In For A Penny

Your membership into the Adventures in Odyssey Club grants you a special key! Here is the place to discuss all of the club exclusive episodes.
ASmouseInTheHouse
Cookies & Creme

In For A Penny

What are your thoughts on this episode?
Artwork:
Maybe it's just me, but I feel like all of Penny's artwork is getting quite repetitive. The artwork was similar to "Search for a Sunflower" mainly because of Penny's unchanging outfit. I know that most AIO characters wear the same clothes, but for some reason, Penny's particular wardrobe appearing so often is slightly annoying me. :?

General:
I couldn't really figure out the Ben story: a student who is good in class and good at art, paints a gory mural, and then fixes it. What was the point of that storyline? I mean, I get that Penny encouraged Ben to do more with his art, but I feel like there could have been more to it. On the other hand, the Kyle story was much more clear-cut.
Overall, it was an average episode. Since we're in the Club, there's not much else to say with regards to character development.
"Next up, Mark Morgan's message to all math maniacs in the middle school is meaningful if you mingle by the mezzanine for a momentous mix of methodological mayhem and a menagerie of multiplicative inversions. Ha ha ha! I bet I could say this backwards. Inversions multiplicative of menagerie a and mayhem methodological..."
Polehaus53
Cookies & Creme

This episode was interesting. I thought it was fine overall, with about an equal number of pluses and minuses for me.

The general layout of the plot kind of confuses me.
ASmouseInTheHouse wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 5:06 pm
I couldn't really figure out the Ben story: a student who is good in class and good at art, paints a gory mural, and then fixes it. What was the point of that storyline? I mean, I get that Penny encouraged Ben to do more with his art, but I feel like there could have been more to it.
I as well was confused about this part. I agree that more could have been done with it. I would say that I feel like it didn’t tie into the overall theme or plot of the episode very well, but one could argue that it does, since Penny, as Chris says in the wraps, uses her talent in art to serve and encourage the students at juvenile detention center, including Ben, even after painting a disgusting battle scene. I don’t know; I’ll probably have to hear this episode a few more times before going deeper into it.

But let’s focus on the positives: It was good to hear Juan Reyes again. He last appeared in the 2018 Club episode “Beyond Repair”, so I liked that he appeared again in this episode. I had hoped that Becky would also appear, but she sadly didn’t. Oh, well. Maybe in another episode.

The scene where Connie, Penny, and Juan react to Ben’s gory painting was absolutely hilarious! I couldn’t stop laughing. :lol:
However, although it was meant to be humorous, I think that Penny and Connie may have overreacted a bit, though, and some of their commentary was unnecessary, especially since Ben was standing right there. But maybe that’s just me overthinking things.

I did not see it coming that Kyle was color blind, so I was actually surprised by that reveal. I liked how Penny gives Kyle the color correction glasses for to help him. When I first heard that scene, I initially thought that this was a piece of technology that was just made up for the episode. However, upon asking and doing some research, I found that that there are actually Color Blind Correction Glasses out there for those who are color blind. I had not been aware of this fact before, so having that in this episode was pretty cool for me.

This episode had some great sound design! The scene where Kyle overturns his desk and throws the jar of paintbrushes was great with some well-done sound effects. I thought the sound in this episode was really good, my compliments to the excellent work of Luke Guenot! :clap: :clap:

Overall, although I need to hear it a few more times before forming a more solid opinion, I think I’ll just say that this episode was fine. It seems as though Abigail Geiger has been writing a lot of Bassett episodes lately starring Penny or Wooton. Which I think she does fine with. This is Geiger’s 7th episode to be released. Out of her seven episodes, only three of them are in albums. I just wish that more of her episodes would appear in the mainstream albums instead of just Club exclusive episodes so that more people could hear them.
-Signed, PolehausFifty-three

Member of The Emily Rules Klub (est. 2012)

