#906: Unrelatable

Grab your AIO albums, and find a table! What makes your favorite episode the best? Have an episode you really dislike? This is the place to review and discuss AIO episodes and albums.
Monica Stone
Caramel Crunch

#906: Unrelatable

"Unrelatable" was released today! What did you think of the new episode?
I loved it.
Be the reason someone smiles today.
MisterCharles
Vanilla

I have to say this episode was NOT what I expected... but still good in its own right.

First of all, I was a little disappointed that the “mysterious caller” was not a previous villain or character in the show. Who even is this guy?

Second, the story seemed slapped together and rushed. I was confused if this was a dark mystery, comedy or emotional show. What was the lesson or purpose of it?

But.... IS JASON IN THE AGENCY? It seems kind of strange that he would just happen to be investigating a case on the internet and contacting the police about his finds. I am kind of hoping this is the beginning of a new story arch, hopefully involving Tasha. 😉

Overall, I’m not sure what to make of this episode but I think we need to hear the rest of the album to make any conclusions.

P.S. do you think Jason could be the “other agent in Osyssey” that Tasha referred to in the Rydell Revalations?
Monica Stone
Caramel Crunch

Hey! Welcome to the Soda Shop! We're glad to have ya join us. :)
MisterCharles wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:16 pm
Second, the story seemed slapped together and rushed. I was confused if this was a dark mystery, comedy or emotional show. What was the lesson or purpose of it?
I didn't think it felt slapped together. I thought the pacing was really good and had enough twists and emotion to keep me deeply invested. This would likely be considered a drama. I thought the theme was excellently done; the theme was not to conform to society and non-Christian norms. Rather, we should try to emulate how society should ideally be. During the first few scenes, Connie was concerned she was losing relatability because she was deemed too unrealistic with her honest, yet sometimes difficult advice. It isn't always easy doing the right thing, and some audience members thought her advice was too difficult and idealistic. By the end, Connie learns through Bradley (or "Spencer") that doing the right thing and holding to your standards is not only good for yourself, but it can deeply affect those around you. I loved it.
MisterCharles wrote:
But.... IS JASON IN THE AGENCY? It seems kind of strange that he would just happen to be investigating a case on the internet and contacting the police about his finds. I am kind of hoping this is the beginning of a new story arch, hopefully involving Tasha. 😉

Overall, I’m not sure what to make of this episode but I think we need to hear the rest of the album to make any conclusions.

P.S. do you think Jason could be the “other agent in Osyssey” that Tasha referred to in the Rydell Revalations?
Jason basically said Triple J's was slow and he did the investigation for fun. I don't think it'll lead to anything bigger. I love Tasha, though, and if they wanted to being her back, I'd be so down for it! I don't think the writers are interested in making Jason an agent again, although I don't doubt he'll continue to be involved in smaller-scale mysteries. As for the "other agents" line, I'm not sure if it'll mean anything. I would kinda love it if Jillian was secretly an agent, but I doubt it.

I think this episode is just a standalone one and I'll treat it as one unless there is actual proof that this episode will have follow-up. I genuinely loved this episode. Album 70 has been an absolute treat this far!
Be the reason someone smiles today.
djchatswithu
Cookies & Creme

Well, this was certainly a different kind of episode. it was a bit creepy near the end but I think the addition of Wooton definitely helped make it not so scary for younger listeners. in regards to Jason I'm pretty sure he's in the same situation as his Dad. he's no longer an agent but he'll still investigate things from time to time, and the agency knows they can trust him or Jason if something comes up (like with the parchment in 'The Search for Whit" or the laptop in "Waylaid in the windy city"). with Connie I think it's possible this episode might be mentioned or referenced at some point, though I doubt it.
TashaForbes
Vanilla

MisterCharles wrote:
I have to say this episode was NOT what I expected... but still good in its own right.

