Can't Odyssey move on?

Hidden in all this dust lies the hypothesis of many AIO fans. What do you feel is sure to happen, and what should stay buried? Chris says keep listening, we say speculate.
The Old Judge
Mint Chocolate Chip

I have been gone in real life for a while, and coming back to find these last few comments thrills me. For two years I battled with people on here who deemed Andre "inferior" and "lackluster." Though Hal Smith is my favorite incarnation of Whit, I have a deep admiration for Stojka's vocal prowess, an opinion that I was usually alone in. To finally hear other's voice my feelings is great.
Do you think you know music? Guess the hints at the end of each of my posts in A Musical Journey. (The name's a link. You can click it.)
DredgeAmazing
Cookies & Creme

Why is everyone turning on Whit all of a sudden?
LIVE in color, but 1968 color nonetheless
--A very misguided Panasonic viewer
TigerShadow wrote:
I think Disney should focus on making their line more ethnically diverse instead of focusing on more white girls.
I know Martin is smiling down.
Paula
Peach Cobbler

Because it's fun...Why else? JK YOU GUYS ARE SO MEAN TO WHIT >_> Also wasn't that like a month ago that they were discussing that...?
Fast & Jelly are at it again. This time they face the evil fast clickers. Can fast be faster? Is Jelly too slow to turn them into jelly? Find out this week on Fast & Jelly! --> Penguin
"update your signature, Paperclip's term ended ages ago" -Swah
Happy now?
The Old Judge
Mint Chocolate Chip

Firstly, what do you mean by "turning on Whit"? We were discussing Andre Stojka's warmth he brings to the character.

Secondly, yes, they were discussing that about a month ago. But I have been extremely busy for the last month and a half, and only found this topic yesterday.
Do you think you know music? Guess the hints at the end of each of my posts in A Musical Journey. (The name's a link. You can click it.)
aragtaghooligan
Fudge Marble

I still find Andre to be too jolly :P
DredgeAmazing
Cookies & Creme

aragtaghooligan wrote:I still find Andre to be too jolly :P
I liked Paul best, Hal second-best, but Andre tends to be on the static side. I mean, he can't seem to work his voice into definitive emotions with the genuine authority of his predeccessors.
LIVE in color, but 1968 color nonetheless
--A very misguided Panasonic viewer
TigerShadow wrote:
I think Disney should focus on making their line more ethnically diverse instead of focusing on more white girls.
I know Martin is smiling down.
Samantha14
Mint Chocolate Chip

TigerShadow wrote: you can't bring back someone who's dead, after all.
. . .

Poor Blackgaard.

):
Helios
Butter Pecan

We brought him back, remember? :twisted: Sharks!

I think Andre's warmed into his role. He was pretty good in GRC. This didn't stop me from using his name for one of my villains, of course... :twisted:
Mickey
Peach Cobbler

Yes I really think Andre is warming up but he still isn't the Whit! But it's OK..for one character but what about Connie and Eugene? I'm Katie and Will can't live forever! I mean if they always replace characters when they die for us older fans it won't be the same. Though for new fans it'll be fine.

I am worried that if they do that it'll be like the new Veggie Tales!
Proud K.R.E Member
The Old Judge
Mint Chocolate Chip

The trouble is, Vogue, replacement actors are a necessity. That's one of the superiorities of radio over television. Voices can be matched and replaced, whereas a physical, visual manifestation cannot. There are three routes that television has gone in dealing with the loss of characters that Adventures in Odyssey could mimic.

The Bonanza Approach
When Adam Cartwright disappeared from the show over his actor's refusal to portray the part anymore, producers whisked the character off to the open ocean for adventure. This has already been done with Jack and Joanne Allen. To do it again with even more central characters such as Connie and Eugene would carry a negative backlash.

The Andy Griffith Approach
When Floyd the barber was unable to return to Mayberry due to Howard McNear's health, he was replaced by fix-it man Emmett, who promptly moved his business into Floyd's old barber shop. This route was taken when Red Hollard seemingly (butt not officially) replaced Bernard Walton. This option shows potential, but the replacement characters would have to be dynamic enough to fill Connie and Eugene's shoes.

The Little House Approach
This is the fall from Eden. Paradise Lost, if you would. Season 9 of the popular Little House on the Prairie drama was rebranded as Little House: New Beginnings. With the loss of the core family, the Ingalls, and ratings drastically sliding, something had to be done. NBC producers sent completely new characters in, plenty of unexpected action that didn't gel with the rest of the series, and upheaval in the main characters' lives. It failed. That was the show's final season. With the negative response for the initial "Odyssey 2.0" back in 2010, going to this exte to cover the loss of characters such as Connie and Eugene would be the death knell to an already hurting production.

