"Old Tricks"

Grab your AIO albums, and find a table! What makes your favorite episode the best? Have an episode you really dislike? This is the place to review and discuss AIO episodes and albums.
PennyBassett
Fudge Marble

"Old Tricks"

Oh. My. Gosh. Please, if you have the OAC go right now and listen to this episode. Now. Those of you who have listened to it, what did you think?! (I'm pretty sure I've listened to it 8 or 9 times since I first heard it at 11 last night.
"Let me get this straight. I bet all those non-friends of yours try to embarrass you about your love for that stuff, right? So, you almost feel like you have to hide your treasures away and can only take them out in secret on rainy days when your mom goes to the store to get more liver and nobody is around to berate your sensitive spirit. Is that what you’re saying?" -Jay Smouse
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

I haven't heard the whole thing yet, but so far it's really sweet. I love character and relationship development eps, and anything involving the Meltsners is guaranteed to be good.
it's not about 'deserve'. it's about what you believe. and i believe in love
PennyBassett
Fudge Marble

So true. Listen to the whole thing, the end is fantasticlly written.
"Let me get this straight. I bet all those non-friends of yours try to embarrass you about your love for that stuff, right? So, you almost feel like you have to hide your treasures away and can only take them out in secret on rainy days when your mom goes to the store to get more liver and nobody is around to berate your sensitive spirit. Is that what you’re saying?" -Jay Smouse
Tarol
Peach Cobbler

This episode made me cringe. First off, the plot was very contrived "Oh oops, I never hung up the phone!" :roll: (not saying other episodes haven't been contrived, but that doesn't excuse this episode). And then, they don't even explain that whole "Buck listening to the telephone" part. So, he got Eugene his job because he thought Eugene hates him? The acting was also bugged me for some reason. Maybe it's because I don't like how Audrey Wasilewski yells... but something about Buck, Katrina (and even Eugene) seemed a bit "off." I haven't been much a fan of post-GRC Buck, so that might have been my issue too. ALSO, I wasn't really looking forward to this episode because I expected it to just be an episode for the fangirls (both genders included ;) ) to say "AWWW IT'S BUCK HE'S SO CUTE" and the episode would be pretty meh. SO, it might have just been I wanted this episode to be bad and I heard it that way.

... :wacky:
xo eht haiasi-
PennyBassett
Fudge Marble

Ya I noticed those things too. Another little mistake was that Katrina told Buck she would talk to Eugene about getting Buck a phone but he already has a phone. That killed me. Something to note is that Robby's voice is changing a little since he's obviously growing faster than Buck so his character doesn't feel quite the same. Paul was also the one who wrote TTTB so he knows Buck's character better than Nathan and Bob. As far as Eugene and Katrina's characters it make since that they would act different because we haven't seen them in that kind of position and authority. We've never heard Eugene disappointed in someone he has authority over and we've never seen Katrina angry at her son for doing wrong things because we simply haven't seen it happen. So it's very possible that that's the way they act when disciplining Buck, and frankly, I'm ok with that.
Doll
Rainbow Sherbet

I totally guessed that Buck would hear what Eugene said about him. Completely guessed it. I liked the interactions between Katrina and Buck and Eugene, but it wasn't my favorite.

As far as Buck having a phone, we know he had one before, but is it possible it was taken away from him while he was in JD, and he hadn't gotten one again?
~Queen Belle of Altanovia, Knight of Montreal & Order of Aristotle, Benevolent Dictator, Catspaw of the SS, & Dan's couch troll~
~"I’ve always found you to be a good person to disagree with." - Eleventh Doctor~
Didi
Cookies & Creme

I LOVED IT! Of course I pretty much like everything Buck is in but it was a pretty good episode. I also guessed that Buck would hear what Eugene said, especially after Connie said "what was that, oh I guess I forgot to press the button" or something. But when he listened to it, I kind of thought sometime later in the episode either Eugene, Conni, or Katrina would find out that Buck heard it. But that didn't happen so...
"I was born with white vans on"
"Vans weren't even popular when you were born"
K.R.E.
PennyBassett
Fudge Marble

Ya that was a little strange. I still loved it tho. I listen to at least once a day I love it so much.
Didi
Cookies & Creme

*sighs* Buck Oliver needs to be a new main character. Like Connie and Eugene, he starts working at Whit's End and becomes loved by everyone.
K.R.E.
PennyBassett
Fudge Marble

Hm, interesting idea. What would he do if he worked there? I'm really against it, I'm just wondering what you'd invison for that.
Didi
Cookies & Creme

PennyBassett wrote:Hm, interesting idea. What would he do if he worked there? I'm really against it, I'm just wondering what you'd invison for that.
I guess I'm just such a big Buck Oliver fan that I'm thinking up crazy ideas for him to be and do and say extremely important things. Buck 4ever
K.R.E.
Doll
Rainbow Sherbet

PennyBassett wrote:Hm, interesting idea. What would he do if he worked there? I'm really against it, I'm just wondering what you'd invison for that.
Um, didn't he already work there once?
~Queen Belle of Altanovia, Knight of Montreal & Order of Aristotle, Benevolent Dictator, Catspaw of the SS, & Dan's couch troll~
~"I’ve always found you to be a good person to disagree with." - Eleventh Doctor~
PennyBassett
Fudge Marble

You know, he never really worked there but he was hired and trained. I don't know I guess I just don't know what he would do there. It doesn't seem like his kind of place.
Shadow
Peach Cobbler

Best episode since A Most Extraordinary Conclusion. There. I said it.

-- Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:11 pm --

I'm Monty Whittaker's greatest fan. member of the K.R.E
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
PennyBassett
Fudge Marble

Belle wrote:
As far as Buck having a phone, we know he had one before but is it possible it was taken away from him while he was in JD, and he hadn't gotten one again?
That would make since but he actually had a phone in TTTB. When Eugene and Katrina came home the night Buck was beaten up Katrina says, "Sorry we were late, I tried to call you." and Buck answers, "Sorry, the ringer on my phone was turned off." So I'm not really sure why (since it would make sense that they would take it from him when he went into JD.) so I'm going to say that he doesn't have a phone. It's just annoying because they can't both be right! And they're so close together! And as someone who writes about Buck for a living, it makes my job really difficult sometimes.

-- Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:13 pm --
Alex Jefferson wrote:Best episode since A Most Extraordinary Conclusion. There. I said it.

-- Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:11 pm --

Wow. Yeah, that may very well be true.