OAC Episode Discussion

Your membership into the Adventures in Odyssey Club grants you a special key! Here is the place to discuss all of the club exclusive episodes.
Doll
Rainbow Sherbet

The Old Judge wrote:
AIOWiki wrote:Early in her life, Renee had her dog pass away. She had faith, but lost it after he died. Thus, she devoted her thinking to proof, rather than faith. Her faith is largely based in math
Okay............ :anxious: :anxious: :anxious:
To be honest, this part didn't seem as strong as it could have been. I get, a dog is important, but it would have made much more sense, and been a much stronger argument if it had been her little brother or something...
The Old Judge wrote: Will this employee ever appear on the non-exclusive shows?
AIOWiki wrote:Clubhouse Magazine June 2016 hinted that Renee might become a regular character.
The Old Judge wrote: What is her purpose on the show? Not what she does as an employee, but what will be her role in the continual development of AIO?
My guess is, to have a character who doesn't believe interact with characters that do believe? *shrugs*
The Old Judge wrote:And when did she debut on the OAC?
June 2016.
~Queen Belle of Altanovia, Knight of Montreal & Order of Aristotle, Benevolent Dictator, Catspaw of the SS, & Dan's couch troll~
~"I’ve always found you to be a good person to disagree with." - Eleventh Doctor~
The Old Judge
Mint Chocolate Chip

Belle wrote:
The Old Judge wrote: What is her purpose on the show? Not what she does as an employee, but what will be her role in the continual development of AIO?
My guess is, to have a character who doesn't believe interact with characters that do believe? *shrugs*
I assumed that. I should have phrased it better, but what I was asking was what her purpose was to continue to provide dimension to the show. Even AIOWiki admits that this character is pretty much a female, 21st century version of Eugene as he first appeared in 1988. Some themes you can repeat after several years, but you can't really with people. She needs to have some uniqueness.

Would you consider Album 29 of Adventures in Odyssey a one-hit Wonder? (1970)
Do you think you know music? Guess the hints at the end of each of my posts in A Musical Journey. (The name's a link. You can click it.)
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

I heard the preview for this episode listening to aio on whit's end. It sounded like a montage of scenes and ideas from other episodes. A new employee at Whit's End has trouble! (Eugene, Aubrey, Ed Washington.) A machine at Whit's End goes out of control! (Like the vacuum Eugene modified to Connie's chagrin, the ice cream machine in Mandy's Debut, etc.) An area in Whit's End is keep-off! (The episode where the Bible room is being made, the Nova Com episode where Erica needs to get into the tunnel, Sheep's Clothing maybe?)

There was nothing original in that episode teaser! If I get OAC again, it probably wont' be because the OAC episodes look so tantalizing.
Last edited by Pound Foolish on Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

Not to get too off-topic, but I mostly have the OAC because we only have around half the albums, they're almost all on cassette, and I didn't bring any of that to college with me. I was one of the people who whined about how oh-so-expensive and awful the OAC was, but for ten bucks a month and all the AIO I want, it's kind of a steal, exclusive eps or no exclusive eps.
it's not about 'deserve'. it's about what you believe. and i believe in love
Doll
Rainbow Sherbet

The Old Judge wrote:
Belle wrote:
The Old Judge wrote:She needs to have some uniqueness.
I agree. This is why I think they should have done a better job with her formally being a Christian and losing her faith.
~Queen Belle of Altanovia, Knight of Montreal & Order of Aristotle, Benevolent Dictator, Catspaw of the SS, & Dan's couch troll~
~"I’ve always found you to be a good person to disagree with." - Eleventh Doctor~
The Old Judge
Mint Chocolate Chip

Belle wrote:I agree. This is why I think they should have done a better job with her formally being a Christian and losing her faith.
Now, do you mean "formally," as is written, or "formerly." The context of what you said depends upon which word. Yes, Renee could have formally been a Christian as a young child. Perhaps her parents went to church and brought her or a church bus picked her up. \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ She could have been like many Americans and professed Christianity in a formal manner, but there is no salvation/indwelling Holy Spirit involved. Thus she could lose her so-called "faith" in that instance, especially over something that in hindsight is not utterly lifechanging.

