What would you have done?

What do you believe and why? Here's the place to discuss anything relating to church and God.
Suzy Lou Foolish
Peanut Butter Cup

What would you have done?

Yesterday I was in the car on the way to a party with a few of my friends, I was having a good time until they started talking about some inappropriate movies and music they like. I really wanted to say something, but wasn't sure what to say...plus I felt a little bit embarrassed to say anything anyways. So instead I just sat back and put on my headphones and pretended not to listen. Now I feel guilty. I feel like God would have wanted me to have talked to them about it.
What would you have done in a situation like that?
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

Well, we probably have different ideas of appropriate. In fact, I don't even like that word, it makes feel like a mother. ;) If a friend was talking about a subject I considered... indecorous :) I would probably say something like "Guys, I am going to oh-so-subtly change the subject." You're not me, and I'm guessing you would never say that. So, then, perhaps you could've listened for the first opportunity to talk about different movie, or said "I'm sorry, but could we talk about something else? That movie has stuff in it that stinks." Boy, now I REALLY Of course, I don't know your friends, so maybe neither of those would've worked, I wouldn't know.
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
HannahJ.
Mocha Jamocha

I would've asked myself What would Jesus Do? Then make a decision.
Why do nothing when you can Dance?
Suzy Lou Foolish
Peanut Butter Cup

Pound Foolish wrote:Well, we probably have different ideas of appropriate. In fact, I don't even like that word, it makes feel like a mother. ;) If a friend was talking about a subject I considered... indecorous :) I would probably say something like "Guys, I am going to oh-so-subtly change the subject." You're not me, and I'm guessing you would never say that. So, then, perhaps you could've listened for the first opportunity to talk about different movie, or said "I'm sorry, but could we talk about something else? That movie has stuff in it that stinks." Boy, now I REALLY Of course, I don't know your friends, so maybe neither of those would've worked, I wouldn't know.
lol, Pound Foolish! I must agree, it does sound rather motherly, but 'inappropriate' was an absolutely um, appropriate, word for this occasion. :) Anyways, I think anyone would agree that this conversation was- what did you say "indecorous"? One of the girls was bragging about how a certain band she listens to is so filthy that their music isn't even played on any radio stations, and the movies that were being discussed aren't even proper for adults, much less a bunch of 15 year old girls.
I wish I would have have talked to them about it and why I didn't think it was right...but I've tried that before on other subjects and some of them just act like I'm just a crazy Jesus freak that doesn't approve of anything.
Does there come a time where you just stop trying to minister to people who just don't seem to accept anything you have to say?
Rosy
Cookie Dough

I would have said something like "Guys, I'm not aloud to watch/listen to that." My friends do sometimes talk about such things, but if I say something that that they usually stop. But I'm homeschooled, and all of my friends go to church, so it may not be the same for you.
꿈. 희망. 전진.
EugeneforPresident
Raspberry Ripple

Suzylou, even though it might not be the right thing to do, if I was in the exact situation, I would probably do the same thing. You're not alone!! But it is called the fear of man, and I think saying SOMETHInG might help. Sometimes i just say, "Can we talk about something else?"
Last edited by EugeneforPresident on Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eugene would be the best President, don't you think?
I'm a member of the:
Modest Cheerleaders Club!
Superheros Club!
Totally Tubular Commenting Club!
Doll Lovers Club!
Soda Shop Sisters Club!
Emily? Well, I'm in the middle somewhere.
ImageImage
Suzy Lou Foolish
Peanut Butter Cup

underseasie wrote:I would have said something like "Guys, I'm not aloud to watch/listen to that." My friends do sometimes talk about such things, but if I say something that that they usually stop. But I'm homeschooled, and all of my friends go to church, so it may not be the same for you.
I'm home-schooled, but not all of my friends are. Not all of them claim to be Christians either. Sometimes I think I should just quite hanging around that group of girls...but the bad thing is that a couple of them are my relatives and you can't really just quite hanging out with your relatives.

