Santa:Yes or No?

If it doesn't pertain to Adventures in Odyssey, you've stepped into the right place! Grab a chair, and talk about your favorite books, TV shows, join a debate, or just be random!

Should parents do Santa?

Poll ended at Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:59 pm

Yes, there's nothing wrong with it!
29%
Maybe, I haven't really though about it/haven't decided
No votes
No, parents shouldn't do Santa
71%

Total votes: 21

Aaron Wiley
Pistachio

In my family, my parents were usually pretty honest about legends like Santa and stuff. My sister, even when she was two years old, already knew that Santa was just a mythical character from a story.
"I strive to be an Elephant" - Odyssey Fan Wiley
Batgirl
Cookies & Creme

I have to agree with Suzy. Anyways why do we get presents for Christmas, we don't actually deserve them, its Jesus's birthday. But think about this,what does Jesus have to say about this? Is this Biblical? Is it ok to lie?
"Sometimes the best book has the dustiest jacket, and sometimes the best tea cup is chipped."
NarniaQA Guy
Cookies & Creme

Well, here is the thing: Santa was real. He was Saint Nick, he just didn't live in the north pole and have elves, but he was a very generous man. Man, I thought there would be more people on the SS that would listen to AIO... JK. :)
Owned by Audrey, My love. <3 baecon is amazing.
MaryBeth_13
Cookies & Creme

i think it's awful to lie to kids and say, "Oh make sure your good cuz santa's watching!" i want kids SOOOO bad but i would NEVER lie to them! i'm gonna teach them biblical truths and fun stuff but not santa. I admit though, playing those santa clause songs on piano are fun cuz their fast! :D
Image"Charm is deceptive,and beauty it fleeting,but a women who fears the Lord shall be praised." Proverbs 30:31
the Valiant
Caramel Crunch

...wait--so are you guys telling me SANTA ISN'T REAL?!?!?!

But on a more serious note--Batgirl entered a valid point. If this is all about Jesus and Santa takes away from Jesus, then why have presents? If you think Santa is the culprit of taking away from Jesus, you are mistaken. The real thief is gifts. So to all you who said that, I think you should also stop doing gifts.
I, for one, don't think there is anything wrong with Father Christmas- he is awesome. And I like watching all the Christmas cartoons and listening to the Christmas songs that mentioned and/or have Santa in them. I've never seen anything wrong with Santa, I still leave out cookies and milk and write a letter to him. If you think you are fooling those two year old's then I think you are mistaken. In the back of my mind, I always sorta knew that it was really my parents, but I refused to ever give in to that thought and kept playing along :D . ...to this day I still play along. So I will be telling my kids about Santa, but don't think I'll leave Jesus out either. He comes first.
But I really do believe that its almost a little hypocritical to say that Santa takes away from Jesus but then still do presents- an alternative may be something like wrapping up gifts and giving to someone in need. That way you can still have the idea of gift giving, but in a way that further emphasizes Christ.
brittany k
Peanut Butter Cup

i have never believed in santa, & my kids wont either! i'm not going to lie to my kids!!!! we do presents, i believe presents r fine!
I'm a crazy gal! :)
I love life! :)
Victoria
Strawberry

My family has never done Santa, tooth fairy or Easter bunny.. My parents think its a bad idea to tell you kids those things aren't real after years of you believing it, they didn't want us to stop believing in God. They didn't want us to think God was just another lie. So the only thing I've ever done regarding Santa is going to. A mall with my friend and taking a picture with "Santa".... But in all honesty, he was creepy, smelled like smoke and he was wheezing.. O.O

So no, no Santa! Haha
"Finally, be strong in the Lord and in His mighty power." Ephesians 6:10 <3

My best friend and I have a blog, check it out! http://bestieswithablog.blogspot.com/
SparkyHappyGiraffe
Fudge Marble

I love jolly fat men!!!!! Okay funny story here: My brother went to the mall to see Santa and he told Santa his name (Josh) and Santa said "Did you know your name is in the book" and Josh said "The book? as in the naughty list book?" and Santa said "No, the bible!" and gave a chuckle that I will never forget :)
the Valiant
Caramel Crunch

