Legally Wooton

Grab your AIO albums, and find a table! What makes your favorite episode the best? Have an episode you really dislike? This is the place to review and discuss AIO episodes and albums.
ASmouseInTheHouse
Cookies & Creme

Legally Wooton

So...this episode was interesting...
That birthday party opening scene was, um, worrying. Are there no parents at the parties to keep the kids in line? O.o Seriously, though, the kids are using a table as a battering ram and there are no other adults to stop them?
Also, a new Chris intro, so that's interesting.
As for the rest of the episode, I don't know what I think. It was nice to hear Simon Jones again.
What do you guys think?
"Next up, Mark Morgan's message to all math maniacs in the middle school is meaningful if you mingle by the mezzanine for a momentous mix of methodological mayhem and a menagerie of multiplicative inversions. Ha ha ha! I bet I could say this backwards. Inversions multiplicative of menagerie a and mayhem methodological..."
Polehaus53
Cookies & Creme

Here are some of my thoughts:
Wow, this episode was something else. O.o I feel like a good amount of this episode contained stuff that only older listeners would understand and appreciate. This whole episode in its plot and dialogue had a different feel to it, I think. “Legally Wooton” is the first episode by a new writer: Jesse Kellum IV. I can say I liked it! Very unique episode!

Yeah, the opening scene was a bit crazy. Very chaotic with that naughty kid Marsha running around, spiking a volleyball, jumping through hula hoop on the ceiling, and breaking down the door with a table as a battering ram. It seems as though there have been quite a few birthdays being hosted at Whit’s End lately. In “Much Ado About Jealousy”, “Judge Me Tender” and then this one we have large birthdays going on with Connie in charge. I would be interested in hearing an episode about a birthday party at Whit’s End. The stuff going on in the beginning could’ve been an episode in itself. Very naughty kids. :lol:

Actually, something just occurred to me! What if the opening scene with the crazy, chaotic kids was meant to serve as reflection of the negative impact Happy Porpoise was having on the kids? Hear me out: Wooton is hesitant to confront Terry. But then Wooton and Penny look through the comic book and see that Happy Porpoise is not being very nice: she’s robbing from the rich, being “exclusionary” (interesting word choice…), and not sharing. Immediately after, Marsha and the kids start breaking down the door and Connie rushes over to intervene. Penny asks, “Well, Wooton?” expectantly and Wooton agrees to meet with Terry. Could it have been that the kids in the birthday party were acting the way they were because of Wooton’s Jolly Dolphin being changed into the unkind Happy Porpoise? The kids like Happy Porpoise, and Marsha was even wearing a Happy Porpoise costume. When Wooton talks to Terry he says that that Terry has turned his character into something bad, and he can’t let a creation of his negatively influence kids. Could the negative influence be referring to the rowdy kids in the opening scene?? I don’t know why, but somehow, when listening through that scene again, this thought occurred to me. However, this is probably too much of a stretch. I’m probably overanalyzing this. If the point of that scene was to portray the negative impact the character was having on the kids, then I think it would’ve been shown more clearly. The party opening was likely meant to be a comedic scene, I think. A most unique one at that! :lol:

I had thought that the old friend of Wooton would be someone we knew, but it turned out to be an entirely new character: Terry Blaze. His character was most interesting: a 30-something year old still living with his mother who listens to motivation speeches to build his confidence. I liked his character and would be interested in learning more about him if he made appearances in future episodes. :yes:

We also hear the name of another character which Wooton created which we have not heard before: Horace the Flying Sponge, who Terry mentions. Was this another comic series that Wooton did? It obviously didn’t become as well-known as Captain Absolutely and Sleuth Family Robinson, but I’d still be interested in knowing who exactly this flying sponge named Horace is.

It was good to hear Simon Jones again! His line about not minding taking a long time because he’s being paid by the hour made me laugh. A very true statement reflective of lots of businesses today. :lol:

If I was studying law, I’m sure I would probably have a lot more to examine and break down about the legal aspects of this episode: the arbitration, copyright verses trademarking and their processes, the arguments used, and the technicality of the legality of the actions of the parties involved in this Wooton v. Terry case. However, since this is not my area, I will leave that to others.

I did find it interesting how after Wooton says that the Bible says to turn the other cheek and show mercy when someone does something bad to you, Penny says that this situation is different because what Terry is doing is morally wrong. I could also overanalyze this, but I think Penny’s point is valid and that there is A Time For Action and to step in if someone is doing something that goes too far and that others who do wrong will impact others. So, I think the theme of mercy and how Wooton, even after arbitration, was merciful to Terry was all very well done. :yes:

The way Simon had Wooton and Terry draw the character was good. I laughed when Simon said that Terry’s drawing looked like a cockroach. :lol:

It was a most interesting episode. Like I said, I feel like the things in this episode (lines about filibustering, Canada, copyright, the whole thing of arbitration, even Chris' wrap-up) were mostly aimed at older listeners.

