Album 71

Hidden in all this dust lies the hypothesis of many AIO fans. What do you feel is sure to happen, and what should stay buried? Chris says keep listening, we say speculate.
Polehaus53
Cookies & Creme

Album 71

I found the title, summary, and episode order, and themes for album 71 on Amazon!

The title is
A Slippery Slope
The summary is
In A Slippery Slope, album #71 of the series, a girl loses her faith and walks through the process of seeing if she can ever find it again. Each of the six episodes conveys a strong moral theme
Here are the episodes in it:
1. “The Team”―Teamwork
2. “Please Adjust Your Frequency”―Pride
3. “Higher than Our Ways”―Grief
4. “Triple-Decker Sundae”―Faith
5. “Set a Watchman”―Friendship
6. “Worth It”―God’s Way
The album will be released on
October 5, 2021 on CD and this summer in the Adventures in Odyssey Club.
What are your thoughts? Any theories about this album and its episodes?
-Signed, PolehausFifty-three

Member of The Emily Rules Klub (est. 2012)

“We have it translated in every language: (กฎของเอมิลี่, Emily es la mejor, 艾米莉规则, Emily Quy tắc!, エミリーは最高です, emilyyay ulesray!, Эмили Правила!, Emily é a melhor, एमिली नियम!, Emily est la meilleure!, إميلي هي الأفضل!, Emily Kuralları!, אמילי שולטת!, Emily Regeln!, 에밀리 담당!, Si Emily ang pinakamahusay!, എമിലി രാജ്ഞിയാണ്!, એમિલી નિયમો!) that Emily RULES!”~The E.R.K.
cheesesoup123
Chocolate Chip

Oooo, I can't wait. I believe it's emily who loses her faith, idk
Read my fan fiction
\:D/ \:D/ :yes: :yes: \:D/ \:D/ :wacky:
Peachey Keen
Caramel Crunch

It's interesting that the only story mentioned is about a girl losing her faith. I wonder if that is continued throughout the whole album or just the first episode (The Team). I'm sure there will be a more detailed album summary closer to the release date.
MasterLink4eva
Strawberry
Location: The Warner Bros. Water Tower with Yakko, Wakko, and Dot.

Why is it that other un-odyssey websites already have info on unreleased albums?!?!
Wooton: Penny?
Penny: Yes?
Wooton: Will you marry me?
Penny: *gasp* WHAAAAAAAT?!?!?! O.o
THIS MOMENT MEANT THE WORLD TO ME :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:
I love Rueben :)
MonkeyDude
Cookies & Creme

I'm glad we have some confirmation on the direction this album will be taking! In the past, the early descriptions have been never been set in stone but either way, I'm excited!
*Finger guns aggressively*
Polehaus53
Cookies & Creme

cheesesoup123 wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:34 pm
I believe it's emily who loses her faith
Yep, it's definitely going to be Emily. This will be an interesting storyline to hear.
Peachey Keen wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:01 pm
It's interesting that the only story mentioned is about a girl losing her faith. I wonder if that is continued throughout the whole album or just the first episode (The Team).
If it is continued throughout the whole album, I wonder if it will be like a six-part album, similar to Darkness Before Dawn. That would be interesting. Although I'm not sure if I'd want the whole album centering it around that one storyline. I would want to see other storylines with different characters in the episodes.

I predict that the cover art will feature Emily, Morrie, and Suzu. :yes:

“We have it translated in every language: (กฎของเอมิลี่, Emily es la mejor, 艾米莉规则, Emily Quy tắc!, エミリーは最高です, emilyyay ulesray!, Эмили Правила!, Emily é a melhor, एमिली नियम!, Emily est la meilleure!, إميلي هي الأفضل!, Emily Kuralları!, אמילי שולטת!, Emily Regeln!, 에밀리 담당!, Si Emily ang pinakamahusay!, എമിലി രാജ്ഞിയാണ്!, એમિલી નિયમો!) that Emily RULES!”~The E.R.K.
Monica Stone
Caramel Crunch

Man. I was not expecting to already be getting the "certain character loses her faith" arc so soon but it makes sense. I'm hoping desperately it'll be fulfilling & well-done because, I mean, THE POTENTIAL. This could be some really good, hard-hitting stuff. It all comes down to execution.

All of the episode titles & themes intrigue me greatly.
Polehaus53 wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:14 pm
If it is continued throughout the whole album, I wonder if it will be like a six-part album, similar to Darkness Before Dawn. That would be interesting. Although I'm not sure if I'd want the whole album centering it around that one storyline. I would want to see other storylines with different characters in the episodes.

