Triple Decker Sundae

Grab your AIO albums, and find a table! What makes your favorite episode the best? Have an episode you really dislike? This is the place to review and discuss AIO episodes and albums.
cheesesoup123
Chocolate Chip

Triple Decker Sundae

Honestly, I was disappointed. Olivia destroyed her friendship with her best friend and was overall kind of immature. I also was mind blown by the fact that she’s still 12. huh? I know a lot of people would say that olivia was just acting this way because she was losing her faith, but this kind of happened so suddenly and yelled at zoe even tho zoe already did so much 4 her
Discuss!
Read my fan fiction
\:D/ \:D/ :yes: :yes: \:D/ \:D/ :wacky:
ASmouseInTheHouse
Cookies & Creme

Well, I have some things to say about this episode.
First off, the title had nothing to do with any threesome in the episode. Oh well. I don't know if it's just me, but I imagine it would be hard to eat so much ice cream.

So, this was mostly Olivia talking/arguing with herself. Which I'm perfectly fine with. The way that 'herself' was split into the Leonid dude was clever. It gave a means by which to explore her thoughts. I did find his food thing a bit weird, though...
cheesesoup123 wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:20 pm
I also was mind blown by the fact that she’s still 12. huh?
Same here. I don't even want to think about how old that makes Matthew and Camilla -- too late, I just did. :mad:
cheesesoup123 wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:20 pm
Honestly, I was disappointed. Olivia destroyed her friendship with her best friend and was overall kind of immature.
Olivia ditching Zoe makes perfect sense in Olivia's mindset. Olivia doesn't want her struggles to be front-page news. Even if Zoe was trying to help, her help is like a betrayal to Olivia because Zoe promised not to tell anyone. On the other hand, Zoe didn't even want to let Wilson know it was Olivia. She started by saying she needed advice about 'a friend'. But since Wilson already knew, she didn't bother playing dumb anymore. So yeah, it was immature of Olivia to storm off without hearing the whole explanation, but at first glance (what she saw), Zoe looked like a traitor. But I don't know if I agree that Olivia was immature through the whole episode.
(it also may be worth mentioning that this isn't the first time Olivia has broken up her friendship with Zoe)

Something to note: At the end, Wilson says that he hoped Olivia giving her testimony would help her with her doubts. And Olivia said that he asked he 'three weeks ago'. I really don't think three weeks have passed after Higher Than Our Ways, but Wilson's line later on is a bit confusing.

I did like this episode. There are important questions scattered throughout that would be good for listeners to think about. As for Olivia and Zoe, I have a feeling the next episode, Set a Watchman, will deal with the problem of their friendship. Hence the theme, friendship./spoiler]
"Next up, Mark Morgan's message to all math maniacs in the middle school is meaningful if you mingle by the mezzanine for a momentous mix of methodological mayhem and a menagerie of multiplicative inversions. Ha ha ha! I bet I could say this backwards. Inversions multiplicative of menagerie a and mayhem methodological..."
Polehaus53
Cookies & Creme

I've been having some account problems, but I guess it's fixed now. Here's the message I wrote before "Set A Watchman" was released:

Ah, yes. “Triple-Decker Sundae”. Here are my thoughts:
Should have figured that it would involve a triple-decker sundae.

It’s interesting how Olivia is talking to the Leonid philosopher throughout the episode. I guess his thoughts and questions are representing the things that Olivia researched about him and is trying to argue with them in her head. This was a very unique way to do it, and I liked it! I also found it funny how he kept asking for Olivia’s food. :lol:

Interestingly enough, I tried looking up Leonid Sebanov (or however you spell his name) to see if he was a real person and couldn’t find anything. It seems as though the AIO Team made up a historical character. I wonder if they did that so that the listeners wouldn’t research a real atheist and get ideas.

Overall, I thought it was good! The topics they are dealing with in this whole Olivia-losing-her-faith arc are very relevant in today’s world. I applaud the AIO Team for it. :clap:

“Set a Watchman” releases next. I’m interested in seeing what it holds!

