Album 59: Taking the Plunge Discussion

Grab your AIO albums, and find a table! What makes your favorite episode the best? Have an episode you really dislike? This is the place to review and discuss AIO episodes and albums.
Mickey
Peach Cobbler

Mr. Whit's End wrote:
TigerShadow wrote:
As much as I want all of my favorite characters to always do the right thing and never make mistakes ever (hey, what can I say? I want the best for my babies), this might be a good direction in which to take Buck's character. People don't always make all the right decisions even after they've decided to make a turnaround, and Buck having a relapse into his criminal behavior is a good way to demonstrate that he still has a way to go in terms of his character development. Additionally, from the context I've been getting, it seems like he does what he does in order to stop Vance from picking on him, which means that he's probably not thinking straight and this isn't a result of a calculated move on his part to become a criminal mastermind or something.
Dion's picking on Buck is kind of half-hearted...and they end up half-hanging-out throughout the episode. So it seems more like Buck is trying to get an in with Vance's gang.
I think not! Buck [to me at least] doesn't seem to be going in that direction.
Belle wrote:
TigerShadow wrote:Don't go there. >=(
For that matter, how about "Let's Get Together"? (Let's Get Together, yeah yeah yeah, why don't you and I combine?)
Oh! Ya never thought of that!
Proud K.R.E Member
aragtaghooligan
Fudge Marble

I would understand if Buck did shady stuff to make friends or protect himself or some other thing although even then I would like Eugene and Katrina to catch on and stop him, and convince him not to give in but Dion was in no rush to hurt him and Vance isn't around so why suddenly start planning something? I'm hoping this isn't what it seems. I want to be able to trust Buck. Not for him to be perfect but at least to have good intentions.
SirWhit
Banana Fudge

I'm thinking this might be a "know your enemy" type move by Buck...maybe to take them down from the inside?
GabrielleFandomGirl
Fudge Marble

One thing I worry tremendously about is AIO discontinuing and not putting out episodes anymore at some point
"What-ever."- Pound Foolish

E.R.K.

"Why are you cutting a table with a chainsaw...?"
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

We're all hoping it isn't in our lifetime.
~Lady Friendship Knight of the Order of Chrysostom in the Court of the Debate Vampires~
AKA Countess Concordia of the Chat, Regalia, and the Queen of Sarcasm

I am a personal quirk. --Adrian Dreamwalker
GabrielleFandomGirl
Fudge Marble

What's funny is that it is legitimate
"What-ever."- Pound Foolish

E.R.K.

"Why are you cutting a table with a chainsaw...?"
Doll
Rainbow Sherbet

I just finished listening to Dinner Role Models.
Wut.

Just what...

I just finished listening to Dinner Role Models, and I'm in shock...It seems like every main AIO character has dealt with this problem of being incompatible in faith, Jack, Connie, Eugene, Katrina, Jason..

Yeeshkabob.

I'm glad we're finally getting to actually know what Penny and Wooton believe, but in this episode, we aren't..we just know that Penny doesn't think she believes the same as Wooton, but about what? We dunno..in what? We dunno...

Seriously? Why make a monumental reveal like that without explaining..especially since it's already been done lots of times with other AIO couples. >_>
ETA:
Another thing I don't get, is how this didn't come up in discussion between Wooton and Penny before, with how vocal Wooton is about his faith..

When he met Victoria, they discussed it pretty early on..

So you would think that after the one experience with Victoria, he would be extra careful and discuss it in his next relationship?

That is so unlike Wooton..
~Queen Belle of Altanovia, Knight of Montreal & Order of Aristotle, Benevolent Dictator, Catspaw of the SS, & Dan's couch troll~
~"I’ve always found you to be a good person to disagree with." - Eleventh Doctor~
aragtaghooligan
Fudge Marble

Oh maaaaaaaaaaaan I agree with Belle so much!
ALSO
Why are they just now telling us about Penny without giving any hints before? I mean yeah, in The Green Ring Conspiracy she clearly believed some interesting things and ever since she met Connie she's had interesting questions but it seemed like she was on the right path so this whole thing came out of no where and seems a little repetitive considering the history which Whit admitted to in the episode by telling Wooton to talk to Connie or Eugene and as I believe I have said before why can't anyone in Odyssey fall in love without a big hoopla?
SirWhit
Banana Fudge

I agree with you two, basically.
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

OBJECTION!

PF will now explain why he, as PF, disagrees.

When Wooton met Victoria, it came up because Victoria wasn't Christian at all. It's only natural it would be different with someone who's Christian. Wooton is solidly Christian but also understanding and easygoing. So long as Penny is Christian and firmly believes in Jesus and other key things, he would accept her rather than insist on finding another woman whose spiritual preferences are exactly like his. Heck, like you said, we don't even know what the differences are yet. It's unlikely (read definite) they disagree about abortion or spending time with God every day or the validity of the entire Bible or milk chocolate vs. dark or anything like that. We get the distinct impression it has more to do with how open and public they are about faith. Wooton brings it up, Penny not as much.

