Earliest Memories

If it doesn't pertain to Adventures in Odyssey, you've stepped into the right place! Grab a chair, and talk about your favorite books, TV shows, join a debate, or just be random!
ArnoldtheRubberDucky
Butter Pecan

Earliest Memories

I just realized today that my earliest vivid(ish) memory is watching The Incredibles with my family when it first came out in theaters... ten years ago. I remember going on the Disney website and watching clips of the movie before I watched it, and my mother being worried about taking baby Novatom into the movie since she might bawl in the middle of it. So... what's your earliest vivid(ish) memory. Please post a description of what the memory was like and the year in which it (probably) occurred.
Sir Arnold, Knight of the Order of Augustine, Debate Vampire
Mr. Yorp wrote:You don't need a degree to shovel manure.
Ameraka
Fudge Marble

Good topic! What a cool first memory.

I'm not sure which comes first, but my first memories are impressions...I remember living at "Murphy's" -they lived downstairs, we lived upstairs-- when I was 2. Mom used to take me out and teach me letters in the sand, and we'd pick wild strawberries. I also remember the power lines in the back field, how I thought they looked like giants. And watching Mary Poppins with another little girl, and being kind of scared of it, not understanding it, especially the chimney sweep part.

But come to think of it, my first memory might be my 2nd birthday. It was my golden birthday, so it was big. I remember a big room (I think we rented some place for it...), relatives everywhere, and especially my cake which was a carousel. Apparently I thought it was pretty magical because I remembered it (unlike some later birthdays). :)

My book, Justice Lost, is on Amazon Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JM1XFCI
Novatom
Raspberry Ripple

My earliest memory is being at a science center. I was two. There was a truck and an assembly line for some fake fruit. That's all I remember.
17:39<Novatom>: I'm in another boat. A boat of people who don't know what everyone's talking about. A boat that is sinking.
17:40<Sameriazx>: oh no... here we go again...
Ashley
Raspberry Ripple

My earliest memory is seeing my now 14-year-old friend in the hospital when he was born, and getting there just ahead of his older brother, who is 15. He would have been 1 and I would have been 3.
Bethany Shepard
Moose Tracks

One of my earliest memories is when I was 3 or 4 and I wanted a pink, stuffed, valentine toy dog. We didn't have money so we couldn't get it.

When valentines day rolled around I had forgotten about it, until my dad said he loved me and handed me that fluffy, pink dog. I still sleep with that toy to this day. ;)

That was also the only time I remember my dad normal, before the dementia started messing with his brain.
"I am not a demon. I am a lizard, a shark, a heat-seeking panther.
I want to be Bob Denver on acid playing the accordion."
-Nicolas Cage
Blitz
Moose Tracks

My earliest memory is my youngest cousins who is three years younger coming to her house for the first time.
Debate Vampire

Everyone (Blitz doesn't count) fears ninjas, except for one: I, Ninjahunter

Can you change me from the monster you made me? Monster: Starset
FlyingRider
Strawberry

My earliest memory ( that i can think of right now) was walking up the wooden stairs to our attic behind my mom when i was about 2.
The cold never bothered me anyway!!!!! ( just kidding i hate snow)
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

My earliest memory is reading the Calvin and Hobbes collection "Scientific Progress Goes Boink" on our stair landing when I was about two or three, and I know I was reading instead of just looking at the pictures because I distinctly recall reading about how Calvin dreamed that his parents were aliens who intended to bake him into a waffle, and I got so terrified of it that I was thinking the lines "Got the batter ready?" "Yeah! Let's dunk the kid!" as I was going to sleep that night and I was scared witless. :( When I was about eight, I ended up drawing a comic about Calvin and Hobbes defeating the alien parents and escaping on their wagon, which I guess gave me some closure or something.
it's not about 'deserve'. it's about what you believe. and i believe in love
Tea Ess
Pineapple Whip

Wow, Tiger. You were an early reader.

