Jewelry

What do you believe and why? Here's the place to discuss anything relating to church and God.
sing
Raspberry Ripple

Jewelry

What do you all think of first Timothy 2:9? I personally don't think it means you can't wear Jewelry, but my church does. What do YOU think?

Of course, all boys have cooties, so I avoid like them like the plague. -Helios

Music is life, that's why our hearts have beats
HannahJ.
Mocha Jamocha

I wear jewelry all the time! I am working on my dad letting me get my ears pierced. He doesn't like it but besides that I'm alowed! I don't think God cares..
Why do nothing when you can Dance?
gabbygirl17
Mint Chocolate Chip

(In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;

10 But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works.)

We don't wear jewelry or believe in wearing it but I have friends that do. What do you guys think the verse means?
"Your words were found, and I ate them, and your words became to me a joy and the delight of my heart, for I am called by your name, O Lord, God of hosts." - Jeremiah 15:16
GratiaDei
Cookies & Creme

I believe it means to not attract attention to yourselves in the things that you wear, but to be respectable and proclaim God in everything. I don't think that it means to not wear jewelry, because delighting in beautiful things that God has made is part of glorifying God. I personally don't wear really flashy jewelry, but a necklace or earrings are fine.
Ashley
Raspberry Ripple

I think that verse means to not wear jewelry that draws too much attention to your body, but to wear jewelry to draw the attention to your face. So necklaces and earrings are fine. I personally don't really like necklaces but I like earrings and am planning to get my ears pierced this week :) The first time I got them done they got infected... :(
Striped Leopard
Cookies & Creme

Back in the time of Paul's writing, jewelry was worn by people who wanted to flaunt their wealth and status. If that's not your intention when you're wearing earrings, necklaces, etc., then I don't think there's a problem.
Formerly Christian A. :)
Jeremiah 13:23
Ezekiel 36:26-27
Ephesians 2:4-10

God has done the impossible! He has, in effect, changed a leopard's spots into stripes! He turned me, one who was accustomed to do evil, into one who can walk in good works! He brought me to life from the dead and gave me His Spirit, in order to cause me to walk in His statutes! He has totally changed me, and it is all for His glory!
Ashley
Raspberry Ripple

Christian A. wrote:Back in the time of Paul's writing, jewelry was worn by people who wanted to flaunt their wealth and status. If that's not your intention when you're wearing earrings, necklaces, etc., then I don't think there's a problem.
And they probably wore jewelry like Hindu women wear bracelets...
Leetastic
Vanilla

Wearing your hair down and with some tasteful jewelry nowadays isn't socially what is was back then. Yes, it was the wealthy, but also the prostitutes. :P So Paul was warning the Church against being likened to them. *shrug*
"You cannot erase God with an edict!"
Ashleigh
Strawberry

I don't see anything wrong with wearing Jewelry. I'm a girl, So I'm naturally attached to Jewerly, But I'm not into like big diamonds. But honestly..Wearing Jewelry is alright with me, I wear earrings, Necklaces, and one ring ( My Purity ring) But other than that, Not that much. I won't wear like decked out Jewelry.
dolphinlovr4ever
Caramel Crunch

As a church we believe you should not wear jewelry as it draws attention to self not God. We want to share the gosple and draw attention to God not man.
UNCLEBITTLES
Vanilla

sing wrote:What do you all think of first Timothy 2:9? I personally don't think it means you can't wear Jewelry, but my church does. What do YOU think?
It's funny, my church just today read this verse. But see what your doing is only looking at that one verse. You can't cut and paste the Bible like that. Look at the verse after that one. "9 I also want the women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, adorning themselves, not with elaborate hairstyles or gold or pearls or expensive clothes, 10 but with good deeds, appropriate for women who profess to worship God." (1 Tim 2 9-10 NIV) What my church and I believe is that what God is saying is don't worry so much about how you look worry about if your being a good Christian and stuff like that. It's not saying dressing up is of the devil.