The Bookshelf

If it doesn't pertain to Adventures in Odyssey, you've stepped into the right place! Grab a chair, and talk about your favorite books, TV shows, join a debate, or just be random!
Bethany Shepard
Moose Tracks

I'm reading The Candlestone by Bryan Davis. I'm a little stuck on it… it's a little slow. :P
"I am not a demon. I am a lizard, a shark, a heat-seeking panther.
I want to be Bob Denver on acid playing the accordion."
-Nicolas Cage
Audrey
Cookies & Creme

So, if you follow any publishers or anything, you've probably noticed that A. ALL BOOKS COME OUT ON TUESDAYS. and B. ABOUT A THOUSAND BOOKS COME OUT ON THE SAME TUESDAY. So yeah, this most recent Tuesday about ten books came out that I want to read. So far, I own three of them. I've read one, and the one I'm working on now is called The Infinite Sea by Rick Yancy. It's the sequel to The Fifth Wave. And so far, I like it. :D
An owl and a squirrel are sitting in a tree, watching a farmer go by. The owl turns to the squirrel and says nothing, because owls can't talk. The owl then eats the squirrel because it is a bird of prey.
Tea Ess
Pineapple Whip

CreativeThinker101 wrote:Ha ha, me too. It just makes me so glad our government isn't really like that... or is it? O.o

As for Old Man and the Sea, it may not have been the most interesting book in the world, but the ending was a bit of a twist and oddly satisfying, at least for me.
Haha. It was a really powerful book. Our government is quite a while away from that, thankfully.

Maybe I should read it again. The language was descriptive, but the story didn't interest me.
"Happy Birthday to Hot Leaf Water Ess!" - Belle
Joy
Raspberry Ripple

I recently read The Help by Kathryn Stockett. It was fairly meaningful, and a lot better than the movie. I really enjoyed it.

I also just finished the first book in the Artemis Fowl series, and it was decent, I'm excited to read the rest of the series.
Mickey
Peach Cobbler

Oh I'm ready tons of books right now! My favs
A Jar of Dreams
Trixie Beldon
The Red Rock Mystery Series
Proud K.R.E Member
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

Joy wrote:I recently read The Help by Kathryn Stockett. It was fairly meaningful, and a lot better than the movie. I really enjoyed it.
Ooh, I liked The Help, too! I had to read it last summer for our high school's summer reading assignment, and I liked it a lot. I loved the different perspectives on things.

We're reading Emily Brontë's Wuthering Heights for English, and I'm actually rather intrigued by it. I'm curious to see where it goes. My APUSH teacher doesn't care for the Brontë sisters, though; he told us once that at one point when he was in high school, he was at home sick and was reading Wuthering Heights for English and then somehow managed to drag himself out of bed and muster up the strength to force himself to turn on the TV...only to find that everything had been pre-empted because the news was reporting the attempted assassination on Ronald Reagan. So no more Brontë sisters, because then the President might get shot, and you just can't take that kind of risk. ;)
it's not about 'deserve'. it's about what you believe. and i believe in love
Ameraka
Fudge Marble

TigerShadow wrote:
Joy wrote:I recently read The Help by Kathryn Stockett. It was fairly meaningful, and a lot better than the movie. I really enjoyed it.
Ooh, I liked The Help, too! I had to read it last summer for our high school's summer reading assignment, and I liked it a lot. I loved the different perspectives on things.

We're reading Emily Brontë's Wuthering Heights for English, and I'm actually rather intrigued by it. I'm curious to see where it goes. My APUSH teacher doesn't care for the Brontë sisters, though; he told us once that at one point when he was in high school, he was at home sick and was reading Wuthering Heights for English and then somehow managed to drag himself out of bed and muster up the strength to force himself to turn on the TV...only to find that everything had been pre-empted because the news was reporting the attempted assassination on Ronald Reagan. So no more Brontë sisters, because then the President might get shot, and you just can't take that kind of risk. ;)
That's a funny story! Not the best reason in the world. :)
I like Wuthering Heights. I think I like Jane Eyre a little better, though, because of
How dark Wuthering Heights gets.
I am reading a nonfiction book about Israel--which is very interesting, learning about the complicated dynamic between the Israelis and Palestinians.
But I really need to go to the library and get a new fiction book to read. :)

