Ask Me Odyssey Trivia Questions

The Front Counter is the main place for general Adventures in Odyssey discussions. Grab a Loc-Kno-Stra-Mal, and talk it up!
Scientific Guy
Cookies & Creme

Ask Me Odyssey Trivia Questions

Ask me Odyssey trivia questions! \:D/ Anything!! Try and stump me!
Bob
Caramel Crunch

This is sort of a multi-show/cast challenge, but I'll shoot anyway. Maybe you will find it interesting. It's certainly obscure!

Phil Lollar has played a key role in Odyssey, but also in work for many other Christian kids' radio shows. At times he has a tendency to 'reuse' script material from one show to another.

Name at least one Odyssey episode that was copied/adapted for other programs. The more details about the copy (the show that it was adapted for, the new episode's name, differences between the AIO/adapted version, etc), the more bonus points you get, but getting anything at all would be an accomplishment!

Also, a more basic (AIO-only) question: Ferguson, Karen and later Donna's cat, appears (as opposed to just being mentioned) in two episodes. What are the names of those episodes, and when can he be heard in the second one?
A classic never goes out of style.
Scientific Guy
Cookies & Creme

Bob wrote:Name at least one Odyssey episode that was copied/adapted for other programs. ...getting anything at all would be an accomplishment!
Sounds fun! I’ll play.

I haven't heard too many other shows that would apply here, but I know of a partial copy. In Iliad House episode #1: “First Impressions,” Phil Lollar reuses the first flashback scene from “Memories of Jerry.” The dialogue is slightly different in the IH version than the AIO version, but it goes something like, “Davidson, you're supposed to jump over the bar, not land on it! ... That was a perfectly new bar, and you bent it! It looks like a giant ‘V’ now! ... You could clear that bar if you tried harder, Jesse!” The IH version includes the line from the coach, “No, don't bend it back.”

That specific sequence is also a parallel to the AIO episode “The ‘No’ Factor,” where there was a similar montage that ended with the character’s name being said repeatedly by different characters, and ending with something about the character being asleep.

(Not sure if that counts to answer the original question asked, but that’s my best.)

As to the more basic question, Ferguson appears at the end of “Karen.” He also appears towards the end of Act I of “The Very Best of Friends,” where Donna is reading Karen’s poem she read in the prior episode. Ferguson meows and she talks to him (“You ever think about her, Ferg? No... As long as someone’s feeding you, you’re happy.”), before Whit and Jesse enter. :P
Miah Robinson
Chocolate Chip

This may sound easy... but is it?
What's the last thing Jules said about the Meltsner's dog?
"Well, that wasn't Shakespeare's Henry IV, but it'll have to do." -Don Polehaus
Scientific Guy
Cookies & Creme

Miah Robinson wrote:This may sound easy... but is it?
What's the last thing Jules said about the Meltsner's dog?
Not easy.
Trick question! The last thing she said would have been in "Crash Course," but in that episode she never mentions the dog. At least to my knowledge...
Miah Robinson
Chocolate Chip

Close... at the end of "Crash Course" when the last scene is fading, if you listen close enough you hear her say, "Make sure the dog doesn't get on the table, he might eat the cake."
"Well, that wasn't Shakespeare's Henry IV, but it'll have to do." -Don Polehaus
Bob
Caramel Crunch

Scientific Guy wrote: I haven't heard too many other shows that would apply here, but I know of a partial copy. In Iliad House episode #1: “First Impressions,” Phil Lollar reuses the first flashback scene from “Memories of Jerry.”
(Not sure if that counts to answer the original question asked, but that’s my best.)
Good catch.

There's at least two more that I'm aware of, although now that we've found it's a definite trend, a longer list could probably be compiled:

* In Jungle Jam, Phil Lollar wrote "Who Owns Who". It's basically the same plot as the middle story in "Tales of Moderation", adapted to Marvy on Razzleflabben Island. Besides the setting, the two major differences are that the stuff are toys, not appliances, and Marvy learns his lesson and gets a happy ending (while the AIO analogue meets a dark fate, possibly getting killed).