Also, this hasn't been done. The problem was always one party was Christian, one wasn't. Very black and white. (It went a hair further with Katrina and Eugene but barely.) This is far more complex much like the reworking of The Imagination Station (Revisited.)
Last edited by Pound Foolish on Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

Pound Foolish wrote:OBJECTION!

PF will now explain why he, as PF, disagrees.

When Wooton met Victoria, it came up because Victoria wasn't Christian at all. It's only natural it would be different with someone who's Christian. Wooton is solidly Christian but also understanding and easygoing. So long as Penny is Christian and firmly believes in Jesus and other key things, he would accept her rather than insist on finding another woman whose spiritual preferences are exactly like his. Heck, like you said, we don't even know what the differences are yet. It's unlikely (read definite) they disagree about abortion or spending time with God every day or the validity of the entire Bible or mile chocolate or dark anything like that. We get the distinct impression it has more to do with how open and public they are about faith. Wooton brings it up, Penny not as much.

Also, this hasn't been done. The problem was always one party was Christian, one wasn't. Very black and white. (It went a hair further with Katrina and Eugene but barely.) This is far more complex much like the reworking of The Imagination Station (Revisited.)
These are very good points. Even Christians are not always in lock-step, and it's good that they're showing how to handle Christians with differences in theology rather than just the "don't be unequally yoked" message that I think we hear quite enough of when it comes to Christians and dating—it's a good message, but non-Christians aren't the only ones who will disagree with you on matters of faith.
it's not about 'deserve'. it's about what you believe. and i believe in love
SirWhit
Banana Fudge

Waiiiitttttt....
Did they just write Jay out of the show by saying he went to Hollywood?
Woody
Cookies & Creme

I think so... and if they did, I may actually quit Odyssey. Jay's my second favorite current character behind Matthew, who has already been ruined by his new voice...

"You'll never be far, I'm keeping you near, inside of my heart, you're here." ~Owl City, Gold
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

My brother "Jay" will be going into a panic. Honestly, they got rid of him? He added LIFE to the show!
~Lady Friendship Knight of the Order of Chrysostom in the Court of the Debate Vampires~
AKA Countess Concordia of the Chat, Regalia, and the Queen of Sarcasm

I am a personal quirk. --Adrian Dreamwalker
SirWhit
Banana Fudge

Woody wrote:
I think so... and if they did, I may actually quit Odyssey. Jay's my second favorite current character behind Matthew, who has already been ruined by his new voice...
awwww heckkkk nawwwwwwwww :x
aragtaghooligan
Fudge Marble

Ok, that makes sense if it really were a case of difference in theology but is how open you are about praying and stuff a theology thing? I mean maybe when it comes to witnessing/ evangelizing but just not wanting to pray out loud is not a big enough deal to not get married about. I'm hoping tomorrow's episode sheds some light on all this.
-- Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:49 pm --

I'm SO relieved with Out of The Woods!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thoughts?
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

It didn't sound terribly permanent. Jay's gone to Hollywood for a while. Well, why not? What could he have to do with Penny and Wooton's wedding? Probably has something to do with the availability of Whit Hertford. Still, sadly, it sounds as if we shan't hear from aio's most popular new kid character for a while. Still, that's no reason to leave, Woody! Everyone loves the comedy relief but you don't listen to aio just laugh do you?
As to episode five, lovely. Just lovely. If I wasn't touched by Wooton and Penny's relationship before, I would be now. On another note, I understood why aio didn't get specific about what kind of church Whit and co. went to, but now that they have it's nice to get some clarity. Also, Narnia music!
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
SirWhit
Banana Fudge

Uhhhhh I for one didn't like Jay for the comedy, I liked him for the fact that he wasn't either a Good Christian Kid or Bad Secular Bully. Somewhere in the middle of those two. Also, Narnia music?
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

So people claim, Evil Twin. So people claim. It's all about complexity and being different from previous characters, it has nothing to do with being the funniest character. Nothing at all. If Jay weren't freaking hilarious, people wouldn't like him nearly as much. Sorry. Also, the music where they enter the more formal type church is super similar to parts of Jon Campbell's score for some Narnia FotF radio dramas. Eee!
SirWhit
Banana Fudge

So you know people better than they know themselves when they say they like Jay because of his complexity? That's a bit arrogant, don't you think? And yes if Jay wasn't as funny maybe we wouldn't like him as much but the simple matter of fact is that Jay's depth is a huge factor in why we like him. Your generalization that the only reason we like Jay is because he is funny and that we are deluding ourselves if we say otherwise is as a whole inaccurate.
-- Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:50 pm --
but either way I don't really feel like debating why I think Jay is a good character, so kindly let me have my opinion without telling me why really I like Jay. Thank you.
/passiveagressivetalking end