Isn't there a verse in the bible about not hanging out with bad companionship? Anybody know what I'm talking about?
gabbygirl17
Mint Chocolate Chip

I've been in a similar situation. Once i was with 2 friends (it turned into 4 once i think) anyway and they were listening to music i wasnt allowed to and i didnt know what to say or do so i told one of my friends the issue and she said hey lets not listen to any music anymore. I felt weird since they were singing along and stuff so yes you are NOT alone! Also pray as well. :)
"Your words were found, and I ate them, and your words became to me a joy and the delight of my heart, for I am called by your name, O Lord, God of hosts." - Jeremiah 15:16
ArnoldtheRubberDucky
Butter Pecan

Now this, is a very interesting topic. For once, I actually read every single comment on here. I think I'm like EugeneforPresident in that I would have done the same thing. It's not right, and we regret it later, but we would do it. People, even Christians, sometimes get caught up in what everyone else is doing. They want to speak up, but they don't want to look weird or lose friends. I can completely understand what you did, suzy. It might even seem right at the time. I think Pound Foolish was on to something. You can subtly change the subject, and if they still talk about it, then I would just say, 'guys, I'm not allowed to listen to this.' If they still keep it up, you might want to consider hanging out with some other people.
Do I sound like a Christian guidebook to you? If I am, sorry! I wouldn't be the best writer of Christian guidebooks. This is just what I would do.
Sir Arnold, Knight of the Order of Augustine, Debate Vampire
Mr. Yorp wrote:You don't need a degree to shovel manure.
Suzy Lou Foolish
Peanut Butter Cup

Thank you, Mr. Thinker. No, you do not sound like a Christian guidebook...I really appreciate what you said. You've also hit the nail on the head, especially about maybe finding some other people to hang out with. Its been nagging me for a while that I really need to move on from these friends and find others who are more like me and who are also strong in their faith and all. Its just hard, you know? Anyways, with God's strength hopefully I can do the right thing- I wouldn't mind prayers though:)
HannahJ.
Mocha Jamocha

This is random but Mr. Thinker What is a Christian Guide Book isn't that the Bible? Great Advice though.
Why do nothing when you can Dance?
EugeneforPresident
Raspberry Ripple

Just prayed for you Suzy!!
I'm a member of the:
Superheros Club!
Doll Lovers Club!
Soda Shop Sisters Club!
ImageImage
Suzy Lou Foolish
Peanut Butter Cup

EugeneforPresident wrote:Just prayed for you Suzy!!
Thanks, that means a lot to me!
EugeneforPresident
Raspberry Ripple

Cool!!
I'm a member of the:
Superheros Club!
Doll Lovers Club!
Soda Shop Sisters Club!
ImageImage
ArnoldtheRubberDucky
Butter Pecan

HannahJ. wrote:This is random but Mr. Thinker What is a Christian Guide Book isn't that the Bible? Great Advice though.
It's okay, I'm random too! Yes, The Bible is of course the best Christian guide book, but there are others. Some of them are about specialty subjects. I believe Dr. Dobson has written a few.
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

Nicely said, Mr. Thinker, especially the part where you agreed with (ahem) me. But I would disagree with one thing. You can't just dump your friends willy nilly. Giving up on friends must be done as little as possible. Most people today listen to objectionable music and talk about objectionable, er, inaprop... er, indecorous movies. So avoiding those people would be problematic. My best friend's fav song is I'm S..y and I Know It!! (By here own admission too!) ;) I know there are lots worse songs out there, but that song is very indecorous.
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
ArnoldtheRubberDucky
Butter Pecan

Pound Foolish wrote:Nicely said, Mr. Thinker, especially the part where you agreed with (ahem) me. But I would disagree with one thing. You can't just dump your friends willy nilly. Giving up on friends must be done as little as possible. Most people today listen to objectionable music and talk about objectionable, er, inaprop... er, indecorous movies. So avoiding those people would be problematic. My best friend's fav song is I'm S..y and I Know It!! (By here own admission too!) ;) I know there are lots worse songs out there, but that song is very indecorous.
True, PF. I have friends who are addicted to The Hunger Games books and movie. That's probably not as bad, though.
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

Hmmm, how shall I put this? Oh well, there's no tactful way to say it. Personally, I enjoy the Hunger Games books, and the movie isn't even as violent as the books, it makes LOTR look like a gory horror flick. Nuff zaid.