While I would personally enjoy an entire album dedicated to Emily, her struggles, & overall character, that probably wouldn't be a thing most fans would want out of an album, nor a decision the Odyssey team would make. But I'd love it if this album was somehow loosely tied together. This album seems very set on pushing that it'll focus on the morals so I would enjoy it if these episodes thematically tied themselves to each other.

For the heck of it, I'm guessing to make predictions for some elements of each episode.

1. "The Team": The only episode on the list where the story is so blatantly obvious it feels like I'm wasting space guessing anything about it. It's obviously picking up on the last album's "cliffhanger" and will continue the Rydells & Emily & probably Whit (oh no!).

2. "Please Adjust Your Frequency": This might be a basic guess, but I'm going to assume this will involve Kids' Radio in some capacity.

3. "Higher Than Our Ways": Grandma Lucia dies. No idk, the theme is grief. The title sounds dramatic/potentially sad. I could see this being a Perkins family episode.

4. "Triple-Decker Sundae": The theme is faith so this will likely be a continuation of Emily's story.

5. "Set a Watchman": Hello, this title has me confused?? I'm not sure what to make of it. What do you guys think? The theme is friendship.

6. "Worth It": This is the finale, so they probably want to end it on a dramatic note. Another Emily episode perhaps. The description emphasizes only her story, so I feel it would be odd if we had one episode dedicated to her dynamic with Morrie & Suzu ("The Team") and only one about her faith. Maybe if she's questioning God, the theme "God's way" could apply. If not Emily, then I will guess randomly we'll see the Calhouns in this episode. No particular reason, just a guess.

Other than the obvious, what characters & stories would you like to see this album?? I'd love to discuss!
Be the reason someone smiles today.
ASmouseInTheHouse
Cookies & Creme

I would be really excited if this was a six-part album that focused on Emily, sort of like Album 59 did for Wooton and Penny: There might be other storylines going on, but the main story will be about Emily.

Keeping in with that theory, I would guess the following about some of the episodes:

Higher Than Our Ways - Hm, the theme is grief. This is a ridiculous theory, but I'll guess that the Parker family is moving and Emily has to deal with that. I wouldn't mind that happening because if Odyssey is phasing out the Parkers, they might as well have a proper send-off.

Triple-Decker Sundae - Triple, eh? Emily, Morrie, Suzu. Sundae? Emily, Morrie, and Suzu going to/talking about church. Or something to do with Sunday. I have no idea. :?

Set a Watchman - I really don't know who this episode would involve, but I will take a wild guess about the title. In the Bible, in Ezekiel 33, the first paragraph talks about the watchman. In short, it says that the watchman warns people of danger. If someone doesn't listen to the warning, it's their fault if they suffer. If the watchman sees danger and does not warn the people, then he is at fault for whatever happens. So maybe the plot has to do with this? I could be wrong.
"Next up, Mark Morgan's message to all math maniacs in the middle school is meaningful if you mingle by the mezzanine for a momentous mix of methodological mayhem and a menagerie of multiplicative inversions. Ha ha ha! I bet I could say this backwards. Inversions multiplicative of menagerie a and mayhem methodological..."
Bren
Cookie Dough
Cookie Dough

The loss of faith angle should be interesting if for no other reason than to see how it is tackled. I can remember 2 times in particular this type of thing has happened. They tackled it once with Jessie and Harlow, which was kind of lighthearted. Years later they kinda did it with Mandy during her parents split but went so far as changing a title from Fall From Grace to Only By His Grace because of the theological implications. So I'm curious to see where it goes.
MasterLink4eva
Strawberry
Location: The Warner Bros. Water Tower with Yakko, Wakko, and Dot.

So I've been thinking about the “Higher than Our Ways” and how it's about grief. I thought maybe the Parkers could move or their Grandma could die like previously mentioned, but I feel like they would do a multiple-parter instead of one big episode. Plus, they'd probably stick a big event like that at the end of an episode or do a big send-off for the Parkers if they moved as they did with the Barclays because they are one of AIO's second generation's biggest family guys, they deserve more than one episode.

Maybe instead of someone or something dying, maybe we'll remember a past deceased Odyssey character. I doubt it'll be Tom since, in the last Q n A, Phil Lollar said that the team is not planning to do a flashback episode anytime soon. So maybe we'll learn that like Wilson has a deceased daughter or we'll remember Jerry Whittaker once more. Maybe even we'll get some news that Eugene's mother gave him an inheritance or whatever.

