Blackgaard's Revenge -- A hit or miss?

Grab your AIO albums, and find a table! What makes your favorite episode the best? Have an episode you really dislike? This is the place to review and discuss AIO episodes and albums.

Did you enjoy Blackgaard's Revenge?

Hit! - It was awesome, and I think that everyone should lift it up on a pedestal for everyone plus your grandma to see.
26%
Mediocre - It's pretty good -- but I don't really think it's one of my favorites.
56%
Miss! - I hat---uh, strongly dislike, it! It's unrealistic and Dr. Blackgaard shouldn't have come back anyway, so...yeah. Don't like it.
19%

Total votes: 27

SirWhit
Banana Fudge

Blackgaard's Revenge -- A hit or miss?

The poll says it all. Did you or didn't you like it? As for me, I didn't like it that much. The music is great and so are the sound effects, but the plot is unrealistic (who ever heard of a computer program that can imprint a personality on a person?), and Dr. Blackgaard's threat that destroying him could destroy Aubrey is unrealistic. How can destroying a piece of software destroy, or even physically harm, a human being who exists in the real world?

Oh, by the way, I think the Imagination System should be looked at by the FCC. :lol:
HomeschoolCowgirl
Peach Cobbler

Mr. Whit's End wrote:Dr. Blackgaard's threat that destroying him could destroy Aubrey is unrealistic. How can destroying a piece of software destroy, or even physically harm, a human being who exists in the real world?
He's Dr. Blackgaard. He's lied before, he may be lying now, trying to intimidate Whit, or to scare Aubrey
"Musical training is a more potent instrument than any other, for rhythm and harmony find their way into the inner places of the soul... making the soul of one who is rightly educated, graceful" -- Socrates
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

It was delightful that Blackgaard "came back" in a way, and the IS is rather sci-fi so it's insignificant that it's perhaps somewhat hard to believe a computer program could take over someone's body, the point obviously wasn't to be something that is possible using only nonfictional technology but to make for a good story.
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
SirWhit
Banana Fudge

HomeschoolCowgirl wrote:
Mr. Whit's End wrote:Dr. Blackgaard's threat that destroying him could destroy Aubrey is unrealistic. How can destroying a piece of software destroy, or even physically harm, a human being who exists in the real world?
He's Dr. Blackgaard. He's lied before, he may be lying now, trying to intimidate Whit, or to scare Aubrey
I think it was Whit himself that said that if Aubrey entered the vortex, she could have been hurt badly.
Starflower1234
Cookies & Creme

I don't think it's unreasonable, in a made-up story, especially a kind of sci-fi story, for a computer program to 'take over' or 'possess', in a way, a person. I can think of at least one movie that has that in its plot. And if he did 'take over' Aubrey, hurting him could very well hurt her. While she is a real person and he is a computer program, if he had any control over her whatsoever and he was destroyed it could seriously hurt her because while he is not physically there he would have control over her mind. If he was destroyed it would also affect her mind, because he was kind of in her mind. That's also why Whit said she could be hurt if they just pulled her out of the IS or shut it down without any warning. Doing that could shock her mind, causing it damage. Sorry if I'm not making sense, but I can't explain it well. It's kind of like in the Mortal Coil. You wouldn't think a program could hurt Whit, but because of what was in the program, his mind was affected.
Anyway, it is not something that could happen today in real life, but neither is the Imagination Station. I enjoyed the episode even though it's not one of my favorites. There are still a few unrealistic parts, but it's exciting.
I made a promise, Mr. Frodo. A promise. "Don't you leave him Samwise Gamgee." And I don't mean to. I don't mean to. - Sam from The Fellowship of the Ring movie
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you! - Sam from The Return of the King movie
HomeschoolCowgirl
Peach Cobbler

Mr. Whit's End wrote:
HomeschoolCowgirl wrote:
I think it was Whit himself that said that if Aubrey entered the vortex, she could have been hurt badly.
True. Like, remember what happened to Lucy and Whit (The Mortal Coil, anyone?)?
"Musical training is a more potent instrument than any other, for rhythm and harmony find their way into the inner places of the soul... making the soul of one who is rightly educated, graceful" -- Socrates
Doll
Rainbow Sherbet

I honestly don't think it's too unrealistic...I think it's part of the AIO magic, that we don't quite understand how the IS works, but yet, it still seems realistic. :)
~Queen Belle of Altanovia, Knight of Montreal & Order of Aristotle, Benevolent Dictator, Catspaw of the SS, & Dan's couch troll~
~"I’ve always found you to be a good person to disagree with." - Eleventh Doctor~
ArnoldtheRubberDucky
Butter Pecan

It's interesting that I would stumble upon this topic now, because I just heard Blackgaard's Revenge for the first time in a long time a couple weeks ago. I found myself extremely disgusted with the storyline. It wasn't just how unrealistic it was. I found myself hardly caring about Aubrey's plight. Maybe it was just because I hated the actress who played her before Danielle Judovits took over, I don't know. Blackgaard also seemed less menacing. I found his exploits obnoxious, almost comical, and his evil laughs left me rolling my eyes. The team of Whit, Connie, and Eugene on the homefront was not as effective as it should have been. I found their discussions boring and I didn't see why there needed to be so many scenes with them. The only good scene, in my opinion, is the last one with Whit and Blackgaard's ultimate showdown. Overall, I can safely say this is the only action-adventure episode in AIO history that I truly loathe. Even other ones that I dislike (The Cross of Cortes, The Mystery of the Clock Tower) still have merits and parts that entertain me. Blackgaard's Revenge is the ultimate exception. The fact that it was marketed as the main Virtual Realities episode severely effected my ability to enjoy the album, along with the splits. Ultimately, this episode was a mistake, and, in my humble opinion, a candidate for the worst episode of all time, if only because it takes itself so seriously.
Sir Arnold, Knight of the Order of Augustine, Debate Vampire
Mr. Yorp wrote:You don't need a degree to shovel manure.
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

Mr. Thinker! I'm so happy to see you. Wait, no, I'm not. My KRE founding monster enemy.

