#904: Jumping Off, Jumping In

Grab your AIO albums, and find a table! What makes your favorite episode the best? Have an episode you really dislike? This is the place to review and discuss AIO episodes and albums.
Polehaus53
Cookies & Creme

#904: Jumping Off, Jumping In

The first episode of album 70: Finding a Way released on the Adventures in Odyssey Club today! \:D/ How did everyone like it?
-Signed, PolehausFifty-three

Member of The Emily Rules Klub (est. 2012)

“We have it translated in every language: (กฎของเอมิลี่, Emily es la mejor, 艾米莉规则, Emily Quy tắc!, エミリーは最高です, emilyyay ulesray!, Эмили Правила!, Emily é a melhor, एमिली नियम!, Emily est la meilleure!, إميلي هي الأفضل!, Emily Kuralları!, אמילי שולטת!, Emily Regeln!, 에밀리 담당!, Si Emily ang pinakamahusay!, എമിലി രാജ്ഞിയാണ്!, એમિલી નિયમો!) that Emily RULES!”~The E.R.K.
ASmouseInTheHouse
Cookies & Creme

First off, I really like the title of this episode.

Secondly, I don't have much to say because this episode was pretty good, at least in my book. :o
It kept me guessing about Wyatt's story. For the better part of the episode, I guessed that Wyatt had not been the one to pull Bridget in; instead it was Jay. But that theory fell apart eventually. This aspect of it reminded me of Two Sides to Every Story.

Was it just me, or did Bridget's plan at the end seem super confusing? I'm still not sure I get it. Was she trying to demonstrate that Jay wouldn't have been able to help her? How does that help Wyatt? :? Still pretty confused about how the demonstration would have been beneficial to Wyatt - she definitely wasn't trying to drown again - and that was what it took for Wyatt to feel better about what he did.

Anyway, I liked this episode and give it a 4.5 out of 5 stars. :clap:
"Next up, Mark Morgan's message to all math maniacs in the middle school is meaningful if you mingle by the mezzanine for a momentous mix of methodological mayhem and a menagerie of multiplicative inversions. Ha ha ha! I bet I could say this backwards. Inversions multiplicative of menagerie a and mayhem methodological..."
djchatswithu
Cookies & Creme

ASmouseInTheHouse wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:26 pm
First off, I really like the title of this episode.

Secondly, I don't have much to say because this episode was pretty good, at least in my book. :o
It kept me guessing about Wyatt's story. For the better part of the episode, I guessed that Wyatt had not been the one to pull Bridget in; instead it was Jay. But that theory fell apart eventually. This aspect of it reminded me of Two Sides to Every Story.
I was reminded of that episode too, but I liked the idea of following Whit as he worked out what actually happened. I don't know why, but the way Whit asked "how big was your tree, did make me laugh, despite being a bit of a serious conversation.
Was it just me, or did Bridget's plan at the end seem super confusing? I'm still not sure I get it. Was she trying to demonstrate that Jay wouldn't have been able to help her? How does that help Wyatt? :? Still pretty confused about how the demonstration would have been beneficial to Wyatt - she definitely wasn't trying to drown again - and that was what it took for Wyatt to feel better about what he did.
I think the idea was less about Wyatt 'rescuing' her, and more about getting Jay to admit he was wrong so Wyatt would stop doing dangerous stunts.
I also think the part where their mother realized how much like his father Wyatt is was very well done on the actors part.
Last edited by Polehaus53 on Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed the quotation
Monica Stone
Caramel Crunch

I liked this episode. "Always Home" and "Bridget, Redefined" are still my favorite Perkins family episodes, but this one was nice.

I wish Whit cared for the mental health and general well-being of Emily Jones and the Rydell kids as much as he did the Perkins kids. But hey! I thought Whit was awesome in this episode and I haven't specifically had that thought about Whit in awhile. Marshal Younger writes Whit really well. :) I like that he took a personal interest in helping Bridget and Wyatt with their problems, and did so in a healthy, helpful way. I missed that recently. I love when Whit serves a purpose in the narrative besides preaching the theme of the episode (and yes, he did that in the episode, but it felt earned and fitting).

From what we've heard from the Perkins family, they seem somewhat dysfunctional. The family consists of a mostly-absent father, a mother who loves her kids but seems busy with work, and two kids struggling to handle the difficulties of their unique situation. Wyatt's difficulty to open up about his problems, even to those he trusts, feels very real. You can tell he likes Whit and trusts him, but emotionally opening up is hard. I feel like that detail speaks volumes about his character and situation.

What Jay said to Wyatt was mean and almost felt contrived for the story. Jay is kinda an egotistical goofball who loves attention and annoys others to get it. I feel that his remark to Wyatt was just so unkind and blatant for the story, it felt contrived. I don't think it was necessary for Jay to make that remark to Wyatt; too on-the-nose. Wyatt's the kind of kid who doesn't need someone else to tell him he is cowardly and unlike his father. He's shown in the past he always feels the need to prove himself to others, especially when he's insecure. After such a traumatic experience, he would definitely overthink and feel like a disappointment to his father. Jay's comment just felt 'off' (from a character angle and from the story perspective).

I have more thoughts, but I don't have time to write them all now. I shall do that another time. Overall, I had fun with this epsiode. It's sweet, it's fun, I liked the characters, the theme, etc. I'd probably give it a 4/5. I'm excited for the next Perkins family episode.
Be the reason someone smiles today.