What's that episode

Grab your AIO albums, and find a table! What makes your favorite episode the best? Have an episode you really dislike? This is the place to review and discuss AIO episodes and albums.
Didi
Cookies & Creme

What's that episode

I'm not sure if this is already a thread but I started it anyway. Cause sometimes I can't think of the NAME of the episode and it drives me nuts cause I want to listen to it.

Do you guys know the name of the episode where Dr. Blackgaard tries to blow up Whit's End and they think Jason is dead but then he and his dad get together and he says "Jacob wrestled the angel"?
"I was born with white vans on"
"Vans weren't even popular when you were born"
K.R.E.
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

You're thinking of both "The Final Conflict" (Blackgaard tries to blow up Whit's End) and "Accidental Dilemma, Parts 1 and 2" (where Jason fakes his death with the repeated Jacob/Israel motif).
it's not about 'deserve'. it's about what you believe. and i believe in love
Didi
Cookies & Creme

Ok I remember once I listened to an episode and I think it was when Connie met Jeff Lewis, and then she walked out or something when he said he wasn't going to become a Christian. So, what's the episode Connie met Jeff Lewis? It's bothering me so much.
K.R.E.
GJFH
Peanut Butter Cup

I believe you mean "First Love."
I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us - Romans 8:18

It’s not enough to be against something. You have to be for something better. – Tony Stark
Didi
Cookies & Creme

GJFH wrote:I believe you mean "First Love."
Ahh! Thanks so much! \:D/
K.R.E.
Jo March
Raspberry Ripple

What is the name of the episode where Jack first meets Joanne? help please
Jo March
"There is no such thing as impossible. The word itself says I'm possible."-Audrey Hepburn
“You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.” –C.S. Lewis
“No one ever made a difference by being like everyone else.” P.T. Barnum
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

"The Decision", from Album 28.
it's not about 'deserve'. it's about what you believe. and i believe in love
Jo March
Raspberry Ripple

Thanks! That helps. I have been trying to figure that out for a LLLOONNGGGG time.

-- Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:17 pm --

What is the episode where Eugene says(He's mad or in a panic) "And lacking the wisdom of Solomon, he..."? I can't remember and It's about to drive me insane.
Thanks!
Jo March
"There is no such thing as impossible. The word itself says I'm possible."-Audrey Hepburn
“You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.” –C.S. Lewis
“No one ever made a difference by being like everyone else.” P.T. Barnum
HurchinIsAbsurd
Vanilla

I remember that there was once an episode where in the opening Whit said "Whaddya know, it works!" after saying "Let's see if this thing works...", instead of his invention screwing up (like usual in the opening) and him segueing into the episode.

Does anyone know what episode this was? I'm highly confident it exists.
Polehaus53
Cookies & Creme

HurchinIsAbsurd wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:17 pm
I remember that there was once an episode where in the opening Whit said "Whaddya know, it works!" after saying "Let's see if this thing works...", instead of his invention screwing up (like usual in the opening) and him segueing into the episode.

Ah, yes, the old intro with Whit working on one of his inventions, a classic. :yes: Yeah, there are a TON of intros with the invention usually needing "a little more work". It was very rare when it worked (which is kind of sad), so I have a hard time remembering the instances where the invention works instead of going crazy.
Two episodes which come to mind that I know for sure this happens are “Castles and Cauldrons, Part 1” and “Better Late than Never”. I’m sure there might be others, but I can’t recall them.
-Signed, PolehausFifty-three

Member of The Emily Rules Klub (est. 2012)

“We have it translated in every language: (กฎของเอมิลี่, Emily es la mejor, 艾米莉规则, Emily Quy tắc!, エミリーは最高です, emilyyay ulesray!, Эмили Правила!, Emily é a melhor, एमिली नियम!, Emily est la meilleure!, إميلي هي الأفضل!, Emily Kuralları!, אמילי שולטת!, Emily Regeln!, 에밀리 담당!, Si Emily ang pinakamahusay!, എമിലി രാജ്ഞിയാണ്!, એમિલી નિયમો!) that Emily RULES!”~The E.R.K.
djchatswithu
Cookies & Creme

HurchinIsAbsurd wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:17 pm

if you have the lost episodes album it's in two or three of the latter episodes.
HurchinIsAbsurd
Vanilla

Thanks, both of you!
Bob
Caramel Crunch

AIOWiki suggests this theme was the main version from 1990-91; if so that would be only slightly shorter than the run the better-known 'doesn't work' theme had. I agree that it feels rare, though.

I suspect that many episodes from this time period used either a short version of the intro (like in "Missing Person" or "Pranks for the Memories") or a completely unusual one (like "Back to Bethlehem"), making the version with Whit's working machine appear less than one would expect based on the wiki information.

My hypothesis: The intro type was chosen based on how long the episode runs (including Chris' skits or other dialogue). If it's shorter, then they have time to go for the whole intro. If it's longer, then they used one of several different 'short versions', none of which are memorable enough to stand out like the full one does.

It'd take actually listening to the episodes, or asking a crew member, to verify this, but it seems reasonable and in line with the few episodes available on the radio right now.

UPDATE:
"Wishful Thinking" includes a variant of the 'doesn't work' intro. The dialogue is similar to the older version, but Hal Smith's voice delivery is completely different. This might help explain why the 'working' intro is so rare.

___
Jo March wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:46 am
What is the episode where Eugene says(He's mad or in a panic) "And lacking the wisdom of Solomon, he..."? I can't remember and It's about to drive me insane.
Thanks!
This is pretty old, but for the record, I think this quote is from "The Graduate". Eugene is explaining why he wasn't valedictorian (losing out to Larry Kent in a class vote, which he didn't stay in town to be present for).
A classic never goes out of style.
HurchinIsAbsurd
Vanilla

Thanks! (and sorry for late response)
After doing some research on the AIO Wiki, I found this page:
https://www.aiowiki.com/wiki/Category:E ... tion_intro
The episodes are divided into two categories: 0 and 1. At first i thought 0 was the 'does work' intro and 1 is the 'doesn't work' intro, but after listening to the intro of some of the episodes my self, plenty were incorrect. Castles and Cauldrons pt.1 has the 'does work' intro, but in pt.2 it's 'back to the drawing board' for Whit. (pt.2 includes a variant of the 'doesn't work' intro with different lines where whit says "It's back to the drawing board for that one". I do not remember hearing anything about a drawing board from what I can remember in my distant past, therefore I consider this intro a variant.)
I suspect 0 and 1 are categorizing the runtime the intros rather than the general idea/script.