My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

If it doesn't pertain to Adventures in Odyssey, you've stepped into the right place! Grab a chair, and talk about your favorite books, TV shows, join a debate, or just be random!

Do you watch?

YES! It's the best show EVER!
19%
I enjoy it, along with many other "kids shows".
24%
Meh, it's ok I guess. I don't hate people who do watch it at least.
21%
The show is dumb. Why would you watch that?
23%
WORST SHOW EVER. DEATH TO ALL BRONIES!
13%

Total votes: 62

John Henry
Peach Cobbler

Do boys like MLP? o_O
Doll
Rainbow Sherbet

John Henry wrote:Do boys like MLP? o_O
....yes.....they're called Bronys.. (Or Bronies?) I don't remember which is the plural.

A large viewing audience of MLP:FIM are males, ages 18-30.
~Queen Belle of Altanovia, Knight of Montreal & Order of Aristotle, Benevolent Dictator, Catspaw of the SS, & Dan's couch troll~
~"I’ve always found you to be a good person to disagree with." - Eleventh Doctor~
Rosy
Cookie Dough

Bronys. Or Bronies. Both are correct plural forms of the singular word brony.
^If you got that reference, you are awesome.^
You're very smug right now, aren't you?
A little bit, yeah.

But yes, bronies exist. Just because the show seems girly, doesn't mean guys can't like it too.
꿈. 희망. 전진.
John Henry
Peach Cobbler

Since WretchedSinner loves Batman I thought... :twisted:
Rosy
Cookie Dough

I like Batman too...please stop posting things relating to Batman eating Pinkie Pie. The joke has far outlived it's humor.
꿈. 희망. 전진.
John Henry
Peach Cobbler

Sorry. I'll stop it.

I watched about 5 minutes of Season 1, Episode 7 of MLP: Friendship is Magic. It was OK.
Rosy
Cookie Dough

Thanks. =)

Oh, I like Dragonshy. (That's the episode you watched). I really relate to Fluttershy in a lot of ways. A lot.
꿈. 희망. 전진.
John Henry
Peach Cobbler

That pony was kinda interesting - the one bouncing a ball.
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

That's Rainbow Dash. I like her well enough, I guess, but she's not as cool as Twilight (whose leadership skills I think really shine in "Dragonshy"). \:D/
it's not about 'deserve'. it's about what you believe. and i believe in love
Arkán Dreamwalker
Pistachio

Ladies, gentlemen, and scalawags of the Board, Jess Harnell (#voiceofWooton) sings the bronies national Anthem.
http://www.vocaltwit.com/3724
~ Walker in Dreams
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

I posted that before myself, and no one responded to it then either. But why!? Jess Harnell, the voice of Wooton himself, wrote a Brony song and posted it on his Twitter page! How can people not care about that!? :P
http://www.vocaltwit.com/3724
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

underseasie wrote:Bronys. Or Bronies. Both are correct plural forms of the singular word brony.
Was that a Kim Possible reference? \:D/ I seem to recall a conversation between Drakken and Shego concerning "fish" and "fishes".
John Henry
Peach Cobbler

Why are MLP-loving guys called "bronies"? I originally assumed that the word "brony" had something to do with brownies.
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

It's a portmanteau of the words "bro" and "pony".
Doll
Rainbow Sherbet

TigerShadow wrote:
underseasie wrote:Bronys. Or Bronies. Both are correct plural forms of the singular word brony.
Was that a Kim Possible reference? \:D/ I seem to recall a conversation between Drakken and Shego concerning "fish" and "fishes".
~Queen Belle of Altanovia, Knight of Montreal & Order of Aristotle, Benevolent Dictator, Catspaw of the SS, & Dan's couch troll~
~"I’ve always found you to be a good person to disagree with." - Eleventh Doctor~
ArnoldtheRubberDucky
Butter Pecan

Everyday I wake up and think to myself: "What exactly is it about this show that appeals to so many grown men?"
Sir Arnold, Knight of the Order of Augustine, Debate Vampire
Mr. Yorp wrote:You don't need a degree to shovel manure.
Rosy
Cookie Dough

ArnoldtheRubberDucky wrote:Everyday I wake up and think to myself: "What exactly is it about this show that appeals to so many grown men?"
Sometimes I sit back and wonder, "Why exactly do people spend so much time and thought on the fact that some people enjoy a show about ponies, instead of moving on with their lives and being okay with the idea?"
;)
꿈. 희망. 전진.
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

I could go on a rant, but I have limited time. :( While I can't explain the adult male perspective, being neither a full adult nor a male, I will repost what I've written on why I personally like the show so much.
Tiger's Long and Ranty Post wrote:There shouldn't have to be such things as "girls' shows" and "boys' shows". Men should be allowed to like traditionally "feminine" things without being labeled as effeminate or gay—there are plenty of straight, masculine men in theatre (many of whom are more attractive for it). I think a guy who likes MLP and isn't ashamed of it and yet can keep his head screwed on straight about it is pretty cool.

What I also like about the show is that it doesn't continue to perpetuate the idea that there's only one way to be a girl—to be composed, stoic, and wiser than your male counterparts. I've never seen an intelligent female character who isn't lauded, either in-universe or out-of-universe, as the best thing EVER who is a total go-getter and is president of everything and everyone likes her. Look at Twilight Sparkle—she's one of the most intelligent characters on the show and she's very blunt and take-charge, but she's also anti-social, dorky, and prone to stressing out over minor things. That is me, to the freaking letter. I can identify with Twilight Sparkle so easily—and she is still a girl, a strong female character who doesn't have to be conventionally tough to be tough anyway.

Faust and the current showrunners have used these characters as an excellent way to show that there's more than one way to be a girl, and that we can still be dorky or awkward or weird or anti-social without being labeled as freaky loners. Rainbow Dash, who likes both sports and the occasional dress-up, tells athletic girls that it's okay to be a tomboy with a girly streak. Rarity, with her love of fashion and art, demonstrates to girls that creativity expressed through love of clothes and attention to looks doesn't have to be vain or shallow. Applejack tells girls that hard work and fair play are valuable traits, and that even if it's just a "little white lie", that doesn't make it okay to tell. Fluttershy shows girls that even though it shouldn't cripple you, there's nothing wrong with not being outgoing and brash, and that kindness and compassion can be great weapons as much as great tools. Pinkie Pie asserts to girls that there's nothing wrong with having fun and loving life, and that you can make people smile through means of true cheerfulness rather than bullying a social pariah.

The thing about MLP is that it's just a straight-up fun show. It's not happy all the time, but the moments of grit or sadness and the epic battle scenes feel real, not tacked-on for shock value. Does the show falter? Yes, absolutely; it's not perfect. But it's always going to be one of my favorites, because even in a world of candy-colored equines, it feels so real. It even feels like Adventures in Odyssey sometimes—I can listen to it and know I'm dealing with real people facing real difficulties that don't have to involve Michael Bay-worthy explosions to be entertaining.
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

*eats John Henry*

Tiger, I agree with your post entirely.

Who's the cutest...

Flufflepuff

Derpy

the breezies

Sweetie Bell

the parasprites

Snow Drop
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
John Henry
Peach Cobbler

Metal hates MLP, while PF loves MLP...interesting...ERK is also MLPRK while KRE is also KRPLM or MLPSK?