Either way, I'm really excited and I just love and admire the ways that Odyssey and Focus deal with just the hardest of topics and present them to kids in a fun, sometimes comedic, but serious and meaningful way. They seriously made me cry when I listened to the episode where Connie's mom died. So come at me Odyssey! I'm ready for you.
Wooton: Penny?
Penny: Yes?
Wooton: Will you marry me?
Penny: *gasp* WHAAAAAAAT?!?!?! O.o
THIS MOMENT MEANT THE WORLD TO ME :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:
I love Rueben :)
Polehaus53
Cookies & Creme

Bren wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:29 am
The loss of faith angle should be interesting if for no other reason than to see how it is tackled. I can remember 2 times in particular this type of thing has happened. They tackled it once with Jessie and Harlow, which was kind of lighthearted. Years later they kinda did it with Mandy during her parents split but went so far as changing a title from Fall From Grace to Only By His Grace because of the theological implications. So I'm curious to see where it goes.
Yep, this is a good point. I am interested in how it is handled, especially with any potential theological controversies.

I’m going to assume Emily doesn’t lose her faith right away. I think the episodes before “Triple Decker Sundae” will show the events leading up to it, and the episode “Triple Decker Sundae”, since it has the theme of faith, will be the main event where Emily loses her faith; the next three episodes will be about her getting it back.
I also think the episode, “Higher than Our Ways”, since it has the theme of grief, will feature some event which will ultimately be the act that causes Emily to lose her faith in the episode that comes next, “Triple Decker Sundae”. I bet Morrie and Suzu will do something to her that will be or lead up to the cause that Emily loses her faith.
Monica Stone wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:06 pm
Other than the obvious, what characters & stories would you like to see this album?? I'd love to discuss!
I would want to see some Jason and Jillian episodes. I do not like the thought of two of them together, but I am interested in seeing what the Odyssey team is planning to do with them.

I'd also like to hear from the Calhoun family. We've been hearing a lot of the Perkins family lately; it would be nice to hear from the Calhouns. Specifically Cooper's brother, Trey Calhoun. Trey has a section in Clubhouse Magazine, but he hasn't appeared in many episodes.

Also, on a side note, the last time a Kids' Radio episode was in a mainstream alum was Album 56: The Grand Design. I would like it if some Kids' Radio episodes appeared more in the actual albums rather than only in the Adventures in Odyssey Club.

