Hypothetically Speaking: Eugene's Death?

Hidden in all this dust lies the hypothesis of many AIO fans. What do you feel is sure to happen, and what should stay buried? Chris says keep listening, we say speculate.
Bren
Cookie Dough
Cookie Dough

Hypothetically Speaking: Eugene's Death?

With the recent passing of Will Ryan, the Odyssey team has some big decisions to make. IF they were to kill the character, how would you do it? I think there could be some great scenes of Whit & others saying goodbye. It would also be interesting to see Katrina have to continue on with Buck. They pulled off Life Expectancy without Maggie Malooly.

Thoughts?
Monica Stone
Caramel Crunch

That would be a really poignant and honest way to deal with the character of Eugene in light of Will Ryan's tragic passing. However I do not think the team will opt for this route. I think what's most likely is a hastily explained "Eugene and Katrina went to Africa with Leonard & Everett for an extended visit/missions trip and Buck is staying with the Calhouns for now" type explanation. It's what I can most likely see happening, but it doesn't make too much sense if Eugene and Katrina would be off the show for potentially years. Unless the plan would be to do that, finish all the story/character arcs going on now, and end the show. They aren't going to get rid of Buck's character easily; he's a fan favorite character and there are still many stories left to tell with him.

They aren't going to recast Eugene...that would be an abomination. They tried before for that voicemail at the end of Novacom but realized that it wasn't even an option; Will Ryan makes the character.

Going forward, if the show wants longevity for more than a few years (keeping Buck as a regular), to me it would only make sense to have a Life Expectancy type episode to honor the life of Eugene and explain he died for some reason "off air". But that would be probably the hardest thing the Odyssey team could ever possibly throw at the audience. Even though I'm not in the target demographic, but such an episode would break my heart in a way I didn't think a show ever could and I don't think I could bear to hear it more than once. Eugene is my favorite character.
Be the reason someone smiles today.
PennyBassett
Fudge Marble

It's such a hard thing to think about because honestly, I feel like they should kill off the character. I and a lot of other fans hated the way they said goodbye to Tom as a character. It felt so procrastinated and then rushed. It's not fair to a fanbase to leave them with those uncertain explanations of a character's sudden absence. So however they chose to let the character go, it should be clear and dignified. I think Will deserves that and so do we. The main problem with not killing off a character after their actor's death is that it's really unsatisfying for the fanbase. There are honestly some stunning storylines that could come out of a sudden main character death. Yes, Katrina would have to cope, Buck would have to cope, everyone would have to learn how to exist without this piece of their family, but that's the point. Arguably, the actors deserve that storyline. This can't be like when Hal Smith died. Monica is right there's no replacing Will. Let's think about it for a minute. Because I have a little, and I've got a few ideas. Eugene dies suddenly from cancer. It does happen, and I believe that was the cause of Will Ryan's death. I think they could take voice clips from Will and fit in a brief goodbye before moving onto the characters' grief. That's the other thing. This can't really be about Eugene. We have to rely on our other favorite characters now, so seeing the characters forced to rely on each other will be a much more comforting storyline than a lazy dismissal of a forever fan favorite. Another idea is that Eugene dies suddenly, and very soon after Katrina finds out she's pregnant. Then, if they wanted to remove Katrina and Buck for a little bit, they could have them move in with Katrina's mother for a few months (albums). Eugene's death could prompt Buck to become a Christian. I don't like the idea of emotional manipulation or a fear-based committal to faith, but I trust the Odyssey team could make it a believable storyline at least. This one is a little out there, but another idea I actually had a couple of years ago was that Eugene wants to go into the imagination station for the last days of his life. Because the imagination station operates on a different timeline, it would give him the opportunity to dedicate his final days to research, just inside the machine. Like I said, it's a little out there, but I wouldn't put it past AIO.
However they let him go, I hope it's respectful and satisfying to their audience. I would really hate a rushed explanation. And Katrina and Buck are fan favorites that should be kept around. Is that right? I feel like the Odyssey team thinks people don't like Katrina? But she's one of the best characters on the show and deserves more storylines.
"Let me get this straight. I bet all those non-friends of yours try to embarrass you about your love for that stuff, right? So, you almost feel like you have to hide your treasures away and can only take them out in secret on rainy days when your mom goes to the store to get more liver and nobody is around to berate your sensitive spirit. Is that what you’re saying?" -Jay Smouse
djchatswithu
Cookies & Creme

As I think about this, something keeps coming back to me, Walt Disney and Mickey Mouse. it's said that there would be no Mickey without Walt Disney. Walt bought Mickey to life and shaped his him, pointing out mistakes and things that wouldn't be true to the character. the same thing can be said of Hal Simth and Whit, when Hal died, Paul said you could never replace him and didn't try, he simply played Whit based on his character, rather than Hal. the same can be said of Will and Eugene if the AIO team can find the right person, then I don't believe it's impossible for Eugene to continue. (Katrina also had a change when Pamala left, and that didn't seem right, but Audrey worked out great.)
As Will once said (as Eugene) "Change can help you change, and that can be a good thing." in the end though, everything is in God's hands, and while I'll never forget Will's voice, I'm also a little excited to see what joy God brings out of all this sadness.