SparkyHappyGiraffe wrote:I love jolly fat men!!!!! Okay funny story here: My brother went to the mall to see Santa and he told Santa his name (Josh) and Santa said "Did you know your name is in the book" and Josh said "The book? as in the naughty list book?" and Santa said "No, the bible!" and gave a chuckle that I will never forget :)
...that is so awesome. That must have been the real Santa. *squeal*
jennakyler321
Cookies & Creme

My parents never let me believe in Santa they never wanted to lie to me
Jen
Gods love is like a warm cup of coffee you can't get enough
Arkán Dreamwalker
Pistachio

No one is mentioning the magic that believing in Santa brings to young kids.
~ Walker in Dreams
Tea Ess
Pineapple Whip

Arkán Dreamwalker wrote:No one is mentioning the magic that believing in Santa brings to young kids.
I'm assuming you meant that in a good way. I'd agree that a lot of kids really enjoy Santa. The Little House series refers to Santa, but it was much less dramatized than today. I know that some kids get a healthy exercise of their imagination, and have a lot of fun pretending. However, sometimes Santa is just so promoted that he gets the spotlight when he shouldn't.

Every Sunday, I act as the assistant teacher in one of my church's preschool rooms. Today, someone, in the prayer, thanked God for Santa and the toys he brings us. In. March. Basically the same thing had happened a few months before with a different child.

I don't know the children's parents well, so I can't make a judgement one way or another. My guess is that it's really the emphasis on Santa in our culture, and the constant exposure to him.

So, if we could healthily enjoy Santa and use our imaginations, that would be wonderful. But in today's culture that's not always feasible, one reason why some families choose to do away with Santa altogether.
"Happy Birthday to Hot Leaf Water Ess!" - Belle
Starflower1234
Cookies & Creme

My parents never told us that Santa was real and I'm never going to tell that to my kids. My grandparents didn't tell it to my parents either. One time when my uncle was little, he went to my grandma and asked her "Is Santa real?" And she said that he wasn't. Then he asked her "Is Jesus real?" And she said that he was. And then he continued on, I can't remember exactly what my grandma said he said, but it was something like asking about different things about Santa, like the fact that he knows when you've been bad or good, or that he can deliver presents to all the children in the world in one night, and then asking if similar things about Jesus were true, like how Jesus and God know everything, and how they can be in more than one place at once. My grandma was glad that she had never said that Santa was real and told them that it was a lie, because there are kind of some similarities between Santa and Jesus. In some cases that could lead to someone thinking that maybe Jesus is a lie as well. That's my opinion, but I don't think that it is a sin to tell your kids that Santa is real, I just personally don't think it's a good idea since he isn't real.
I made a promise, Mr. Frodo. A promise. "Don't you leave him Samwise Gamgee." And I don't mean to. I don't mean to. - Sam from The Fellowship of the Ring movie
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you! - Sam from The Return of the King movie
fodo14
Raspberry Ripple

Santa is DA BOMBE WITH AN E
Tea Ess
Pineapple Whip

Isn't that sort of a hazard?
"Happy Birthday to Hot Leaf Water Ess!" - Belle
arwen
Caramel Crunch

Letting kids believe in Santa is lying and also makes kids more greedy.
Metal15
Peanut Butter Cup

Santa's dead. My dad shot him long ago... :|
I'm the leader of the KRE, the group dedicated to countering ERK the Emily-centered cult. Join either team, you'll have a blast.

My Youtube channel --> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa8Nt7 ... ILthNNlUww

Feminism is cray.

FREEDOM!!!

Music FB page: https://www.facebook.com/louismusicdefinitelyofficial/
SparkyHappyGiraffe
Fudge Marble

Tim Alan is totally Santa 8)
Aftershocker
Mocha Jamocha

SparkyHappyGiraffe wrote:Tim Alan is totally Santa 8)
Obviously! ;)

(so as not to be a one word post)
^^ Props to Belle ^^
Suzy Lou Foolish
Peanut Butter Cup

Metal15 wrote:Santa's dead. My dad shot him long ago... :|
How drastic! Well, can't say I wouldn't do the same thing. I mean, what with some random man just dropping through your chimney...especially one that claims to know when you are sleeping and can see you when you're awake. Shudders.