But, however it ends, you should always make sure when you say goodbye, that you leave them in laughter. (1903)
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

The Old Judge wrote: But, however it ends, you should always make sure when you say goodbye, that you leave them in laughter. (1903)
And why is that?
~Lady Friendship Knight of the Order of Chrysostom in the Court of the Debate Vampires~
AKA Countess Concordia of the Chat, Regalia, and the Queen of Sarcasm

I am a personal quirk. --Adrian Dreamwalker
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

It's a song lyric; it has to do with TOJ's music thread. It's unrelated to the topic at hand.
it's not about 'deserve'. it's about what you believe. and i believe in love
aragtaghooligan
Fudge Marble

Or there is the Dr. Who approach :P We could find out Eugene was an alien all along and have him regenerate. Really it would explain more than it would confuse :P I kid, I kid.
Blitz
Moose Tracks

Moving on will always cause backlash that is something they don't want.
Debate Vampire

Everyone (Blitz doesn't count) fears ninjas, except for one: I, Ninjahunter

Can you change me from the monster you made me? Monster: Starset
Emma
Peach Cobbler

I don't really don't think that Eugene would die. I mean, he just married, and is adopting a son!
And Connie, I don't know how old she is supposed to be, but she is probably around twenty. And with all of the hints they've put in the show, (Mitch, Jeff) I think that they are trying to get her married. So she would have to last at least that long.

Who could possibly replace Whit????! A new character would take too long to develop, every other old character doesn't have that personality, so in my opinion, replacement is out of the question.

In my opinion, killing off the base, stationary, characters of Odyssey could be catastrophic. The Golden Age of Odyssey is over. Some people only watch the show just because they love a certain character. Getting rid of that character could have bad results.
Mickey
Peach Cobbler

So it's been awhile but I'e been thinking.
There are several ways to nicely say good bye to Connie and Eugene.

Connie:
1. If she Marries Jeff then she would be gone a lot on his mission trips. They could even move to some foreign country.

Eugene:
1. He and Katrina [ and Buck] would move to another state for a a really good job offer.
3. He could go to the middle east like Whit!

Both would be replaced with younger ones. Maybe Jenni could replace Connie. And some like Monty [ more or less ] could replace Eugene.

But like they did with Whit they did find a match sooo....
Proud K.R.E Member
Novatom
Raspberry Ripple

Mickey wrote:Both would be replaced with younger ones. Maybe Jenni could replace Connie. And some like Monty [ more or less ] could replace Eugene.
I think Jenny could replace Eugene and Monty could replace Connie. Or Monty could replace Jason and Jules could replace Connie.
17:39<Novatom>: I'm in another boat. A boat of people who don't know what everyone's talking about. A boat that is sinking.
17:40<Sameriazx>: oh no... here we go again...
Shadow
Peach Cobbler

Novatom wrote:
I think Jenny could replace Eugene and Monty could replace Connie. Or Monty could replace Jason and Jules could replace Connie.
Novatom, in your first assumption you are correct. In Album 7 Monty and Connie and Jenny and Eugene are very similar. The Monty/Connie similarity is shown clearly in "Monty's Christmas". Jenny/Eugene similarities are just obvious.
I'm Monty Whittaker's greatest fan. member of the K.R.E
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Debbigail4life
Vanilla

Whit should die. I mean, it's not like he'll be around when Buck and Jules have kids. I think Jason should take his place, possibly get married to Connie, and still have loving memories of Whit from every now and then. It's like what happened with Tom. He couldn't stay in Odyssey forever. But we still love and remember him. I think there should be a full album where something happens, Whit dies, and they should spend the rest of the album grieving and recalling the best memories of Whit and ending it off on a high note. What do you guys think?
Dewey and Webby Forever

Loubby Shippers: It's never gonna happen.

djchatswithu
Cookies & Creme

Debbigail4life wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:09 pm
Whit should die. I mean, it's not like he'll be around when Buck and Jules have kids. I think Jason should take his place, possibly get married to Connie, and still have loving memories of Whit from every now and then. It's like what happened with Tom. He couldn't stay in Odyssey forever. But we still love and remember him. I think there should be a full album where something happens, Whit dies, and they should spend the rest of the album grieving and recalling the best memories of Whit and ending it off on a high note. What do you guys think?
The show was going to end with Whit dying in 'the mortal coil (as a single episode), then they decided to use it and added part 2. one of the last scenes would have been Tom having a heart-to-heart whit before he passed away.
Eugene was going to leave in 'A New Era', but then Will was able to continue and so they changed it to only Leonard and Everett leaving. however this idea could still work, Leonard dies, and Eugene (and Katrina) take his place. Eugene could also get another job or be made a full professor, and leave to teach in a university.
Katie has never really had, or wanted, to leave as far as I know, and she's a bit younger than Will, so she'll probably be there 'til the end.
"you know Odyssey, everything changes, except me, as usual".