* In Kids Corner, there's a two parter, "Bible News: Esther", which shows Phil Lollar's work. Although, of course, adapted to the KC characters, and using a newscast format (similar to OT Action News, although better, in my opinion) instead of direct storytelling, the script is recognizably like "Bernard & Esther", especially in the Bible scenes, which tend to be verbatim. The biggest difference I can remember off the top of my head, without listening to it all the way through again, is that Mordecai's reasoning for not bowing is changed. In the AIO version, it's claimed that Jews, like Quakers, just don't bow to anyone, except God alone. In the KC version, it's said that Mordecai refuses to bow to Haman because he is an Agagite, a descendent of Amalek. The KC version reflects more current Bible scholarship (understandably, since it was made more than a few years after the AIO show).

Ferguson can also be heard, mewing plaintively, in the background during Donna's tirade to Whit and Jessie. Whether he still thought about Karen or not, he's clearly upset when Donna is.

---

Eugene has been written differently from time to time, and there's at least two differences that come to mind between his earlier character and his post-Novacom character. You can list any two that you want, but I'll give you a hint as to which direction I'm thinking of: the two early episodes I'm thinking of are "Ice Fishing" and "I Want My B-TV", and one of the differences that comes to mind has to do with how he says something in that second episode.
ASmouseInTheHouse
Cookies & Creme

In what episode is the number 714 mentioned, and what was the writer referencing with the number?
"Next up, Mark Morgan's message to all math maniacs in the middle school is meaningful if you mingle by the mezzanine for a momentous mix of methodological mayhem and a menagerie of multiplicative inversions. Ha ha ha! I bet I could say this backwards. Inversions multiplicative of menagerie a and mayhem methodological..."
Scientific Guy
Cookies & Creme

Bob wrote:Eugene has been written differently from time to time, and there's at least two differences that come to mind between his earlier character and his post-Novacom character. You can list any two that you want, but I'll give you a hint as to which direction I'm thinking of: the two early episodes I'm thinking of are "Ice Fishing" and "I Want My B-TV", and one of the differences that comes to mind has to do with how he says something in that second episode.
The first difference you're thinking of is his "scientific" way of saying his lines, which considerably lessens in the post-Novacom eras. In "I Want My B-TV!" he begins the story of the Three Little Pigs in a near-unintelligible manner. However, these occasions are considerably lessened after Novacom.
I'm at a loss of how to provide another difference, however. I'd be grateful for you to enlighten me!
ASmouseInTheHouse wrote:In what episode is the number 714 mentioned, and what was the writer referencing with the number?
What?? :? I honestly have no idea.
ASmouseInTheHouse
Cookies & Creme

In Aloha, Oy, part 1, their flight is announced as "Flight 714 to Honolulu". On the plane, Lawrence yells, "Flight 714. Mayday, mayday, we're going down!"
On page 235 in the Official Guide (25th birthday edition), it is mentioned that this number was a reference to the graphic novel "Flight 714 to Sydney". This is part of the Tintin series. In that particular book, a jet is forced to crash-land on a tropical island.
"Next up, Mark Morgan's message to all math maniacs in the middle school is meaningful if you mingle by the mezzanine for a momentous mix of methodological mayhem and a menagerie of multiplicative inversions. Ha ha ha! I bet I could say this backwards. Inversions multiplicative of menagerie a and mayhem methodological..."
Bob
Caramel Crunch

Scientific Guy wrote:The first difference you're thinking of is his "scientific" way of saying his lines, which considerably lessens in the post-Novacom eras.
That is a great guess, and it's true. I have to confess the one I was thinking of was much more specific and nitpicky, though. ;) In this episode Eugene pronounces the word 'forte' in a manner identical to fort, which is actually the correct way of saying it. In a later episode, however (the name of which escapes me off-hand), he pronounces it differently, 'fort-ay'. That is a way that it is commonly stated, but it isn't technically accurate, and more relevantly for this, it isn't how he pronounced it before.

For 2), in "Ice Fishing", Eugene is shown to be great, or even elite, at ice fishing. Yet in recent continuity, he has apparently forgotten everything relevant to catching fish, as all of his trips with Buck were less than successful and Katrina states he 'isn't much of an outdoorsman'. Granted, I don't remember if any of those trips were ice fishing, but even if not you'd think that at least some of the knowledge and experience should be transferable.