Monica Stone
Caramel Crunch

MasterLink4eva wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:12 pm
Either way, I'm really excited and I just love and admire the ways that Odyssey and Focus deal with just the hardest of topics and present them to kids in a fun, sometimes comedic, but serious and meaningful way. They seriously made me cry when I listened to the episode where Connie's mom died. So come at me Odyssey! I'm ready for you.
I agree! Also Emily's speech at the end of LCTOWTO already made me tear up and that's only the beginning. There will likely be more tears shed as they deal with these tough stories. And "Life Expectancy" makes me cry too. :cry: I'm excited and nervous to hear them deal with more difficult topics.
ASmouseInTheHouse wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:10 pm
Set a Watchman - I really don't know who this episode would involve, but I will take a wild guess about the title. In the Bible, in Ezekiel 33, the first paragraph talks about the watchman. In short, it says that the watchman warns people of danger. If someone doesn't listen to the warning, it's their fault if they suffer. If the watchman sees danger and does not warn the people, then he is at fault for whatever happens. So maybe the plot has to do with this? I could be wrong.
Great connection! Perhaps. That's really solid. If you're correct, I will award you a gold star on the inevitable thread upon the episode's release.
Polehaus53 wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:58 pm
I'd also like to hear from the Calhoun family. We've been hearing a lot of the Perkins family lately; it would be nice to hear from the Calhouns. Specifically Cooper's brother, Trey Calhoun. Trey has a section in Clubhouse Magazine, but he hasn't appeared in many episodes.
Yes!! I really liked them and we haven't heard from them in awhile! They were kinda promoted to be one of the new families along with the Perkins, but we've heard significantly less from them than the Perkins. I'd like to hear an episode that involves the entire family so we can get a better look of how they work off each other and how they get along. I think Kathy Buchanan was probably writing most of their episodes but she hasn't been writing too many episodes recently so maybe that's why we haven't heard from them in awhile.
Polehaus53 wrote:
I’m going to assume Emily doesn’t lose her faith right away. I think the episodes before “Triple Decker Sundae” will show the events leading up to it, and the episode “Triple Decker Sundae”, since it has the theme of faith, will be the main event where Emily loses her faith; the next three episodes will be about her getting it back.
I also think the episode, “Higher than Our Ways”, since it has the theme of grief, will feature some event which will ultimately be the act that causes Emily to lose her faith in the episode that comes next, “Triple Decker Sundae”. I bet Morrie and Suzu will do something to her that will be or lead up to the cause that Emily loses her faith.
I know I did this earlier on the thread, but here are my more up-to-date predictions on the episodes:
  • The Team (teamwork) — obviously involving Emily's story and her relationship with the Rydells (and Whit?). May sow further seeds about her struggles to come.
  • Please Adjust Your Frequency (pride) — probably not about Emily. I don't see her struggling with pride at all at this time and "please adjust your frequency" doesn't hit me as an Emily episode. Could be Rydell-related, though.
  • Higher Than Our Ways (grief) — as you said, could be about Emily. It could have all of Emily's hurt & grief culminate as she can't reconcile the events that have happened to her as something allowed by a good, loving God.
  • Triple-Decker Sundae (faith) — I will actually be surprised if this one isn't about Emily because of theme and Emily's current struggle. 'Nuff said.
  • Set a Watchman (friendship) — The theme is friendship? MATTHEW, COME THROUGH! But seriously, "friendship" is such a vague theme, it's hard to guess. Love ASmouseInTheHouse's theory and connections regarding Ezekiel 33, though! It makes a ton of sense. It will probably be a break from the Emily story, though.
  • Worth It (God's way) — have no idea how long Emily's faith struggle will last, but this sounds like an episode that would involve Emily either discovering or being unable to discover God's way (as the theme suggests).
*sigh* The more time passes, the more I hope this album will focus almost exclusively on Emily's struggle. This is the kind of story that deserves like four out of the six episodes on this album. It'll probably not happen, but I can HOPE. I know early album summaries aren't a good way to judge, but the album's brief summary is really hammering home that it'll be about Emily & strong morals. I want multiple episodes of this arc on this album. I dislike the general pacing of Odyssey arcs (the Rydell Saga took an excruciatingly long FOUR years for NINE episodes). #Make12EpisodeAlbumsAgain. They just need to get rid of the exclusive episodes...people will still sign up for the club. They're usually filler that takes up space where we could have story development. Filler isn't bad, but when 50% of your episodes per year are usually inconsequential, I think it can be a bit much. The club has gotten much better & continuity over the years, but it's still frustrating that we could be having two 12-episode albums per year instead of two 6-episode albums per year.
Polehaus53 wrote:
Also, on a side note, the last time a Kids' Radio episode was in a mainstream alum was Album 56: The Grand Design. I would like it if some Kids' Radio episodes appeared more in the actual albums rather than only in the Adventures in Odyssey Club.
I'd agree that I'd want mainstream Kids' Radio episodes if it weren't for the club exclusives. At this point with 6-episode albums, the albums need to have non-filler or the show's pacing will get worse than it already is.

I remember in summer 2019 (I think?) they put out a survey about potential storylines (e.g. "how would you feel if we have a character die, move away, lose their faith, etc.?"). First of all, the survey SPOOKED me. Secondly, it was hard to answer because it was general and not about specific characters, but I wonder if the results at all had any impact on the development of the Emily storyline. I think they said they usually write two years in advance from when the listener hears it and this checks out.
Be the reason someone smiles today.
Polehaus53
Cookies & Creme

The cover art has been revealed on Amazon!
This is very interesting art. Does someone get injured while skiing? Maybe Emily? I'm intrigued!
Polehaus53 wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:14 pm
Well, looks like I was wrong. But hey, it looks like Olivia will be in this album. Maybe the rest of the Parker family will appear. :pray:
Monica Stone wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:07 pm
I remember in summer 2019 (I think?) they put out a survey about potential storylines (e.g. "how would you feel if we have a character die, move away, lose their faith, etc.?"). First of all, the survey SPOOKED me. Secondly, it was hard to answer because it was general and not about specific characters, but I wonder if the results at all had any impact on the development of the Emily storyline.
Yep, I remember that. I mentioned that survey in my post in "The Christmas Bells" topic:
Polehaus53 wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:16 pm
I recall that back in 2019 the AIO team had the fans take an Odyssey Character Survey (link doesn't work anymore, but here it is: https://feedback.focusonthefamily.com/s3/aio-survey), where the fans answered questions about how they would feel about different things happening to the characters. I took the survey and I distinctly remember one of the questions being, “How would you feel if a character were to lose his/her faith?” Remarkably interesting if that’s what they’re planning to do with Emily. I suppose that “I’d be thrilled!”, one of the options for that question, got the most votes?
Seriously, did people really say "I'd be thrilled!" if a character lost their faith? It really would be interesting if this storyline is going to be happening because of those results.
Monica Stone wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:07 pm
#Make12EpisodeAlbumsAgain. They just need to get rid of the exclusive episodes...people will still sign up for the club. They're usually filler that takes up space where we could have story development. Filler isn't bad, but when 50% of your episodes per year are usually inconsequential, I think it can be a bit much. The club has gotten much better & continuity over the years, but it's still frustrating that we could be having two 12-episode albums per year instead of two 6-episode albums per year.
I agree. We need 12-episode albums to come back! Getting rid of the exclusives is one way to do it, but I think there are other solutions. I have a lot of thoughts about the issue of these tiny albums. We should probably make a separate topic about this.

