The Bookshelf

If it doesn't pertain to Adventures in Odyssey, you've stepped into the right place! Grab a chair, and talk about your favorite books, TV shows, join a debate, or just be random!
shnoodlec.
Fudge Marble

Oh, I read 'Black' by Ted Dekker!
High wellborn Lady shnoodlec Knight of the Order of Augustine, formally known as Queen of the Monkeys. Q&A thread HERE. "SHNOOD IS THE OLDBIE NEWBIE AND SHE IS THE ONLY ONE WHO GETS THAT TITLE" - Belle
Ameraka
Fudge Marble

shnoodlec wrote:Oh, I read 'Black' by Ted Dekker!
The Circle Trilogy are good books. I just picked up Chosen from the library, set in the same world. To read after Thr3e. :)

My book, Justice Lost, is on Amazon Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JM1XFCI
NateVONgreat
Cookies & Creme

"Born to Fly" an autobiography by Shane Osborn. Really interesting, especially because I dream of flying in the Air force!
I got 2 new books for Christmas, so soon I will be reading those.

Sandwiches are wonderful
Sandwiches are fine!
I like sandwiches, I eat them all the time!
Liz'alike
Cookie Dough

Speaking of Ted Dekker and more of a spiritual thriller genera, I'm reading "Ghost: A John Specter Novel" by Wayne Thomas Batson. It is REALLY good so far!
Metal15
Peanut Butter Cup

I'm reading a fantasy book I haven't read before called "War of the Spider Queen". o_O It's almost as thick as War and Peace, if not just as thick.
I'm the leader of the KRE, the group dedicated to countering ERK the Emily-centered cult. Join either team, you'll have a blast.

My Youtube channel --> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa8Nt7 ... ILthNNlUww

Feminism is cray.

FREEDOM!!!

Music FB page: https://www.facebook.com/louismusicdefinitelyofficial/
Liz'alike
Cookie Dough

Wow, the title is really close to "The Curse of the Spider King." Really good book!
Is that one good, Metal?
Metal15
Peanut Butter Cup

Is that one good, Metal?
It's actually a pretty hard book to read. At least for me. It's got big words and complex sentences. But, as far as I can tell it seems interesting.

An excerpt:
The glimmer of light in the dark Abyss promised renewal and greater glory and made that promise all the sweeter with its hints of danger, mortal danger for a creature immortal by nature. That, too, was the allure, was, in truth, the greatest joy of the growth. The mother of chaos was fear, not evil, and the enjoyment of chaos was the continual fear of the unknown, the shifting foundation of everything, the knowledge that every twist and turn could lead to disaster.
I'm the leader of the KRE, the group dedicated to countering ERK the Emily-centered cult. Join either team, you'll have a blast.

My Youtube channel --> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa8Nt7 ... ILthNNlUww

Feminism is cray.

FREEDOM!!!

Music FB page: https://www.facebook.com/louismusicdefinitelyofficial/
Batgirl
Cookies & Creme

Finished The Neverending Story. :)
"Sometimes the best book has the dustiest jacket, and sometimes the best tea cup is chipped."
musicalscribbles
Vanilla

I just finished reading a book call Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers, and I have to say it's now one of my favorites. Her writing style is so addicting, and the plot is wonderful! I haven't read a book that fast since I read the Ender's Game.

I am currently reading a book by Michael Gungor called The Crowd, The Critic, and The Muse. It's going quite well right now. :)
~to God be the glory~
Liz'alike
Cookie Dough

*squeeks* you're on! Hehe

I've never read that, but I've heard conflicting opinions on it. Some say its great. Some say its sappy. Some say its inappropriate... One of these days I'll read it!
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

You read Neverending Story, Bat Girl? Squeal. That book is awesome. So incredibly amazingly creative and rather heartbreaking yet ulitimately uplifting.

I'm about half way through Wuthering Heights, Helios sir. It's quite fascinating, reading about these changing, changing, channnnging individuals. I go back and forth between absolutely adoring Catherine and wishing she'd go jump in the lake. Say, is the whole rest of the book in third person? That would be odd.
  • "Pound Foolish, I just adoreee arguing with you! Here, have an eyeball."
~Suzy Lou Foolish

As the founder of the E.R.K., may I say: Emily RULES!
Helios
Butter Pecan

Wow, ma'am, sounds like Wuthering Heights is fitting you just fine. I'm more of a Jane Austen person, tho. (my guy friend cannot fathom this, but since he also hates Emily, I'm not sure what to make of him) :P But Wuthering does sound fascinating. Perhaps I'll pick it up sometime....if I ever get enough of Percy Jackson and the Hardy boys. *snicker snicker* :P I must say, you sound as if you might marry Catherine one of these fine days. :P
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

Wait a sec, you doubted whether my intelligence capacity could handle it, but you've never read it yourself? Well, I don't mind telling you, it does take a great deal of intelligence. It's the sort of book a truly cultured person enjoys. I mean, not that you aren't cultured or anything, honey bunny.