---

Whit has created many amazing and futuristic inventions, especially in virtual reality and computing/electronics. However, his work isn't always impressive. Name two or more inventions that Whit failed to complete. For bonus points, name at least one thing that broke at Whit's End that he was apparently unable to fix on his own.
Scientific Guy
Cookies & Creme

Good character analysis. I honestly wouldn't have picked up on those differences!
Bob wrote:Whit has created many amazing and futuristic inventions, especially in virtual reality and computing/electronics. However, his work isn't always impressive. Name two or more inventions that Whit failed to complete. For bonus points, name at least one thing that broke at Whit's End that he was apparently unable to fix on his own.
Ha, I instantly thought of your tagline review for "Whit's Flop." :D
  • 1) Whit's Flop – "It was a flop! It didn't work!" Yeah, right, Whit.
    2) The Super Scooper – "Is anyone interested in a barbecued ice cream sundae?"
There's two. Let's see...
  • 3) Instant Freezer – Did Whit actually finish this one?
    4) Prayer Vending Machine – "This is a joke, isn't it?" "You're right. It is." Technically, this one worked as far as Whit intended it to work, but he still didn't complete it.
    5) Edu-Link – Again, the project was completed, but Whit didn't complete it.
That should do for now. For bonus points:
  • 1) Best Face Forward – Several things (like the lights) are malfunctioning around the shop, and Whit, apparently unable to fix them on his own, calls in Mark Herring.
Do I pass?
Bob
Caramel Crunch

Pretty good! I might dispute over one or two of those, but it's well in excess of 2 in any case.

"Best Face Forward" was a good catch; I hadn't thought of that one!

In "Life of the Party" Whit is apparently unable to fix the freezer, to the point that he has to give quantities of ice cream away so that it isn't wasted. (Ironically, inventions that have to do with ice cream seem to be something of a weakness in Whit's repertoire.)

--

The other day, October 29th, was National Cat Day. In the spirit of that and in doing things exactly when we get around to them, try to name at least four named audio show felines and one of their appearances each. For extra credit, list at least two appearances made by other cats who aren't named. (For an appearance to count, we have to hear the cat, or something it's doing, or someone talking or reacting to it.) Catspaw does not count. ;)
Shadow
Peach Cobbler

which catspaw?
I'm Monty Whittaker's greatest fan. member of the K.R.E
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Patterson
Strawberry

Bob wrote:
The other day, October 29th, was National Cat Day. In the spirit of that and in doing things exactly when we get around to them, try to name at least four named audio show felines and one of their appearances each. For extra credit, list at least two appearances made by other cats who aren't named. (For an appearance to count, we have to hear the cat, or something it's doing, or someone talking or reacting to it.) Catspaw does not count. ;)
Let's see, there's Sasha (Dr. Blackguard's cat) in The Battle. Matilda in The day after Christmas. Boswell in All's Well With Boswell and Fluffyface (Mandy's cat) is mentioned in Sunset Bowlawater.
As for unnamed felines there's the lions (on long chains) in Pilgrim's Progress Revisited part 1. I'm pretty sure you can also hear unnamed cats (they're mentioned anyway) in Bethany's flood.
Scientific Guy
Cookies & Creme

Bob wrote:The other day, October 29th, was National Cat Day. In the spirit of that and in doing things exactly when we get around to them, try to name at least four named audio show felines and one of their appearances each. For extra credit, list at least two appearances made by other cats who aren't named. (For an appearance to count, we have to hear the cat, or something it's doing, or someone talking or reacting to it.) Catspaw does not count. ;)
Well, it's been a little bit, but I'll try. I heard "Family Values" recently and remembered that there was a cat in it before the scene came up, but I'm not sure if that counts legitimately here. (Besides that, I did NOT consult any resources for this question.) Lemme see...
  • 1. Sasha, in "The Battle, Part 1" and "Waylaid in the Windy City, Part 1" (also Cross-Check and Rook's Ruse)
    2. Boswell, in "All's Well with Boswell" (one of my top 50 episodes :o )
    3. Ferguson, in "Karen" and "The Very Best of Friends"
    4. Simpson, in "A Case of Revenge"
    5. Fluffyface, in "Sunset Bowlawater" and "The Telltale Cat" (which I have heard :twisted: )
Now for unnamed cats:
  • 1. Manx cat in "No, Honestly!"
    2. Unnamed interrupting cat in "Family Values"
    3. Annoyed cat in "Cover of Darkness"
Also, Whiskers, in "B-TV: Revenge," and unnamed cat in "B-TV: Idolatry," both by Kimmy Robertson, but I don't think they count.
That should be good enough. Feel free to increase the minimum count in the future if you wanna increase the difficulty!
greatkindheartedbush wrote:Let's see, there's Sasha (Dr. Blackguard's cat) in The Battle. Matilda in The day after Christmas. Boswell in All's Well With Boswell and Fluffyface (Mandy's cat) is mentioned in Sunset Bowlawater.
As for unnamed felines there's the lions (on long chains) in Pilgrim's Progress Revisited part 1. I'm pretty sure you can also hear unnamed cats (they're mentioned anyway) in Bethany's flood.
Hmm, good ones! I didn't think of Matilda! In the future, though, could you put your answers in spoiler tags? Just so I don't see 'em.
Bob
Caramel Crunch