However, she could not formerly have been a Christian, though she may have formerly lived a Christian life. She may have lost her faith, yes, but if she truly accepted Christ, even though she turned her back on Him, He did not consequently reject her. So, in this context, would you describe a Christian as simply one that is saved and professes Christ, or the view of the citizens of Antioch who dubbed people Christians if they lived the lifestyle?

Sorry to get deep. I'm in a thought-provoking mood. :wacky:

A song originally written by the authorship of pseudonyms "Ann Orson" and "Carte Blanche." (1976)
Do you think you know music? Guess the hints at the end of each of my posts in A Musical Journey. (The name's a link. You can click it.)
Doll
Rainbow Sherbet

The Old Judge wrote:
Belle wrote:I agree. This is why I think they should have done a better job with her formally being a Christian and losing her faith.
Now, do you mean "formally," as is written, or "formerly."
Formerly lived a Christian life is what I meant. I'm still getting over a sickness and jet lag so cut me some slack. ;)

But yes, I think this plot line could have been much better explored.
SirWhit
Banana Fudge

Agreed.

A dog? What? I'm, like, 99% sure it wasn't a dog...and I want a source on that from an actual episode or magazine or whatever, which I can't find on AIOWiki.
Doll
Rainbow Sherbet

SirWhit wrote:Agreed.

A dog? What? I'm, like, 99% sure it wasn't a dog...and I want a source on that from an actual episode or magazine or whatever, which I can't find on AIOWiki.
In the episode, she talks to her dog about her day. She tells Whit that she doesn't have faith because someone she loved very much died. She sang "Jesus Loves You" to this someone every night. At the end of the episode, she sings "Jesus Loves You" to the dog and then shuts off the computer program, revealing that the "dog" was just a computer program.
Tarol
Peach Cobbler

@Belle that's what they were saying? 0_0 Wow, that really flew over my head. xD

ALSO, the AIO podcast says Things Not Seen was going to be a normal album episode but Between the Lines became a two parter so Things Not Seen became an OAC episode.
xo eht haiasi-
Doll
Rainbow Sherbet

Isaiah the Ox wrote:@Belle that's what they were saying? 0_0 Wow, that really flew over my head. xD
Yep, that's my understanding, at least that's how all the pieces fit together.

Like I said, it could have been done better.
Isaiah the Ox wrote:ALSO, the AIO podcast says Things Not Seen was going to be a normal album episode but Between the Lines became a two parter so Things Not Seen became an OAC episode.
That rather stinks. This is an essential piece of her backstory, so if they plan on having her in the main episodes, part of her story will be missing. This is exactly what people were afraid of with the OAC, that episodes that fit into the story would be exclusive episodes only. :/
Tarol
Peach Cobbler

Biblical Proportions:

I absolutely hated the beginning of this episode. It was so awkward and it was /another/ new character (who's voice sounds very average and I kept thinking he was 12 other different characters). TBH, I never thought that if Leonard and Trent showed again it would be a bad episode, but I guess I was wrong. >_> The imaginations were just boring and awkward, I didn't get any of the references really, and it was just hard to listen to. AND THEN, they introduced the whole "Separation of Church and State" thing, which I was pretty worried about thinking how conservatively minded AIO is. However, I found the ending incredibly inspiring and I got chills, I am ashamed to admit. =p Queen Adelaide was the only good imagining in the whole episode, it was hilarious. xD Even if it was poking fun at Church and State separation advocates, I thought the episode as a whole was more or less vague enough that both sides of the argument could listen to it and interpret it their own way and still be happy with the episode. I feel like they redeemed Miss Adelaide a bit too, showing she's not all evil-and-cruel Athiest/Liberal/whatever-she-is. The ending definitely redeemed the whole episode for me, with the swelling music and random kids preaching. =p I especially liked how the Dad, or was it Whit?, said taking your Bible to school isn't the only way to tell others about Jesus. It seems stupid to think just carrying your Bible around is enough... wouldn't it be better just to talk to people about your faith instead of having an awkward carry-a-big-black-book-around day at school? AND, one more comment.... AIO... could you maybe once recognize homeschoolers? I know there was one episode you made on homeschoolers but it was lost/banned. I would wager a pretty large portion of AIO's audience is homeschooled [Ok, that might be a bit strong, put I would guess at least 30%, and /much/ more if the AIO forums accurately represent AIO fandom, but I would also wager pretty strongly they aren't =p], and they haven't once had a homeschooler or a homeschooler situation that we homeschoolers could relate too. Yes, I basically have learned about public schools from AIO, but I don't really think that's really a good thing... It would just be nice to have one of "us", you know? Even if it's badly represented. =p