Wait, you're an Austen person!? Ohmighosh, I could hug you... I am hugging you. Oops. Um, I hope you don't mind.
Anyhow, I've read P&P (of course) Sense and Sensibility, Mansfield Park, Emma, and my favorite, Northanger Abbey (I am so incredibly like Catherine and find Henry Tilney
a delight.) In fact, come to think of it, all I have left is Persuasion. After that, apart from her short stories, that's it. No more unread Austen. Ahh-ugh! I didn't even realize till now. I hold you responsible.
  • "Pound Foolish, I just adoreee arguing with you! Here, have an eyeball."
~Suzy Lou Foolish

As the founder of the E.R.K., may I say: Emily RULES!
Helios
Butter Pecan

Honey bunny....SO INSULTING!!! :evil: :D I prefer sir.... :evil: And that was a joke...you know, a joke. Not really meaning it? *sigh* I weep for the generation of guys who think they're so cool and funny and can't even get a single joke by a little girl with five-inch thick glasses... :P

But anyway, from the way you talk, I'm sure you understand it just fine. Have you ever read any of Dickens? Now THAT'S heavy reading! :D

I don't mind being hugged...just let me raise my knee and kick you up the A-frame. :P Okay, not really. I loved P&P and Emma, and Northanger Abbey was great. :D Wonderfully creepy...and the Tilney dad is such a jerk! :P

Thank you. I take my responsibility quite heavily (as in weight, ya know, pounds?) :D After all, ma'am, if it wasn't for me...why, you'd just blow away in the breeze... *sighs wistfully* :P
GratiaDei
Cookies & Creme

Pound Foolish wrote:Anyhow, I've read P&P (of course) Sense and Sensibility, Mansfield Park, Emma, and my favorite, Northanger Abbey (I am so incredibly like Catherine and find Henry Tilney
a delight.) In fact, come to think of it, all I have left is Persuasion. After that, apart from her short stories, that's it. No more unread Austen. Ahh-ugh! I didn't even realize till now. I hold you responsible.
Excellent, a Jane Austen fan. My guy youth leader and I have been reading her books together (basically he tells me he's reading one, and then I finish it within the week). I think my favorite was Emma. I've really enjoyed them, but I definitely err on the side of fantasy-fiction in terms of a good read.

I'm currently reading Born Again, I finally started, I know, and the Seven Wonders series by Peter Lerangis. And I just finished Airman by Eoin Colfer. It was amazing!
Last edited by GratiaDei on Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mara
Pistachio

I really enjoyed reading Emma too!
HomeschoolCowgirl
Peach Cobbler

I <3 the Golden Filly Series, and the High Hurdles Series!
"Musical training is a more potent instrument than any other, for rhythm and harmony find their way into the inner places of the soul... making the soul of one who is rightly educated, graceful" -- Socrates
Liz'alike
Cookie Dough

I finished "Ghost: A John Spector Novel" definitely one of my favorites from Mr. Batson!

I am now reading "If we Survive" by Andrew Klavan. Hoping it will be as awesome as the Homelander series :)
Stella C.
Peach Cobbler

I really enjoyed that book, If We Survive! The Homelanders was better, but it was still a good read! Have you read his newest book, Nightmare City? Epic book O.O
Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring. -Proverbs 27:1
Sam: Up on our mountain, where the muffins stink, the boys aren't, and we play music all day long.. xD
Stella: Sounds AWESOME!
Starflower1234
Cookies & Creme

I just finished Merlin's Shadow, the 2nd book in the Merlin Spiral series by Robert Treskillard. It was awesome! It's a Christian teen fantasy about Merlin, and is an awesome twist on the King Arthur legend. It's very well written and it's so cool seeing the legend of King Arthur unfold in new ways. The way he does the Sword in the Stone and Morgana is awesome! I loved it and can't wait for the third one to come out.
I made a promise, Mr. Frodo. A promise. "Don't you leave him Samwise Gamgee." And I don't mean to. I don't mean to. - Sam from The Fellowship of the Ring movie
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you! - Sam from The Return of the King movie