[SPOILERS] #908: Christmas Bells

Grab your AIO albums, and find a table! What makes your favorite episode the best? Have an episode you really dislike? This is the place to review and discuss AIO episodes and albums.
Scientific Guy
Cookies & Creme

[SPOILERS] #908: Christmas Bells

We could talk for a while about the historical elements of this episode, or the music, or the writing, or anything I was expecting to discuss, but all that's besides the point. I think we just heard the next episode in the Morrie Rydell Saga.
Monica Stone
Caramel Crunch

What was that?!

During the opening scene, I thought, "I know Wilson is just receiving a spiritual nudge so he can help Zoe, but if I knew nothing about this episode going into it, I would assume this is a mystery episode." The opening music was mysterious and that also surprised me. I thought it was an odd choice for a historical Christmas musical. But it makes more sense, considering that ending.

"Remember what I told you when I came in about why I'm here? [...] What I didn't tell you was along with that overwhelming feeling, came another message, almost like a voice. Almost. [...] It said 'one of three will fall'. [...] When I came in, I thought it might mean one of three artifacts in here, but now..."

I cut out some of Jason's interjections and extra dialogue. But the ending was the last thing I anticipated.
Wilson is the new Jack Allen. :P Anyway...
One of three is Zoe, Olivia, or Emily. And I think it's probably safe to guess the one who will fall is Emily and this definitely connects to her involvement in the Rydell Saga. Scientific Guy, you mentioned on one of your more recent AIO Audio News podcasts, Marshal Younger teased that a character will struggle/fall from faith. Could Emily possibly losing faith be the "fall" Wilson heard of from the "almost voice"? She's been through traumatic stuff & could be losing faith in others, and possibly God. This theory might be a longshot, but it's what came to mind when grasping at straws.

I'm so excited to hear everybody's thoughts. I was shocked.
Be the reason someone smiles today.
ByeByeBrownie
Strawberry

Monica Stone wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:17 pm
What was that?!

During the opening scene, I thought, "I know Wilson is just receiving a spiritual nudge so he can help Zoe, but if I knew nothing about this episode going into it, I would assume this is a mystery episode." The opening music was mysterious and that also surprised me. I thought it was an odd choice for a historical Christmas musical. But it makes more sense, considering that ending.

"Remember what I told you when I came in about why I'm here? [...] What I didn't tell you was along with that overwhelming feeling, came another message, almost like a voice. Almost. [...] It said 'one of three will fall'. [...] When I came in, I thought it might mean one of three artifacts in here, but now..."

I cut out some of Jason's interjections and extra dialogue. But the ending was the last thing I anticipated.
One of three is Zoe, Olivia, or Emily. And I think it's probably safe to guess the one who will fall is Emily and this definitely connects to her involvement in the Rydell Saga. Scientific Guy, you mentioned on one of your more recent AIO Audio News podcasts, Marshal Younger teased that a character will struggle/fall from faith. Could Emily possibly losing faith be the "fall" Wilson heard of from the "almost voice"? She's been through traumatic stuff & could be losing faith in others, and possibly God. This theory might be a longshot, but it's what came to mind when grasping at straws.

My thoughts exactly!

(This is going to sound mean and I'm sorry, but) I honestly feel like the ending ruins the episode. It distracts from the story by bringing up something seemingly totally unrelated, which in turn casts a shadow over the entire episode. My mom also made the comment that leaving Wilson's spiritual intuition as yet unresolved at the end seems a bit beyond the maturity level of the show's target audience.

I'm all for an arc in which a character begins to question their faith, but I'm not sure I like using this saga as the means to do so. I'm having a hard time formulating my thoughts here, but it all just leaves me feeling kind of icky and unsettled.
Shiyanne Rylie Steele

Buck and Jules Shipper
Wooton is the best character on Odyssey ever. Fight me.

"It's not that we don't make sense, it's that we have a different way of looking at things that do make sense." ~Wooton Bassett
Carl
Caramel Crunch

Monica Stone wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:17 pm
What was that?!

Literally was thinking the same thing!
Buckles shipper. Visit my Odyssey website at http://odyssey-news.com/.

Trista: Isn't it great to be an indevidual now, not just someone who wears what society tells them to wear?
Jules: But your telling my what to wear.
Trista: Of course, I'm your publicist, it's my job.

~#902 California Dreams, Part 1~
Polehaus53
Cookies & Creme

So, this episode technically wasn't a 'real' Christmas episode. It's a historical episode about the story of Longfellow. I think that they should’ve mentioned that Longfellow also wrote the poem ‘The Midnight Ride’, which Odyssey has done an episode on.

Starting this episode, I thought that Wilson was going to help Jason by telling the story of Longfellow. So, I was quite surprised when Zoe walked in and Jason started telling the story. You can imagine my shock when Wilson said at the end that one of the three will fall. I assume that it means Emily (come on, we all know it’s going to be Emily :P) will fall from her faith? Like Monica Stone said, it would make sense, considering all the things she's been through in recent episodes.

If this is the case, then it’s quite interesting because I recall that back in 2019 the AIO team had the fans take an Odyssey Character Survey (link doesn't work anymore, but here it is: https://feedback.focusonthefamily.com/s3/aio-survey), where the fans answered questions about how they would feel about different things happening to the characters. I took the survey and I distinctly remember one of the questions being, “How would you feel if a character were to lose his/her faith?” Remarkably interesting if that’s what they’re planning to do with Emily. I suppose that “I’d be thrilled!”, one of the options for that question, got the most votes?
ByeByeBrownie wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:22 pm
I honestly feel like the ending ruins the episode. It distracts from the story by bringing up something seemingly totally unrelated, which in turn casts a shadow over the entire episode. My mom also made the comment that leaving Wilson's spiritual intuition as yet unresolved at the end seems a bit beyond the maturity level of the show's target audience.
I agree with this. It felt a bit disjointed and random. If the AIO team ever makes a Rydell Saga compilation album in the future, I highly doubt that this episode would be in it. But I still think it’s a pretty cool way to continue the saga.
-Signed, PolehausFifty-three

Member of The Emily Rules Klub (est. 2012)

“We have it translated in every language: (กฎของเอมิลี่, Emily es la mejor, 艾米莉规则, Emily Quy tắc!, エミリーは最高です, emilyyay ulesray!, Эмили Правила!, Emily é a melhor, एमिली नियम!, Emily est la meilleure!, إميلي هي الأفضل!, Emily Kuralları!, אמילי שולטת!, Emily Regeln!, 에밀리 담당!, Si Emily ang pinakamahusay!, എമിലി രാജ്ഞിയാണ്!, એમિલી નિયમો!) that Emily RULES!”~The E.R.K.
MonkeyDude
Cookies & Creme

HOT DANG! I finally swindled my way into getting another free trial of the club and binged everything I've missed. I do agree Wilson's spiel didn't exactly vibe with the episode well but I'm pretty pumped about the connotations of it. I honestly really didn't expect anything like this from modern Odyssey (or at least from anyone other than Jack) but I'm so here for it.
*Finger guns aggressively*
Bananareader
Caramel Crunch

I really enjoyed the story about Henry Wadsworth Longfellow writing the Christmas Bells. I also thought the Adventures in Odyssey wiki was making a joke when it said This episode is part of a larger, ominous story arc, until I listened to the episode. I thought at the beginning of the episode that Wilson's spiritual intuition was about helping Zoe, so I was also surprised at the ending. I also wasn't expecting Wilson Knox to have the same ability that Jack Allen had, which I liked.