So, overall, I liked this episode! The latest episode of the Official Adventures in Odyssey Podcast features an interview with the writer Jesse Kellum IV, so I recommend checking it out. I look forward to hearing more of the writing Jesse Kellum IV in the future. \:D/
-Signed, PolehausFifty-three

Member of The Emily Rules Klub (est. 2012)

“We have it translated in every language: (กฎของเอมิลี่, Emily es la mejor, 艾米莉规则, Emily Quy tắc!, エミリーは最高です, emilyyay ulesray!, Эмили Правила!, Emily é a melhor, एमिली नियम!, Emily est la meilleure!, إميلي هي الأفضل!, Emily Kuralları!, אמילי שולטת!, Emily Regeln!, 에밀리 담당!, Si Emily ang pinakamahusay!, എമിലി രാജ്ഞിയാണ്!, એમિલી નિયમો!) that Emily RULES!”~The E.R.K.
Bob
Caramel Crunch

I haven't heard this episode yet, not being a Club member, but I wanted to reply while the 'iron is hot'. Like with the other review thread I posted on the other day, I may post a review of my own here when it is available.
Polehaus53 wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:11 pm
Could the negative influence be referring to the rowdy kids in the opening scene??
Definitely; you don't need to feel self-conscious about pointing it out.

Sin isn't funny. We may find humor in a character doing something merely ignorant, but we aren't supposed to be entertained by immoral behavior. From what both of you have said, the opening scene can be summed up as 'chaotic' and 'worrying'. The order of events, as you described them, lays out a causal connection; Wooton makes up his mind not just 'after' the children's ill behavior, but at least partly in response to it.

This connection between bad media and an evil influence on children is something of a recurring theme in Odyssey. The clearest parallel I can think of is in "The Battle", where Mr. Whittaker visits Blackgaard's Castle and learns that it is a chaotic madhouse where children run amok. In that case, among other issues (a general lack of discipline and order, the noise being an attack on the senses, etc.), Mr. Whittaker specifically questions Dr. Blackgaard about whether he feels it is appropriate to introduce children to the occult. We know that 'rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft', and as such it is orthodox to suggest that this character is having a negative impact on children; a bad influence is a bad influence, even if it isn't itself as overt or as dramatic as other bad influences are, and even if it is dressed in pretty colors.

We can't know Mr. Kellum and/or the AIO team's intentions for sure without asking, but writers generally do not include so much material in a story with no useful purpose in mind. It is my opinion that this interpretation of the episode's events is both likely and reasonable.
A classic never goes out of style.
Polehaus53
Cookies & Creme

Bob wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:11 pm
We can't know Mr. Kellum and/or the AIO team's intentions for sure without asking, but writers generally do not include so much material in a story with no useful purpose in mind. It is my opinion that this interpretation of the episode's events is both likely and reasonable.
Thanks for the reply, Bob! That does make sense. The main reason why I went into so much detail and analysis is because it took me a few listens to actually catch this. I feel like the way it was written in the episode wasn't quite making it clear, I think that this could have been more explicitly stated. But perhaps that's just me.
I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on the episode when you hear it!

Polehaus53 wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:11 pm
The latest episode of the Official Adventures in Odyssey Podcast features an interview with the writer Jesse Kellum IV, so I recommend checking it out. I look forward to hearing more of the writing Jesse Kellum IV in the future. \:D/
Although I recommended this in my previous post, I didn't actually listen. I just recently heard the interview, and I can now say that I recommend listening, I found it quite interesting to hear Jesse Kellum's story and the writing process regarding this episode. Be sure to listen if you can! :yes:
-Signed, PolehausFifty-three

Member of The Emily Rules Klub (est. 2012)

“We have it translated in every language: (กฎของเอมิลี่, Emily es la mejor, 艾米莉规则, Emily Quy tắc!, エミリーは最高です, emilyyay ulesray!, Эмили Правила!, Emily é a melhor, एमिली नियम!, Emily est la meilleure!, إميلي هي الأفضل!, Emily Kuralları!, אמילי שולטת!, Emily Regeln!, 에밀리 담당!, Si Emily ang pinakamahusay!, എമിലി രാജ്ഞിയാണ്!, એમિલી નિયમો!) that Emily RULES!”~The E.R.K.