Peachey Keen
Caramel Crunch

I think there are 3 possibilities of who got hurt in the artwork.

1. Emily
Maybe she gets badly hurt (Did Morrie or Suzu push her? Only partly kidding.) and this is the straw that breaks the camel's back, to borrow the colloquialism.
2. Matthew
Maybe Matthew gets badly hurt (or dies) and the loss of Emily's close friend drives her away from God.
3. Barrett
Hear me out on this one. I know we haven't heard from him since Album 57 and the actor for him hasn't been around. However, he could get injured (or die) "offscreen". There would not have to be any lines from Barrett, especially if he is in bad condition. This may be the hardest of the three possibilities for Emily to go through and may be the biggest challenge to her faith.
ASmouseInTheHouse
Cookies & Creme

I am guessing that it's Emily who got injured.
Wilson said in The Christmas Bells that "one of three will fall."
We had been saying that it meant a 'fall' from faith, but what if it's a literal fall?
The group doing the history project was Emily, Zoe, and Olivia.
Zoe and Olivia are looking on in the 71 cover art.
Emily is missing...
(though I don't know why the three of them would be skiing)
"Next up, Mark Morgan's message to all math maniacs in the middle school is meaningful if you mingle by the mezzanine for a momentous mix of methodological mayhem and a menagerie of multiplicative inversions. Ha ha ha! I bet I could say this backwards. Inversions multiplicative of menagerie a and mayhem methodological..."
cheesesoup123
Chocolate Chip

ASmouseInTheHouse wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:50 am
I am guessing that it's Emily who got injured.
Wilson said in The Christmas Bells that "one of three will fall."
We had been saying that it meant a 'fall' from faith, but what if it's a literal fall?
The group doing the history project was Emily, Zoe, and Olivia.
Zoe and Olivia are looking on in the 71 cover art.
Emily is missing...
(though I don't know why the three of them would be skiing)
O.o Good guess, as I said in the ERK, even if they worked together, it's not like they are best friends now. So why would they go skiing?
this could be a wild guess, but if someone Emily was close to was injured, ie. Barrett, her parents, Matthew, it COULD cause her to fall from faith.
What do you all think of the album so far?
Read my fan fiction
\:D/ \:D/ :yes: :yes: \:D/ \:D/ :wacky:
Bananareader
Caramel Crunch

The Team episode is certainly about Emily deciding weather or not to join Rydells team. I keep thinking that the episode title, Please Adjust Your Frequency, which reminds me of a similar line that says please do not adjust your radio, which is only said in twilife zone episodes,which is why I think this could be a Twilife zone episode. I also think that the Triple-Decker Sundae like everybody says is faith so it would make sense to an episode about Emily. an also the Please adjust your Frequency theme is pride so it doesn't seem likely that it would be an episode about Emily.
Last edited by Bananareader on Mon May 17, 2021 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shadow
Peach Cobbler

barret hasn't even shown up since . .like. album 56 (which is dumb but besides the point) why would he get injuired?
I'm Monty Whittaker's greatest fan. member of the K.R.E
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
ASmouseInTheHouse
Cookies & Creme

I just had this thought about the episode 'Triple-Decker Sundae'. What if it is about Wooton and Penny having a baby? I mean, that would make the Bassett family three. And there was something about Wooton's skyscraper ice cream cone or sundae or something in 'For The Fun of It'. Don't know how the theme of faith fits in, but oh well... this is just a random theory.
djchatswithu
Cookies & Creme

ASmouseInTheHouse wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:50 pm
I just had this thought about the episode 'Triple-Decker Sundae'. What if it is about Wooton and Penny having a baby? I mean, that would make the Bassett family three. And there was something about Wooton's skyscraper ice cream cone or sundae or something in 'For The Fun of It'. Don't know how the theme of faith fits in, but oh well... this is just a random theory.
As much as some people would love the idea, I'd say it's more likely to the name of something similar to the 'train set talk' in the Ties that Bind.