An Act of Nobility

Grab your AIO albums, and find a table! What makes your favorite episode the best? Have an episode you really dislike? This is the place to review and discuss AIO episodes and albums.
Ameraka
Fudge Marble

An Act of Nobility

What do you think of this episode?

Do you think that Whit was James Armor?

If so, do you think that James Armor was his alias while he was there, or did he make it up for the story to preserve his anonymity?

When exactly would he have gone there? Some time post-war, probably, but for what? Doing research for Universal Press, or for the Agency perhaps?

My book, Justice Lost, is on Amazon Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JM1XFCI
Jason
Cookies & Creme

This is a fantastic episode. I do think there are a couple possiblities. It could be a story he made up, about some he knew, or about himself.

1. Whit is a fantastic story teller, and has written several stories/plays that teach a point. He could have come up with a story on the fly, or took one that he knew, adjust it and use it for his purposes. But then there's the watch sound at the end that makes you wonder. However, the sound itself doesn't really suggest one way or another. From the story we know that the watch makes a song, but as Whit told the story to the child, the child couldn't hear the sound of the watch. The sound is only there to make us wonder. Though it could just imply where the sound for the watch in the story came from; inspired by the one he owns.

2. The story could have been one passed down from a friend or more likely a relative. If the watch is the same watch, it is possible that said relative gave John the token before he passed away. James Armor, John Avery? The resemblance could imply a relative even though we don't know the last name.

3. And lastly he could have actually experienced this for himself. If you take the watch sound at the end as an indicator, it could very well mean that he experienced this whole story. And perhaps the uncanny resemblance pointed out above is more than uncanny. Perhaps, he simply changed the name to serve as an alias for the story. If it actually happened to Whit, it would be difficult to place when it happened. But as you said it's very likely it would be post-war doing research for universal press.

Depending on which possibility you believe tends to change the way you look at Whit, especially if you believe the last one. I'm more inclined to believe that it was a relative that gave the watch to John to keep in the family.
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

It's a classic reveal: a character tells a "fictional" story but you have your suspicions. Then at the very end, out comes something from the "story", showing it actually happened, and your left with a happy feeling that the story was true... in a fictional sense.
So it never occurred to me to question how Whit could be "James", I always assumed he made that up. Still, that's hardly enough confusion to make you think Whit made up a story based on some watch a family member gave him, Jason. After all, the dramatic working only lines up if Whit was James... Unless he was the rotten prince, and the prince had another watch like it! Now that's an idea. Maybe all this time, Whit's been an English prince!
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
Jason
Cookies & Creme

Pound Foolish wrote:It's a classic reveal: a character tells a "fictional" story but you have your suspicions. Then at the very end, out comes something from the "story", showing it actually happened, and your left with a happy feeling that the story was true... in a fictional sense.
So it never occurred to me to question how Whit could be "James", I always assumed he made that up. Still, that's hardly enough confusion to make you think Whit made up a story based on some watch a family member gave him, Jason. After all, the dramatic working only lines up if Whit was James... Unless he was the rotten prince, and the prince had another watch like it! Now that's an idea. Maybe all this time, Whit's been an English prince!
The episode itself neither confirms nor denies whether James was John is all I'm saying. It's not that far fetched to say that the watch was a family heirloom, and that a family member experienced this. It's possible albeit unlikely. (I changed my mind since my last post...)While not far fetched, that's probably not what the writer's were intending.

To me it does allude to Whit being James. But at the same time, it only alludes this because we as the audience heard both the watch in the story and the watch in his pocket. So it would also line up that Whit could have adapted another famous story to teach his point. The point being there really isn't enough proof to say that Whit is definitely James. The sound in the story could have been referencing the one in his pocket, but perhaps not in the way you would think. If the story is in Whit's imagination, he could be referring to what he knows a watch would sound like. In any case I'm more inclined to believe that he himself did not experience the story of James Amor.
Ameraka
Fudge Marble

I think it is an intriguing story partly because it leaves it open ended, leaving the audience to wonder... It would be cool it it were Whit, adding an interesting dimension to his past.

gabbygirl17
Mint Chocolate Chip

Yeah the sound at the end can make you wonder! I havent listened to it in a long time!
"Your words were found, and I ate them, and your words became to me a joy and the delight of my heart, for I am called by your name, O Lord, God of hosts." - Jeremiah 15:16
Vic
Chocolate Chip

James was totes Whit! James. John. Both start with J. Boom. Proof.
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

You're a detective, my dear. And good to see you make a post again.
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
Ameraka
Fudge Marble

Vic wrote:James was totes Whit! James. John. Both start with J. Boom. Proof.
& Armor = Avery!....

Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

Hmm... very likely.
It's an odd episode. It doesn't really tie in with anything else we know about Whit. It's a good listen, but it's a rather random chapter to add to Whit's life which is already more dramatic than is quite plausible.