My book, Justice Lost, is on Amazon Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JM1XFCI
Tea Ess
Pineapple Whip

I might have to read Wuthering Heights. I liked Jane Eyre; it was one of the best books I've had to read for literature, I think. It's so interesting that the Brontë sisters all ended up writing. That must be unusual.
TigerShadow wrote:My APUSH teacher doesn't care for the Brontë sisters...
You public schoolers and your acronyms. :noway:

Unfortunately, I'm basically just reading textbooks right now. :(
"Happy Birthday to Hot Leaf Water Ess!" - Belle
Joy
Raspberry Ripple

TigerShadow wrote:
Yeah, it's a really great book. I didn't like how the movie made the characters seem a lot more perfect (Elizabeth, Minny, Skeeter, Celia). In the movie you feel sorry and sympathetic for all those characters, and in the book there are a lot of things that sort of made me question my loyalty to those characters in the first place.
Connie G.
Peach Cobbler

the Island Stallion Races
Strength for today, and bright hope for tomorrow.

"Why does Connie shower all of the time?" ~CGM_Games
Ameraka
Fudge Marble

I picked up Young Unicorns by Madeleine L'Engle and just started reading it. I borrowed it from one of those little house-shaped free libraries on someone's lawn.

RyanCummings
Strawberry

Brock Eastman (the guy we all know as the one who made us laugh out loud at the Official AIO podcast) wrote a book called HowlSage around the time that he wrote the fifth Imagination Station book, and it is probably one of my favorite books ever. Is there anyone else who enjoyed his book?

PS: There is a Kickstarter to fund the rest of the books in the Sages of Darkness series. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/25 ... ing-demons

~~~Ryan Matlock: Youtuber, producer of the World Famous Odyssey podcast, writing assistant to Brock Eastman, and SUPER AIO fan.
Renae
Fudge Marble
Location: ....I'll be in a different place every time you read this....

I'm almost done with Our Mutual Friend! Mental applause are accepted.
Renae: Faithful companion of Drama King, aka Jimmy Barclay.
Mickey
Peach Cobbler

I want to start Chronicles of Narnia, Lord of the Rings, and Hobbit!
Proud K.R.E Member
Ameraka
Fudge Marble

Natalie P. wrote:the Island Stallion Races
Ooh, I remember that one. I think I've read all the Black Stallion and Island Stallion books. How about you?

-- Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:04 pm --
Micky wrote:I want to start Chronicles of Narnia, Lord of the Rings, and Hobbit!
Good choices! :) Which one will you start first?

HomeschoolCowgirl
Peach Cobbler

Yes, we've read all the Island/Black Stallion books... and just about all the other books about horses our library has to offer!
One of us (yours truly) also read the entire Merck Veterinary Handbook 9th Edition. :ugeek:
"Musical training is a more potent instrument than any other, for rhythm and harmony find their way into the inner places of the soul... making the soul of one who is rightly educated, graceful" -- Socrates
Ashley
Raspberry Ripple

I'm almost halfway through Eragon. IT'S AMAZING.

Fun fact: The author was homeschooled, graduated when he was 15, and wrote it when he was 19. But I don't think he's Christian.
Connie G.
Peach Cobbler

The Island Stallion Races

Two (Aliens) help a young boy race his unknown-to-the-world horse in the International.
Strength for today, and bright hope for tomorrow.

"Why does Connie shower all of the time?" ~CGM_Games
Mickey
Peach Cobbler

Micky wrote:I want to start Chronicles of Narnia, Lord of the Rings, and Hobbit!
Good choices! :) Which one will you start first?[/quote]
I just finished the book of chronicles of narnia.
Proud K.R.E Member
Novatom
Raspberry Ripple

I never finished The Chronicles of Narnia. I stopped in Prince Caspian because it got boring, and I've never continued.
17:39<Novatom>: I'm in another boat. A boat of people who don't know what everyone's talking about. A boat that is sinking.
17:40<Sameriazx>: oh no... here we go again...