#949 Dead of Night

Grab your AIO albums, and find a table! What makes your favorite episode the best? Have an episode you really dislike? This is the place to review and discuss AIO episodes and albums.
Patterson
Strawberry

#949 Dead of Night

I haven’t been active on the forums for a while because I started my first job a couple months ago, but at least my work is usually something I can do while listening to something. So, I finally gave in and subscribed to the club.

Here’s my thoughts on 28 Hours so far. I listened to 1-4 back to back yesterday, so it’s kinda hard to remember which specific episode some things happened in.

Contains spoilers for Morning, Afternoon, Evening, and Dead of Night.
I relate with Connie at the start of Morning. During my second week of my job, my car died three times in one day and had to call a coworker to jump it. Now I carry my own set of jumper cables.

Jason said something about Joanne forgetting to lock up. So this means Jack and Joanne are canonically back in Odyssey? I guess they were just vacationing in Scotland, but Odyssey time is weird, so I figured they were still over there.

Jillian seemed a little more stupid than usual at the beginning. I guess that makes sense considering the reveal that she’s an NSA agent. It’s kinda that trope where the character is a bad actor all of a sudden right before they show their true colors. Hans from Frozen is another good example of this trope.

Jillian is an agent! I loved some of the lines Jason and Connie roasted her with after they respectively found out.

I’ve never liked Jillian, but personal opinion aside, I think Jillian is Cobra Orange. She’s definitely acting suspicious at the end of Dead of Night. Earlier, when she was acting stupid, she even name dropped orange saying she thinks orange is Stew Burke’s color. So orange is likely on her mind, and in the chance that she isn’t Cobra Orange, she’s probably looking for him. In a mystery story, what we call coincidence is really the workings of the writer.

When I first heard Jillian say orange is Stew Burke’s color, I thought “Nah, I bet blue is his color.”
“I am your man in blue and I’m so in love with you”-Stew Burke. I know blue is referring to him being a cop, but the song popped into my head anyway. Good to hear from Officer Burke again. I do wonder where Martin is though.

Interesting that the chairman is back. My first thought was “Wouldn’t it be cool if it was a different chairman than Andromeda’s?” but Jason has a brain chip, so yeah, it’s the same one. I hope that brain chip is used more in future episodes as it has interesting implications.

I really hope that this is the start of a new story arc and not self contained to the album. Fans have been waiting for the chairman’s return so long, I hope they make his eventual defeat something truly epic.

It's possible that they might not ultimately defeat the chairman even if they stop him again though. If I remember right, some old Odyssey behind the scenes thing said the writers considered the idea of not killing off Dr Blackgaard years ago, saying "evil never sleeps," so it's possible the chairman might never be ultimately stopped if they consider that again.
djchatswithu
Cookies & Creme

Patterson wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:47 pm
I haven’t been active on the forums for a while because I started my first job a couple months ago, but at least my work is usually something I can do while listening to something. So, I finally gave in and subscribed to the club.

Here’s my thoughts on 28 Hours so far. I listened to 1-4 back to back yesterday, so it’s kinda hard to remember which specific episode some things happened in.

Contains spoilers for Morning, Afternoon, Evening, and Dead of Night.
I relate with Connie at the start of Morning. During my second week of my job, my car died three times in one day and had to call a coworker to jump it. Now I carry my own set of jumper cables.

Jason said something about Joanne forgetting to lock up. So this means Jack and Joanne are canonically back in Odyssey? I guess they were just vacationing in Scotland, but Odyssey time is weird, so I figured they were still over there.

Jillian seemed a little more stupid than usual at the beginning. I guess that makes sense considering the reveal that she’s an NSA agent. It’s kinda that trope where the character is a bad actor all of a sudden right before they show their true colors. Hans from Frozen is another good example of this trope.

Jillian is an agent! I loved some of the lines Jason and Connie roasted her with after they respectively found out.

I’ve never liked Jillian, but personal opinion aside, I think Jillian is Cobra Orange. She’s definitely acting suspicious at the end of Dead of Night. Earlier, when she was acting stupid, she even name dropped orange saying she thinks orange is Stew Burke’s color. So orange is likely on her mind, and in the chance that she isn’t Cobra Orange, she’s probably looking for him. In a mystery story, what we call coincidence is really the workings of the writer.

When I first heard Jillian say orange is Stew Burke’s color, I thought “Nah, I bet blue is his color.”
“I am your man in blue and I’m so in love with you”-Stew Burke. I know blue is referring to him being a cop, but the song popped into my head anyway. Good to hear from Officer Burke again. I do wonder where Martin is though.

