The Rydell Revevlations

Grab your AIO albums, and find a table! What makes your favorite episode the best? Have an episode you really dislike? This is the place to review and discuss AIO episodes and albums.
MonkeyDude
Cookies & Creme

The Rydell Revevlations

With 'The Rydell Revelations Part 1' premiering in the club tomorrow, what are some hopes, predictions, and opinions you have regarding these episodes and the Rydell saga as a whole?

Some of the things I know I'll be hoping for (other than just a satisfying conclusion in general haha) are:
1. A reason why Whit has been abnormal since "A Sacrificial Escape"
2. Morrie's motives
3. Resolution/closure between Emily and Matthew
4. Some insight into how the Escape Room and Cobble Box were pulled off
5. Some sort of development or respite for Emily. I really hope the fact that Emily (and/or Matthew) is probably prettttty traumatized isn't glazed over.
6. Satisfying backstory and explanation for Suzu, Morrie, and the Rydell family. (Pretty confident we'll get this one)
7. 'Further From the Truth' is elaborated on and improved by the following episodes. I personally enjoy FFTT but I can definitely understand why some might not have (the AIOWiki podcast on it was super great so you should go listen to that).

As far as predictions go, I vibe with the Suzu mastermind theory but I just don't know if Odyssey would go for that.
*Finger guns aggressively*
Carl
Caramel Crunch

MonkeyDude wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:39 am
With 'The Rydell Revelations Part 1' premiering in the club tomorrow, what are some hopes, predictions, and opinions you have regarding these episodes and the Rydell saga as a whole?

Some of the things I know I'll be hoping for (other than just a satisfying conclusion in general haha) are:
1. A reason why Whit has been abnormal since "A Sacrificial Escape"
2. Morrie's motives
3. Resolution/closure between Emily and Matthew
4. Some insight into how the Escape Room and Cobble Box were pulled off
5. Some sort of development or respite for Emily. I really hope the fact that Emily (and/or Matthew) is probably prettttty traumatized isn't glazed over.
6. Satisfying backstory and explanation for Suzu, Morrie, and the Rydell family. (Pretty confident we'll get this one)
7. 'Further From the Truth' is elaborated on and improved by the following episodes. I personally enjoy FFTT but I can definitely understand why some might not have (the AIOWiki podcast on it was super great so you should go listen to that).

As far as predictions go, I vibe with the Suzu mastermind theory but I just don't know if Odyssey would go for that.
I'm hoping for the exact same things :clap:. Although I am thinking Suzu is not the mastermind.
Buckles shipper. Visit my Odyssey website at http://odyssey-news.com/.

Trista: Isn't it great to be an indevidual now, not just someone who wears what society tells them to wear?
Jules: But your telling my what to wear.
Trista: Of course, I'm your publicist, it's my job.

~#902 California Dreams, Part 1~
MonkeyDude
Cookies & Creme

Carl wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:52 am
I'm hoping for the exact same things :clap:. Although I am thinking Suzu is not the mastermind.
Yeah, I can definitely respect that. I think in a lot of ways it would make sense for her to be in on it at least a little bit (Taking Emily and Matthew to the escape room and then not doing it) but it does seem unlikely for them to go that way.
Carl
Caramel Crunch

MonkeyDude wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:29 pm
Carl wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:52 am
Yeah, I can definitely respect that. I think in a lot of ways it would make sense for her to be in on it at least a little bit (Taking Emily and Matthew to the escape room and then not doing it) but it does seem unlikely for them to go that way.
Yeah, the "A Sacrificial Escape" episode makes me suspicious of Suzu.
Here is a meme that I made.

Trista: Isn't it great to be an indevidual now, not just someone who wears what society tells them to wear?

