Participate in an Amazing Scientific Survey!

If it doesn't pertain to Adventures in Odyssey, you've stepped into the right place! Grab a chair, and talk about your favorite books, TV shows, join a debate, or just be random!
Hermione
Chocolate Chip

Participate in an Amazing Scientific Survey!

...Or just help me with my non-science-major lab. ;)

So, basically, I have to get the opinions of at least three people (more, if possible) on the subject of global climate change. I'm not looking for an argument or a debate, I really just need the opinions of three people on the topic of global climate change. Because then I can complete my science assignment and move on with my life and be happy.

SO.

If you'd like to help me out, I just need you to answer the following question:

Do you believe that global climate change is occurring? Why or why not?

If you're willing to participate, I also need to know your gender, age, marital status, and location (country or state). I don't need your real name. Or a six thousand word essay. If you could just type up a few sentences, that would do nicely.

Thanks for your help! For each of the first three people to reply, I will write a short poem on one of the following: cheese, insomnia, mascara, socks, or world domination. You pick.
"The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it." - Flannery O'Connor
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

It's very plain climate change is occurring and all but certainly the driving source is humankind. . If you ask a scientist, it's really just not a question, it's a real things that's destroying the very things they study. Acidification is literally disintegrating our reefs. The warming is dramatic and unprecedented, it's outdistancing anything in the past indicated by any evidence. Far too much of the oil we use is from fracking. Seriously, fracking, say it aloud, it sounds like a really nasty swear word. You literally break up the earth, pump in enormous amounts of precious water containing numerous chemicals, then heavily process that earth to get proportionally little oil. It releases huge amounts of greenhouse gas. The process destroys the area, it may be debated by the general public but people who live remotely near such areas can tell you. Ask the aborigines in Canada who rely on the fish to feed their family, fish that now causes cancer. Fracking is pretty harmful if you ask them. I'm not a big Obama fan, but thank God he stopped that pipeline.

So yeah. Climate change. Real. Get over it. Let's fix it.
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
Hermione
Chocolate Chip

Pound Foolish wrote:It's very plain climate change is occurring and all but certainly the driving source is humankind. . If you ask a scientist, it's really just not a question, it's a real things that's destroying the very things they study. Acidification is literally disintegrating our reefs. The warming is dramatic and unprecedented, it's outdistancing anything in the past indicated by any evidence. Far too much of the oil we use is from fracking. Seriously, fracking, say it aloud, it sounds like a really nasty swear word. You literally break up the earth, pump in enormous amounts of precious water containing numerous chemicals, then heavily process that earth to get proportionally little oil. It releases huge amounts of greenhouse gas. The process destroys the area, it may be debated by the general public but people who live remotely near such areas can tell you. Ask the aborigines in Canada who rely on the fish to feed their family, fish that now causes cancer. Fracking is pretty harmful if you ask them. I'm not a big Obama fan, but thank God he stopped that pipeline.

So yeah. Climate change. Real. Get over it. Let's fix it.
Many thanks for your help!

And now, a poem. It shall be a haiku about world domination, because you did not specify.

I once told my plan
For world domination
But now it's secret
"The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it." - Flannery O'Connor
MnM
Raspberry Ripple

I don't know if this will count, but I have no opinion. I haven't heard much about it. I have no idea whether I believe it's true. I pretty much have no idea what it is. So... yah. I just thought I'd put that out there. Hopefully you can use that, but sorry if you can't! Sorry, I wish I could help more. :P
HomeschoolCowgirl
Peach Cobbler

Yeah I think my state (OK) is now the earthquake capital of the world in frequency, and Mom says it's probably due to fracking. Which happens a lot here.
"Musical training is a more potent instrument than any other, for rhythm and harmony find their way into the inner places of the soul... making the soul of one who is rightly educated, graceful" -- Socrates
Hermione
Chocolate Chip

Thanks for your input!

Now for more poems.

For MnM, a limerick about socks:

There once was a girl with a box
That seemed to be chock-full of socks
But when she looked in,
To her great chagrin,
The box was just crowded with rocks!

And for HomeschoolCowgirl, an acrostic about cheese:

Cheese, as G.K. Chesterton says,
Has had few poems written about it.
Egregious oversight, I declare!
Ever attentive to the needs of the world,
Some (such as myself)
Enter submissions to fill the void
NinjaHunter
Raspberry Ripple

God administrates the planet's climate and ecological systems, and we act as stewards of the planet and its flora/fauna. He has not given us the power to destroy or permanently alter either one. If any warming is occurring it is likely not man-made but a natural occurrence that God has complete control over.

Thus, any efforts on our part to "fix" such a problem are fruitless; we are not the cause and we certainly are not the cure.

Most everyone fears ninjas (and global warming) except for one: I, Ninjahunter
Tea Ess
Pineapple Whip

NinjaHunter wrote:He has not given us the power to destroy or permanently alter either one.
I don't understand how you can say this. We have already destroyed and permanently changed both. For example, consider all of the species that have been made extinct due to human activity. And I don't know if we could wipe out all life using nuclear weapons, but we could certainly do massive damage worldwide.
NinjaHunter wrote:If any warming is occurring it is likely not man-made but a natural occurrence that God has complete control over.
This is a disturbing argument, honestly. God may have complete control over everything, but that shouldn't be an excuse to do nothing when we see wrongs in the world.
"Happy Birthday to Hot Leaf Water Ess!" - Belle
NinjaHunter
Raspberry Ripple

T.S. (myself) wrote: I don't understand how you can say this. We have already destroyed and permanently changed both. For example, consider all of the species that have been made extinct due to human activity. And I don't know if we could wipe out all life using nuclear weapons, but we could certainly do massive damage worldwide.
Individual species becoming extinct do not constitute a major change in the planet's overall ecosystem.

Whatever damage we do to the planet with nuclear weapons will eventually heal itself, and while we can make life very uncomfortable for ourselves we cannot permanently destroy the environment or render it unfit for life. We are stewards, not administrators.
T.S. (myself) wrote:This is a disturbing argument, honestly. God may have complete control over everything, but that shouldn't be an excuse to do nothing when we see wrongs in the world.
By all means make every effort to correct any "wrongs" you see in the world (allowing others the freedom to be uncooperative). What you cannot do is "fix" or "save" the planet by limiting human activity. God has a complete set of climate control tools that we do not, and it is arrogance on our part to assume we can "fix" something we have no control over.

Etc., etc.: I, Ninjahunter
SirWhit
Banana Fudge

...Where do you get that we have absolutely no control over the environment. Cities have smog. Is that not a change in the environment of a city made by man?
NinjaHunter
Raspberry Ripple

SirWhit wrote:...Where do you get that we have absolutely no control over the environment. Cities have smog. Is that not a change in the environment of a city made by man?
1. The effect you are referring to is localized. Climate change seems to be considered on a global scale, to which my comments refer.

2. Smog is not permanent. The effects of climate change (rising sea levels, for example) are usually the permanent kind.

3. I said that we cannot make permanent changes and that we cannot "fix" global warming because we are not the cause. I did not say we cannot make changes at all.

Etc., etc.: I, Ninjahunter