What Version of the Bible do You use?

What do you believe and why? Here's the place to discuss anything relating to church and God.

What version of the Bible do you use?

NIV
14%
KJV
36%
NLT
14%
NKJV
21%
ESV
14%

Total votes: 14

Smile Awhile
Cookies & Creme

What Version of the Bible do You use?

I use the KJV. It is the exact words of the original Hebrew text. Other versions are just what man thinks that it says.
What do you want here? You can move along to the next post now; nothing fun here in my signature.
gabbygirl17
Mint Chocolate Chip

I use the KJV too.
"Your words were found, and I ate them, and your words became to me a joy and the delight of my heart, for I am called by your name, O Lord, God of hosts." - Jeremiah 15:16
Liz'alike
Cookie Dough

I use NIV in my day to day studies. But I like to use multiple versions when I'm doing more in depth studies.
Wretched Sinner
Lemon Meringue

News update:

Guess what guys. There's a new version of the Bible out called the Queen James version. I'm not joking. It's a Bible meant specifically for gay people. I'm NOT joking.
NarniaQA Guy
Cookies & Creme

I use NIV mainly, but I prefer using NLT
Owned by Audrey, My love. <3 baecon is amazing.
Liz'alike
Cookie Dough

@ Noah- That is so nasty! And wrong! I am completely disturbed.
Doll
Rainbow Sherbet

I use a NASB mostly, but I use the NKJV for AWANA.
~Queen Belle of Altanovia, Knight of Montreal & Order of Aristotle, Benevolent Dictator, Catspaw of the SS, & Dan's couch troll~
~"I’ve always found you to be a good person to disagree with." - Eleventh Doctor~
Starflower1234
Cookies & Creme

I use ESV for the most part, though we have bibles that are NKJV and KJV and other versions at our house. My Bible that I have is ESV.
I made a promise, Mr. Frodo. A promise. "Don't you leave him Samwise Gamgee." And I don't mean to. I don't mean to. - Sam from The Fellowship of the Ring movie
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you! - Sam from The Return of the King movie
The Old Judge
Mint Chocolate Chip

I will throw my hat in the ring here. I use the KJV. I believe, like Smile Awhile said, that it is the purest form of the Bible in English.

And if we're talking about strange versions of the Bible, here's one: the SCV, or Simplified Cowboy Version.
Do you think you know music? Guess the hints at the end of each of my posts in A Musical Journey. (The name's a link. You can click it.)
Whittifer
Raspberry Ripple

I use KJV and believe, like TOJ said,"It is the purest form of the Bible in English."

And, I have heard of the SCV and even some verses out of it. Very odd....
Nothing.
Suzy Lou Foolish
Peanut Butter Cup

I grew up by the King James Version, and am still quite partial to KJV. Occasionally I'll use a NIV if that is all in availability.
The Simplfied Cowboy sounds strange, indeed. Is it jolted a bit, as in- is it true to the real Bible, or does it have quite a few changes in it to suit the taste of the Cowboy churches?
The Old Judge
Mint Chocolate Chip

The SCV is very, as you say, "jolted". I heard about it from a person at church, who has a relative who goes to a Cowboy Church. I dug up the Creation story online, so just click here: http://campfirecowboyministries.com/the ... rsion-scv/
Do you think you know music? Guess the hints at the end of each of my posts in A Musical Journey. (The name's a link. You can click it.)
Joy
Raspberry Ripple

I use NKJV. Giving a new Christian a KJV or NKJV is not a good thing to do....they're new in Christ, and aren't used to the language of a Bible. NIV or perhaps NKJV would be good for them. And giving a kid a KJV? Nuh-uh. They'll be best suited to an NIV, depending on their skills.
Doll
Rainbow Sherbet

JoyfulG wrote:I use NKJV. Giving a new Christian a KJV or NKJV is not a good thing to do....they're new in Christ, and aren't used to the language of a Bible. NIV or perhaps NKJV would be good for them. And giving a kid a KJV? Nuh-uh. They'll be best suited to an NIV, depending on their skills.
Except for the fact that the NIV version has been changed to make it, "Politically Correct."
~Queen Belle of Altanovia, Knight of Montreal & Order of Aristotle, Benevolent Dictator, Catspaw of the SS, & Dan's couch troll~
~"I’ve always found you to be a good person to disagree with." - Eleventh Doctor~
Joy
Raspberry Ripple