My first memories vary in how vivid they are. I am inclined to believe that some of them have been altered or at least enhanced based on the perceptions I formed later about my younger self, but I'm not able to verify that. They start before my family moved, meaning I was about three or so, possibly younger. Our house had a loop around the staircase, through the kitchen, and I had a little pushable cart that I would fill with legos (the large kind) and push while running as fast as I could. The legos would spill out, but I would only notice once I came back around the loop, and I would periodically stop to refill the cart. My second memory is much more vague, and it is of the kitchen tile. They were large tiles that were colored somewhat naturally, and were blurred with several different dark colors. Thirdly, I remember putting a plastic grocery bag over my head and then running into a wall and crying. My dad then discovered me and took it away. :( My memories of my childhood from 5ish to 8 are more vivid. I can recall more specific memories, and doing a lot of different fun things with my younger sister.
"Happy Birthday to Hot Leaf Water Ess!" - Belle
Mickey
Peach Cobbler

My earliest memory I can think of right now would be going with my family and dads family to South Dakota [ or was it north ] We saw bison went to that park with the president heads! We went down a big cement slide. Then we went to a Bar D Wrangler concert it was great. We stayed in a huge house it fun! I was 5 or 6!
Proud K.R.E Member
ArnoldtheRubberDucky
Butter Pecan

Whoah, TigerShadow. Reading when you were 2? O.o How the...

It's not one of my first memories but I also vividly remember finishing my first chapter book (the first Boxcar Children) when I was in kindergarten. I actually remember reading Calvin and Hobbes even before that, though.

I also remember us renovating our house in Florida... only to have the lead renovator steal several thousand dollars from us that we never got back. :(. I was probably about 5 then, and I didn't totally understand what was going on.
Sir Arnold, Knight of the Order of Augustine, Debate Vampire
Mr. Yorp wrote:You don't need a degree to shovel manure.
SirWhit
Banana Fudge

My first memory is hearing the microwave go off when I was about 4. The microwave beeped and my mom asked what it was. My aunt who was visiting at the time said it was the microwave.
Mickey
Peach Cobbler

Another memory was when I was between 2 and 6. Our milk man had 4 kids two close to my age. He would come and bring his kids. I faintly remember playing with them. And I go to school with them now! I also remember riding with Dad when he drove the purple milk truck. We went to the cheese house and I got candy and was proud to bring it home to the rest of my family! I also remember playing in the bed in the back of the semi!
Proud K.R.E Member
Bethany Shepard
Moose Tracks

I saw this on Pinterest a while back and thought it would be appropriate.
"I am not a demon. I am a lizard, a shark, a heat-seeking panther.
I want to be Bob Denver on acid playing the accordion."
-Nicolas Cage
Ashley
Raspberry Ripple

Micky wrote:Another memory was when I was between 2 and 6. Our milk man had 4 kids two close to my age. He would come and bring his kids. I faintly remember playing with them. And I go to school with them now! I also remember riding with Dad when he drove the purple milk truck. We went to the cheese house and I got candy and was proud to bring it home to the rest of my family! I also remember playing in the bed in the back of the semi!
...you have a milk man?
Novatom
Raspberry Ripple

Bethany Shepard wrote:I saw this on Pinterest a while back and thought it would be appropriate.
Yes! I always wonder if I dreamed my "first memory" or if it actually happened. Actually, a lot of my most distinct memories from preschool were of dreams.
17:39<Novatom>: I'm in another boat. A boat of people who don't know what everyone's talking about. A boat that is sinking.
17:40<Sameriazx>: oh no... here we go again...
Ameraka
Fudge Marble

Well one of mom's earliest memories was floating in the middle of the water, no boat or land near. And a parrot in a restaurant. For years she wasn't sure if she dreamed them or not. Then grandma said that they were at some lake in Louisiana and the boat died or something and they stayed floating in the lake in life jackets. And the parrot was real too.

Mom's told me lots of her early memories. Like when she was 3 and her dad got some pussy willow branches by the side of the road. Mom held them in the back seat, and started picking the little pussy willows off one by one. Her dad looked in the back seat, and yelled at her. Mom cried and said, "I'm just a baby!" Grandpa said, "You're not the baby anymore, Lorraine's the baby."

I've heard somewhere that the first things you remember, you remember for a reason, and they shape who you are.

My book, Justice Lost, is on Amazon Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JM1XFCI
Mickey
Peach Cobbler

ClaraOswald wrote:
Micky wrote:Another memory was when I was between 2 and 6. Our milk man had 4 kids two close to my age. He would come and bring his kids. I faintly remember playing with them. And I go to school with them now! I also remember riding with Dad when he drove the purple milk truck. We went to the cheese house and I got candy and was proud to bring it home to the rest of my family! I also remember playing in the bed in the back of the semi!
...you have a milk man?
We live on a farm. He picks up our milk. Should have made that clear. He drives a large semi.

Another memory is one I think I dreamed but I'm not sure. It was falling down the steps. But I don't know if that was real?!
Proud K.R.E Member
Ashley
Raspberry Ripple

Micky wrote:
ClaraOswald wrote:
...you have a milk man?
We live on a farm. He picks up our milk. Should have made that clear. He drives a large semi.
Ah ok that makes a ton more sense.