727: Your Servant is Listening, Part 1

Grab your AIO albums, and find a table! What makes your favorite episode the best? Have an episode you really dislike? This is the place to review and discuss AIO episodes and albums.
Bren
Cookie Dough
Cookie Dough

727: Your Servant is Listening, Part 1

Discuss the newest episode.
Doll
Rainbow Sherbet

Camilla's new voice is certainly going to take some getting used to. I did enjoy this episode, but I was a little distracted while I was listening to it. Once part 2 comes out, I'll have to listen to them both back to back. :)
~Queen Belle of Altanovia, Knight of Montreal & Order of Aristotle, Benevolent Dictator, Catspaw of the SS, & Dan's couch troll~
~"I’ve always found you to be a good person to disagree with." - Eleventh Doctor~
Oliver
Cookies & Creme

ugh!! Camilla's voice sounds terrible! she sounds like she's 4!
LOTR IS AWESOME
Mara
Pistachio

I did like this episode so far, but I do agree that Camilla's voice is going to be hard to get used to.
Bethany Shepard
Moose Tracks

I love that story! I think it's great so far!

1#. I LOVE Camilla's new voice! I GREATLY disliked her voice before!
2#. I agree with Abuelita on Matthew's hair! :lol:
"I am not a demon. I am a lizard, a shark, a heat-seeking panther.
I want to be Bob Denver on acid playing the accordion."
-Nicolas Cage
Rosy
Cookie Dough

I like her new voice, I think it fits her way better than the old one. So far, it's a great episode. ^_^
꿈. 희망. 전진.
dolphinlovr4ever
Caramel Crunch

Loved it ; It was awsome
Bren
Cookie Dough
Cookie Dough

What bothered me was the pronunciation of Peninnah was wrong.
Striped Leopard
Cookies & Creme

I actually found myself really liking this episode. I probably won't have a final opinion on it until I hear the resolution next week, but overall I found this show to be to my liking. And it's funny, because this is the way I felt with "The Perfect Church" last season. It gave me new hope for Odyssey....and then I was let down by other episodes in the season. So I'm trying not to get my hopes too high after this one good episode. But I think it must be that I really like these biblical episodes. In "The Perfect Church," Matthew learned things directly from the Bible that applied to what he was experiencing in modern times. And it seems that Camilla is going to experience the same thing.

And I think that the issue that this episode explores is even more relevant than was the church conflict issue in the other one. In my own family I see several Camillas, who don't really get the point of reading their Bibles or praying consistently. And I thought Mrs. Parker had a very good point: They don't hear the voice of God in Scripture. They don't desire to spend time with God in His Word because they haven't yet come to truly know God. 1 Corinthians 2 says that the things of God are foolish and impossible to understand for those who don't have the Holy Spirit. Now, something tells me that the Odyssey writers aren't going to go so far as to say that Camilla isn't saved, but I still think that's an application we can derive.

But that's not the only lesson we learned in this episode. In a typical Odyssey episode, there's only one moral point that is trying to be brought across. But I was very impressed when I picked up on at least two other semi-related points. Not only did we begin to learn about the importance of reading our Bibles, but we learned about the nature and power of prayer, as well as the meaning of sacrifice in the Old and New Testaments. When the Parkers were noticing the animals around them in the marketplace, I thought to myself, "This would be a great opportunity for the writers to talk about Jesus!" And when Lucia went so far as to say that sacrifices were offered for the forgiveness of sins, I was pleased. But then she went the extra mile and described exactly what I was hoping for! That the sacrifices required under the Law of Moses were pointing to the ultimate sacrifice: Jesus! I was very happy to hear that explained in a way that kids could understand. I've found that not many people understand that connecting strand between the Old and New Testaments these days, so I'm thrilled that AIO took the opportunity to explain such a core Christian concept in the language of kids.

On the more superficial side of things, I know people have been complaining about Camilla's new voice....but I really didn't mind it at all. I think the former Camilla had a more annoying voice, personally. Plus, she was starting to sound too old for the part, so I thought it was a good decision. And the new actress sounds so similar to Sydney Shiotani that I think it would have taken me a good while to notice had I not heard about the interview with her on the Official Podcast.

I actually surprised myself and liked the part that Lucia played in this episode as well. At the beginning, she wasn't that great, but during the actual adventure I thought she was a great asset to the story. She added some elderly comic relief, as well as a good amount of wisdom. She almost felt to me like she was playing the part that Wooton used to play, once upon a time. She was funny, but that never came at the expense of her maturity and wisdom. If she can maintain this balance, I would not at all mind seeing her more often on the show.

And then Eva. I liked her just about as much as I usually do. She's not the greatest of characters, but her actress does a good job with her, so she didn't bother me. She's always seemed to me to be somewhat of a pushover when it comes to handling her children, and that showed through a little bit in this episode, but it wasn't too bad. And then I thought it was cool that she got to use her nursing skills (wasn't this the first time ever on the show?) to help deliver Samuel.

I think one of the best things about this episode for me was that Mr. Whittaker was not involved. I know that sounds wrong, but I think it was a good break to have a show where Whit was not the only delivering the moral in a short lecture at the end. Now, that could be coming in Part 2, but for now, I'm very happy with the way it is, without him.
Formerly Christian A. :)
Jeremiah 13:23
Ezekiel 36:26-27
Ephesians 2:4-10

God has done the impossible! He has, in effect, changed a leopard's spots into stripes! He turned me, one who was accustomed to do evil, into one who can walk in good works! He brought me to life from the dead and gave me His Spirit, in order to cause me to walk in His statutes! He has totally changed me, and it is all for His glory!
ArnoldtheRubberDucky
Butter Pecan

Just posted a review at JAAIOB for Pt. 1.
Sir Arnold, Knight of the Order of Augustine, Debate Vampire
Mr. Yorp wrote:You don't need a degree to shovel manure.
Bethany Shepard
Moose Tracks

Christian A. wrote: I think one of the best things about this episode for me was that Mr. Whittaker was not involved. I know that sounds wrong, but I think it was a good break to have a show where Whit was not the only delivering the moral in a short lecture at the end. Now, that could be coming in Part 2, but for now, I'm very happy with the way it is, without him.
I concur! It's nice to have a break!

I love the story of Hannah and Samuel!
"I am not a demon. I am a lizard, a shark, a heat-seeking panther.
I want to be Bob Denver on acid playing the accordion."
-Nicolas Cage
The Old Judge
Mint Chocolate Chip

I doubt he will, as the AIOWiki says that Whit only appears in eight episodes this album.
Do you think you know music? Guess the hints at the end of each of my posts in A Musical Journey. (The name's a link. You can click it.)
Jason
Cookies & Creme

The Old Judge wrote:I doubt he will, as the AIOWiki says that Whit only appears in eight episodes this album.
The aiowiki is only as acurate as the information comes to people editing it. The information currently available has been found on the whit's End site, but those characters arent always all the characters or even the right characters. Once the episodes release by download there will be a more accurate listing of characters in the episode pages.

I was very impressed with this episode. I loved the angle of hearing God's voice and how they portrayed that with the angle of Hannah and samuel. The conversation Hannah had with camilla was great, and was really deep. I really have high hopes for the rest of the album.
ArnoldtheRubberDucky
Butter Pecan

...And my review of Pt. 2 is up.
Samantha14
Mint Chocolate Chip

Hmmmm. Let me see.

This episode is 50/50 for me so far. In a way, I love it. I guess I'll start with that first.

Three generations in the IS at once. That was great. I only recall one..? Other time that even two generations of the same family went in the IS at once. And that wasn't even fully intentional! I loved every second of it. Very very much so.

And as I've always loved Lucia, that was great. I happened to enjoy her more this time than ever before. ("That mop on his head..." xD ) Eva... Meh. Give or take. I've never really loved her, but I don't despise her either.

As for Camilla... I'm having mixed feelings. As for the character itself, it's amazing. So much character development in just one episode. (And then there's the second.) I loved every minute of it.

However, her voice... >_< I couldn't stand it. I. Could. Not. Stand. It. I mean, if she had been the original voice actress, that would be one thing. I have nothing against her, and she is incredibly talented. But as Camilla... Oi. It just didn't work. . .

Now, with the Bible characters, they were excellent. Exactly how I've always pictured them. We felt the hurt and anger and frustration that Hannah felt when Peniah acted so cruelly against her, and she could not conceive. All of them felt so accurate. That was wonderful.

My only complaint (Besides the voice) that really caused such a drastic change in my liking for this episode, was the scene where Samuel was born. I was talking to God's Girl on the ToO Chat as I was listening to it. Here's what we said:
13:28 <Sam>: I like it so far. But I found it odd that they created the scene with her actually giving birth... >_> <_<
13:30 <Doll|Away>: Yeah, I was surprised at that too.
13:31 <Sam>: Even when they had that one episode with Eugene getting his licence it wasn't as... Graphic? I guess as that. It was sort of a disappointment. Not that it's like "bad" or anything. But, I mean, if you think about all the little kids listening...
13:33 <Doll|Away>: Yeah, little kids thinking Mr. Whittaker would actually put that in an IS adventure too..
13:34 <Sam>: Yeah. What Lucia said about it.. I was thinking the same thing. I can't help but be somewhat disappointed in them. I mean.. Parents try so hard to keep that kind of content out of the things their kids watch and read... And now they have to worry about AIO having it to? It's a little disturbing....
I guess that pretty much sums it up for me. I don't know what happened, but I don't like it. I mean, sure, most younger kids (At least in a public school setting) already know those kinds of things. And, as I said, it's not like it's "bad"- It's a fact of life. But, that doesn't mean they had to actually portray the scene like they did. (I felt the same way in Back to Bethlehem... But that's another story. [And it wasn't as bad, if I remember correctly. >_>] )
I don't know. I was just disturbed somewhat by that episode. It feels like it would be a red flag for a lot of parents. Maybe even a mute button being involved. I'm just sad to say that... What happened to my Odyssey? :(

