Bernard Walton's Return

Hidden in all this dust lies the hypothesis of many AIO fans. What do you feel is sure to happen, and what should stay buried? Chris says keep listening, we say speculate.
Wakko
Pistachio

Bernard Walton's Return

Do you think Bernard will return and how do you think he will?
Ashley
Raspberry Ripple

I bet he'll return and be involved in some big mystery or something else very un-Bernard-like :)
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

Now that would be fun, Ashley. By the way, it's good to see you posting again.
If Bernard comes back, it would indeed be great if it was part of some big, cool thing happening in Odyssey. But even though Dave Arnold and Paul McCusker strongly hinted they'd like to get him back. But that was quite some time ago now... It's hard to believe he'll return after so long. On the other hand, it's equally hard to imagine him not getting a farewell. He's so close to our hearts.
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
Jason
Cookies & Creme

It'd be nice i they did like a mini story arc having to do with Bernard. Even if it was something as simple as his disappearance, which made him absent for the majority of the episodes about him. Or it wouldn't even have to be a mystery. Maybe Bernard's business is taking him away from Odyssey, so they throw a farewell bash that includes memories of him with flashbacks. Or maybe they could do an episode tribute to Bernard without actually bringing the actor for him back. Include flash backs from previous episodes with Bernard, and maybe some clips from Bernard's childhood; both ones from episodes and new clips. Just something to kind of gives us closure kind of like what they did for Jack and Joanne and Mitch.....
Stella C.
Peach Cobbler

I they had an episode like that, Jase.... I'd probably cry.. =( Although it would be nice to give a much loved character a decent farewell.
Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring. -Proverbs 27:1
Sam: Up on our mountain, where the muffins stink, the boys aren't, and we play music all day long.. xD
Stella: Sounds AWESOME!
Wakko
Pistachio

Stella C. wrote:I they had an episode like that, Jase.... I'd probably cry.. =( Although it would be nice to give a much loved character a decent farewell.
I agree instead of him just fading away.
ArnoldtheRubberDucky
Butter Pecan

It's not happening. Sorry, but Dave Madden has been retired for a while, and it doesn't look like he's coming out just for Odyssey. And while it would be nice to hear from Bernard again, I'm not sure that's what the show needs right now. He did his time. He was on the show for a while, and his return would be... odd. I don't think he would mix very well with all the new characters. However, I do believe it would be nice if they at least said goodbye to Bernard like they did with Jack and Joanne. That would be far more satisfying than simply ignoring him.
Sir Arnold, Knight of the Order of Augustine, Debate Vampire
Mr. Yorp wrote:You don't need a degree to shovel manure.
Aaron Wiley
Pistachio

There's nothing I'd love to hear more than a return from Bernard... He was amazing. I doubt Dave Madden is still up for it though. He's getting reeeeaaally old. haha
"I strive to be an Elephant" - Odyssey Fan Wiley
Jimmy Barclay
Caramel Crunch

Bernard was one of the best "dry humor" AiO actors by far......but as most have said, I think he was a bit "old fashioned" to fit in with the current set.

Jimmy Barclay: Faithful companion of Drama Queen, aka Renae.

"And besides, it's salmon patty and broccoli night.......yulghth"
Rosy
Cookie Dough

CreativeThinker101 wrote:It's not happening. Sorry, but Dave Madden has been retired for a while, and it doesn't look like he's coming out just for Odyssey. And while it would be nice to hear from Bernard again, I'm not sure that's what the show needs right now. He did his time. He was on the show for a while, and his return would be... odd. I don't think he would mix very well with all the new characters.
As much as I love Bernard, I must agree with CT here. Bernard's return wouldn't fit well with the new characters, and maybe not even with the new voice for Whit.
꿈. 희망. 전진.
Jason
Cookies & Creme

The main reason I want them to bring him back even for one episode would be to clearly bring the curtain down on his character. They've done this for Jack and Joanne, and even MITCH... That's the main thing. They brought back Mitch to settle an already settled matter. Was it needed? Not really, however by doing so it wrapped up the Connie Mitch questions and stamped out any possibility that Mitch would be in future episodes. And I think it'd be nice for them to at least do SOMETHING like that for Bernard's character.
Connie_Kendall
Peanut Butter Cup

I don't care how he would come back, or if the characters would like him... I just wish he would come back ;)
Liz'alike
Cookie Dough

Bernard is one of my favorite characters :D (besides Emily) I'd love to see him back here!
Wakko
Pistachio

Liz'alike wrote:Bernard is one of my favorite characters :D (besides Emily) I'd love to see him back here!
I agree other then the Emily part.
Connie_Kendall
Peanut Butter Cup

You don't like Emily?!
Peachey Keen
Caramel Crunch

I want this to happen:

Bernard returns in one album. We hear another B-TV, another Bible story (or any story) from him, and a regular slice-of-life episode or 2. There wouldn't be any mention of his absence or departure. It would be a nice farewell and tribute to his character and give us some last episodes with him in it with all the things that we love about Bernard.

I heard that Dave Madden was going through some kind of illness last year. I know he previously said on an Official Podcast that he's retired, but he still loves to do AIO. But that was a couple of years ago.
Bethany Shepard
Moose Tracks

Bernard! Music to my ears!

I think they'll slowly bring him back. Mention him needing to cleaning Whits End, then (in a different episode) say he's upstairs or something, then Him talking in the background, then in be in a episode, then A MAIN CHARACTER AGAIN!! * inhaling and exhaling fast*

It's brilliant, brilliant, brilliant, I tell you! Genius I say! :D
"I am not a demon. I am a lizard, a shark, a heat-seeking panther.
I want to be Bob Denver on acid playing the accordion."
-Nicolas Cage
Wakko
Pistachio

Connie_Kendall wrote:You don't like Emily?!
No I don't she's the worst AIO charcter
The Old Judge
Mint Chocolate Chip

To get back on topic...

As stated earlier, I affirm that Bernard would not do so well with some of the new characters. For instance, some of the new female characters wouldn't know how to take his sarcasm. For instance:

Penny: Oh, Mr. Walton, me and Wooton are made for each other. I just know it.
Bernard: Oh, you do, do you?
Penny: Yes! He's the only one for me!
Bernard: Well, I'm glad! If there was another Wooton that would be a threat to the peace and happiness of the world!
Penny: @$&^*%#!

Priscilla: *SHRIEK!* Connie this is terrible!
Connie: What? What?!
Priscilla: Do you see this monstrosity?
Connie: Oh, it's a pimple. It'll go away. And it's a small one.
Priscilla: But, it's right on my nose!
Bernard: (hearing from a distance, comes over and interrupts Connie.) Ooh, you got quite a shiner on your sniffer, girly. Buck up, though. Next time Uncle Archie's passes through town, you can ask for a job. (Mutters to himself,) I hear they're short on clowns.
Do you think you know music? Guess the hints at the end of each of my posts in A Musical Journey. (The name's a link. You can click it.)
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

Ho ho, hee hee!

Emily: "People don't understand me."
Bernard: "Sorry, I don't understand."
Olivia: "Sometimes I doubt my brother's sanity."
Bernard: "I could help you with those doubts."
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury