Auto Response

Grab your AIO albums, and find a table! What makes your favorite episode the best? Have an episode you really dislike? This is the place to review and discuss AIO episodes and albums.
ASmouseInTheHouse
Cookies & Creme

Auto Response

What did you guys think of this episode?
"Next up, Mark Morgan's message to all math maniacs in the middle school is meaningful if you mingle by the mezzanine for a momentous mix of methodological mayhem and a menagerie of multiplicative inversions. Ha ha ha! I bet I could say this backwards. Inversions multiplicative of menagerie a and mayhem methodological..."
djchatswithu
Cookies & Creme

Overall I thought it was pretty good, and it's good to hear more about Detective Polhouse. The conversation between him and Buck in the interview room seemed a bit strange, until the next scene where Polhouse calls his mother. Finding A Way really does describe Polhouse, the way he worded things, trying to empathize and understand Buck as a fellow orphan without losing his image as a 'tough' police officer was very well written, very much like the end of 'The Toy".
MonkeyDude
Cookies & Creme

djchatswithu wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:39 am
Overall I thought it was pretty good, and it's good to hear more about Detective Polhouse. The conversation between him and Buck in the interview room seemed a bit strange, until the next scene where Polhouse calls his mother.
Completely agree here. Good episode, love Polhouse, but his talk with Buck just felt...confusing? It just seemed like a very sharp 180 from his previous motivation to bust him, not only shown in this episode but multiple episodes before. I really wasn't sure what was going on when I heard it honestly, because there was no, like, shift in tone or anything, I wasn't sure if he was going to chew Buck out or what haha. And I get that the ending with Polhouse being adopted kinda rounds it out but it still just conflicts a lot in my mind, I guess. Like, Polhouse has known about Buck's situation for a long time and it hasn't really affected how he's thought of him until now when he suddenly understands him better or something. I don't really know, I'm probably being waaaaay too nitpicky here haha. I do really like Polhouse's conversation with his mom though, I thought it was nice.
I really, really like that Buck actually thought about stealing Connie's car. The emotions Buck is struggling with seem real, interesting, and understandable. I thought that they fit his character really well and it was a layer of depth I wasn't expecting from him or this episode.
*Finger guns aggressively*
Polehaus53
Cookies & Creme

This episode was interesting. Detective Polehaus' last episode was "Nightmares by Constance", so it was good to hear from him again.

This episode sort of reminded me of “The Toy” with Detective Polehuas doing an investigation and questioning people around Odyssey.
I may be alone in this, but there was one small thing that bothered me; I somehow found the investigation to be a bit boring on my first listen. It was different than “The Toy” in the sense that we know what he is looking for. In “The Toy”, there was a sense of mystery as Polehaus, without giving any explanation, tracked down the different people in Odyssey (and Connellsville) whose actions brought the stuffed rabbit to the hospital. It sparked my interest. In this episode, however, the first thing that we learn is that Connie’s car is stolen. Every single possible suspect is named right at the beginning of the episode: Jillian, Buck, Jules, Whit, and Eugene. Polehaus then goes to each one of them to confirm each other’s story. Somehow, it didn’t spark my interest and took away from the plot. I don’t know, that’s just a minor thing and it may just be me overthinking things.
MonkeyDude wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:11 am
I get that the ending with Polhouse being adopted kinda rounds it out but it still just conflicts a lot in my mind, I guess. Like, Polhouse has known about Buck's situation for a long time and it hasn't really affected how he's thought of him until now when he suddenly understands him better or something.
I like the episode’s second last scene with Polehaus and Buck, but I do agree with you on this; it did seem a bit random that Polehuas is all of a sudden understanding with Buck’s feelings. As did the reveal at the end that Polehaus is adopted. We’ve never seen either one of those before. I'm okay with it, but it's kind of surprising.

Let's focus on the positives: I liked the scene with Connie at Whit’s End. It was pretty funny. I liked how we hear from Rufus, Jason’s other employee at the antique shop. The last episode he was in was “Fathers and Sons”, back in album 62.
I liked how Tom Riley’s farm made another appearance. Now if only Becky would make a reappearance as well.
It seems like there’s quite a bit of sickness going on in Odyssey lately. Wilson was sick in “A Simple Reminder”, and in here we see both Connie and Charlie, one of Jason’s employees, are also sick... Hmmm...

Oh yeah, and I also learned that I should leave the keys in my car if I live in Odyssey! \:D/ But joking aside, I understand that it was emphasized to show how trusting the people of Odyssey are, but I still don’t think that it’s a good idea. :noway:

Wow, I have quite a few criticisms for this episode. To be honest, I liked “Jumping Off, Jumping In” better. I rate "Auto Response" a 3.7 out of 5 stars.
-Signed, PolehausFifty-three

Member of The Emily Rules Klub (est. 2012)

“We have it translated in every language: (กฎของเอมิลี่, Emily es la mejor, 艾米莉规则, Emily Quy tắc!, エミリーは最高です, emilyyay ulesray!, Эмили Правила!, Emily é a melhor, एमिली नियम!, Emily est la meilleure!, إميلي هي الأفضل!, Emily Kuralları!, אמילי שולטת!, Emily Regeln!, 에밀리 담당!, Si Emily ang pinakamahusay!, എമിലി രാജ്ഞിയാണ്!, એમિલી નિયમો!) that Emily RULES!”~The E.R.K.
ASmouseInTheHouse
Cookies & Creme

I did like this episode overall, mainly because it was different from the average Buck/Jules/Meltsner episode.
Polehaus53 wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:28 pm
In this episode, however, the first thing that we learn is that Connie’s car is stolen. Every single possible suspect is named right at the beginning of the episode: Jillian, Buck, Jules, Whit, and Eugene. Polehaus then goes to each one of them to confirm each other’s story. Somehow, it didn’t spark my interest and took away from the plot. I don’t know, that’s just a minor thing and it may just be me overthinking things.
I don't know whether to agree or disagree about this. Yes, the suspects are all named, but we still don't know who took the car. What made the investigation interesting, at least for me, was that no one knew the whole story. They only knew the part they had played or what they had seen, which most of the time, did not answer the question of who 'stole' the car, thus building some sort of suspense. When Eugene states, "Ms. Marshall came and took it" (sorry, paraphrasing here), I was interested because (at least to me) she could have actually been the thief.
But I can see how things were a bit uninteresting when Polehaus talks to characters we know didn't steal the car. I don't know. Personally, I did not mind the investigation. :anxious:
MonkeyDude wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:11 am
Like, Polhouse has known about Buck's situation for a long time and it hasn't really affected how he's thought of him until now when he suddenly understands him better or something.
Yeah, this one of the main issues I have with the Polehaus-Buck scene. Ever since Buck came to Odyssey, Polehaus has been waiting eagerly for him to do something illegal...and now Buck finally does something and Polehaus figures out why because of his own experience. What bothers me more is that we didn't hear from Buck much. He literally only says a few sentences and words in that scene. I would have liked Buck to add his own thoughts rather than Polehaus spelling everything out for him. It would have made the explanation a bit more believable if we had heard it from both of them.

I honestly didn't mind these issues very much, so I'll give Auto Response 4 out of 5 stars. :P
"Next up, Mark Morgan's message to all math maniacs in the middle school is meaningful if you mingle by the mezzanine for a momentous mix of methodological mayhem and a menagerie of multiplicative inversions. Ha ha ha! I bet I could say this backwards. Inversions multiplicative of menagerie a and mayhem methodological..."
Matthewparker2
Vanilla

Honestly, I thought this episode was a bit boring, the end scenes were well written and I liked the twist. I have very mixed feelings I feel like the comedy was a little off and the acting a bit awkward but the music and pacing of the episode were done right. It was similar to The Toy but different enough in tone. Honestly, I liked "The Toy" better because it had stronger emotions, character dynamics, and an original story.

This episode had a semi-original story and made Detective Polehaus an endearing character but at the same time took away from the core of who he is which is Tough and Rough, honestly, I liked him better in "NIghtmares by Constance" with the exception of the final two scenes. The reveal that he's adopted and that Buck really was trying to steal the car were interesting twists and added some levity and dimension to the story. Overall it could have been better and it could've been much worse.

In the end, I give it a 3/5 stars for a sort of unsatisfying and semi-comedic mystery. I rank it fifth of the episodes in album 70, only beating LCTWTO