ASmouseInTheHouse
Cookies & Creme

Here are a few of my theories:
1. The strange things that have happened had a perfectly reasonable explanation (including Suzu's suspicious behavior). Sometimes things that appear suspicious aren't sinister at all. I'm not sure how the escape room thing could be explained, though.
I would be very disappointed if this theory came true, but that's not likely because of The Secret of the Writer's Ruse (Morrie wanted to make Emily and Matthew 'feel better', but Whit didn't think it was right) and A Sacrificial Escape (I mean, someone was breaking the law).
2. Suzu is aware of what Morrie is up to, but isn't revealing to him everything that she knows about it. Maybe she will try and foil his plans. I don't think Suzu is the mastermind of everything, but I wouldn't mind if she was.
3. Morrie is working with someone else, possibly someone from his past, which will be explained in Part 2 of the Rydell Revelations.

I've also been thinking about how Morrie always says the word 'good' strangely in every episode. Perhaps the writers were referencing the Creation Account in Genesis with this. There were six days of work during Creation and there are currently six episodes in the Rydell Saga. On almost every day during Creation, God called everything 'good'. On the sixth day he called it 'very good'. The mysterious voice does say 'very good' in A Sacrificial Escape and the word 'good' is said by Morrie in every episode before.
I know there are some holes in this, but I think it's interesting.
"Next up, Mark Morgan's message to all math maniacs in the middle school is meaningful if you mingle by the mezzanine for a momentous mix of methodological mayhem and a menagerie of multiplicative inversions. Ha ha ha! I bet I could say this backwards. Inversions multiplicative of menagerie a and mayhem methodological..."
MonkeyDude
Cookies & Creme

Carl wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:14 pm
Haha true! Nice! They are both drama club members so they are probably good actors.
ASmouseInTheHouse wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:58 pm
2. Suzu is aware of what Morrie is up to, but isn't revealing to him everything that she knows about it. Maybe she will try and foil his plans. I don't think Suzu is the mastermind of everything, but I wouldn't mind if she was.
Yes! I definitely think she has to know something at the very least if she is truly the detective that she has been hyped up to be.
ASmouseInTheHouse wrote:
I've also been thinking about how Morrie always says the word 'good' strangely in every episode. Perhaps the writes were referencing the Creation Account in Genesis with this. There were six days of work during Creation and there are currently six episodes in the Rydell Saga. On almost every day during Creation, God called everything 'good'. On the sixth day he called it 'very good'. The mysterious voice does say 'very good' in A Sacrificial Escape and the word 'good' is said by Morrie in every episode before.
That is super interesting! It hadn't even crossed my mind. Really great observation.
Carl
Caramel Crunch

MonkeyDude wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:10 pm
Carl wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:14 pm
Haha true! Nice! They are both drama club members so they are probably good actors.
ASmouseInTheHouse wrote:
Yes! I definitely think she has to know something at the very least if she is truly the detective that she has been hyped up to be.
ASmouseInTheHouse wrote:
I've also been thinking about how Morrie always says the word 'good' strangely in every episode. Perhaps the writes were referencing the Creation Account in Genesis with this. There were six days of work during Creation and there are currently six episodes in the Rydell Saga. On almost every day during Creation, God called everything 'good'. On the sixth day he called it 'very good'. The mysterious voice does say 'very good' in A Sacrificial Escape and the word 'good' is said by Morrie in every episode before.
That is super interesting! It hadn't even crossed my mind. Really great observation.
I agree with both of you!

Woobou
Vanilla

Who has listened? I may be traumatized now...
Lime jello. Carburetors. Fresh stick anti-perspirant. Ant farms. Sea monkeys. Cheese.
MonkeyDude
Cookies & Creme

Wowowowowit'shappeningguys- I'm not going to lie, I'm still shaking a little bit.
The first couple minutes straight up felt like a trailer (the sound and music were out of this world the whole episode!) which felt like nothing Odyssey has ever done before. I think I really like it but I'm not totally sure yet. The pacing felt a little wanky at first but after a few minutes it settled nicely. I really, really enjoyed this episode. The only thing that bogged it down in my insignificant opinion was the characters having to recap the previous episodes to catch everyone up, but I definitely understand and have no gripes about it being included. I really love the format this episode took with following Emily's case log (diary) and also her (not so) subtle descent into madness. (How she was like, "Well I guess I'm going to have to sleep on it" and then the next case log is at 2:33 AM)

ALSO, EMILY USED THE WORD SAUCY, WHAT A ICON GUYS-

There's a couple of little things like this in that in the episode I just really love. But the music and sound design really take the cake for me. Like, for real.

