#902-903 California Dreams

Grab your AIO albums, and find a table! What makes your favorite episode the best? Have an episode you really dislike? This is the place to review and discuss AIO episodes and albums.
Carl
Caramel Crunch

#902-903 California Dreams

What are you're thoughts about this episode? I personally liked most of it:
Buckles shipper. Visit my Odyssey website at http://odyssey-news.com/.

Trista: Isn't it great to be an indevidual now, not just someone who wears what society tells them to wear?
Jules: But your telling my what to wear.
Trista: Of course, I'm your publicist, it's my job.

~#902 California Dreams, Part 1~
ASmouseInTheHouse
Cookies & Creme

Random thoughts:
It was interesting to see how different Jules' songs were between this episode and For A Song. Her song in this episode was much better; I liked it a lot.
It seemed really random and sudden for Jules' mom to show up and just take her back, for no specific reason. I'm guessing that because she wants to marry Coyote, and since he insisted that Jules be a part of it, she reluctantly gets Jules. So I think she's trying to get Jules to like him. I was kind of hoping it would be connected to her music, but oh well.
Things were happening really fast towards the end of the episode. I hope we'll hear more of what's going on in Odyssey in part 2.
Overall, this episode was good. I wouldn't give it a super high rating, but I still liked it (mainly because of the songs).

I thought of something earlier today: What if the whole time we were thinking Jules was the one who would get saved, but it's really Buck? Not likely, but if that happened, Odyssey will have done a good job surprising us.
Theories for part 2: Maybe Jan will betray Jules once she gets what she wants (approval of Coyote from Jules). And that might lead Jules to realize that there's no one she can trust in California. Which might lead her back to Odyssey.
Hey, will this be the first album without Jillian?
"Next up, Mark Morgan's message to all math maniacs in the middle school is meaningful if you mingle by the mezzanine for a momentous mix of methodological mayhem and a menagerie of multiplicative inversions. Ha ha ha! I bet I could say this backwards. Inversions multiplicative of menagerie a and mayhem methodological..."
Carl
Caramel Crunch

ASmouseInTheHouse wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:10 pm
Random thoughts:
It was interesting to see how different Jules' songs were between this episode and For A Song. Her song in this episode was much better; I liked it a lot.
It seemed really random and sudden for Jules' mom to show up and just take her back, for no specific reason. I'm guessing that because she wants to marry Coyote, and since he insisted that Jules be a part of it, she reluctantly gets Jules. So I think she's trying to get Jules to like him. I was kind of hoping it would be connected to her music, but oh well.
Things were happening really fast towards the end of the episode. I hope we'll hear more of what's going on in Odyssey in part 2.
Overall, this episode was good. I wouldn't give it a super high rating, but I still liked it (mainly because of the songs).

I thought of something earlier today: What if the whole time we were thinking Jules was the one who would get saved, but it's really Buck? Not likely, but if that happened, Odyssey will have done a good job surprising us.
Theories for part 2: Maybe Jan will betray Jules once she gets what she wants (approval of Coyote from Jules). And that might lead Jules to realize that there's no one she can trust in California. Which might lead her back to Odyssey.
Hey, will this be the first album without Jillian?
"Hey, will this be the first album without Jillian?" Yesss!

Trista: Isn't it great to be an indevidual now, not just someone who wears what society tells them to wear?

Woobou
Vanilla

The first listen through I didn’t like it. The songs are getting a little old. But after listening a few more times, I like the story line.
What if Cy spotted Jules online and that’s why he was so adamant for her mom to bring her back to LA? Also interesting how Jules went from not trusting Cy to suddenly trusting him with her future.
Lime jello. Carburetors. Fresh stick anti-perspirant. Ant farms. Sea monkeys. Cheese.
djchatswithu
Cookies & Creme

Woobou wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:31 pm
The first listen through I didn’t like it. The songs are getting a little old. But after listening a few more times, I like the story line.
What if Cy spotted Jules online and that’s why he was so adamant for her mom to bring her back to LA? Also interesting how Jules went from not trusting Cy to suddenly trusting him with her future.
Yep, I just listened to it and I totally agreed, Cy's using her, maybe to get noticed by someone, or to pull something at or during the concert. I mean, who would legally name their kid Coyote anyway, especially 30+ years ago?
Carl
Caramel Crunch

I agree!! It could be that he is tying to get to Jet Valentine through Jules.

