If you think praying to the saints is weird...

What do you believe and why? Here's the place to discuss anything relating to church and God.
Arkán Dreamwalker
Pistachio

If you think praying to the saints is weird...

Then read this.
YES THIS.
~ Walker in Dreams
NinjaThrowingStar
Raspberry Ripple

What?? *looks around* I do not see anything to read.
What is forever..? I shall see you again. Just after the mist has faded and time has stopped, over on the other side. Enjoy your journey and I'll enjoy mine.
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

The words "YES THIS" are a link to an article. This article: http://www.catholic.com/tracts/praying-to-the-saints
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
fodo14
Raspberry Ripple

I still think it's weird. :mrgreen:
Striped Leopard
Cookies & Creme

I may think it's a little odd, but biblically, I don't think it's a big issue. You can pray to them if you want to. I don't see any examples of it in the Bible (the Protestant 66 ;)), so I wouldn't do it. Plus, I don't really see the point, since we can just pray to Jesus, and there's not really a reason to have to pray to anyone else. But, go ahead and do it if you think that's going to do something for you.
Formerly Christian A. :)
Jeremiah 13:23
Ezekiel 36:26-27
Ephesians 2:4-10

God has done the impossible! He has, in effect, changed a leopard's spots into stripes! He turned me, one who was accustomed to do evil, into one who can walk in good works! He brought me to life from the dead and gave me His Spirit, in order to cause me to walk in His statutes! He has totally changed me, and it is all for His glory!
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

If you can just pray to Jesus why ask other people you know to pray for you? That's what prayers to the Saints is, asking them to to pray for us.
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
Arkán Dreamwalker
Pistachio

That's why I posted the article, to answer those thoughts. Did you read it? It talks about the Strait to Jesus thing and all.
~ Walker in Dreams
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

I'm agreeing with you, I am Eastern Orthodox so I too ask for the intercession of the Saints.

Wretched Sinner
Lemon Meringue

Ditto what fodo said.
Samantha14
Mint Chocolate Chip

I don't think you guys are giving this much of a chance... It may seem unusual to us, yes, but does that really make it truly weird/wrong? No, no it doesn't. I mean, some of the biggest and most wonderful miracles in the Bible were inexplicable, and seemed, as you can imagine, weird, or even dark to those of the time, but that doesn't mean it's any less of good. I haven't looked into this much, but I intend to do my research. I wish people would stop dissing before they looked into something more... We could all learn from each other if we just sat down and looked into each others beliefs... Not pointing out their faults, but, maybe, if we look into our own faults just a bit, before jumping on others faults, we could all improve, and continue doing what our sole purpose is. Following God, and being one united body, the body of Christ.
fodo14
Raspberry Ripple

I'm not making fun of him. I don't care what they do. I was just playing with words. You know THE TITLE. Read the title then read my comment.

I don't belive in praying to people that where just like me, sinners. Sooooo thats really all I have to say.
Striped Leopard
Cookies & Creme

Eleventh Doctor wrote:If you can just pray to Jesus why ask other people you know to pray for you? That's what prayers to the Saints is, asking them to to pray for us.
But... why take the time to pray to a saint to pray for you... when you can just pray to Jesus directly? The Holy Spirit fuels our prayers (Romans 8), so why would the saints' prayers on our behalf be any better than regular prayers?

God has done the impossible! He has, in effect, changed a leopard's spots into stripes! He turned me, one who was accustomed to do evil, into one who can walk in good works! He brought me to life from the dead and gave me His Spirit, in order to cause me to walk in His statutes! He has totally changed me, and it is all for His glory!
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

I'll answer this here instead of the Eastern Orthodox Q&A thread. Asking the Saints to pray for you is exactly the same as asking your parents or friends to pray for you, do you do that?

Striped Leopard
Cookies & Creme

Yes, I do. I suppose I will have to concede this point to you. I guess I just don't buy into it because, like I said, other than the Revelation reference, there's no example of it in Scripture, so that kind of turns me off to it. But it's definitely not a big issue, and I can live with it. If you feel like asking a saint of the church triumphant to pray for you is going to help you get through something, knock yourself out. Just don't expect me to do it too. ;)

Wretched Sinner
Lemon Meringue

The saints are just sinners like us. It's kinda like praying to Mary... Who is also sinful
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

The Saints are in heaven and so have been glorified by Christ and are no longer sinners. Also I think there's a misunderstanding about the word prayer in this context. We're not praying to the Saints in the same way we pray to God but asking them to pray to God for us in the same way we ask friends and family to pray for us.

jennakyler321
Cookies & Creme

I think it's still abit weird
Jen
Gods love is like a warm cup of coffee you can't get enough
Helios
Butter Pecan

Um...the saints...are....

DEAD.

And they're human.

It won't help you any to pray to a saint than it would to pray to...well...yourself. Isn't it an extra-Biblical thing? I mean, when was the last time you heard about Paul praying to Peter?

And asking a dead person to intercede for me...it's against logic. THEY'RE DEAD.
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

God is the God of the living, people in heaven are more alive than we will ever be here on earth.

And the prays of a wise man avail you much, I think the Saints in heaven are very wise.

Helios
Butter Pecan

True, people in Heaven are TRULY alive.

But still human.

Humans cannot grant prayer requests or give blessings or do anything remotely God-like, because they are not God.

I guess my point is: Saints are not God.

So why pray to them?