The Case of the Missing Seven Books

What do you believe and why? Here's the place to discuss anything relating to church and God.

Does Your Bible Include Deuteronomy?

Poll ended at Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:41 pm

Sure
91%
No
9%
What's Deuteronomy? The study of a type of insect?
No votes

Total votes: 11

Blitz
Moose Tracks

*Is to lazy do that* Actually more like in encyclopedias you find that they count them as less reliable.
Debate Vampire

Everyone (Blitz doesn't count) fears ninjas, except for one: I, Ninjahunter

Can you change me from the monster you made me? Monster: Starset
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

In encyclopedias you find they count them as more reliable, there we go, just as much backing as your argument and so equally valid.
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
Blitz
Moose Tracks

I said less reliable in encyclopedias.
Debate Vampire

Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

And I said more reliable, which of us is right? Who knows because you won't cite these encyclopedias. So as far as we know I'm actually right.
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
Blitz
Moose Tracks

World Encyclopedia, the one the kindles uses etc.
Debate Vampire

Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

There is no Encyclopedia called "World Encyclopedia". Do you maybe mean World Book Encyclopedia by Encyclopedia Britannica? My Kindle has the New Oxford American Dictionary and the Oxford Dictionary of English, does your Kindle have an Encyclopedia?

Blitz
Moose Tracks

Well the New Oxford dictionary also double as an encyclopedia and World Book Encyclopedia is also called World.
Debate Vampire

Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

So, maybe the Oxford Encyclopedia says some non-Christians consider the Protestant Bible more accurate. If so, that proves... what?

That non-Christians are eager to endorse the shorter version of a book they claim is largely false in the first place? Would you expect them to prefer the longer version? Given the choice between a longer Bible and a shorter, they would only naturally choose the shorter. Non-Christians, after all, by definition, disbelieve even in the Resurrection. They would like to dismiss nearly the entire Bible, or at the very least, all the miracles in it, as false.
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
Doll
Rainbow Sherbet

Pound Foolish wrote: That non-Christians are eager to endorse the shorter version of a book they claim is largely false in the first place? Would you expect them to prefer the longer version? Given the choice between a longer Bible and a shorter, they would only naturally choose the shorter.
I don't have anything to add to this debate, only that this quote made my day, and made me laugh. xD
~Queen Belle of Altanovia, Knight of Montreal & Order of Aristotle, Benevolent Dictator, Catspaw of the SS, & Dan's couch troll~
~"I’ve always found you to be a good person to disagree with." - Eleventh Doctor~
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

The New Oxford Dictionary does indeed define the Bible as consisting of 66 books. The Oxford Dictionary of English however simply describes it as consisting of the Old and New Testament.

The New Oxford Dictionary defines the Septuagint as "a Greek version of the Hebrew Bible (or Old Testament), including the Apocrypha, made for Greek speaking Jews in Egypt in the 3rd and 2nd centuries BC and adopted by the early Christian Churches." So using your own source the Septuagint is actually the text used by the early Church.

Blitz
Moose Tracks

Oh and the Jews refuse to recognize more then 66 books. And at a time the Catholic Church, if I am right, only recognized 66.
Debate Vampire

Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Well first off the Jews never recognized 66 books because they don't recognize the New Testament but some sects of Judaism only recognized the five books of the Torah. Some like the Essenes, the sect that lived near the Dead Sea, recognized more than any other sects. The Septuagint, the text I use, was translated by Jews living abroad in Alexandria in 300 BC. It wasn't until the 2nd Century AD at the Council of Jamnia that the modern Jewish canon, shared by the Protestants, was finalized.

Do you have a source for the Catholic church argument?

Blitz
Moose Tracks

I said I think if I read an article awhile back correctly. Any way I don't really care about the books left out though if I get the chance I will read them to see.
Debate Vampire

Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

A disgruntled debater mumbling after putting a long time towards the debate that he all of a sudden "doesn't care" about the subject. Well now, that's a surrender if I ever saw one. The Good Doctor wins, as usual, unless Blitz returns.

Now. So far, while Blitz claimed the Deuterocanonical books are invalid, nobody's actually proven that. In fact, nobody's even put forth any evidence.

The Deuterocanical books are perfectly inerrant. The fact is, you Protestants have an abridged Bible! Here you people are, with the Bible as your "only authority", and you only have two thirds of it.

Isn't that a bit of a problem?
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
Blitz
Moose Tracks

Oh did your forget Deuterocanical books are in the Old Testament. At least most I thk. And this is way away from the areas I know.
Debate Vampire

Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Actually Blitz the Protestant Old Testament is missing 1 Esdras, Tobit, Judith, Additions to Esther, Wisdom of Solomon, Ecclesiasticus, Baruch, Epistle of Jeremiah, Song of the Three Children, Story of Susanna, Bel and the Dragon, Prayer of Manasseh, 1-4 Maccabees, and Psalm 151.

Blitz
Moose Tracks

Most of those are legends or are not found in all of the texts.
Debate Vampire

Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Can you explain what you mean by legends? And expand on your point they're not in most texts? The majority of Christians in the world have them in their texts.

Blitz
Moose Tracks

*coughs* Protestants make up a large majority, and we don't use them. The only half of the Christians that use it are the Catholics.
The Story of Susanna and Bel and the Dragon are both considered to be legends why the Jewish. And some of the others one but I don't remember which ones.
Debate Vampire

Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

Blitz wrote:*coughs* Protestants make up a large majority, and we don't use them. The only.
Since Eleventh Doctor can easily handle this, I'll let him enjoy correcting you here. But I just couldn't refrain from saying this is highly amusing. Ah, the masterful art of self-delusion. Now, to be clear though Blitz, I am impressed that you are comfortable with debating at all. it seems many Protestants aren't.