My church, your church, our church.

What do you believe and why? Here's the place to discuss anything relating to church and God.
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

aragtaghooligan wrote:but I also want to see more unity for those of us who believe that God created the world, sent His only son to be fully human while remaining fully God and to die out of love for us, and that we have the Holy Spirit as our helper. In the spirit of unity I was hoping we could all share something about our church that we see as being especially beautiful or helpful to us. I don't want this to be a debate about which type of church is more true or more good, but a place to share things we find beautiful about our churches.
(Emphasis mine)
it's not about 'deserve'. it's about what you believe. and i believe in love
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Ahem, it appears I owe you an apology, ragtag. I will ignore Eleventh on this thread. There will be no more disagreement.
~Lady Friendship Knight of the Order of Chrysostom in the Court of the Debate Vampires~
AKA Countess Concordia of the Chat, Regalia, and the Queen of Sarcasm

I am a personal quirk. --Adrian Dreamwalker
aragtaghooligan
Fudge Marble

It's fine like I said I like discussion, I just think we need to be careful with it
DredgeAmazing
Cookies & Creme

Eleventh Doctor wrote:I can see your point with different learning styles but I don't think it holds up. I don't see different styles of worship available in the Old Testament, there is one style. In the examples we have of worship in the NT and of worship in Heaven in Revelation we don't see multiple styles.

But something from my tradition I find especially beautiful. The thing that was most different from the traditions that I grew up in that I had trouble adjusting to at first were icons, icons are two dimensional religious art portraying Christ, scenes from His life, Mary, and the other Saints. We also use them as focuses for worship, reminding ourselves of the stories depicted in them and reminders of the reality that God and the Saints, the cloud of witnesses, are always present with us. Here are some of my favorite icons.

But... what about worshipping the icons instead of what they represent?
LIVE in color, but 1968 color nonetheless
--A very misguided Panasonic viewer
TigerShadow wrote:
I think Disney should focus on making their line more ethnically diverse instead of focusing on more white girls.
I know Martin is smiling down.
Spoon
Cookies & Creme

Funny, it would appear that has already been addressed in this very topic. Let me save you the hassle of looking for it.
Eleventh Doctor wrote:Do I believe Jesus can ever be fully described in a picture? No, I don't and we don't worship the icons. As I said they are physical reminders of the reality of Christ being everywhere present. As for the use of images in worship, the OT is full of God commanded images being used in Tabernacle and Temple worship.
The Old Judge
Mint Chocolate Chip

The topic is about "unity," in the context of we get to share what is our favorite part of all of our churches. It is supposed to unify us in the belief that all of us actually have feelings such as compassion and are not out just to tear people down through cynicism, sarcasm, and degradation. ;)

Okay, ragtag, one of my favorite things about my church is our bus ministry. We have 15-18 workers that run 5 routes around the county (4 buses and 1 van) every Sunday morning. On Saturday morning, we eat breakfast together, and then we go out and visit our routes. It's always wonderful to visit the kids (and some adults), talk to them, give out candy, and let them know we care. Watching them run out when we pull up is incredible. You develop a bond with these children. They latch onto you, as some of them really have no one else. Seeing them learn the songs and the Bible stories is wonderful, but nothing beats when one of our kids accepts Jesus Christ as their Saviour.
Do you think you know music? Guess the hints at the end of each of my posts in A Musical Journey. (The name's a link. You can click it.)