: Starset