A Friend in Need

Your membership into the Adventures in Odyssey Club grants you a special key! Here is the place to discuss all of the club exclusive episodes.
ASmouseInTheHouse
Cookies & Creme

A Friend in Need

The episode Marshal Younger mentioned that would deal with Jay's home life!
As you guys can imagine, I am very happy with this episode, which showed a part of Jay that wasn't only food, comedy, or Zoe. :clap: And I am even happier that his dad actually appeared in the episode! Now, all we need is Mrs. Smouse.
Thoughts?
"Next up, Mark Morgan's message to all math maniacs in the middle school is meaningful if you mingle by the mezzanine for a momentous mix of methodological mayhem and a menagerie of multiplicative inversions. Ha ha ha! I bet I could say this backwards. Inversions multiplicative of menagerie a and mayhem methodological..."
djchatswithu
Cookies & Creme

ASmouseInTheHouse wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 2:20 pm
The episode Marshal Younger mentioned that would deal with Jay's home life!
As you guys can imagine, I am very happy with this episode, which showed a part of Jay that wasn't only food, comedy, or Zoe. :clap: And I am even happier that his dad actually appeared in the episode! Now, all we need is Mrs. Smouse.
Thoughts?
I'm not sure what to make of Nick Smouse, first he sounded similar like David Parker, just an average odyssey type father, but when he starts talking about baseball he sounds more like Eugene or Haurus. Interesting how Buck was the voice of reason here, and also that he only refers to Eugene as Dad when he was specifically talking about his relationship with him, that part made me want to cry.
Polehaus53
Cookies & Creme

I enjoyed this episode and thought it was pretty good! I like that we got to see some of Jay’s relationship with his father.

Allow me to first give a more negative note, getting into my main complaint: I’m still not a fan of Jay’s obsession with Zoe being shown all the time. His comments and actions (getting her to be his partner in the project without permission, referring to her as “the source of all earthly beauty", etc.) just go too far in my opinion. However, it seems as though Zoe isn’t planning to stand up to him anytime soon. I understand that by this point, Jay’s liking and pursuit of Zoe is meant to be a joke. I’m pretty sure the AIO Team doesn’t mean anything bad, and I understand this is probably not meant to be taken so seriously; however, I am still not in favor of it. But perhaps I’m just overthinking things and am just grumbling and making a big deal out of nothing. So, I’ll let it slide and not this cloud my judgment of this episode.

On a more positive note, I liked that we hear about what Buck has been up to since his adoption in “As Buck Would Have It”. Collecting algae for Eugene sounds very interesting. Is Eugene continuing his experiments with algae from “Breaking News”? Buck’s lines about Eugene also made me sad, reminding me that we probably won’t be able to hear these interactions between them.

We’ve got the return of Jay’s cousin, Vincent, who was involved in “Please Adjust Your Frequency”. Although he doesn’t appear, his actions which Jay described are what resulted in the events of this episode. I would be interested in having Vincent make an appearance in an episode, I’d like to hear his interactions with Jay.

I was surprised that Buck made an appearance here. I wonder what pizza place he works at. Is it one that has appeared in Odyssey before? Perhaps Mr. Happy’s Pizza? Or maybe Pizza City? I would have liked to have the name of the place he works. The part with Buck’s messy car and Jay’s commentary about it was pretty funny. :lol: I can just imagine the mess (totally not because I can relate, or anything… :anxious: :mrgreen:).

Oh, and this episode featured Odyssey artist Gary Locke in his first acting role in Odyssey! He played Tony, the guy at the pizza place. That’s a pretty fun cameo. :yes:

This episode felt a bit more like a mystery episode than I had expected. I had thought that the episode would feature more of Jay and his family. Don’t get me wrong: I really did like the mystery aspect overall; it just wasn’t quite what I was expecting. I actually can’t recall the last time we had one of these investigative type of episodes, so I’m glad that we got that here.

I would have liked to have more scenes with Jay and his father. However, I do really like what we’ve got. Jay truly wishes to be closer to his father and he proves this through his actions in this episode. I was quite impressed with how he relentlessly chased down every lead to find the card. He had a pretty rude attitude throughout his search, but I think that this was because of his true desire to find the card so that he could have that time with Nick. Jay’s efforts pay off. At the end of the day, Jay is actually able to connect with his father through the baseball card.

I thought the episode’s message at the end was really good! We should put the interests of others first, remembering that they are created in God’s image. They are worth our time and attention, even if we do not share the same interests. Romans 12:10 is a great verse which shows this. Chris’ wrap-up at the end summed it up very well, as usual. It is not very often when I walk away impressed with an episode’s moral, so that adds on my praise of this episode. :clap:

Overall, I thought this episode was good! Great focus on Jay and his family, an excellent moral, and a generally fun story. My applause to Abigail Geiger for writing this episode, I enjoyed it! :clap: :clap: :clap:
-Signed, PolehausFifty-three

Member of The Emily Rules Klub (est. 2012)

“We have it translated in every language: (กฎของเอมิลี่, Emily es la mejor, 艾米莉规则, Emily Quy tắc!, エミリーは最高です, emilyyay ulesray!, Эмили Правила!, Emily é a melhor, एमिली नियम!, Emily est la meilleure!, إميلي هي الأفضل!, Emily Kuralları!, אמילי שולטת!, Emily Regeln!, 에밀리 담당!, Si Emily ang pinakamahusay!, എമിലി രാജ്ഞിയാണ്!, એમિલી નિયમો!) that Emily RULES!”~The E.R.K.