djchatswithu
Cookies & Creme

Ok, here's some of my thoughts on part 2
I can't believe we were right about Cy, Also, why does random stuff in PennyBasset's fanfic keep happening in the show, Skint tries to take Buck away, Buck's dad died in a car crash, Buck and Jules sing at a concert on tv. I know the first one was going to happen at some point, but seriously, how does she do it!?
ASmouseInTheHouse
Cookies & Creme

djchatswithu wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:24 am
Also, why does random stuff in PennyBasset's fanfic keep happening in the show, Skint tries to take Buck away, Buck's dad died in a car crash, Buck and Jules sing at a concert on tv. I know the first one was going to happen at some point, but seriously, how does she do it!?
This happens to me sometimes as well! I wrote a fanfiction in 2016 where Mr. Skint returned...with a careless sidekick who nearly got him caught.

As for the episode....
I don't really know what to think about it. I really was hoping that we would see more about how Jules' departure affected people in Odyssey. I mean, she had been living with Connie for awhile and just left. In 45 minutes. It could be argued that Jules wasn't gone long enough to see an affect on Connie, but I think everything that she did there had to take at least a week.
And it felt like the climax of the episode was Jules and Buck singing. It worked, but I would have liked to have seen something more. Something that involved Jules' feelings throughout her rise of fame.
I thought it was a bit odd for Buck to randomly show up in California. I was like, "Huh?" when I heard his voice as a roadie.
There are things I don't like about this episode, but...they work. I like the episode in general, but I don't think it was as good as it could have been.

(Jules' salvation was apparently not part of this. Guess it's a good thing that hers won't be based off Connie's)

We did it. First album without Jillian.
"Next up, Mark Morgan's message to all math maniacs in the middle school is meaningful if you mingle by the mezzanine for a momentous mix of methodological mayhem and a menagerie of multiplicative inversions. Ha ha ha! I bet I could say this backwards. Inversions multiplicative of menagerie a and mayhem methodological..."
Carl
Caramel Crunch

ASmouseInTheHouse wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:00 pm
Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, YES!!

MonkeyDude
Cookies & Creme

ASmouseInTheHouse wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:00 pm
[I don't really know what to think about it. I really was hoping that we would see more about how Jules' departure affected people in Odyssey. I mean, she had been living with Connie for awhile and just left. In 45 minutes. It could be argued that Jules wasn't gone long enough to see an affect on Connie, but I think everything that she did there had to take at least a week.
And it felt like the climax of the episode was Jules and Buck singing. It worked, but I would have liked to have seen something more. Something that involved Jules' feelings throughout her rise of fame.
I thought it was a bit odd for Buck to randomly show up in California. I was like, "Huh?" when I heard his voice as a roadie.
There are things I don't like about this episode, but...they work. I like the episode in general, but I don't think it was as good as it could have been.

(Jules' salvation was apparently not part of this. Guess it's a good thing that hers won't be based off Connie's)

I agree here! I feel like Connie got a little shortchanged in the aspect that she has essentially taken on a guardian role for Jules since both of her actual parents are off being irresponsible finks. For the most part, this has been Jules' story and arc, but Connie (and Buck) have both been deeply tied to it. Connie has taken on a lot of responsibility by taking care of Jules, and it'd have to be so frustrating to step up in the absence of good parental figures in Jules' life like Connie has, to only be tossed aside when it's suddenly convenient for Jane to take her back. Buck got a good amount of focus (which is great! Even if it was handled in a questionable way) but Connie seemed to almost exclusively exist within this episode to be rational and slightly irritated, which is just a bit disappointing. I completely understand that the Odyssey team is pressed for time and have to pick and choose which stories to prioritize(which has to be extremely difficult), but I just wish Connie would have been one of those priorities. To clarify, I don't have any problems with Connie this episode, but it does feel like a missed opportunity for her character.
*Finger guns aggressively*
ASmouseInTheHouse
Cookies & Creme

MonkeyDude wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:22 pm
I completely understand that the Odyssey team is pressed for time and have to pick and choose which stories to prioritize(which has to be extremely difficult), but I just wish Connie would have been one of those priorities. To clarify, I don't have any problems with Connie this episode, but it does feel like a missed opportunity for her character.
I agree, should have clarified that in my post :oops: : Connie was fine in this episode, it just wasn't what I expected (or wanted) to see.