#endrandomrant
xo eht haiasi-
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

Isaiah the Ox wrote:TBH, I never thought that if Leonard and Trent showed again it would be a bad episode, but I guess I was wrong. >_>
I didn't actually hear the episode, but Ox, you got my hopes up like a lot when you mentioned Trent, then I freaked out, went over to the AIOWiki and searched the episode...and he wasn't there. And now I'm sad. :(
it's not about 'deserve'. it's about what you believe. and i believe in love
Tarol
Peach Cobbler

TigerShadow wrote:I didn't actually hear the episode, but Ox, you got my hopes up like a lot when you mentioned Trent, then I freaked out, went over to the AIOWiki and searched the episode...and he wasn't there. And now I'm sad. :(
xD That was the point. :evil: #trolling

However, the reason I said that was because
All the imaginings reminded me of Trent. Jimmy and Lawrence too, but Trent is the most well known imaginer to me. And of course the kid's name was Leonard sooo
xo eht haiasi-
PennyBassett
Fudge Marble

You know what this episode reminded me of? It felt like a mix of A Change of Hart and ugh! I can't remember what it's called. The one with the kid that got punched in the face. I really loved this episode, it wasn't perfect, and I would agree with Isaiah, the imaginings were a bit strange and weren't clear enough for me to understand. Can we talk about Dion? I can't figure out if I like him or not or if I'm supposed to. Oh gosh. Sorry, I'm listening to the episode and Emily's southern accent....(cringing) Ok when Emily said she wanted to introduce Leonard to someone I REALLY hoped it was Buck. But well, it wasn't. (sigh) Ooo! I love it when Emily and Matthew go on a little rant about detective stuff. And I was happy to hear that Ms. Adelade was still around. Ok, Odyssey has explicitly mentioned Willy Wonka before so it bugged me that they changed the name for this episode only. At the beginning of the episode, I was almost hoping that there was something more to this family. The way Leonard said "Dad!" at the beginning gave me the first impression that he had been gone for a long time like maybe he was in the military or something and Leonard hadn't seen him for a few weeks. Ok, what's this "better Christian" thing? I mean I that a person can follow the Bible's teachings more carefully or follow laws that most people overlook, but Whit has NEVER talked about someone being a "better Christian" it really bothered me. Heh, when he talked about everything moving in slow motion I was just like "Hah! It's called on in Class." I think my favorite character, though, was Gavin, he was really great! I hope to see him in future episodes.
"Let me get this straight. I bet all those non-friends of yours try to embarrass you about your love for that stuff, right? So, you almost feel like you have to hide your treasures away and can only take them out in secret on rainy days when your mom goes to the store to get more liver and nobody is around to berate your sensitive spirit. Is that what you’re saying?" -Jay Smouse
MnM
Raspberry Ripple

At first, A Predicament of Biblical Proportions confused me, but after listening to it a couple times, I started to really like it. It had so many little funny parts! :lol: My favorite part is right after Leonard imagines Deon tying him to the train tracks, and he goes, "No, not the tracks!" and Deon goes, "What is your malfunction?" I don't know why, but that part cracked my up! I really hope Leonard shows up again, unlike Riley in "The Friend Formula".
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

...The heck?
ImageCould be fun.
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
Shadow
Peach Cobbler

Yes, it exists.
I'm Monty Whittaker's greatest fan. member of the K.R.E
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
PennyBassett
Fudge Marble

And that largely intimidating queen is Ms. Adelaide
"Let me get this straight. I bet all those non-friends of yours try to embarrass you about your love for that stuff, right? So, you almost feel like you have to hide your treasures away and can only take them out in secret on rainy days when your mom goes to the store to get more liver and nobody is around to berate your sensitive spirit. Is that what you’re saying?" -Jay Smouse
MnM
Raspberry Ripple

It's not half as bad as it looks. :D The only problem I have with it is that Buddy sounds so much older than he is pictured. Or maybe that's just me.