Millstones

Your membership into the Adventures in Odyssey Club grants you a special key! Here is the place to discuss all of the club exclusive episodes.
Carl
Caramel Crunch

Millstones

What did you guys think of the episode "Millstones", I just listened to it!
Buckles shipper. Visit my Odyssey website at http://odyssey-news.com/.

Trista: Isn't it great to be an indevidual now, not just someone who wears what society tells them to wear?
Jules: But your telling my what to wear.
Trista: Of course, I'm your publicist, it's my job.

~#902 California Dreams, Part 1~
ASmouseInTheHouse
Cookies & Creme

This episode was...interesting.
First of all, what was up with Connie? She was really out of character. She was willing to use the money, even after she learned how Jay obtained it (even Buck knew better in The Long End). Maybe if this episode took place in her early days (like in Album 4 or something) I could understand. But now? You'd think Connie would know better and handle the situation more...maturely, instead of yelling at the youth group and being rude to Wilson.
I didn't have a problem with the Renee storyline. That part was ok as far as Club Episodes go. Nice that they mentioned Whitonia and Astan Lebernis.
I also have to ask, what's up with Jay? What's his deal with ice cream/food lately? He's also been getting into deeper trouble, such as impersonating someone in Out of Her Element, and now blackmail. I didn't think Jay would do that. He seems to be the kind of person who teases others and pulls the occasional prank. Blackmailing sounds more like something Vance would come up with. I don't think Jay should be the replacement for past bullies, such as Vance and Valerie. He's not on their level. There should be a different bully doing what Jay is doing now. Maybe even Mickey and Hugo from Rightly Dividing.
Halfway through the episode, I was thinking, "Ok, this has got to be a Room of Consequence thing. This is too weird..." Actually, I would have liked this to be an ROC adventure rather than a real episode.
On a positive note, it was cool that Pamela was brought back. Where's she been all these years? ;)
"Next up, Mark Morgan's message to all math maniacs in the middle school is meaningful if you mingle by the mezzanine for a momentous mix of methodological mayhem and a menagerie of multiplicative inversions. Ha ha ha! I bet I could say this backwards. Inversions multiplicative of menagerie a and mayhem methodological..."
Bren
Cookie Dough
Cookie Dough

I would've been interested to hear about Pams kid.
PennyBassett
Fudge Marble

I need to listen to it again, but I actually really liked it, and kind of for the same reasons ASMouseInTheHouse disliked it. Connie has felt so stagnant lately, it was actually great to see her make mistakes, and fall into some less mature, but I think still realistic outbursts. I think one of the huge reasons it felt in character to me was one, what motivated her decisions, and two, how Whit handled it. She was motivated by her love for Pam, and a feeling of injustice. I can understand that feeling, and I think a lot of older listeners do. Connie is a person who expresses her emotions outwardly. So whether she's motivated by anger, grief, or love, she is going to show it. She even says at some point that she can't bottle her emotions up. (Someone find that, because i can't remember what episode that's in rn) Whit handles her behavior, not like he did when she was in high school, but he treated her as the mature adult he knows she is. He approached the situation with grace acknowledging the vast relational history they have. As far as Jay, I felt like he was very in character. To me, it sounded like he was just growing up. Blackmail like this is super in character for him. What is he now? 16 or 17? It makes perfect sense for him to move on to bigger schemes. And lets not forget who probably got him into the bullying business in the first place. You're right, he's not a replacement bully, but he was mentored by one of the best. Also, yeah, having him mention ice cream and his soda tab so much might be lazy writing, but at the same time, I kinda relate, ya know? Ice cream is good, and if you don't have the cash, you don't have the cash. I might change my mind on all of this later because it's six in the morning and I've only listened to it once, like I said.
"Let me get this straight. I bet all those non-friends of yours try to embarrass you about your love for that stuff, right? So, you almost feel like you have to hide your treasures away and can only take them out in secret on rainy days when your mom goes to the store to get more liver and nobody is around to berate your sensitive spirit. Is that what you’re saying?" -Jay Smouse
Carl
Caramel Crunch

PennyBassett wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:58 am
I need to listen to it again, but I actually really liked it, and kind of for the same reasons ASMouseInTheHouse disliked it. Connie has felt so stagnant lately, it was actually great to see her make mistakes, and fall into some less mature, but I think still realistic outbursts. I think one of the huge reasons it felt in character to me was one, what motivated her decisions, and two, how Whit handled it. She was motivated by her love for Pam, and a feeling of injustice. I can understand that feeling, and I think a lot of older listeners do. Connie is a person who expresses her emotions outwardly. So whether she's motivated by anger, grief, or love, she is going to show it. She even says at some point that she can't bottle her emotions up. (Someone find that, because i can't remember what episode that's in rn) Whit handles her behavior, not like he did when she was in high school, but he treated her as the mature adult he knows she is. He approached the situation with grace acknowledging the vast relational history they have. As far as Jay, I felt like he was very in character. To me, it sounded like he was just growing up. Blackmail like this is super in character for him. What is he now? 16 or 17? It makes perfect sense for him to move on to bigger schemes. And lets not forget who probably got him into the bullying business in the first place. You're right, he's not a replacement bully, but he was mentored by one of the best. Also, yeah, having him mention ice cream and his soda tab so much might be lazy writing, but at the same time, I kinda relate, ya know? Ice cream is good, and if you don't have the cash, you don't have the cash. I might change my mind on all of this later because it's six in the morning and I've only listened to it once, like I said.
I agree!

Trista: Isn't it great to be an indevidual now, not just someone who wears what society tells them to wear?

Bren
Cookie Dough
Cookie Dough

Connie took a lot of her frustrations from missing Whit out on Jack years ago. So, maybe this isn't so out of character for her after all.
Carl
Caramel Crunch

Bren wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:23 am
Connie took a lot of her frustrations from missing Whit out on Jack years ago. So, maybe this isn't so out of character for her after all.
Hmmm, very true.

Woobou
Vanilla

Hmm. Wasn’t my favorite. Connie went back to age 16 with her throwing fits. And it was weird that she was so trusting and willing to help Jay. Jay’s scheming wasn’t as big of a shock to me as Connie’s behavior. This club season needs to step it up!
Lime jello. Carburetors. Fresh stick anti-perspirant. Ant farms. Sea monkeys. Cheese.