In terms of the very last nuclear option of Eugene actually being killed off, here's a few that could work:
1, Eugene dies protecting Katrina or maybe Connie. not because it's 'cliche' but because it would be a good 'full circle' moment for him. we got a hint of this in 'the long end', so it could work.
2. the Chairman DOES actually return, forcing Eugene to face his past, where he ends up making a decision that stops the chairman, but at the cost of his life.
3, Eugene dies extremely suddenly and Katrina, Connie (and Buck) try to figure out how to cope (such as the listeners are).
Tarol
Peach Cobbler

I really appreciate all the comments here. My biggest hesitancy is we've already had a huge death in Life Expantancy. It was three hard, difficult, and powerful episodes. I really can't imagine doing this to Connie again, especially so soon after her Mom and Tom died. Yes, I know in real life tragic deaths aren't magically separated by a few years...but still, I feel like all the mentions of character development from death has already happened in Life Expantancy. But maybe that's just me because album 57 feels recent to me haha.
xo eht haiasi-
PennyBassett
Fudge Marble

I understand where you're coming from, but I would argue that Life Expectancy would make a really good prequel to this kind of episode. The lessons taught in Life Expectancy are really valuable but they aren't the be-all end-all of grief advice. These episodes would also focus on Katrina and Buck more than Connie, but I think her experiences could add to the plot or the character development or something.
"Let me get this straight. I bet all those non-friends of yours try to embarrass you about your love for that stuff, right? So, you almost feel like you have to hide your treasures away and can only take them out in secret on rainy days when your mom goes to the store to get more liver and nobody is around to berate your sensitive spirit. Is that what you’re saying?" -Jay Smouse
Patterson
Strawberry

My opinion is split on what they should do. For one thing, it would be nice to get some closure on the character of Eugene, instead of just disappearing without a word for years like with Bernard and for a long time Tom. But on the other hand, I'm not sure I want the character to actually die in the chance that Focus on the Family finds a voice actor who can do justice for Eugene. I suppose a mission trip or something might work for Eugene's disappearance in the short term maybe 5 years or so, but I'm not sure if just him leaving forever is best.
djchatswithu wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:23 am
As I think about this, something keeps coming back to me, Walt Disney and Mickey Mouse. it's said that there would be no Mickey without Walt Disney. Walt bought Mickey to life and shaped his him, pointing out mistakes and things that wouldn't be true to the character. the same thing can be said of Hal Simth and Whit, when Hal died, Paul said you could never replace him and didn't try, he simply played Whit based on his character, rather than Hal. the same can be said of Will and Eugene if the AIO team can find the right person, then I don't believe it's impossible for Eugene to continue.
I'd like it if they can recast Eugene, but like you said it has to be the right person who can bring some of himself into Eugene, not just a good voice impression.
The idea of a dramatic Novacom style story arc for explaining the disappearance or death of Eugene sounds like a perfect idea. If the story goes on for a few years, that could give Focus a little more time to try to find an actor or decide what they want kill the character. I just wouldn't want the story to completely overshadow the loss of Eugene if he died. If Eugene eventually does die whether soon or after a disappearance, I want the other characters to be given time processing their grief throughout several episodes. When Tom was revealed to have died in Legacy, part one seemed to do alright with characters talking about Tom, but Part two (although the musical was funny) pretty much completely ignored the loss of Tom.
I have another question too. Would Katrina still be legally able to be a foster parent for Buck if Eugene died? Is two foster parents a requirement in most states? I don't know if they adopt Buck in any prerecorded episodes or not, but it's a question if Buck is still in foster care.
djchatswithu
Cookies & Creme

greatkindheartedbush wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:42 pm
When Tom was revealed to have died in Legacy, part one seemed to do alright with characters talking about Tom, but Part two (although the musical was funny) pretty much completely ignored the loss of Tom.
I have another question too. Would Katrina still be legally able to be a foster parent for Buck if Eugene died? Is two foster parents a requirement in most states? I don't know if they adopt Buck in any prerecorded episodes or not, but it's a question if Buck is still in foster care.
I think this is what the team could have done to make Legacy a bit better. by making it a sort of 3 parter. Tom's passing/funeral in part 1, Legacy part 1 becomes part 2, then Legacy part 2 comes a few episodes later as a sperate follow on episode.
Also, the question on whether E/K were to adopt Buck is more of a question of as Buck would have it, as it is up to him who he wants to be with, and after he sort of tried to leave in 'Auto response" that does leave things up in the air, so it could be a long road home before we find out.
Polehaus53
Cookies & Creme

With Album 75 about to be released, we now have somewhat of an idea of what may happen with Eugene.