“We have it translated in every language: (กฎของเอมิลี่, Emily es la mejor, 艾米莉规则, Emily Quy tắc!, エミリーは最高です, emilyyay ulesray!, Эмили Правила!, Emily é a melhor, एमिली नियम!, Emily est la meilleure!, إميلي هي الأفضل!, Emily Kuralları!, אמילי שולטת!, Emily Regeln!, 에밀리 담당!, Si Emily ang pinakamahusay!, എമിലി രാജ്ഞിയാണ്!, એમિલી નિયમો!) that Emily RULES!”~The E.R.K.
djchatswithu
Cookies & Creme

ASmouseInTheHouse wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 5:06 pm
What are your thoughts on this episode?
Artwork:
Maybe it's just me, but I feel like all of Penny's artwork is getting quite repetitive. The artwork was similar to "Search for a Sunflower" mainly because of Penny's unchanging outfit. I know that most AIO characters wear the same clothes, but for some reason, Penny's particular wardrobe appearing so often is slightly annoying me. :?

General:
I couldn't really figure out the Ben story: a student who is good in class and good at art, paints a gory mural, and then fixes it. What was the point of that storyline? I mean, I get that Penny encouraged Ben to do more with his art, but I feel like there could have been more to it. On the other hand, the Kyle story was much more clear-cut.
Overall, it was an average episode. Since we're in the Club, there's not much else to say with regards to character development.
I also do find the limited artwork of some characters annoying, I mean, how many outfits have Whit/Connie/Eugene/Wooton been seen it (albeit mainly in promotional/Club artwork). I get that it makes them easier recognise but why couldn't they at least change Penny's top, or give Connie a different colour sweater, and we know that Eugene has about a half dozen boxes of vests (plus that one Connie made for him).

I think the Ben plot was there partly to help balance out the main plot with Kyle. it's a bit more interesting than listening to Penny spend the whole episode trying to connect With Kyle, and I'll admit that I did find the reactions to Ben's work quite humorous. I also imagined Tom seeing it and asking God why he wasn't stopping Ben.
jubihm09
Vanilla

I think the episodes with Penny and Connie are getting quite repetitive, but that's just me. Anybody agree?
Polehaus53
Cookies & Creme

Regarding the artwork for this episode, I'd say it looks fine overall, but I think it could've been a bit more interesting. I prefer the Club artwork which has action happening in it, and I think this month's art could have depicted something other than Penny and Connie carrying boxes, such as the scene where Kyle wrecks the classroom, or some other scene with action. It would have been funny if it was of Penny, Connie and Juan reacting to Ben’s mural. :lol: But overall, I think it's fine.
jubihm09 wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:00 pm
I think the episodes with Penny and Connie are getting quite repetitive, but that's just me. Anybody agree?
I agree, there have been quite a bit of Penny and Connie episodes lately. “Search for A Sunflower” featured the two of them, and then this month’s episode also starred them. I’m not sure if I’d say it’s repetitive yet, but I do agree they’ve been appearing a lot. Personally, I don’t mind hearing Connie and Penny interactions. I also don’t mind Penny appearing without Wooton. Wooton has appeared in a ton of episodes, and I think Penny needs to catch up. But yeah, if the two of them continue to appear a whole bunch more times, then that definitely might become old and unnecessarily repetitious. Good observation!
djchatswithu wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:41 am
I think the Ben plot was there partly to help balance out the main plot with Kyle. it's a bit more interesting than listening to Penny spend the whole episode trying to connect With Kyle, and I'll admit that I did find the reactions to Ben's work quite humorous.
Good point. I didn’t consider this. Having a balance between the two storylines of a naughty student and a good student actually does make sense.
-Signed, PolehausFifty-three

Member of The Emily Rules Klub (est. 2012)

“We have it translated in every language: (กฎของเอมิลี่, Emily es la mejor, 艾米莉规则, Emily Quy tắc!, エミリーは最高です, emilyyay ulesray!, Эмили Правила!, Emily é a melhor, एमिली नियम!, Emily est la meilleure!, إميلي هي الأفضل!, Emily Kuralları!, אמילי שולטת!, Emily Regeln!, 에밀리 담당!, Si Emily ang pinakamahusay!, എമിലി രാജ്ഞിയാണ്!, એમિલી નિયમો!) that Emily RULES!”~The E.R.K.