God's Girl wrote:
JoyfulG wrote:I use NKJV. Giving a new Christian a KJV or NKJV is not a good thing to do....they're new in Christ, and aren't used to the language of a Bible. NIV or perhaps NKJV would be good for them. And giving a kid a KJV? Nuh-uh. They'll be best suited to an NIV, depending on their skills.
Except for the fact that the NIV version has been changed to make it, "Politically Correct."
Well, I didn't know that, so perhaps NKJV at least. I don't see really anything wrong with that version.
Suzy Lou Foolish
Peanut Butter Cup

The Old Judge wrote:The SCV is very, as you say, "jolted". I heard about it from a person at church, who has a relative who goes to a Cowboy Church. I dug up the Creation story online, so just click here: http://campfirecowboyministries.com/the ... rsion-scv/
Oh my wordyy. I read a few "verses" and was quite disturbed. Just how they word some of the stuff in there is absolutely ridiculous! Even a tad, well, improper and maybe even a bit disrespectful to God, don't you think? "And the Boss saw that it sure was good." Oh, and verse 28. Whaaaat? Don't children read this bible?

Hmm. Maybe I'm being a bit too judgmental. It just makes me slightly uncomfortable.
Renae
Fudge Marble
Location: ....I'll be in a different place every time you read this....

Scootalou Foolish wrote:
The Old Judge wrote:The SCV is very, as you say, "jolted". I heard about it from a person at church, who has a relative who goes to a Cowboy Church. I dug up the Creation story online, so just click here: http://campfirecowboyministries.com/the ... rsion-scv/
Oh my wordyy. I read a few "verses" and was quite disturbed. Just how they word some of the stuff in there is absolutely ridiculous! Even a tad, well, improper and maybe even a bit disrespectful to God, don't you think? "And the Boss saw that it sure was good." Oh, and verse 28. Whaaaat? Don't children read this bible?

Hmm. Maybe I'm being a bit too judgmental. It just makes me slightly uncomfortable.
I completely agree with you, Suzy. I believe it is (like you put it) "improper and disrespectful."

My school uses the NIV version, so I suppose I'm rather stuck with that, but I also tend to use the ESV, which I also find useful. :D
Renae: Faithful companion of Drama King, aka Jimmy Barclay.
Tea Ess
Pineapple Whip

I use a variety of versions, including ESV, NIV, and one other that doesn't come with a handy acronym.

So, I agree that KJV is a wonderful translation and preserves the majestic and sacred nature of the Scriptures. To say that it is the only correct translation and that nothing else can equal its accuracy, however, is a bit far fetched. Human error occurs in all translations, and there is no good reason to believe that we can somehow not translate as accurately now.
"Happy Birthday to Hot Leaf Water Ess!" - Belle
gabbygirl17
Mint Chocolate Chip

Wooton Bassett wrote:News update:

Guess what guys. There's a new version of the Bible out called the Queen James version. I'm not joking. It's a Bible meant specifically for gay people. I'm NOT joking.

Wow that means they'll have to change some of the Bible!
"Your words were found, and I ate them, and your words became to me a joy and the delight of my heart, for I am called by your name, O Lord, God of hosts." - Jeremiah 15:16
Renae
Fudge Marble
Location: ....I'll be in a different place every time you read this....

T.S. (myself) wrote:I use a variety of versions, including ESV, NIV, and one other that doesn't come with a handy acronym.

So, I agree that KJV is a wonderful translation and preserves the majestic and sacred nature of the Scriptures. To say that it is the only correct translation and that nothing else can equal its accuracy, however, is a bit far fetched. Human error occurs in all translations, and there is no good reason to believe that we can somehow not translate as accurately now.

Very true! And while KJV is a really good translation, I usually find that I relate more to NIV or ESV, because of the way they are written.
Renae: Faithful companion of Drama King, aka Jimmy Barclay.