Es good, da. There's also a black cat in Robyn's dream sequence in "Bad Luck"; it can be heard twice, once clearly when Jesse gives it to Robyn, then mewing in the background a moment later.

-

In accordance with your request, let's up the ante. ;) Don't feel you have to rush through this one.

Try to name 20+ dream sequences (not including the one in 'Bad Luck', which I just mentioned). For each list the character 'responsible', the episode it happened in, and a brief (1 or 2 sentences) dream summary. The character doesn't necessarily have to be actually asleep; they can also be daydreaming, but if they are, mention this as well.

--

Incidentally it looks like we may have to strike one from Whit's failures. It's obscure, but in "Auld Lang Syne" Tom talks about Whit's 'really great inventions' and mentions the 'instant freeze machine' right after the oven. It'd be interesting to evaluate times that things have needed freezing to determine whether this worked out over the long haul, but regardless, at one point in time it did seem to be working well.
Scientific Guy
Cookies & Creme

Shoulda thought twice before you said I didn't need to rush through this one. Haha.

I haven't prepared in the two years since you asked this question, so I think I'm still pretty fresh. Here we go.

0. "Bad Luck" (Robyn Jacobs): We already mentioned this one so it doesn't count.
1. "Nothing to Fear" (Shirley): Shirley dreams that a giant rat named Luther is trying to come through her window and eat her.
2. "Missed It By That Much" (Rachel Weaver): Rachel dreams that she's late for everything as a result of missing the chance to go roller skating with Connie's volleyball team.
3. "The Day Independence Came" (Irwin Springer): After being hit on the head with a book, Irwin travels back to the Revolutionary War and delivers a message to the Second Continental Congress (after fighting lobsterbacks with Nathan Hale).
4. "Choices" (Lucy Cunningham): Lucy has a dream that everyone in Whit's End is pressuring her into writing a report on evolution.
5. "A Mission for Jimmy" (Jimmy Barclay): After reading about Dan Issidro, Jimmy dreams that he's in South America with him trying to help a sick boy.
6. "Better Late than Never" (Robyn Jacobs): Same thing as "Missed It By That Much" but with Robyn.
7. "Someone to Watch Over Me" (Jimmy Barclay): After he hits his head and goes into a coma, Jimmy has several encounters with the mysterious Nagle and the evil Grim. He jumps out of a plane, drives through the jungle, fights pirates, and wins a space battle.
8. "Mayor for a Day" (Curt Stevens): Curt dreams that he wins the "Mayor for a Day" contest and ends up allowing the ACME Chemical company to tear down Whit's End. He then changes it so they take over an old animal hospital instead.
9. "The 'No' Factor" (Connie Kendall): At the end of the montage (which isn't actually a dream), June wakes Connie up. Connie had just been dreaming about that montage.
10. "Wonderworld" (Lawrence Hodges and Jimmy Barclay): Lawrence pulls Jimmy into several daydreams: escaping the sirens, battling someone as Robin Hood, pouring water on Gorgonzola (Donna), and taming the elephant Ongowa.
11. "A Class Act" (Edwin Blackgaard): Edwin says "To be, or not to be!" to thunderous applause, only to realize that he is daydreaming.
12. "The Mortal Coil, Part 2" (John Whittaker): Whit, still recovering from his shock in the Imagination Station, sees his wife Jenny and son Jerry as a glimpse of Heaven. (Meanwhile, Eugene goes to Hell.)
13. "Our Father" (Lawrence Hodges): Lawrence has several daydreams: piloting a submarine through the heart of the President (resulting in him spamming the Barclay's doorbell), creating Devonstein (who turns out to be Rusty Gordon), and actually sniping the Barclay's flowerpots.
14. "Our Daily Bread" (George Barclay): George dreams that after he loses his job, he ends up having to hunt squirrels in the park while Mary irons 200 shirts and Jimmy and Donna beg for $5.
15. "Forever... Amen" (Danny Schmidt): Danny dreams about his sister, who his mother lost to a miscarriage.
16. "The Boy Who Cried 'Destructo!'" (Lawrence Hodges): Lawrence daydreams that he is trying to escape Destructo while Eugene is performing an experiment. He doesn't escape.
