Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

If it doesn't pertain to Adventures in Odyssey, you've stepped into the right place! Grab a chair, and talk about your favorite books, TV shows, join a debate, or just be random!
connie13
Chocolate Chip

Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

What do you think of Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug ? I actually love it! It is a amazing movie! I can tell it took a lot of time to make! I want to make movies so that was a amazing thing to see! I can't wait for the 3rd one! How about the Lord of the Rings all 3 and number 1 of the Hobbit?
What did you think?
Blitz
Moose Tracks

I loved the Desolation of Smaug. I actually like the Hobbit movies better than the books.
Debate Vampire

Everyone (Blitz doesn't count) fears ninjas, except for one: I, Ninjahunter

Can you change me from the monster you made me? Monster: Starset
Ashley
Raspberry Ripple

I LOVED IT. OH MY GOSH. KILI. *swoons*

I did enjoy the LOTR movies, but I'm not into them as much as Star Wars or Doctor Who. Guess I love Sci-Fi better.

And I'M SO EXCITED FOR THE BATTLE OF FIVE ARMIES. Except that a friend spoiled the ending (he's read the book and I haven't), so I'll probably be crying from the beginning to the end.
Wretched Sinner
Lemon Meringue

First of all, let my make it clear that I absolutely love the Lord of the Rings Trilogy (especially the Director's cut. It's got to be my favourite trilogy of all time.

Secondly, the Hobbit trilogy (so far) is also great.

But.....in comparison to the Lord of the Rings trilogy, the Hobbit is awful.

Now, before you start freaking out, I'm not saying I hate the Hobbit. It's a great movie trilogy so far and I love it. I'm just saying that compared to TLOTR, it's kinda meh.

I liked the LOTR movies much better than the books, but I like the Hobbit book much better than the movie.
Ameraka
Fudge Marble

I like the Hobbit movies. A lot. But it's true, Wretched Sinner, they don't compare to LOTR. I think they were trying to make the Hobbit epic, when the book's quite different in tone than LOTR.

Ashley: I also tend to prefer sci-fi. But LOTR basically introduced me to fantasy--and it's still one of my favorite books. I am more picky about my fantasy than my sci-fi, however. If it's got sci-fi in it, I generally like it. If it's fantasy...it has to be the right kind.

My book, Justice Lost, is on Amazon Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JM1XFCI
Blitz
Moose Tracks

They will probably change the ending....
Or Kili *sniff* will die.
Debate Vampire

gabbygirl17
Mint Chocolate Chip

I LOVED it! :D Can't wait for the next one!!
"Your words were found, and I ate them, and your words became to me a joy and the delight of my heart, for I am called by your name, O Lord, God of hosts." - Jeremiah 15:16
Ashley
Raspberry Ripple

I have a friend who doesn't LIKE IT. LIKE SERIOUSLY.

He says that it's too unlike the book and a bit boring. He gave me a bunch of reasons why he hated it, and I agreed with 10 of them :P But that doesn't mean it's not an awesome movie!

I'm going to have to read the book before the 3rd comes out in the theatres. So if he comes with me to see it we can complain together :P
connie13
Chocolate Chip

I like it too!!! It's the best movies ever made! Or ever will be made!
Metal15
Peanut Butter Cup

I agree with Noah, compared to the Lord of the Rings the Hobbit is trash. But on their own I still enjoy them.
I'm the leader of the KRE, the group dedicated to countering ERK the Emily-centered cult. Join either team, you'll have a blast.

My Youtube channel --> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa8Nt7 ... ILthNNlUww

Feminism is cray.

FREEDOM!!!

Music FB page: https://www.facebook.com/louismusicdefinitelyofficial/
Tea Ess
Pineapple Whip

I'm going to annoy everyone and be a strict book purist. ;) The first Hobbit movie was good on its own, with some definite positives. The second movie irked me more, but it was still passable. I haven't read much about the quality of the actual movies, but they seem pretty good or decent, at least, as movies. It would be extremely difficult for them to pass The Lord of the Rings, however. If you ever have an abundance of free time, read about the use of leitmotifs in The Lord of the Rings; it's amazing.

If anyone's interested, I could get into my opinions on the movies, comparing them to the books, but for now I'll just mention a couple of things. The Arkenstone being able to "reunite" the seven, separate, independent dwarvish nations is idiotic. Where did that come from? The dwarves fought on different sides during the Last Alliance. Sure, they might interact, but the Arkenstone concept really annoyed me. Also, in the second movie, I felt like I was watching the dwarves almost die a hundred times, and then the amazing, perfect elves come with their amazing, perfect battling skills, and wipe out the enemy without even trying. Why is this necessary? Leave the elves in Mirkwood!! :x

I will say that the scene where Bilbo climbs the tree in Mirkwood was perfect. This was one of my favorite descriptions in the entire book, and it was expressed flawlessly in the movie. It was a fairly small thing, but it made me extremely happy.

Regarding The Lord of the Rings movies: I thought they were excellent. The time and resources put into the movies is astounding, and the level of detail continues to blow me away. There are still flaws in the movies, and of course I would have liked to see more of the books used, but the positives far outnumber my complaints.
"Happy Birthday to Hot Leaf Water Ess!" - Belle
John Henry
Peach Cobbler

I don't know what this is about, but I might have to ask Smaug the Dragon from the ToO to join the SS, and see this thread...or give him or her a link. :twisted:
Bethany Shepard
Moose Tracks

I personally love them. :) I try not to compare them to LOTR. I know I'll set myself up to hate them. I take them for what they are. Sure, their gonna change the story. The change LOTR from the books and we still love them.

(Also, shoot me if you must, but I like Fili more then Kili. I don't dislike Kili, he's just not all that. :mrgreen:)
"I am not a demon. I am a lizard, a shark, a heat-seeking panther.
I want to be Bob Denver on acid playing the accordion."
-Nicolas Cage
FlyingRider
Strawberry

I love The Hobbit the Desolation of Smaug! I especially like all the debate about whose the best archer. In my opinion its the girl ( i forgot her name sadly) Legolas was good though...
The cold never bothered me anyway!!!!! ( just kidding i hate snow)
Blitz
Moose Tracks

Tauriel is her name. Naw, Legolas is better. Tauriel is a bit more easy to distract.
Debate Vampire

Wakko
Pistachio

Blitz wrote:Tauriel is her name. Naw, Legolas is better. Tauriel is a bit more easy to distract.
But neither of them were actually in the book. :(
Bethany Shepard
Moose Tracks

But, they had to add a female in there somewhere. Don't want to be sexist, do we?
"I am not a demon. I am a lizard, a shark, a heat-seeking panther.
I want to be Bob Denver on acid playing the accordion."
-Nicolas Cage
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

Yeah, from what I understand, Tauriel was mostly there to look pretty and awesome and attract the female demographic that apparently can't be drawn without an Eowyn Expy. =/
it's not about 'deserve'. it's about what you believe. and i believe in love
Blitz
Moose Tracks

And according to females. *coughs* A movie is no good without romance.
Debate Vampire

Doll
Rainbow Sherbet

Blitz wrote:And according to females. *coughs* A movie is no good without romance.
*nearly smacks*

Say what? What "females"? That'd be like saying a movie is no good to a male without lots of shooting and killing... Stereotype much? :P While it may be true from some, it isn't true for all.
~Queen Belle of Altanovia, Knight of Montreal & Order of Aristotle, Benevolent Dictator, Catspaw of the SS, & Dan's couch troll~
~"I’ve always found you to be a good person to disagree with." - Eleventh Doctor~