Now then. I give this episode (That's part one and two) 7/10. It was great, and it was disappointing. I loved the Biblical references, and how well everything worked out. But I'm also disappointed in the AIO team somewhat. I guess that's all I can say right now...
ArnoldtheRubberDucky
Butter Pecan

Hmm... I didn't see any problem with the birth scene. It's an audio drama. There was nothing graphic about it. And it doesn't make any sense to leave it out.
Striped Leopard
Cookies & Creme

Another reason I just thought of for why it makes sense to include this scene is the character of Eva. She really didn't have much of a place in the story up to that point. Then she was able to use her skills as a nurse to help deliver the baby and ensure that Hannah was doing okay. I really cannot see why there should be any issue with this...
Formerly Christian A. :)
Jeremiah 13:23
Ezekiel 36:26-27
Ephesians 2:4-10

God has done the impossible! He has, in effect, changed a leopard's spots into stripes! He turned me, one who was accustomed to do evil, into one who can walk in good works! He brought me to life from the dead and gave me His Spirit, in order to cause me to walk in His statutes! He has totally changed me, and it is all for His glory!
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

God's Girl wrote:Camilla's new voice is certainly going to take some getting used to. I did enjoy this episode, but I was a little distracted while I was listening to it. Once part 2 comes out, I'll have to listen to them both back to back. :)
I and my family were visiting my cousins in Texas. While at Texas, I was on here a lot less than usual. (So I actually had to be creative how I entertained myself. Wow.)
We packed the essentials: clothes, hairbrush, books... five whole AIO albums. Our cousins, already a little familiar with Odyssey, fell in love with them. Soon, most of them wanted to hear it every day, just like us. So when I found Your Servant is Listening to be out, and my sister let out high pitched squeals (a little higher than mine, even) I was thrilled to share it with them. We were surprised by Camilla's new voice. But we took it in stride and enjoyed the extraordinary first part, and part two next week.
So then I popped into SS to see what everyone thought.... And I read Blondie's noncommital, unexcited sounding post, Oliver whining about the new voice, Froggy whining about the voice... Voice, voice, voice. ... Really, people? It's the first episode of the season, and everyone is already being critical.
Now, I enjoyed Christian and my Froggy's reviews, but that initial experience is still bothersome.
I'm glad to be on SS again, but it was nice to just enjoy an Odyssey episode without worrying what you guys thought. And know what? Those cousins adored the newer Wooton, laughed at Grandma's visit... and know who their favorite character was? And I mean favorite. My cousin Clara gasped in wide-mouthed delight when my sister, Colette, told her this character was in an episode we were starting. She is one of the only characters to garner remarks from older and younger cousins alike such as, "She's awesome" and "I love her." Know who?
PENNY, that's who! In your FACES, Penny haters!
And they said they liked Emily, and one said she didn't like Matthew very much. (WOW, this feels good.) I could go on. In short: we blabbing hotheads online aren't the only ones with an opinion. Children enjoyed it. That says something, doesn't it?
Camilla learned so much in the course of those episodes, and grew closer to Jesus. A little girl. Complaining about sweeping, experiencing the Imagination Station, with her faith in balance of one hour of virtual reality entertainment. There's something poetical about that... a little girl entertaining other kids, voiced by a real, young girl, a talented one. Even as I and my siblings were sad to see Sydney go, we were delighted by the new actress.
Children. They are the ones these shows are made for.
In the end, isn't one child enjoying a show worth more than all our complaints?
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
Novatom
Raspberry Ripple

I thought the episode was pretty good. Camilla's new voice is different than her old one but I felt like I was Camilla at the beginning. Even though I don't like most of the Bible episodes, for this one I had to make an exception.
17:39<Novatom>: I'm in another boat. A boat of people who don't know what everyone's talking about. A boat that is sinking.
17:40<Sameriazx>: oh no... here we go again...
Wodfamchocsod
Cookies & Creme

AIO felt that a new younger voice (even though I personally liked the older one) would bring the Parker family where they needed to be...her old voice was making the Parker family older, if that makes sense.
Girls just wanna have fun!