Interesting that the chairman is back. My first thought was “Wouldn’t it be cool if it was a different chairman than Andromeda’s?” but Jason has a brain chip, so yeah, it’s the same one. I hope that brain chip is used more in future episodes as it has interesting implications.

I really hope that this is the start of a new story arc and not self contained to the album. Fans have been waiting for the chairman’s return so long, I hope they make his eventual defeat something truly epic.

It's possible that they might not ultimately defeat the chairman even if they stop him again though. If I remember right, some old Odyssey behind the scenes thing said the writers considered the idea of not killing off Dr Blackgaard years ago, saying "evil never sleeps," so it's possible the chairman might never be ultimately stopped if they consider that again.
Yeah, I've just heard Dead Of Night, and as soon as Connie said 'Sounds like Novacom" I saw why Kathy wanted Eugene to be in this, he would have fit perfectly, and the plot with buck could have been him discovering all this stuff about his adoptive parents. As for Jason having a chip in his brain, I had that idea years ago, I just never got around to writing it down. The details are even the same, which is why I think this is where the 'will Jason have to sacrifice himself to save everyone" come in. cause that's how my idea worked, the chip worked unless there was no electrical activity, ie, you died.

I like how Connie's helping out with the investigation, it kinda reminded me of one of those Jason/Connie fanfics. Also, can Jillian seriously arrest Jason due to someone hacking into his brain? he's not doing it willingly.
Polehaus53
Cookies & Creme

Ah, yes, “Dead of Night”. \:D/ Here some of are my thoughts:
Very interesting that Sky Feldstein is skipping town. To visit her supposed sick mother, huh? I’m still in shock over the revelation about her. I bet her father, Guy Feldstein, wouldn’t be very happy if he found out. :noway: Oh, and now that the thought is in my head, I think we need to have him make an appearance! Maybe he can lecture Sky and convince her to turn herself in. I’m sure that it’ll be entirely necessary for the plot to bring him back. :yes: :P

I enjoyed the continued Detective Polehaus and Officer Burke interactions in this episode, their exchanges were humorous.

So, apparently Jillian is a Christian. I wish that this had been made clear in her earlier episodes. It’s starting to look like she will indeed end up getting married to Jason at some point. Emphasis on the words “at some point”. It’ll probably be a long time into the future if it does happen. And that’s assuming everyone survives this whole album.

Jason having a chip implanted in his brain? And unwillingly unknowingly saying the codes for launching the missiles in his sleep, the thoughts being brought about by the chip? To quote Jay Smouse, “Now that’s just creepy”. :anxious: It’s quite an interesting situation that they’re in. I’m going to call it: they’ll have to shoot him or something in order to prevent him from giving out confidential information. That sounds pretty dark, though. :anxious: But with the summary for this album mentioning the possibility of Jason having to sacrifice himself, this makes sense.

Also, this episode is taking place during the very early morning hours. I’m not sure if I would say the title “Dead of Night” is accurate, but that’s probably just me nitpicking.

Patterson wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:47 pm

Good to see you back, Patterson! I don’t recall Joanne being mentioned at any point, I’m pretty sure he said that it was Jillian. But I could be wrong, I’d need to listen to “Morning” again.

Yeah, the reveal about Jillian is definitely that classic trope. It has been joked about in the past years, but it's even more surprising that it turned out that this is actually the case.

And yes, the lines regarding Jillian's intelligence in "Evening" were great. :lol: I can't imagine Connie's shock over Jillian being an agent, especially since she has been living with her for all this time and never suspected anything. It goes to show how good Jillian is as an agent. As I've said, possibly a perfect match for Jason, but I'm not going to go there just yet.
-Signed, PolehausFifty-three

Member of The Emily Rules Klub (est. 2012)

“We have it translated in every language: (กฎของเอมิลี่, Emily es la mejor, 艾米莉规则, Emily Quy tắc!, エミリーは最高です, emilyyay ulesray!, Эмили Правила!, Emily é a melhor, एमिली नियम!, Emily est la meilleure!, إميلي هي الأفضل!, Emily Kuralları!, אמילי שולטת!, Emily Regeln!, 에밀리 담당!, Si Emily ang pinakamahusay!, എമിലി രാജ്ഞിയാണ്!, એમિલી નિયમો!) that Emily RULES!”~The E.R.K.