The Martyr and the Rooster

Your membership into the Adventures in Odyssey Club grants you a special key! Here is the place to discuss all of the club exclusive episodes.
Monica Stone
Caramel Crunch

The Martyr and the Rooster

I've had a busy night and was up late. Then I realized "The Martyr and the Rooster" had just been released! So I heard it. I need to re-listen to it, but I have many thoughts about the theme, ethics, and morals presented. Phil Lollar keeps writing episodes that really make me think ("Millstones", "The Rydell Revelations", and now this).

What did you all think?
Be the reason someone smiles today.
PennyBassett
Fudge Marble

Just listened to it, and I too will have to listen again, but I liked it on the first time through at least! A couple things that stood out to me were that first, it wasn't predictable. I was really surprised by every plot twist. Second, as much as I feel like the Calhouns have been kind of the token black family, I do love them as characters, and Cooper and his friends were such a refreshing break from Odyssey's usual white-washed cast. The episode also had really wonderful music, acting, and emotional intelligence. I felt like the moral was convicting and genuine. Overall, yeah. An above average episode.
"Let me get this straight. I bet all those non-friends of yours try to embarrass you about your love for that stuff, right? So, you almost feel like you have to hide your treasures away and can only take them out in secret on rainy days when your mom goes to the store to get more liver and nobody is around to berate your sensitive spirit. Is that what you’re saying?" -Jay Smouse
Carl
Caramel Crunch

PennyBassett wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:02 am
Just listened to it, and I too will have to listen again, but I liked it on the first time through at least! A couple things that stood out to me were that first, it wasn't predictable. I was really surprised by every plot twist. Second, as much as I feel like the Calhouns have been kind of the token black family, I do love them as characters, and Cooper and his friends were such a refreshing break from Odyssey's usual white-washed cast. The episode also had really wonderful music, acting, and emotional intelligence. I felt like the moral was convicting and genuine. Overall, yeah. An above average episode.
I need to listen again, but I agree, the music was great, it wasn't predictable, the actors were great, everything about this episode makes me conclude that this is one of the best of the season (after Millstones, maybe).
Buckles shipper. Visit my Odyssey website at http://odyssey-news.com/.

Trista: Isn't it great to be an indevidual now, not just someone who wears what society tells them to wear?
Jules: But your telling my what to wear.
Trista: Of course, I'm your publicist, it's my job.

~#902 California Dreams, Part 1~
Polehaus53
Cookies & Creme

This was a great episode! I'll have to hear it again, but I can say that I liked it. Phil Lollar's writing was really good. :clap:

I find it amazing that that this episode ties in to Knight's Scheme, book 5 of The Blackgaard Chronicles book series. Check out this conversation between Jason and Wilson in chapter three, on pages 21-22:
"Where are you headed, if I may ask?"
"The Middle East. You?"
"Burma," Wilson replied, "well, Myanmar now."
Jason gave a low whistle. "They just had a revolution there, y'know."
Wilson smirked. "I'm aware. I'm going there with a humanitarian aid organization doing relief work at a prison."
Jason's eyebrows rose. "San Wing?"
Wilson nodded, surprised. "You know it?"
"Of it. Dangerous place—very rough. It's one of the worst prisons in the world."
"That's why we're going," Wilson said. "They need help the most."
This episode give us the details of what happened to Wilson while he was there! :mad:
-Signed, PolehausFifty-three

Member of The Emily Rules Klub (est. 2012)

“We have it translated in every language: (กฎของเอมิลี่, Emily es la mejor, 艾米莉规则, Emily Quy tắc!, エミリーは最高です, emilyyay ulesray!, Эмили Правила!, Emily é a melhor, एमिली नियम!, Emily est la meilleure!, إميلي هي الأفضل!, Emily Kuralları!, אמילי שולטת!, Emily Regeln!, 에밀리 담당!, Si Emily ang pinakamahusay!, എമിലി രാജ്ഞിയാണ്!, એમિલી નિયમો!) that Emily RULES!”~The E.R.K.