I typed up a reply to this topic soon after it was created last year, but never posted it. Some of what I said is probably outdated, but here is my response that I wrote:

Will Ryan recorded a number of episodes which are scheduled to be released in 2022, and the AIO Team has confirmed that they won’t be making any decisions or announcements anytime soon. So, I’m guessing it’ll probably be sometime around late 2022 or early 2023 when we hear official word from the AIO Team on what will happen. But until then, I am genuinely curious to know everyone’s opinion on how the show should proceed without Eugene Meltsner. Let us discuss.

I’m thinking that the only two options are that either Eugene dies in the show or moves away. Replacing Eugene is unthinkable and is absolutely not an option.

Interestingly enough, the topic of Eugene leaving the show has been discussed before. In 2013, on The Town of Odyssey Message Boards, a topic was created called Life Without Eugene?, in which the possibility of Eugene being absent from the show is discussed. Back in 2015, our great leader Doll created a topic called What If One of the Main AIO Characters Died?, in which the subject of Eugene passing away is touched on.

Check out this comment that Snubs wrote in that topic.
snubs wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:42 pm
About Eugene (or some other main character) suddenly dying... are you talking about strictly the character? Or the actor dying? If you mean the actor, I think AIO would definitely change... maybe even come to a purposeful end as a whole. And if the actor did pass away (heaven forbid not any time soon), I somehow doubt they would write it into the story. I mean, that would be veryyy deep and totally heartbreaking for fans to hear. It would just make the whole feel of that episode very dark and sad.

This is probably the absolute worst possibility, and I’m hoping it doesn’t happen, but I’m wondering if Adventures in Odyssey may be coming to an end, as Snubs mentioned here. The end of Odyssey is not a topic I like to think about, but on the few instances I have thought about it, I have thought that it’s not going to be the unavailability of Andre Stojka that’s going to end the show, it’s probably going to be the death of Chris or Katie or Will, since they have been just about the only consistent characters in Odyssey, unlike Whit, who has been played by three different actors. Any change made with them will be extremely drastic and will change the way Adventures in Odyssey functions. But that’s just a thought I had; I don’t think this will happen just yet. I believe the show can function without Eugene, since I feel like apart from episodes about his relationship with Buck, he hasn’t been playing a very central role in Odyssey lately. No extremely large storylines are left hanging, as far as I know.

I’m not sure if the AIO Team will write an episode about Eugene’s death, although it is an excellent opportunity for character development. I think there are several ways they can pull this off. Having him die on the show would make quite an interesting storyline. Episodes about Whit, Connie, Katrina, and Buck dealing with his death would be interesting. I'm sure everyone else will stick around.

The other option is to have him move away. Perhaps they will release "The End of An Era" for a send-off for Eugene, or at least use lines from it. Just a thought. Not sure how I'd feel about that.

Whatever the case may be, this is a good chance for Renee Carter, who is extremely similar in character to Eugene, to (finally) stop appearing in only AIO Club-exclusive episodes become more central to the show.

Edit: Soon after I typed up this message, AIO Update released a thought-provoking article about the different options of what to do about Eugene Meltsner. Be sure to check it out here.
-Signed, PolehausFifty-three

Member of The Emily Rules Klub (est. 2012)

“We have it translated in every language: (กฎของเอมิลี่, Emily es la mejor, 艾米莉规则, Emily Quy tắc!, エミリーは最高です, emilyyay ulesray!, Эмили Правила!, Emily é a melhor, एमिली नियम!, Emily est la meilleure!, إميلي هي الأفضل!, Emily Kuralları!, אמילי שולטת!, Emily Regeln!, 에밀리 담당!, Si Emily ang pinakamahusay!, എമിലി രാജ്ഞിയാണ്!, એમિલી નિયમો!) that Emily RULES!”~The E.R.K.
djchatswithu
Cookies & Creme

I did write something just after they revealed Album 75 and while I won't go into that here, they may use some of the unused stuff from 'End of an Era" as Bernard is seemingly on the cover. We also know that Buck will stay as Robbie and Shone revealed they recorded a song for an upcoming episode. Also I would go nuts and/or cry if they used this:
Connie: "(so, Eugene) you wanna say goodbye?"
Eugene: "Not Goodbye, (Miss Kendall) See you soon."