What do you think of David J. Stewart and his website?

What do you believe and why? Here's the place to discuss anything relating to church and God.
jehoshaphat
Cookies & Creme

No Roman Catholics worship saints. We honor them and ask for there prayers because they lived holy and God filled lives and we believe they are now in heaven. It is the same thing with Mary. We do not worship her, only honor and revere her because she is the Mother of God. Don't worry it is a common istake made by protestants.
John Henry
Peach Cobbler

Does the Holy Scriptures or what we call Apocrypha ever teach the worship of the Saints? Also, what about Mary? Oh, and Jehoshaphat -Dr. 11 is actually an Orthodox.
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

John Henry wrote:Does the Holy Scriptures or what we call Apocrypha ever teach the worship of the Saints?
It doesn't matter, as both Eleventh Doctor and jehoshaphat just stated that the Catholic Church does not teach Saint or Mary worship.
Last edited by TigerShadow on Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
it's not about 'deserve'. it's about what you believe. and i believe in love
John Henry
Peach Cobbler

Really? I can't believe this! O.o
Doll
Rainbow Sherbet

John Henry wrote:Really? I can't believe this! O.o
You can't believe that people are refuting your assumptions about what they believe because it isn't true? O_o
~Queen Belle of Altanovia, Knight of Montreal & Order of Aristotle, Benevolent Dictator, Catspaw of the SS, & Dan's couch troll~
~"I’ve always found you to be a good person to disagree with." - Eleventh Doctor~
jehoshaphat
Cookies & Creme

And I do know that 11th is Orthodox. John Henry, did you even read the post I wrote?
John Henry
Peach Cobbler

Yes, but that's interesting. I pass by a Catholic Church every day, and whenever I see people passing by a statue of Mary - they bow their heads - or even pray to her.
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Okay and as jehoshaphat said, Orthodox and Catholic veneration of Mary is not worship.
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
John Henry
Peach Cobbler

Not worship? They call her terms like "Mother of God" and "Queen of Heaven".
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

She is those things. That is not worship. Are you hoping to convince us that we are indeed worshiping Mary?
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
John Henry
Peach Cobbler

Catholic actually PRAY to her.
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

No, they ask her to pray for them. In the same way you would ask your mother to pray for you.

John Henry
Peach Cobbler

Why, does the Bible or Apocrypha teach that? Scripture please. Also, back to topic - David J. Stewart teaches that the new Pope was a member of Hitler's Youth - yet, I found that to be incorrect.
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Where in Scripture do you find teachings that say to ask others for prayer? I assume you do ask others to pray for you?

Again, you do realize that David J. Stewart created this site as a joke right? Also back when he wrote that he was referring to Pope Benedict who was indeed a member of Hitler's Youth; like the vast majority of German youth at the time.

John Henry
Peach Cobbler

Yet, I think he was forced to...I'll get my source soon.
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Okay, have you figured out yet that you were mistaken about Catholics worshiping Saints?

SirWhit
Banana Fudge

John Henry wrote:Yet, I think he was forced to...I'll get my source soon.
For the last time, if you don't have a source, don't post it. If you continue to post without verifiable sources, you can give up any hope of being taken seriously by me ever again.
Blitz
Moose Tracks

Actually back in the Middle Ages, in some areas, Saint worship was practiced. England outlawed it after they broke from the Catholic Church.
(taken from Henry the 8th.)
Debate Vampire

Everyone (Blitz doesn't count) fears ninjas, except for one: I, Ninjahunter

Can you change me from the monster you made me? Monster: Starset
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Actual sources, not historical figures. How were the Saints worshiped and how did England outlaw it?

Blitz
Moose Tracks

No, I mean I read it in one of the books about him. It was one of the few things he did when he left the Catholic church. There were formerly a lot of saint statues in England that through mechanical devices could do tricks. English were highly superstitious so some worshiped them.
Here is the quote
"...Denouced the abuse of of images, warned men against excessive devotion to saints..." (Henry VIII, A.F. Pollard)
The rest of the chapter goes on to continue to describe Henry the 8th destruction of many statues which were worshiped and his other changes to the church.
Debate Vampire

Everyone (Blitz doesn't count) fears ninjas, except for one: I, Ninjahunter

Can you change me from the monster you made me? Monster: Starset