First of all, I was a little disappointed that the “mysterious caller” was not a previous villain or character in the show. Who even is this guy?
Yes, It was disappointing not to see a returning character, but I was happy to learn that he was a criminal and there was a bit of a mystery surrounding him. While the caller could have been better, he also could have been worse.
MisterCharles wrote:
While I wouldn't say that it was slapped together, I do think that it seemed unfinished. It would be a good episode for a Part 2, or part of a new mystery series, as it never really had a proper conclusion to the mystery side of the story. What happened after Bradley (Spencer) came out of Connie's house? And how did he even get into her house? How did he know which one it was? What did Jason say to the police... how did they react to an antique dealer telling them that there was an escaped criminal who was inside one of his friend's house? I mean, that make me wonder if it is true that he could be in the agency again, or at least working for the government.
MisterCharles wrote:
But... IS JASON IN THE AGENCY? It seems kind of strange that he would just happen to be investigating a case on the internet and contacting the police about his finds. I am kind of hoping this is the beginning of a new story arch, hopefully involving Tasha. 😉
As you could expect, with an username like mine, I would adore if it Tasha came back. I would be really disappointed if AIO only brought her back for the Rydell Revelations and nothing more. It seems slightly strange they would bring back a character we haven't seen for years only for a few episodes. So fingers crossed, Miss Forbes will make a return sometime soon (maybe in one of the conclusions to all these unfinished mysteries?).
MisterCharles wrote:
Yes, as Chris would say, "Keep Listening!". I think that it's way to early to make any conclusions yet, so we'll have wait and see.
MisterCharles wrote:
P.S. do you think Jason could be the “other agent in Odyssey” that Tasha referred to in the Rydell Revalations?
Perhaps... or perhaps not. To be completely honest, Tasha never said that there was an agent. When asked, she only said maybe, which leaves the possibility that there is no other agent wide open. Although it would be amazing to see Jason do something with his life other than sell moldy furniture, I don't think that there will be much of a chance of him working with the government right now. While I do find it strange that he was following escped criminals just for fun, and that he had access to so much information, it might be nothing and the result of a few slow days at the antique shop like he said.

Overall, while I enjoyed this episode, I found that I had many questions and was quite confused with the ending. It seemed like there were two story arcs in Unreasonable - Connie's show, and a mystery. While Connie had some good advice at the end to sum up her arc, listeners were left hanging on the mystery side. Hopefully all the unanswered questions will be answered soon within this album or the next! I can't wait to see what's in store for Odyssey.

-TashaForbes 😊
Polehaus53
Cookies & Creme

Welcome to the Soda Shop, TashaForbes and MisterCharles! We're glad you're here!

This was a great episode. I liked it! I don't have many complaints about it. This was the first episode to be remotely recorded. As with "A Simple Reminder", I couldn't even tell it had been remotely recorded.

I do agree that the part with Jason coming in and saying that Spencer was an escaped convict did seem a bit random when I heard the episode for the first time. However, it didn't bother me and I was able to enjoy this plot twist.

There were some funny moments in this episode. The parts where Wooton reads the online comments were hilarious! I liked the Zoom reference (I think it was a Zoom reference) about muting people: "Is there any way I can mute her microphone without muting yours?" :lol: It's been a while since an Odyssey episode has made me laugh so much.

The sound design was great. You could hear all the background noise on Bradley's (Or Spencer's) end of the phone as he talked. I didn't hear him eat a mango, though... :(

One thing I was wondering was how long did Connie spend in the studio? She was coming to the end of Candid Conversations with Connie at the beginning of the episode. Then she decides to "go a little long". After that, Wooton starts receiving calls from people wanting advice. Then Spencer calls and Connie spends 20 minutes talking to him. Then Jason comes in, telling her to continue talking to him. She then proceeds to do so for the rest of the episode. Connie and Wooton must've been on the radio all day!

(Oh, and I ship Jillian with the fire alarm! \:D/)

Overall, I liked this episode. I rate it a 4 out of 5 stars!
-Signed, PolehausFifty-three

Member of The Emily Rules Klub (est. 2012)

“We have it translated in every language: (กฎของเอมิลี่, Emily es la mejor, 艾米莉规则, Emily Quy tắc!, エミリーは最高です, emilyyay ulesray!, Эмили Правила!, Emily é a melhor, एमिली नियम!, Emily est la meilleure!, إميلي هي الأفضل!, Emily Kuralları!, אמילי שולטת!, Emily Regeln!, 에밀리 담당!, Si Emily ang pinakamahusay!, എമിലി രാജ്ഞിയാണ്!, એમિલી નિયમો!) that Emily RULES!”~The E.R.K.
ASmouseInTheHouse
Cookies & Creme

(I'll probably just be repeating what everyone else has already said, so I'll be brief... :anxious: )

This was the first episode in a long time that I knew immediately after hearing it what I thought. And even after hearing it a second time, my opinion hasn't changed: It was great.

I wasn't so sure as the episode was beginning: Yes, Connie gets a complaint, yes, she wants to prove it wrong, oh wait, she's talking to an escaped convict! I was sort of expecting Connie to say something rude about Spencer when she thought she was off the air, thus Jason coming in to ask if her mic was on, but the escaped convict thing was completely unexpected. But I think it was a great plot twist that resulted in a great storyline. It kept me on the edge of my seat.
I also really liked how the lesson/moral of the episode was very clear and played a significant role in the story. I think it's safe to say that Unrelatable is one of my top-rated episodes in Album 70. I'm giving it a 4.7 out of 5 stars.
"Next up, Mark Morgan's message to all math maniacs in the middle school is meaningful if you mingle by the mezzanine for a momentous mix of methodological mayhem and a menagerie of multiplicative inversions. Ha ha ha! I bet I could say this backwards. Inversions multiplicative of menagerie a and mayhem methodological..."