Excellent critiques, as ever. To be honest, I did care about Audrey, in fact, more than I did in many previous episodes. Because here she talked about books (I have a soft spot there) and was genuinely thrilled to be travelling all over. Before, as I recall, she had mostly... well, just whined.

To be honest, I adore the whole thing. But, oh well. At least you came up with better reasons to dislike it than my Evil Clone. ;)

You dislike the Cross of Cortes? Yay, finally another. That thing was literally nothing but cliches from beginning to end. They were planning to do a whole album of travelling, but couldn't. Because of accents or something. I say, thank goodness.
Last edited by Pound Foolish on Tue May 05, 2015 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
Audrey
Cookies & Creme

Audrey? I think you mean Aubrey. It's okay, I'm always a better choice. XD I actually had this open, then left and came back, forgetting this was about Blackgaard's Revenge. Then I saw that you said Audrey talked about books and I was thinking, how did I get brought into this? Haha.

I think this episode is alright. A tad unrealistic, but Odyssey is made up of things like that. I enjoyed it a lot more when I was younger and more naive. =p
An owl and a squirrel are sitting in a tree, watching a farmer go by. The owl turns to the squirrel and says nothing, because owls can't talk. The owl then eats the squirrel because it is a bird of prey.
Nelson S.
Mint Chocolate Chip

I've actually never heard this episode. I've never had the chance. It doesn't really interest me anyway.
But maybe if I were to hear it my mind would change.
Novatom
Raspberry Ripple

This episode scared me so much. Just the beginning when Blackgaard's like, "oh, but of course you wouldn't recognize me in this form"(or whatever he says) and then peels away his face. I always used to fast forward through that part.

I don't find it that unrealistic, but Blackgaards cackles can become obnoxious and annoying after awhile.
17:39<Novatom>: I'm in another boat. A boat of people who don't know what everyone's talking about. A boat that is sinking.
17:40<Sameriazx>: oh no... here we go again...
Samantha14
Mint Chocolate Chip

The whole thing though is that I couldn't figure out it's intent. Was it merely a computer program, meant to simply hurt Whit by not only hurting a child he cares about in general, but in his invention, of all places? If so, when did he have time to make a computer program, and how did it go unnoticed until then? |:

I've only heard this episode once, and I must say, the understanding I got from it was more that that was Blackgaards soul.. not just a computer program. Because his existence and acting within it was not just a mechanical code programmed into existence, but was human -- and waited constantly to be able to take over Aubrey and have a second chance at existence outside his virtual reality. (Omg AIO dabbled in soul possession what)

I just really never understood everything. The actual intentions. It was so confusing... and not even the kind of confusing that can simply be answered "well it's the IS it can do anything". It's the kind of confusing nothing can solve because I can't even figure out what they were trying to get across. Mehhhh.
Jared DeWhite
Strawberry

The purpose was to expose the pagan idea that you can live on this earth forever. Creating a program with Blackgaard's mind data; extremely realistic.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/life-after- ... ind-clone/
Read next to last paragraph.
[url=ttps://archive.org/details/OperationNorthwoods]9/11 was an inside job.[/url]
Football is a massive god
Disney is a satanic propaganda spewing company.
Sponsored by iPhone 5nSa
SirWhit
Banana Fudge

Well that's just creepy...

But not realistic at the time the episode was created. That episode was (I think) 10+ years old when the article came out.
Jared DeWhite
Strawberry

There had been discussions of artificial intelligence ten years prior to this episode. Besides, people will probably always seek to live forever without God.

Apparently nobody thought mind control was possible either.
[url=ttps://archive.org/details/OperationNorthwoods]9/11 was an inside job.[/url]
Sponsored by iPhone 5nSa
SirWhit
Banana Fudge

Discussions, yes, but no practical expirements such as Bina48.
Blitz
Moose Tracks

I kinda liked the episode. I think it was beyond just mind control. It is a picture of what sin can do to you. It is a picture of how people have tried to live beyond their time. Whit's creation of a savior represents Jesus, in my opinion. It was a deep episode.
If the imagination station can do mind control, it would have the potential of imprinting memories and a person on you. Imagination requires something beyond just connecting with the visual part of your brain.
Debate Vampire

Everyone (Blitz doesn't count) fears ninjas, except for one: I, Ninjahunter

Can you change me from the monster you made me? Monster: Starset
Jared DeWhite
Strawberry

I'm referring to when Novacom used the IS for mind control.
Sponsored by iPhone 5nSa
Shadow
Peach Cobbler

This album episode is abhorrent and honestly one of the worst episodes of all time. This is a major reason in why Virtual Realities is my least favorite album.
I'm Monty Whittaker's greatest fan. member of the K.R.E
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: