Game Night

Grab your AIO albums, and find a table! What makes your favorite episode the best? Have an episode you really dislike? This is the place to review and discuss AIO episodes and albums.
ASmouseInTheHouse
Cookies & Creme

Game Night

The first episode of Album 74 is out!
It's interesting to see the aftermath of 28 Hours. I have a feeling that Jillian won't be able to pretend much longer.
Jason/Jillian Taboo was hilarious, though. :lol:
"Next up, Mark Morgan's message to all math maniacs in the middle school is meaningful if you mingle by the mezzanine for a momentous mix of methodological mayhem and a menagerie of multiplicative inversions. Ha ha ha! I bet I could say this backwards. Inversions multiplicative of menagerie a and mayhem methodological..."
djchatswithu
Cookies & Creme

I believe they mentioned this episode in a recent podcast, with it all taking place at Connie's house.
It's interesting that despite being called "game night" most of the episode is set in between the games. It was kind of fun hearing Jillian switch between 'modes', and the fact that Jason basically wanted her to reveal her secret just to win a trivia game. favourite lines have to be "Ooh, three strikes, what are you gonna do, send us to the corner?!" and "who knew Whit would be the first person in timeout?" overall this was quite an enjoyable episode.
Polehaus53
Cookies & Creme

I’m a little behind, but here are some of my thoughts on this episode:
I liked that we have an aftermath episode after all the action from the pervious album. Having Jillian switch back and forth from her clueless personality to her real one was most interesting to hear. I don’t quite know what to think of Jillian needing to put on an act in front of others who aren’t in on her secret.

It’s a pretty complicated process: Jillian can’t act normal around Wooton and Penny because they don’t know that she’s actually a competent human. But around Whit, Connie and Jason, a group who does know her secret, she can act normally. However, when she’s with a group consisting of both those who know her secret and those who don’t know, she has to default to her airheaded personality for those who don’t know her secret. Very complex. This performance annoys those who do know her secret, since they are now aware that Jillian has another side in which she can act normally. Having a little bit of these two sides of Jillian at play at the same time was quite interesting to see in this episode. I have a feeling that we’ll see more of this in future episodes, except that Jillian’s split personality will impact something more serious than some board games.
For me, I had a little bit of difficulty keeping it straight whether Jillian was acting normal or if she was acting on a lower level of flighty-ness around Wooton and Penny.

Connie hosting a game night was a pretty fun idea. However, everyone’s got a set of rules to follow, or else go sit in the corner. I liked how Connie had the three-strikes-and-you’re-out system in play the whole time. It added some fun moments of everyone having to sneak away where Connie couldn’t hear them to break the rules: Wooton talking about his problems at home to Penny, Jillian and Jason being too competitive and talking about work, and Whit being competitive. And every time she caught someone and gave them a strike had me on the edge of my seat wondering who would be out next. I definitely did not expect Whit to be the first one to go to the corner. Wooton calling him a “misbehaving man in the corner” made me laugh. :lol:

Whit was quite interesting in this episode. It is not very often when we see his competitive side. We’ve seen it come out a bit when he hangs around Wilson Knox, but I don’t think we’ve ever seen it between him and Jason. It was pretty funny to hear how Jason cheated when he was kid at croquet. Magnetic paint sounds like a pretty fun way to make a game more interesting. Perhaps I should I buy some. The part where Whit loses his temper when badgered about the bruise on his face was interesting. I know there were some listeners who thought this was unlike him, but I personally didn’t find it too out of character. He was humble about it and voluntarily accepted (and even insisted on) his condemnation to the corner when called out.

The scene where Penny starts screaming about all the ants behind the bookshelf and abruptly hangs up was funny. :lol: I’m wondering what all the noise on her end was? Why was there glass breaking? Was the exterminator moving the shelf and things were falling off it? Or was Penny throwing things at the ants? Whatever the case may be, she was able to play the next game in the next scene, so I guess the exterminator told her to wait in another room. It was a pretty serious ant problem. This goes to show the importance of not leaving popsicles out.

I found it pretty interesting that Penny was in the episode at Connie’s house but at the same time she technically was not really present because she’s heard on the phone the whole time. I’m wondering what caused that. Was Kimmy Robertson unavailable and they recorded her remotely, adjusting the script so that she’d be at home with the exterminators? Or was the episode actually written so that Penny would be there but at the same time not be there? But either way, I think it worked pretty well! Wooton was able to explain what was going on and what exactly everyone was doing to Penny (and the listeners at the same time) without it feeling unnecessary.

I liked the scene with Wooton and Penny playing Taboo and getting a whole bunch of the words right with brief prompts. It reminds me of when I play with my sibling, we actually play very much like Wooton and Penny, except we get the words by making Odyssey references! \:D/ I thought it was pretty clever how Jason was able to think like airheaded Jillian and was able to win in a similar way. The prompts he gave and answers he got were pretty funny; I’m going to reference the Leaning Tower of Eiffel and see what reaction I get. And I think I’ll also begin studying in radiology so that I can discover the best music stations. :lol: Also, I agree with Penny that stovepipe hats need to make a comeback! :yes:

I liked the moral of the episode. We see that Connie has motive behind her rules: she just wants to forget about her life’s problems and have some enjoyment with her friends. Whit’s point that friends should bear each other’s burdens was valid, but I feel like Connie kind of just brushed it off, saying she doesn’t want that at the moment. However, I think the episode rectified that: it showed the importance of friends being there to encourage one another in hard times. One way to do this is to be there for them and through their interactions of having fun give them encouragement. That’s what Connie wanted and hoped to achieve through the rules, but it didn’t go too well. But she eventually got what she needed at the end when she was honest with everyone about her problems. She (and everyone else) realizes how ridiculous her sitting in the corner was, and everyone was able to laugh about it and enjoy each other’s company as a whole. Which is just what she needed: to laugh with her friends.

Overall, I think this episode was good and I can say that I liked it!
-Signed, PolehausFifty-three

Member of The Emily Rules Klub (est. 2012)

“We have it translated in every language: (กฎของเอมิลี่, Emily es la mejor, 艾米莉规则, Emily Quy tắc!, エミリーは最高です, emilyyay ulesray!, Эмили Правила!, Emily é a melhor, एमिली नियम!, Emily est la meilleure!, إميلي هي الأفضل!, Emily Kuralları!, אמילי שולטת!, Emily Regeln!, 에밀리 담당!, Si Emily ang pinakamahusay!, എമിലി രാജ്ഞിയാണ്!, એમિલી નિયમો!) that Emily RULES!”~The E.R.K.
Tarol
Peach Cobbler

After listening a few times, I feel like this episode has a deeper meaning. If we think about the loss of Will Ryan and his relation to Katie, then Katie (Connie) has had a sad year... And hanging out with AIO friends would be totally be a joy too. Definitely adds a new dimension, especially since this episode should have Eugene in it (although honestly it works well without him, but he /should/ be there).

I really enjoyed the fact that Connie kind of learned that all she needed was to talk about her problems... But I mostly disagree with the premise of hosting a party to ignore problems. I think this episode explains why that doesn't work, but I personally think Whit should have scolded her for attempting to ignore her problems... But maybe that's just me. I think especially because Chris mentions "and sometimes put them in the corner!" at the end is encouraging a party like this, and that makes me a little icky. But is that just me?

I really enjoyed this episode. I loved the humor, with Jason's "God" one-liner and then the Julian/Jason description game. Also, using Penny as a plot device to help describe what is going on is great writing.
xo eht haiasi-
djchatswithu
Cookies & Creme

in regards to Penny sounding different, I might I know why. in a Q&A Katie, Kimmy, Townsend and Chris did Kimmy revealed she wasn't at a recording session in the studio with the other actors because at the time she hadn't been vaccinated. also wish Will had been able to do this ep, E and K would have wiped the board in the trivia section (unless the Taj Mahal was brought up!)