17. "Making the Grade" (Lawrence Hodges): Lawrence daydreams that he invents an invisibility potion to hide him from his mom in the closet.
18. "The Secret Keys of Discipline" (Danny Schmidt): While on his way to Whit's End with his mom, Danny daydreams what it would be like to play piano on "Star Surge."
19. "Welcome Home, Mr. Blackgaard" (Edwin Blackgaard): Edwin dreams that when he returns to Odyssey, John Q. Public mobilizes the town to cover him in tar and feathers, turning him into a chicken.
20. "Solitary Refinement" (Eugene Meltsner): Eugene dreams twice that Katrina is with him, consoling him and allowing him to process his emotions.
21. "It's a Pokenberry Christmas, Part 2" (George Barclay): After George hits his head in the river in Pokenberry Falls, he has a dream about what it would be like if he never became a pastor.
22. "Bethany's Flood" (Bethany Shepard): Bethany falls asleep listening to the story of Noah's ark and imagines what it would be like if everything were utterly ridiculous.
23. "The Seven Deadly Dwarves" (Bethany Shepard): Bethany falls asleep on the way back from church and imagines the story of Snow White told with the seven deadly sins instead.
24. "Called on in Class" (Trent DeWhite): Trent daydreams several times: to imagine tragedies such as the ceiling caving in or him passing out, to envision Mrs. Nietchu as a Nazi, and three or four times to remember his great-grandfather Abel McAlister.
25. "A New Era, Part 2" (Leonard Meltsner): While comatose from kidney failure, Leonard remembers when Eugene destroyed the Meltsner bathtub while trying to invent a new cleaning agent.
26. "Here Am I" (Connie Kendall): Connie has a vision of Isaiah 6, which leads to another dream of Whit's new invention, the Interactive Kids' Radio. She eventually gets kidnapped by Satan and Whit saves her by beating up her captors.
27. "The Inspiration Station, Part 2" [ALBUM VERSION ONLY] (Connie Kendall): Connie struggles to stay asleep one night as she dreams about an endless number of kids asking her to clean up things at Whit's End.
28. "Push the Red Button" (Wooton Bassett): Wooton recounts an entire dream he had to Whit, Connie, Penny, and Matthew, which involves the merging of the Kids' Radio Studio and the Imagination Station, which eventually results in the destruction of everything true, good, and beautiful in the whole world. And eventually everything when Matthew kicks the Whit's End computer.
29. "A Predicament of Biblical Proportions" (Buddy Norman): Okay, so Buddy's an easy target, but anyway... he has a bunch of daydreams: the kids at school laughing at him, Dion becoming an outlaw, Emily as a... I don't know what, Miss Adelaide as the Queen of Hearts, and Whit as "Willy Wonky."
30. "Have a Heart" (Buddy Norman): Several daydreams: Dion working for the CIA, Harvey the Geico gecko and Kermit the dissected frog talking to each other about taking Buddy's heart, and a mad scientist creating a Frankenstein's monster out of Buddy.
31. "Your Honest Opinion, Please" (Wooton Bassett): Wooton daydreams about his Great Uncle Hilbert haunting him through a clown painting.
32. "Sir Buddy's Snowy Day" (Buddy Norman): Several daydreams: Olivia as a fair lady (twice), Alex Jefferson as a young squire trying to best Gumper's Hill, and what reaction Zoe would have to Jay showing up at her house.
33. "Walk Worthy" (Buddy Norman): Buddy daydreams himself alongside Space Captain Spiff, but keeps failing (by dropping his tether or by just giving up).
34. "The Rydell Revelations, Part 3" (Emily Jones): Emily dreams that Whit sides with Morrie and downplays her trauma from the escape room.

hA hA

Shall we go again?
Bananareader
Caramel Crunch

You got 33 of those answers correct. Here's my question for you what was Opportunity Knocks episode's original airdate?
Scientific Guy
Cookies & Creme

Bananareader wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:35 am
You got 33 of those answers correct. Here's my question for you what was Opportunity Knocks episode's original airdate?
That would have been October 2000 if I’m remembering it correctly. I don’t have the exact airdate memorized.