I'm going to have to listen to it a couple more times but part 1 did not disappoint. I love the direction Phil took and can't wait to see where the next couple of episodes go!
Woobou
Vanilla

What do you think about Ms. Mato? (sp?) Why do you think Suzu sounded so panicked when Emily approached her?
Last edited by Woobou on Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lime jello. Carburetors. Fresh stick anti-perspirant. Ant farms. Sea monkeys. Cheese.
Carl
Caramel Crunch

MonkeyDude wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:21 pm
Wowowowowit'shappeningguys- I'm not going to lie, I'm still shaking a little bit.
The first couple minutes straight up felt like a trailer (the sound and music were out of this world the whole episode!) which felt like nothing Odyssey has ever done before. I think I really like it but I'm not totally sure yet. The pacing felt a little wanky at first but after a few minutes it settled nicely. I really, really enjoyed this episode. The only thing that bogged it down in my insignificant opinion was the characters having to recap the previous episodes to catch everyone up, but I definitely understand and have no gripes about it being included. I really love the format this episode took with following Emily's case log (diary) and also her (not so) subtle descent into madness. (How she was like, "Well I guess I'm going to have to sleep on it" and then the next case log is at 2:33 AM)

ALSO, EMILY USED THE WORD SAUCY, WHAT A ICON GUYS-

There's a couple of little things like this in that in the episode I just really love. But the music and sound design really take the cake for me. Like, for real.

I'm going to have to listen to it a couple more times but part 1 did not disappoint. I love the direction Phil took and can't wait to see where the next couple of episodes go!
This is hands down my favorite Rydell Saga episode.

MonkeyDude
Cookies & Creme

I'm going to have to listen to it a couple more times but it's definitely up there for me as well Carl!
ASmouseInTheHouse
Cookies & Creme

I agree that the music was amazing. I think the music from the Chris wrap in Further From the Truth was used throughout this episode, but I might be wrong.
As for the rest of the episode...
It was great to see how all the past Rydell episodes came together as Emily investigated. But I did feel like a lot of time was spent with Olivia since Emily didn't know anything about what happened in The Good in People.
Emily's last two recordings...
Suzu was on her phone when Emily approached. My guess is that she got an urgent message asking her to come home, which might have something to do with Morrie because she was interested when Emily said she wanted to ask about him. When Emily follows Suzu into her room, Suzu seems to know that something is going to happen. I have a feeling that someone, maybe the same someone who messaged/called Suzu, did something to the girls, because why was no one in the house when Morrie found Emily's phone? I suppose there could be a more reasonable explanation, but it would be interesting if that was so.
"Next up, Mark Morgan's message to all math maniacs in the middle school is meaningful if you mingle by the mezzanine for a momentous mix of methodological mayhem and a menagerie of multiplicative inversions. Ha ha ha! I bet I could say this backwards. Inversions multiplicative of menagerie a and mayhem methodological..."
Woobou
Vanilla

ASmouseInTheHouse wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:35 pm
I agree that the music was amazing. I think the music from the Chris wrap in Further From the Truth was used throughout this episode, but I might be wrong.
As for the rest of the episode...
It was great to see how all the past Rydell episodes came together as Emily investigated. But I did feel like a lot of time was spent with Olivia since Emily didn't know anything about what happened in The Good in People.
Emily's last two recordings...
Suzu was on her phone when Emily approached. My guess is that she got an urgent message asking her to come home, which might have something to do with Morrie because she was interested when Emily said she wanted to ask about him. When Emily follows Suzu into her room, Suzu seems to know that something is going to happen. I have a feeling that someone, maybe the same someone who messaged/called Suzu, did something to the girls, because why was no one in the house when Morrie found Emily's phone? I suppose there could be a more reasonable explanation, but it would be interesting if that was so.
Yes! Maybe Ms. Mato trashed the room? Whatever happened, Emily is definitely going to need therapy now!
Carl
Caramel Crunch

I think Suzu trashed the room, so that she could frame Emily. Think about it, she was in her room from the moment Emily entered the house. Why would she wait until Emily was near her room to call "Oh, No"? I also think Morrie was the one who tackled them, maybe he told Suzu to trash her room.