I predict that the next episode will begin with Olivia throwing up and learning about the sin of gluttony.\:D/ :anxious:
Next episode releases on the Club tomorrow! :mad: \:D/
-Signed, PolehausFifty-three

Member of The Emily Rules Klub (est. 2012)

“We have it translated in every language: (กฎของเอมิลี่, Emily es la mejor, 艾米莉规则, Emily Quy tắc!, エミリーは最高です, emilyyay ulesray!, Эмили Правила!, Emily é a melhor, एमिली नियम!, Emily est la meilleure!, إميلي هي الأفضل!, Emily Kuralları!, אמילי שולטת!, Emily Regeln!, 에밀리 담당!, Si Emily ang pinakamahusay!, എമിലി രാജ്ഞിയാണ്!, એમિલી નિયમો!) that Emily RULES!”~The E.R.K.
Patterson
Strawberry

Polehaus53 wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:19 am
It’s interesting how Olivia is talking to the Leonid philosopher throughout the episode. I guess his thoughts and questions are representing the things that Olivia researched about him and is trying to argue with them in her head. This was a very unique way to do it, and I liked it! I also found it funny how he kept asking for Olivia’s food. :lol:
Leonid honestly made me think about Trent's imaginary friends from Called on in Class and The Future Long Ago. Would Colimbo or Arnold Schwartzenbanger be more effective in swaying Olivia? To think like Leonid, you've flex like Leonid!!! With his preoccupation with food would Leonid ever offer Olivia a jello pudding pop? Some things leonid said also kind of reminded me Dr. Blackguard's manipulation of Aubrey in the Blackguard's Revenge episode. I wonder if any of that was intentional?
Polehaus53 wrote:
Interestingly enough, I tried looking up Leonid Sebanov (or however you spell his name) to see if he was a real person and couldn’t find anything. It seems as though the AIO Team made up a historical character. I wonder if they did that so that the listeners wouldn’t research a real atheist and get ideas.
Yeah. I did find a Leonid Sobinov who was a russian opera singer though.
Polehaus53 wrote:
I predict that the next episode will begin with Olivia throwing up and learning about the sin of gluttony.\:D/ :anxious:
:lol: She needs to have a dream about the 7 deadly dwarves. :wacky:
This episode was great. I'm glad AiO's finally going into some tough topics too.
Bob
Caramel Crunch

I haven't listened to an Odyssey episode in months, but hearing about Olivia's story arc, and being in a less than perfect mood, persuaded me to try it.

It's a shame AIO has its controversies nowadays, because I thought this was one of the best episodes I've heard in a long while, and I expect the others in the series to generally meet the same standard.

In Aria Curzon's last major story as Mandy - before, even when Mandy was having 'the worst day ever', there was always an inherent brightness and vibrancy behind the surface, waiting to come back out. The thing that probably strikes me most about the performance in the last arc is how that seemed to be completely gone. Kelly Stables' Olivia is portrayed very similarly here. Curiously, the most familiar side of her we see is probably in the scene where she's screaming and having another falling out with Zoe. Olivia angry and jumping to consequences and 'a little dramatic' has come up before, after all, even if it's not a side we like to see, and even if it is more intense here than it has ever been before. But most of the time, she comes off as numb, which is an entirely new Olivia to most of us. When you've experienced these feelings in your own life, you can definitely relate. I'm a big fan of Kelly Stables on AIO and this episode helps confirm what I've always thought, that she's at her best when they give her a meatier role.

There are a lot of questions that get raised in this episode, and it definitely deserved a parental notice. I think everyone who's probably posting here has had similar experiences, in that they have doubts about things they've believed for a long time, and couldn't immediately answer the questions in their mind. Often, if you're able to sit down and honestly ask someone else, they can help you figure it out. That's also usually the last thing that you want to do.

This is a big arc for Zoe too, her biggest to date. In a way it can be said to be hers as much as Olivia's. I appreciate the mindset that would inspire someone to go the extra mile to prevent their friend from doing something wrong.
A classic never goes out of style.