"Good Job!" - Album 68 - Spoilers

Grab your AIO albums, and find a table! What makes your favorite episode the best? Have an episode you really dislike? This is the place to review and discuss AIO episodes and albums.
Bob
Caramel Crunch

"Good Job!" - Album 68 - Spoilers

Quick plot summary: Jillian gets Connie's help in a job search, but has plenty of trouble along the way. Meanwhile, Trey Calhoun struggles with a crisis of confidence.
Some comparable episodes: What Are You Gonna Do With Your Life?, For Trying Out Loud, A Penny Earned, Cycle of Fear
Noteworthy developments:
*) More Calhouns are introduced; they seem intended to become a new regular Odyssey family, bolstering the show's roster. 'Coach' Calhoun is apparently a medical doctor in his day job. Mrs. Calhoun and her background are explored in this episode.
*) The Jason/Jillian angle continues to be developed in this episode, and, whether you like it or not, it looks like they're going to be seeing a lot of each other from now on.
*) The Jillian job search seems billed as the A-plot, but the B-plot is the stronger (though not more fun) of the two. I guess I'm a softie in my old age, but I teared up. AIO seems to be getting a firm grip on making episodes with emotionally and psychologically hurting characters lately, in a way that really connects with me.
*) Maybe it's the voice, but Mrs. Calhoun reminds me of Elaine Washington. I don't think that will disappoint any Odyssey fan.
*) Jillian seems very reminiscent of Lindsey here. If she's secretly a criminal mastermind (or a spy for an evil major corporation), she should win an Oscar for playing a ditz (that said, given how she seems to consistently maneuver herself into getting where she wants to be, I can actually see it).
*) The details and implementation vary, but this is not a brand new story structure. Some of the comparable episodes are quite comparable. If you expected to learn an original life lesson or experience a great twist of the plot, you're probably going to be disappointed.

Evaluation: Approve - retreads some old ground, but improves on those older episodes in some important areas. Good mix of fun, seriousness, and character development.

re-edit: thanks!
A classic never goes out of style.
ByeByeBrownie
Strawberry

Bob wrote:AIO seems to be getting a firm grip on making episodes with emotionally and psychologically hurting characters lately, in a way that really connects with me.
Give me ALL the angsty teenagers. I am here for it!
Shiyanne Rylie Steele

Buck and Jules Shipper
Wooton is the best character on Odyssey ever. Fight me.

"It's not that we don't make sense, it's that we have a different way of looking at things that do make sense." ~Wooton Bassett
djchatswithu
Cookies & Creme

I posted some of my favorite quotes from the episode in the other 'album 68' topic. I really did love that scene with Jillian's phone call at the hospital. the Calhoun's reminded me of a few Odyssey families. also, at the end of the episode do you think 'triple j antiques' will become '4 J antiques' or 'J&J antiques 2.0" or will the writers keep it as 'triple J antiques" as a tribute to Jack and Joanne?
Bob
Caramel Crunch

I think the only possible reason they might change the name yet again is if Jason got married, or maybe if another relative (Jenny, or maybe one of Jack's existent but unknown grandchildren) eventually replaced him. I don't see it happening for anything else.

As far as names go, I do think "Quad-J Antiques" is more likely than reverting to plain J&J. If Eugene were rechristening the store it could always be (J&J)², I guess, but that doesn't seem an angle Jason is likely to go for, heh.
A classic never goes out of style.
djchatswithu
Cookies & Creme

I actually hope it stays as 'triple J antiques', I was just being a bit silly and imagining Jillian answering the phone as '4J antiques' or 'quad j antiques', only for Jason to correct her. it seemed like something she might do.