MonkeyDude
Cookies & Creme

Woobou wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:59 pm
What do you think about Ms. Mato? (sp?) Why do you think Suzu sounded so panicked when Emily approached her?
I honestly don't know what to think of her yet haha! I could be wrong but I don't think she will end up being the main antagonist per se, but I could definitely see her being placed with them to keep an eye on them or something along those lines maybe?
ASmouseInTheHouse wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:35 pm

Yeah, I agree here! It was a nice recap but did feel a bit long for those of us who have been a little too obsessed with this arc.
ASmouseInTheHouse wrote:
My guess is that she got an urgent message asking her to come home, which might have something to do with Morrie because she was interested when Emily said she wanted to ask about him. When Emily follows Suzu into her room, Suzu seems to know that something is going to happen. I have a feeling that someone, maybe the same someone who messaged/called Suzu, did something to the girls, because why was no one in the house when Morrie found Emily's phone? I suppose there could be a more reasonable explanation, but it would be interesting if that was so.
Yeah, I like this a lot. Suzu was for sure already paranoid about something before Emily approached.
Carl wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:14 pm
I think Suzu trashed the room, so that she could frame Emily. Think about it, she was in her room from the moment Emily entered the house. Why would she wait until Emily was near her room to call "Oh, No"? I also think Morrie was the one who tackled them, maybe he told Suzu to trash her room.
That's a possibility! She sounded so extremely terrified, and even while she has obviously been proven to be a good actor, I just don't feel like she is setting Emily up at this point. I could be wrong though, I really have no clue what is going to happen at this point!
Carl
Caramel Crunch

MonkeyDude wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:32 pm
That's a possibility! She sounded so extremely terrified, and even while she has obviously been proven to be a good actor, I just don't feel like she is setting Emily up at this point. I could be wrong though, I really have no clue what is going to happen at this point!
I know!! Literally can’t wait for Part 2!

Peachey Keen
Caramel Crunch

Perhaps someone trashed Suzu's rooms searching for her notebook. She seems awfully protective of it. Maybe she has been keeping notes on what's been going on, much like Jellyfish in Darkness Before Dawn.
I tried to keep my expectations down for these episodes after FFTT but had a hard time doing that. I'm glad my expectations were much more than just met. The music was amazing and the recap of past events was very craftily done. Next Tuesday can't come fast enough!
Bren
Cookie Dough
Cookie Dough

I'm left with more questions than answers after part 1.
1: Is it possible the technology from FFTT is similar to The Inspiration Station radio?

2: Could this be tied to Novacom? Getting Jared witness protection vibes.

3: Is Morrie playing out his real life kidnapping in FFTT?

4: Where does Japan fit in? Suzu and Mrs Maydo both have accents. What is so important about Japan that warrants apparent kidnapping

5: If Morrie really saw the Emily and Suzu confrontation, who or what had Suzu so scared?
Carl
Caramel Crunch

Bren wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:25 pm
I'm left with more questions than answers after part 1.
1: Is it possible the technology from FFTT is similar to The Inspiration Station radio?

2: Could this be tied to Novacom? Getting Jared witness protection vibes.

3: Is Morrie playing out his real life kidnapping in FFTT?

4: Where does Japan fit in? Suzu and Mrs Maydo both have accents. What is so important about Japan that warrants apparent kidnapping

5: If Morrie really saw the Emily and Suzu confrontation, who or what had Suzu so scared?
Phil Lollar confirmed that Morrie is not connected to Novacom.