Teach a Man

Your membership into the Adventures in Odyssey Club grants you a special key! Here is the place to discuss all of the club exclusive episodes.
Carl
Caramel Crunch

Teach a Man

What did you all think of this episode, I really liked it.

I have to say my favorite scene is the one where jay plays his movie. I totally predicted that Jay would do a romance story based on him and Zoe. My favorite line of dialogue is:
Javier: Jay.
Anna: Zoe.
Zoe: What!!
Buckles shipper. Visit my Odyssey website at http://odyssey-news.com/.

Trista: Isn't it great to be an indevidual now, not just someone who wears what society tells them to wear?
Jules: But your telling my what to wear.
Trista: Of course, I'm your publicist, it's my job.

~#902 California Dreams, Part 1~
ASmouseInTheHouse
Cookies & Creme

I have mixed feelings about this episode.
The Jay and Zoe thing is getting annoying if you ask me. It was funny at first (Take It On Trust), but now I'm tired of it. Jay following Zoe on a mission trip is seriously extreme. I was kinda hoping (as usual) Zoe would tell Jay off in this episode.

But I think it was interesting to see a new aspect of Jay. I thought he would be goofing off the whole time like he was at the beginning of the class (going to the beach, etc.) and then get in trouble, but the opposite happened. It was interesting to hear Jay do something...good (in a very general sense) after the Jay in Out of Her Element and Millstones. The question is, will Jay be back to his troublemaking self after the mission trip? Very likely. In general I wish that Jay was developed more rather than being just the funny guy.

Those are things that stood out to me in this episode. I don't want to write a super long post, so I'll stop there. :lol: I'm giving this episode 3.8 out of 5 stars.
"Next up, Mark Morgan's message to all math maniacs in the middle school is meaningful if you mingle by the mezzanine for a momentous mix of methodological mayhem and a menagerie of multiplicative inversions. Ha ha ha! I bet I could say this backwards. Inversions multiplicative of menagerie a and mayhem methodological..."
Monica Stone
Caramel Crunch

ASmouseInTheHouse wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:28 pm
The Jay and Zoe thing is getting annoying if you ask me. It was funny at first (Take It On Trust), but now I'm tired of it. Jay following Zoe on a mission trip is seriously extreme. I was kinda hoping (as usual) Zoe would tell Jay off in this episode.
This dynamic was funny for about two episodes but it's gotten so extreme and has the audacity to play itself as comedic. He is a literal stalker. He was stealthily watching her from a bush ("Shame About Fame"), purposely cheated on his test to be assigned to a funeral home with her ("Not What I Expected"), and now is following her own mission trips. Stop. Putting even the stalker element aside, he does not respect Zoe's general boundaries at all. He makes weird jokes about them being an item despite her explicitly telling him to stop. And he continuously asks her out ("Lifted Out of Context") anyway.

Zoe has told Jay off many times. He even said himself in Out of Her Element, "I've been rejected lots of times." He just will not take "no" for an answer. At this point, she literally can't do anything except avoid him as she can, so she makes jokes out of the situation. I'm so done with this "relationship." It's creepy and awkward. Some funny lines come out of it, but at what cost? I hate being the Karen that screams, "this tiny thing in media will send kids a bad message!" but honestly, this is a bad relationship portrayed in a positive light for laughs. Having an episode on respecting others, using Jay & Zoe's relationship as a demonstration, would be great. That's what I was hoping this episode would be but, alas, it was not.

#WhitShouldHaveSteppedIn
Be the reason someone smiles today.
Polehaus53
Cookies & Creme

This episode was interesting. I've been looking forward to this episode since October 2019, which was when the AIO team first announced it and released the summary. I liked it, but as everyone has said, I didn't quite like Jay chasing after Zoe.
Monica Stone wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:04 pm
ASmouseInTheHouse wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:28 pm
This dynamic was funny for about two episodes but it's gotten so extreme and has the audacity to play itself as comedic. He is a literal stalker.
I completely agree with this. Ever since Jay returned to Odyssey in "Sir Buddy's Snowy Day", he has just been chasing Zoe everywhere. It's very rare when he appears in an episode without following (or constantly mentioning) Zoe. It's getting old. I think the AIO team can do better things with Jay instead of making him stalk Zoe. And yes, chasing her to Honduras is going too far.
Monica Stone wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:04 pm
Having an episode on respecting others, using Jay & Zoe's relationship as a demonstration, would be great. That's what I was hoping this episode would be but, alas, it was not.
I, as well, had also hoped that this is was what the episode would be about. After all, the episode is called "Teach a Man". I thought Jay would be taught a lesson. But he wasn't. And yes, Whit should have stepped in. But he didn't. He literally just ignores it all. I thought he might try to set Jay straight, especially after seeing what Jay filmed. Zoe even protests about it. But Whit just casually says, "That was very entertaining. But not the kind of content we're after." And that's it. He merges their groups together, says to "come up with an inspiring story to show at the end of the week", and doesn't say anything more after that. Immediately after, Jay says something like, "See, Zoe? You've got to stop denying our chemistry together!" Zoe groans, but Whit still stays silent and the scene ends. Maybe Whit didn't think it was a big deal?

As for the rest of the episode, I figured that the 'little Miguel' video would turn out to be something else. Jay predicted it and I knew he would be right.

I liked how Jay mentions his 'expertise' from being on the Family Survivor TV show. Great continuity regarding Jay's absence and return.

And we apparently now have the official age range for Zoe. She says to Miguel, "I'm a teenager!" when he claims that she is eight years old. I'm sure all the AIO fans who like speculating character's ages are happy about that.

I have one question. If the reason Whit split Jay and Zoe into separate groups was because there were too many kids, then why did Whit just put them back together at the end? They still have the problem of having only 2 tablets.

Overall, I liked this episode. The main thing I didn't like about it, as I mentioned, was the Jay-chasing-Zoe thing. Apart from that, everything else was great! This episode gets 3 and a half stars from me.
-Signed, PolehausFifty-three

Member of The Emily Rules Klub (est. 2012)

“We have it translated in every language: (กฎของเอมิลี่, Emily es la mejor, 艾米莉规则, Emily Quy tắc!, エミリーは最高です, emilyyay ulesray!, Эмили Правила!, Emily é a melhor, एमिली नियम!, Emily est la meilleure!, إميلي هي الأفضل!, Emily Kuralları!, אמילי שולטת!, Emily Regeln!, 에밀리 담당!, Si Emily ang pinakamahusay!, എമിലി രാജ്ഞിയാണ്!, એમિલી નિયમો!) that Emily RULES!”~The E.R.K.